What happened to the Primal Drop Rate?

General Discussion
Hello

So I have been playing the game since it's inception, and seasons continually.

I recent came back August 1st to try the new season, it took me a day to hit 70 and since I recently had surgery and am off for 2 weeks, I have been playing for the past week around 7-8 hours a day.

To date I have used at least 4000 forgotten souls reforging items since I hit GR70, and shortly after I did I got a primal (useless) compass rose which I junked.

Since then I haven't seen A SINGLE PRIMAL. Not one, and while I know they are supposed to be rare, like 1%. 4000 legendaries later I haven't seen a single one. What in the hell is going on?

I know the drop rate was scarce, last season I probably found about 20 and all but one was useless. Maybe I am just having bad luck? I am also completely unable to get any ancients on either my inarius or rathma sets so maybe I'm cursed. I have spent about 20,000 blood shards gambling helmets and can't get a single ancient, also spent 20+ re rolls on wisdom of kunan and can't get a usable amulet. So maybe this season just sucks for me.
Nothing. Best and rarest items in the game. Have fun grinding.
09/07/2017 04:54 PMPosted by Greentea101

Best is a misnomer. Often affixes roll un-optimized rendering the primal x15 souls.
So is it still 1%?

Because I am about ready to call BS on that. Like quite frankly finding 1 this entire season is completely insane to me.
09/07/2017 04:56 PMPosted by Ghostpos
09/07/2017 04:54 PMPosted by Greentea101

Best is a misnomer. Often affixes roll un-optimized rendering the primal x15 souls.

Such is life in Diablo 3.
How much do you play i got a mule full of them. and like 7 more I'm holding in my box all i play right now is 6--8 hr a day.
I've been playing about 24-30 hours I think since I hit GR 70, and have only found one. So I was starting to question what in the hell blizzard did to the drop rate.
09/07/2017 07:04 PMPosted by Malecite
I've been playing about 24-30 hours I think since I hit GR 70, and have only found one.

Some people play 10x that amount and find nothing.
This game is about grinding, it's to easy as it is.
09/07/2017 07:11 PMPosted by LocknLoad
09/07/2017 07:04 PMPosted by Malecite
I've been playing about 24-30 hours I think since I hit GR 70, and have only found one.

Some people play 10x that amount and find nothing.
This game is about grinding, it's to easy as it is.

No one plays 300 hours and gets nothing. That is a ridiculous hyperbole.

I understand the game is a grind, which is why I still play it. But finding a single useless primal in 30 hours of gameplay makes me question as to why they are even in the game. The RNG needs to be balanced with the lack of tradable items, that is the core philosophy of the game. Perhaps I'm just having a horrible season, that certainly seems to be the case if they haven't done anything to the drop rate.
09/07/2017 07:29 PMPosted by Malecite
No one plays 300 hours and gets nothing.

But they do play that often and get no usable Primals.

RNG is RNG.
09/07/2017 04:58 PMPosted by Greentea101
Such is life in Diablo 3.

Imagine if that were life in general. You buy a brand new 10 pack of mechanical pens and identify them: 1 of them is a primal made from platinum and with brilliant jet black ink, but the mechanical button doesn't work. One is ancient and works perfectly, but it's made of lead and probably dangerous to handle (pen in mouth), the ink is pink and only so-so though... And the other 8 are plastic and have mediocre to near absent absent ink output and/or broken buttons all typically using unprofessional colors like fluorescent yellow or cyan except for one with dark blue ink.
just play the game, dont look for it too much :)
Last I saw, there was a tracking website that calculated primal odds around 0.2% so 1/500.

Start keeping track of your legendary drops and reforge. It doesn't mean you'll always get primal on your 500th drop but you'll most likely have 10 primal after 5000 drops.
09/07/2017 04:51 PMPosted by Malecite
To date I have used at least 4000 forgotten souls reforging items
09/07/2017 04:51 PMPosted by Malecite
I know the drop rate was scarce
Well, Are you talking about the drop rate, or the chance of Reforging an item into a Primal? I think they are two separate things.

By the way, how fun was it doing those 400 full 5-Act Bounty runs to get the mats to support those 4000 Souls?
Melted lot of them.
Really? Ring of broken Promises Primal. Could it be more literal.
Primal Blackthorns Boots, Chest, Cus Blackthorn always drops.
Primal Grandfather sword. Melt.
Primal drops on garbage items are still garbage.
New patch should be retroactive on primals. What's the point playing now if it's not. One should jump for joy when it drops but I feel the opposite, disappointing really. It's 'very rare'. It's not like all primal drops is useful. Hope devs come to their senses.
09/07/2017 11:54 PMPosted by StoneOld
By the way, how fun was it doing those 400 full 5-Act Bounty runs to get the mats to support those 4000 Souls?

whats the math here? to support 4000 souls you need 4000/50*5 mats of each act, thats 400. on a T13 run you get 16 mats -> 400/16 = 25 runs to support 4000 souls.

09/08/2017 12:21 AMPosted by Edward
New patch should be retroactive on primals. What's the point playing now if it's not. One should jump for joy when it drops but I feel the opposite, disappointing really. It's 'very rare'. It's not like all primal drops is useful. Hope devs come to their senses.

Since i would also appreciate retroactive changes for primals, playing now can still be rewarding, since not all items will be changed. Especially primal set items are gonna be changed retroactively.

09/07/2017 04:56 PMPosted by Malecite
So is it still 1%?

No definitly not. Some sources calculated a 0.2% chance, some other a 0.25%.
Here an example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/69wenr/10257_legendaries_primal_drop_rate/
I start a Necro on Europe Serve this Season (S11), complete the rest of Seasonal Journey by a DH, and end up at P700+, however, still get a Primal Karlei's Point but next Season it will become outdated.

This is what RNG always supposed to be :-
Uneven distribution
Unpredictable
Uncontrollable

^^
It really comes down to RNG. I the entire last season with only seeing 2 Primals. Both not usable by my character. This season is completely different. I think I have seen at least 10. And a number of them are usable. Eventually it should even out. But RNG is king in this game!
09/08/2017 02:40 AMPosted by WCLee
This is what RNG always supposed to be :-
Uneven distribution
Unpredictable
Uncontrollable

Typically PRNG produces an even distribution, although there are algorithms for chosen uneven distributions as well. Of course, it will not and can not produce an even distribution for any arbitrarily short sequence, only in the long run. The uneveness in this case comes from how the PRNG result is mapped to an item.

Otherwise you got it right, it needs to be unpredictable and uncontrollable.