2 VS 2 PVP Arena

Brawling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZrGE3VLiSk

Why did Blizzard decided to scrap this mode?
This is exactly the kind of end-game activity D3 has been missing.
The core problem with PvP today is meta builds. (As a rule I don't PvP so take this as a grain of salt).

Class Balance is in the trash enough as it is, working on PvP would force them to make a massive balance patch to bring all classes into power balance.

Kind of what this next patch does. Once we see how this patch actually works out it might be time for a feature request.
There was several issues with class performance and balance. Then there was the RNG of items that caused a huge split in power diversity which meant setting up fair fights was really difficult.

Then came the ideas of loot 2.0 and with it the new items, which is also called the birth of powercreep, and that meant damage skyrocketed. So PVP was about to become a 1-shot festival, and the concept was scrapped in favour of more PvM focus, and they just went on from there.

PvP was scrapped so hard, that they removed everything about it from their website and their own promotional stuff.
So basically it all comes down to Power Creep killed PvP, and the failure of core design
In any ARPG PvP is a sticky mess. RNG is the monarch of who wins. This was the case in D2 as well. I have even an amusing tale of my own to reinforce that point. In a standard MMORPG like WoW the exact balances are easy to configure. You generally know what is going to enter the battle and the stats are within a general area.

---

With something like D3 where items are so skewed that attack rotations of one class are hard enough to balance against itself, imagine trying to balance not the seven classes but then we have four class sets. We end up having twenty-eight different possible basic builds plus who knows how many sub builds, and LoN based builds.

Plus there are some classes that the builds are mix and matched between sets, like Wizard Archon types.

---

In MMOs like WoW, even with 12 classes it is "generally" easy to balance since there is a line on a graph they draw to denote what stats on what gear. This is projected by ilvl.

While there is "some" variance on gear it isn't in the base stats (Str, Int, Dex, Stam) and it does average out in the end.

---

In an ARPG there is no flat line control or ilvls. One ancient Legendary item may be terrible and another awesome just because the numbers rolled different. So two people with the same gear and same skills may compare on glance but the stats on the gear could be night and day in difference.

The range of the base stat on a non-ancient Magefist is 40 points. That alone could be enough of a difference to swing a fight. Just remember how many items and how many slots. The rolls, the stat types, the stat slots, gems.

PvP is just untenable in a system like D3. D2 was less so but there were still unexpected possibilities that would arise.
PvP works great in PoE.

Not sure why the D3 dev's can't figure it out. It's not rocket science.
09/03/2017 08:36 AMPosted by Taiga
PvP works great in PoE.

Lol nothing works great in PoE. Go play D2 with FF 10 running on your TV, do everything really really slowly in D2, and every time you gain a level, socket a sphere in FF 10's grid.

There. I just made PoE for you.
09/03/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Japhasca
PvP works great in PoE.

Lol nothing works great in PoE. Go play D2 with FF 10 running on your TV, do everything really really slowly in D2, and every time you gain a level, socket a sphere in FF 10's grid.

That actually sounds fun.
Glad PvP was scrap
09/03/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Japhasca
PvP works great in PoE.

This is the build I'm currently running in PoE.

https://heigaming.blogspot.com/2017/08/Marauder-Cyclone-Build.html

Enjoy your slow, shallow arcade game. I'll be playing a real man's game.

If the footage in this video looks like FFX to you then I guess D3 caused more brain damage than I thought possible.
09/03/2017 02:54 PMPosted by Taiga
I'll be playing a real man's game.

Hockey?!?!