Can we please get offline play?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
12/03/2018 03:38 PMPosted by BloodxLord
I made a hardcore barbarian once, reached level 60ish and he died due to server lag. What killed me? Some grey mob. That was the end of me playing hardcore.

SoftCore ------------>
12/03/2018 03:42 PMPosted by DogBone
12/03/2018 03:38 PMPosted by BloodxLord
I made a hardcore barbarian once, reached level 60ish and he died due to server lag. What killed me? Some grey mob. That was the end of me playing hardcore.

SoftCore ------------>

I deleted the character. Thought it was taking a slot.
12/03/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Tohki
They won't do it out of pride. The more game data stored client side means the more players can mess with it and mod it. Unlike Bethesda, which intentionally releases half finished games because they rely on the players to finish it with mods, Blizzard absolutely will not allow players to fix their games.

I prefer companies release a finished product than needing to !@#$ around with someone's mods.

I'm not sure what you consider "half-finished," either.

Anyway, no offline play has more to do with hacks/duping/etc than it does some silly idea of pride. Especially since games are moving more toward always-online.
12/03/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Orrion
Anyway, no offline play has more to do with hacks/duping/etc than it does some silly idea of pride.

What could it possibly matter to multiplayer, that takes place on Blizzard's servers, if someone hacks or dupes in an offline, single player instance of the game? Do you even register your thoughts before spitting them out in a post?
Seems like it would be a good time for Blizzard to introduce an offline mode.

Maybe they were worried about piracy and thought that having an always online game would prevent it. At this point piracy isn’t much of an issue anymore, I mean how many more D3 sales do they expect to make at this point?

To be clear, I have no horse in this race, online works fine for me so I don’t care personally but I can see how it would be a nice feature for others.
Not having an offline mode was idiotic for a game such as this. Not that offline mode would bring me back to D3 or anything but it's something that should have been there day 1 just like PvP. Always online for a game like D3 cracks me up...you can have 4 players at a time max. It plays like an arcade action game. You don't need any team mates to play through the story. There is no PvP. Not sure how people played D3 for longer than a month, it has zero depth.

Worried about cheating? D3 wasn't even worth trying to cheat. No PvP and the game was mind numbing until inferno. What would have been the point of cheating other than to exploit the real money auction house? Another brilliant move there with that RL auction house btw. At this point giving an offline mode would just be throwing the remaining D3 players a bone, but at least it would be something. The gaming industry has gone in the wrong direction with the whole "online only" crap. Especially if a game can be completed solo...really if it can be completed single player there should be a single player offline mode.
You bozos do realize that this is a necro that's over a year old, and RainSpider has exactly one level 70 character, which is Seasonal, and he is at paragon 54.

What could this guy have experienced with one character of each class (the others being between level 23 and level 67), that would prompt him to cry about off-line play, and furthermore, to necro a year old thread to post a meaningless rant about his Internet connection?

Five pages of ancient discussion brought back to life for no reason whatever. RainSpider says exactly nothing with his benighted drivel, which he could have more preferably simply made a new post to do.

But, whatever. This Forum has become a festering cesspool of negativity, with virtually no intelligent and genuine conversation about anything having to do with this game.

So go on, keep clicking that next button, and see if you can dredge up a 20 page irrelevant thread of ancient history, and post some hollow, pointless, futile, and insignificant reply.
Damn. I almost clicked like on your post Stone, but you've been a persnickety old cuss for awhile so I had second thoughts.

But you are right about idiots that spend their time dredging up old threads. I'm thinking that Blizz should go ahead and lock all threads that are a year or two old. It's make for a more fluid forum.
12/03/2018 11:02 PMPosted by StoneOld
You bozos do realize that this is a necro that's over a year old, and RainSpider has exactly one level 70 character, which is Seasonal, and he is at paragon 54.

What could this guy have experienced with one character of each class (the others being between level 23 and level 67), that would prompt him to cry about off-line play, and furthermore, to necro a year old thread to post a meaningless rant about his Internet connection?

Five pages of ancient discussion brought back to life for no reason whatever. RainSpider says exactly nothing with his benighted drivel, which he could have more preferably simply made a new post to do.

But, whatever. This Forum has become a festering cesspool of negativity, with virtually no intelligent and genuine conversation about anything having to do with this game.

So go on, keep clicking that next button, and see if you can dredge up a 20 page irrelevant thread of ancient history, and post some hollow, pointless, futile, and insignificant reply.

This seems like a bit of a dramatic overreaction. This is the sort of anger I would expect to see if someone just defecated on your cornflakes, not for a weird but mostly harmless Necro post.
DRM system is only correct one for that type games like Diablo 3. Forget. Even if bots are annoying there is no better system right now. Making this game partly OFF line will create plaques and diseases from pirates cracks (of course this will not affect online version)
DRM is future.
12/03/2018 11:02 PMPosted by StoneOld

Well for one, friend, I'm "crying" about an offline mode because I can't even play without this damn game giving me disconnects. Why the hell shouldn't there be an offline mode? Please enlighten me!!

"This Forum has become a festering cesspool of negativity" says the dude talking mad !@#$. Yeah, crucify me for being a noob!! Absolutely toxic.
12/03/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Tohki
12/03/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Orrion
Anyway, no offline play has more to do with hacks/duping/etc than it does some silly idea of pride.

What could it possibly matter to multiplayer, that takes place on Blizzard's servers, if someone hacks or dupes in an offline, single player instance of the game? Do you even register your thoughts before spitting them out in a post?

I would think you’re the one who isn’t thinking. Pride? I mean, seriously? Yes, it’s pride that kept them from an offline mode - even though they went on to make the game offline for 5 different consoles.

They don’t do it because there’s no benefit to doing it. People who want offline can play consoles. People who don’t like the game can move on to something else instead of changing the game to be what they want.

Further, the gaming trend is moving toward more online play, not less. If you haven’t noticed that then you have blinders on.
The choice to make it all online was to push the community together a bit more than in D2. Diablo 2 had 2 sets of communities (offline and online) and many players who tried it for the first time never really saw the fun that was online play.

Personally I played D2 for years offline before 1.10 came out and I took a chance on the online ladder. I didn't look back and couldn't believe what I missed.

It is unfortunate but if they change it now they risk fracturing what is left of the community. I personally prefer playing offline now (this isn't D2) so I also own the console version.
It is nothing more than idiotic game design that is mirrored in all of their current products. There is no reason they couldn't design a totally different item database for offline that would have nothing to do with online. Good game design is about choice and allowing different ways to have fun. Bad game design, i.e. Blizzard is telling the customer what they want.
09/06/2017 05:21 PMPosted by Alexismad
If you don't want to play games online, why did you buy a game that clearly states on the box "online only".

That does not justify it. The player base has wanted it since BEFORE release and still wants it now. The previous games had it and they decided to remove it for this installment. It was the wrong call. Blizzard needs to fix it. Pretty simple.
Won't ever happen. You wan't to truly know why? Answer is very simple. Blizzard don't wan't to see b.net/d3 platform/server emulator hanging around in the web. Consoles are encrypted, d3 was released on them 4 years ago and still no one created emulator based on console code, cause consoles aren't hacked yet, reverse-engineering the console code is still impossible.
This is truly one actual reason to keep d3 online-only, i just can't see other reasons. to protect d3 from emulation
12/04/2018 09:02 AMPosted by CMyTA
Won't ever happen. You wan't to truly know why? Answer is very simple. Blizzard don't wan't to see b.net/d3 platform/server emulator hanging around in the web. Consoles are encrypted, d3 was released on them 4 years ago and still no one created emulator based on console code, cause consoles aren't hacked yet, reverse-engineering the console code is still impossible.

PS3 was hacked ages ago.
12/04/2018 10:57 AMPosted by apl
12/04/2018 09:02 AMPosted by CMyTA

PS3 was hacked ages ago.
And still no d3 server emulator based on reverse-engineered console code tho. Maybe because PS3 version of D3 stuck on 2.0.6a patch
12/04/2018 11:09 AMPosted by CMyTA
12/04/2018 10:57 AMPosted by apl

PS3 was hacked ages ago.
And still no d3 server emulator based on reverse-engineered console code tho. Maybe because PS3 version of D3 stuck on 2.0.6a patch

Yeah but whatever the reason for that is, it's not "encryption". It's not like you can't decrypt current console generation games too.