Do We Still Need A Blood Shard Cap?

General Discussion
Highly Rated
The blood shard cap was originally put in place, so that people would not hoard shards for an upcoming patch and have an advantage over someone who just started playing. This point is now pretty much moot with people saving hundreds of thousands of mats for the cube for re-rolling.

Annoyances caused by having the current cap:
stopping every 3 grs to spend
spending when there is nothing you want to spend them on
making everyone in a group wait because you need to change to an alt
making everyone in a group wait because your cap is lower
losing out in a vault because you forgot to spend your shards before entering and
you ran into 2 blood goblins.

The solutions I propose would be to eliminate the shard cap altogether or at the very least increase it to say 1000 base plus 50 for each solo gr level clear.
Sure! The cap is there to provide an additional reward when you achieve a higher GR tier than your previous.
10/18/2017 04:44 PMPosted by Alexismad
losing out in a vault because you forgot to spend your shards before entering and
you ran into 2 blood goblins.
That's a non-issue, because you can stand at Greed's door forever, which means you have plenty of time to port to town, spend, and port back to pick up. Vaults are not timed until you open Greed's Strongbox.
The solutions I propose would be to
increase it to say 1000 base plus 50 for each solo gr level clear.
That would be a welcome change.
I looked at your account.

You are nowhere near having nothing to spend them on, on any character. Pick an item and keep spending on that one item until it's ancient. Repeat for every non ancient item on that character. When all your gear is ancient, then you start looking for primals.

Need to hold more shards? Do higher Grifts. Oh, you can't do higher Grifts? It's because you're not spending your shards wisely. Stop gearing all your alts with non ancient crap and actually gear one or two characters first.

The rest doesn't apply. It takes two seconds to burn an inventory worth of shards. Another two seconds to auto salvage all the yellows. Now you're ready to do that vault

Or have an entire account of low geared characters and keep doing Grift 60. It's your time.
Been saying this for some time now. The cap is a massive annoyance that should be removed.
10/18/2017 04:48 PMPosted by StonePro
Sure! The cap is there to provide an additional reward when you achieve a higher GR tier than your previous.

I can live with this if they boost the range.

That's a non-issue, because you can stand at Greed's door forever, which means you have plenty of time to port to town, spend, and port back to pick up. Vaults are not timed until you open Greed's Strongbox.

It is an issue if you play with a group and they have to wait for you to spend shards.

10/18/2017 04:54 PMPosted by okiegrown
I looked at your account.

You are nowhere near having nothing to spend them on, on any character. Pick an item and keep spending on that one item until it's ancient. Repeat for every non ancient item on that character. When all your gear is ancient, then you start looking for primals.

Need to hold more shards? Do higher Grifts. Oh, you can't do higher Grifts? It's because you're not spending your shards wisely. Stop gearing all your alts with non ancient crap and actually gear one or two characters first.

I usually main a dh, wd, or monk. the other chars on ns are junk chars. I have all ancients for my ns dh/wd with a solo gr90 clear. Hate fishing so no need to push to get that extra 10 blood shards on the cap. Stopped gearing my season chars when I found 2.6 will make all current gear irrelevant. Just grinding mats now.
Why gamble (spend shards) now, when by next week, most of our gears will be obsolete.

Saving those shards till next patch would be the most logical move.
The sole purpose of the blood shard cap is prevent players from hoarding them until every multiplier gets buffed again, then spending them on patch day to replace their now outdated gear; because grinding rifts for the same items over and over again is just too much fun.
Keep a limit. Just double the amount you get per level in gr.
10/18/2017 08:43 PMPosted by Astig
Why gamble (spend shards) now, when by next week, most of our gears will be obsolete.

Saving those shards till next patch would be the most logical move.

Because you can cap them again in a couple Grift runs? It's not like they are hard to get.
Upping what we gain per GR clear could be an option. Could also give like +10 for each achievement the account has done. Kadala could also offer accountwide quests that might ask for like 10k of w/b/y craft mats to double your total. Lots of ways to go about it, really, but I'd agree the current caps can feel too small.
10/19/2017 12:49 AMPosted by Sway
Keep a limit. Just double the amount you get per level in gr.

So just give us more, then. Wouldn't we just ask for even more if we get that, though? It's the Blizzard philosophy.
Remove the cap, it's pointless. As mentioned it slows down group play it also slows down solo gem runs. Considerably. I've got a 1520 or 1540 cap and it gets eaten up insanely fast. +1 OP.
10/19/2017 03:31 AMPosted by jay
Remove the cap, it's pointless. As mentioned it slows down group play it also slows down solo gem runs. Considerably. I've got a 1520 or 1540 cap and it gets eaten up insanely fast. +1 OP.

No, it's not pointless. It's to gate item acquisition every time a patch adds or alters items.
Fresh seasonal characters aren't going to have shards to exploit in such a manner.

Meanwhile, if you actually have good gear already, the odds of getting a specific item that's an improvement from gambling isn't exactly something that's going to happen easily. You're far more likely to see non-seasonals get new versions of the item via the cube where gambling may have been used just to get the base for rerolling purposes.
if the argument I keep hearing is that "who cares, it's non-season" as it relates to other arguments like making Primal Ancients retroactive, then why care about this proposition? It makes no sense if no one cares about non-season to then argue against such a thing.
10/18/2017 04:48 PMPosted by StonePro
The cap is there to provide an additional reward when you achieve a higher GR

Some reward.
10/19/2017 04:29 AMPosted by Tohki
No, it's not pointless. It's to gate item acquisition every time a patch adds or alters items.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic my dude. I mean every time there is a new upgrade on an affix I just hammer out cube rolls using upgrade rare/re rolls with bounty till I have something passable. In the event you aren't being sarcastic that's the answer, it isn't a gate when you can get around it in under an hour.
I would like to see the cap removed so that I can run more than 4 rifts without swapping to a different character to spend my shards.

Stopping every 15-20 minutes to exit the game, swap chars, start a new game, spend shards, exit game, swap chars, and finally start a new game is annoying.
10/19/2017 07:55 AMPosted by jay
10/19/2017 04:29 AMPosted by Tohki

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic my dude. I mean every time there is a new upgrade on an affix I just hammer out cube rolls using upgrade rare/re rolls with bounty till I have something passable. In the event you aren't being sarcastic that's the answer, it isn't a gate when you can get around it in under an hour.

It was indeed to prevent people from hoarding Blood Shards and spend it all after a patch. They predates the Cube, though and the cap was never revisited after it's initial inclusion hence this thread.