HT v Zuni for pet build?

Witch Doctor
Hi guys,
Haven't played my WD in ages but looking to roll a good pet build. I see that there are both HT and Zuni Gargantuan builds that are viable. Wondering which one people are preferring and has higher GR potential.
Thanks.
That one with higher 6p damage multipiler.
11/03/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Radman
Wondering which one people are preferring

Helltooth has better mechanics. You just need to cast Wall of Death every 15 seconds and make sure your pets are hitting things at least 1 every 10 seconds.
Helltooth is playing over 10 grift levels higher for me this patch than last. I tried Zuni and couldn't stay alive anywhere close to levels I am doing without trouble with HT. Maybe I just need more practice with the Zuni tactics, but it was discouraging.
The Helltooth set is about as enjoyable to play as paint is to watch dry.
I just completed 70 solo with a zuni build and was using plague of locusts with pestilence to spread the mana splendor for my army of fetish weenies. I had to drop the gargantuan though for spirit walk. I was just too hard to get close enough to dudes to survive and plague them without spirit walk. It also sucks that 3 of the awesome armors you want to use are all helms. Carnevil, Grin Reaper, and Mask of Joran. The damage reduction for the zuni builds seems a bit lacking. I was having some issues surviving. Im not a pro though so Im sure there are better ways to zuni it up but it just seemed to me something is lacking in the set for surviving.
I've had much better luck with HT. This surprises me.

The goal of both Zuni and HT is to use the gargs to do all the damage. You want to create big packs and use the Garg Area Damage do its work.

There are 2 problems.

First, it is harder to create high density using Zuni because the fetishes will frequently "occupy" mobs. This will prevent those mob from walking towards your 3 gargs (which presumably you just summoned).

Secondly, you will "waste" garg hits when mobs aren't debuffed via a spender.

These 2 problems can be minimized/eliminated with good play. But it takes practice, and consistent effort to manage properly fetishes and consistently cast spenders.
I would say that Zuni is a bit stronger. Zuni can do a little more damage and it takes down the RG faster.

I still prefer Helltooth because there is a long list of reasons why Zuni sucks.

They are so close in overall power it isn't going to make a difference in how high you can push imo.
try my build zuni pets with carnevil fragil but a lot of fun and hard hitting (problebe great in group)
ps zuni hits a lot harder
HT is far superior to zuni.
11/17/2017 02:48 PMPosted by Cajiin
HT is far superior to zuni.
For people withouth hands sure but in the end Zuni does MORE dmg than HT as well as better toughness.
I tried both and I prefer HT even with several pieces of Zuni being ancient. I really don't think Zuni out dps HT at the moment. Can one shot mobs with Gary's in ht and cannot with higher dps and better gear with Zuni. Using deadsets guide and exact gear and exact everything else. Gargs hit for like 150billion in gr8 78 with Zuni and a little over 235billion with ht. I am not figuring in fetishes or dogs. I was able to complete gr78 with both sets 750 paragon with about 4 minutes left. Probably could do 80+. Ht is nice cuz u don't have to really do anything
I haven't played Zuni but I am already mad when my gargs are behind 4 dogs. I don't want to imagine with 7+(?) fetishes ^^

HT has a very good toughness. 13mio toughness without Soul Harvest^^ GR94 done. I tried Gr96 3 times but wasn't fast enough everytime (15:30 - 17min). I never died, it's clearly a damage problem to finish higher GR Solo rifts. I play with only 2 augmented items.
11/09/2017 12:51 PMPosted by Rawrig
Helltooth is playing over 10 grift levels higher for me this patch than last. I tried Zuni and couldn't stay alive anywhere close to levels I am doing without trouble with HT. Maybe I just need more practice with the Zuni tactics, but it was discouraging.

Zunimassa has 9% more DR than flat up HellTooth does. I suggest you try my build to help promote your Zunimassa game play: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/96874-zunimassa-horrifying-gargs-2-6-1

This build utilizes the CC of Horrify in order to promote keeping you next to your gargs. It also gives a sick amount of armor to your character.
11/03/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Radman
Hi guys,
Haven't played my WD in ages but looking to roll a good pet build. I see that there are both HT and Zuni Gargantuan builds that are viable. Wondering which one people are preferring and has higher GR potential.
Thanks.

If you want to focus on pure pet damage and play the passive game with focus on your positioning and dodging skills; Zunimassa.

If you want to be more proactive and maybe overall tank like to survive; HellTooth. Both sets are using Fire Bats; just HT is using the higher DPS Fire Bat while Zuni is using the Channel Free Cost Fire Bats. Overall, Zuni pet damage is higher, but HT can do more damage overall from difference sources besides just pets; Wall of Death, Firebats do more overall damage, etc. The 6 pc buffs helped both of these sets, so it is play style.
12/11/2017 02:03 PMPosted by Proxyminers
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/96874-zunimassa-horrifying-gargs-2-6-1

Is there any reason you don't use Convention of Elements or Unity for this build?
Please Explain

Zunimassa has 9% more DR than flat up HellTooth does. I suggest you try my build to help promote your Zunimassa game play: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/96874-zunimassa-horrifying-gargs-2-6-1

zuni wit 23 fetish is 69% dr + SACRED and bracers 60% this is 129%
helltooth is 60%+ sacred and bracers 60% this is 120% a plus zombie dogs life link
10% and i use Uhkapian Serpent for more damage recution 27%-30%
Zuni you are stuck with set mojo.
I know you said flat but you dont use dogs with zuni correct? So HT would be better DR overall.
It is my impression that most people when commenting in such threads talk mostly about the meta builds they all copy-pasted from icy-veins or diablofans.

None of the "meta" builds are strictly pet builds, so they don't answer the question.

If you want a purely pet build, Zunimassa is the way to go, CLEARLY, as the 6p bonus covers ALL pets, not just dogs or gargantuans. Not to mention it buffs all pet damage by 5500% instead of just 4400% for Helltooth.

I am playing a build with Zunimassa using all 3 pets, dogs, Gargantuans, AND fetishes(and Sycophants). I am getting 5+3 fetishes, 15 sycophants, 6 dogs, and 3 gargantuans. That is 32 pets.

Now, THIS, is a pet build. And it gets buffed much more with Zunimassa than with Helltooth.
Im sure that you have plenty of pets just standing around as well