Bounty Leeches

General Discussion
Change solo bounties to 6 bounties, 1 in each zone and a final bounty, that rewards a cache containing all the bounty mats.
10/07/2017 10:14 PMPosted by MerLock
10/07/2017 10:12 PMPosted by PonyKiller

No they aren't though thats the thing. We don't own the characters or anything, Blizzard does. All we get is the experience of playing the game and taking part in it. We don't own the items that we acquire. Blizzard does.

They are gaining enjoyment from the experience of pushing leaderboards with the Blizzard bounty mats they acquired by leeching that they used to reroll blizzard items that allowed them to reach higher in the leaderboards?

Does that work for you?

A little, if they are botting to get there too. I wish Blizzard would ban cheaters.
10/07/2017 10:14 PMPosted by MerLock
They are gaining enjoyment from the experience of pushing leaderboards with the Blizzard bounty mats they acquired by leeching
No. They're getting kicked enough that it would be more efficient for them to solo bounties at torment 5.

There's no point in them playing, especially since all I ask is that they try. I don't care if they complete none of them, so long as they're doing something and I know they can kill stuff at that difficulty, because they had to achieve something to get there.

There is no defense for it.

Even if your I.Q. is so low that you only just barely understand how to go places, as long as you go places, I'm fine with it.

Bounties are so painful that if you're just going to park your character in town and take a shower while I hand you some free work, I'm going to get a little angsty about it.
Angsty. Good word to plug in.... much better than mad, %$$#*&, or a handful of other low vocab terms we usually see here.
10/07/2017 09:06 PMPosted by MerLock
10/07/2017 08:14 PMPosted by Solace
It's a game. Solo if you don't like what others are doing. Problem solved.

Spoken like a real leecher.
I solo, quit judging others.
10/07/2017 11:41 PMPosted by Solace

I'm a solo player also.
10/07/2017 11:33 PMPosted by Traveler
Good word to plug in
It seemed to fit. "Angst," to me, feels like teenage hormonal fits that manifest themselves as childish and ultimately pointless mood swings that are passive enough to be forgotten-about a day later... much like getting upset over other players in a game.

I don't pretend to be above being human, or even at least a little petty.
I haven't seen many leeches in HC.
That said I haven't done many T13 split bounties either...
10/07/2017 11:41 PMPosted by Solace

Stop judging me for judging you.
That doesn't really change the problem at all. In fact, it would probably make things much worse, since it then becomes painfully necessary to run public runs, which means leeches will actually be justified in not decreasing the difficulty to run more efficiently, just for those extra materials, which means there will likely be more of them.

As-is, they don't even stand to gain much, since they're getting kicked on a fairly regular basis.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant. Scaling the number of bounties with party size means the less players there are, the less amount of bounties needed to be completed before getting your cache. This is mainly to provide players that don't like to play in full parties with a reasonably tuned reward ratio instead of being blatantly punished just for not playing in groups.

The big problem right now, and something Blizzard keeps ignoring for some reason, is the broken reward ratios. I've used this analogy in the past to illustrate the problem: Say you're building a house. If you build it on your own, it's obviously going to take long. Say you get 3 more people to help you. As it should, the work is going to get done faster. However, in the end you're still getting just a single house, not one for each of your helpers in addition. This is where the bounty reward system in D3 is broken. You're currently able to literally pop out 3 extra houses, making split bounties grossly over-rewarding, while making solo, 2 and 3 party groups feel needlessly gimped.

A couple simple solutions here: Either split the final cache rewards evenly across the group, or scale the amount of work to be done with party size in order to keep things reasonably balanced for everyone. The former is likely to piss off folks who actually like grouping, which is something these designers try to avoid like the plague. The latter has no effect on them whatsoever, while favoring those of us who either don't like grouping, or prefer smaller parties, such as those who play only with their significant others, for instance.

I'm curious to know, however: How exactly would this empower leeches?
If they got kicked enough time, they should be barred from joining any bounty for hour. It's ridiculous that they got vote kick protection. Maybe it's intent to protect the new player. If the new player is that clueless that they got kick 3 times in a row, they should rethink what they're doing instead of keep banging their head on a wall.
if afk more than 10 sec auto kick in pup Bountys :) this will keep players on the edge
vote kicking is the only thing you can do.
At least let him know it won't be easy to hide his laziness
I just want to remind people to use the vote kick option with caution. Way too often people are too aggressively kicking people. Paragon 550 barb? Low damage, kick. Paragon 2800 DH? Probably botting, kick. And people accept another player's vote kick request way too easily as well: No reason for the kick request entered? "Well he must have had his reasons for intiating the kick, so I'll gladly accept and even if he didn't who cares not my fault."

And then there are the troll kicks before the bounties are turned in for shiz and giggles. That's why I always turn in the bounties as they are completed, at least I'll get something out of it, even if I end up with an uneven mat count I'll have the regular crafting mats that I also value.
If it is not leeches it's bots that I find in bounties & all can do is vote to kick them!
10/08/2017 12:28 AMPosted by Lloyd
I haven't seen many leeches in HC.
That said I haven't done many T13 split bounties either...

I suspect HC leachers get nice friendly hugs from the local demons instead of vote-kick.
10/07/2017 05:11 PMPosted by SunStrider

Yeah ya kinda' did do wrong. Whimsydale is not part of the bounty rotation and you knew it. Don't think I would have kicked you, but I definitely would have called you out and reminded you what your first missions was. He was right to tell you to wait.

What are you talking about? Especially now that Whimsydale is a giant pile of gold, DBs, and legendaries, I can't think of a single person I run with that wouldn't happily drop whatever else they're doing to immediately TP to anyone that called out a rainbow goblin or portal.
Dunno, I only run public bounties to get enough mats for cube and then stay away from them like the plague, only way to currently mitigate the cesspool is to have some friends, or just join a public random run, and then ask people that are actually playing if they want to join a group, if lucky in a couple of runs you might have full group and then just replace people that needs to go and profit.

I dont see any easy fix tough, devs cant patch lazy, maybe if you get auto kicked after some time of inactivity while in a bounty public group? or if you dont complete at least X% of bounties you dont get mats, it might be a little extreme but hey if you join a public group you should be pulling your weight.
Make it so that if a player is kicked x times in y hrs, he's banned from game a few hrs/days
10/08/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
A couple simple solutions here: Either split the final cache rewards evenly across the group, or scale the amount of work to be done with party size in order to keep things reasonably balanced for everyone. The former is likely to piss off folks who actually like grouping, which is something these designers try to avoid like the plague. The latter has no effect on them whatsoever, while favoring those of us who either don't like grouping, or prefer smaller parties, such as those who play only with their significant others, for instance.

I'm wondering if adding some mini-caches with the act's mats that are rewarded for completing individual bounties could close the gap between solo and split farming. Everyone still gets the main cache, but you also get mats for each bounty you complete. (This also has the advantage of closing the gap between groups that actually want to complete bounties as a group vs. split farming groups.)

It also means that if someone in a split farm group is faster and carrying others, they'll get more mats since they'll complete more of the bounties in a split farm. I'm not sure if there's any net effect on leechers. They could follow someone around to get the extra mats, but that just makes their leeching more noticeable increasing kick likelyhood, so I'm not sure how it would shake out.

I suppose one downside would be for people who split farm and can't stand not having their mat amounts all be even.