Bounty chests in single player (kill 100, 5 waves)

General Discussion
Hello (Blizz),

these cursed chests are usually not possible to complete in a single player setting.

The 100 kills are usually not spawning fast enough. Most usually the issue is that some bigger creature spawns at the beginning, and even after that the creatures are spread way too much. The only specs where I have a reasonable chance of finishing these bounties is Tal Rasha & Apoc-Firebird (probably Multishot Valla too). Alternatively a difficulty level where I can two-shot bosses (not fun).

The waves of 5 are similar.

The #1 issue is that the creatures spawn too far apart, denying important kills at the beginning, and by the time it ramps up, it just doesn't work.

Thus the most time efficient approach to these bounties is trigger, run away and do stuff, come back and loot.

In a two player team already the area of responsibility is cut in half, so it works a lot better.

Would you mind some single-player tuning?
There's plenty of skills on every class that are capable of killing multiple enemies and doing these quests no problem.

The game doesn't need to be nerfed just for you. You just need to get better.
Yes. Play at a lower torment level or improve you gear, gem levels, build etc.
DH MS.
10/29/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Aphandra
The 100 kills are usually not spawning fast enough.

They spawn when you kill them, not at a set rate. If you aren't getting 100 kills, it's because you aren't killing them fast enough.

100 hundred kills requires killing at least half of the currently spawned mobs instantly and continuously. To get the 300+ kills, you generally need to be killing 100% of the currently spawned mobs instantly and continuously with no down time.

Switch to a full screen AoE attack at a lower difficulty level. You won't have any problems with getting 100+ kills.
It's supposed to be a bit of a challenge. It's not like you miss out on anything significant if you fail to clear them in time.
If you want to be challenged, then why are you asking for these bounty chests to be changed? Aren't they currently challenging to you?
Every class in game can deal with the 100 challenge. Not like you NEED to do it or lose the bounty either.
But as written before, every class is capable of this. Either you play on a too hard difficulty, or you just not playing aoe.
[quote]
If you want to be challenged, then why are you asking for these bounty chests to be changed? Aren't they currently challenging to you?

Nothing else does.
So I should clear the game at T11 (or slightly more) but clear the chests at T6, then switch back to T11+ for the next creatures?

What full screen attacks does the monk have?
I'm trying to use Cyclone Strike as much as possible.

Typically when this happens - the first two creatures are something like the stone creature from Act 5, the Mallet Lords from Act 4. Having finished them, usually another double creature spawns, this time very weak ones, but far away.

I generally don't enjoy a difficulty where I can kill whites faster than 2-3 seconds on average. Stampeding ants is not fun for me. Considering the (original) leveling process as well as other similar games in the genre, this difficulty is prototypical. I know that it has become a standard to speedfarm the game (complete 5 acts in 1 hour = 12 minutes per act = 3-4 minutes per boss including running to them; 300 creatures in 45 seconds with a ramp up = one-shot everything), but that's not the kind of challenge I would be looking for.
I am currently running with Inna-6 + Sunwuko-4 (stacking to 10) + Endless Walk.

Well, whatever. This is my opinion, downvote me - I will still think about D3 as a petty game until it promotes stampeding ants. I think my view is clear enough and I don't intend to troll.
10/29/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Aphandra

Then you could be running a Wave of light build, the fire rune has screen clearing range, which should be enough to to clear the bounty.

Another thing you should remember is that certain bounties are harder than others due to the spawntime, and also the mobs spawning. This makes certain builds work, and certain not work. For instance, as a crusader to finish most of those, i'd run hammerdin.

10/29/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Aphandra
Well, whatever. This is my opinion, downvote me - I will still think about D3 as a petty game until it promotes stampeding ants. I think my view is clear enough and I don't intend to troll.

You made your point clear, but it seems more that you expect everything to work for everything. Try around a bit more, I think you'll find what skills are better to synergize for what.
Kill faster?
by Rashiel
Then you could be running a Wave of light build, the fire rune

Thanks, I will look into that.
Railing on kill speed aside, there are some locations where the enemies (re)spawning does seem too slow, or in some cases, hampered by the enemy spawn animation like the Cursed Cellar (or whatever it's called) that spawns in one of the basements near New Tristram. Then you get areas like the Cursed Peat in A5 that are more or less a must when the cursed chest conquest rolls around due to the mix of spawn speed and density.

Yes, cursed events may double as a DPS check for a given difficulty, but they're far from perfect.
Yes, I hate the slow at the beginning of opening a chest, kill 100 or 5 wave kill and half way spawn only a few monsters. That if spawned at a better rate from the star would have been easily completed.

It is so very frustrating with ghosts and mobs running away, etc.. Whatever Blizzard thinks it is fun but is not.

The events don't need to be nerfed just updated.

Nothing else does.
So I should clear the game at T11 (or slightly more) but clear the chests at T6, then switch back to T11+ for the next creatures?

What full screen attacks does the monk have?
I'm trying to use Cyclone Strike as much as possible.

Typically when this happens - the first two creatures are something like the stone creature from Act 5, the Mallet Lords from Act 4. Having finished them, usually another double creature spawns, this time very weak ones, but far away.

I generally don't enjoy a difficulty where I can kill whites faster than 2-3 seconds on average. Stampeding ants is not fun for me. Considering the (original) leveling process as well as other similar games in the genre, this difficulty is prototypical. I know that it has become a standard to speedfarm the game (complete 5 acts in 1 hour = 12 minutes per act = 3-4 minutes per boss including running to them; 300 creatures in 45 seconds with a ramp up = one-shot everything), but that's not the kind of challenge I would be looking for.

Maybe your build just isn't suited for it?

I mean, you could be running full Sunwuko build and blow apart everything with either Wave of Light or Lashing Tail Kick.

Cyclone Strike isn't going to get you very far in the long run. Its utility means it's never going to be an excellent damage dealer. Mostly you see it on zdps Monks for crowd controlling purposes.
I think the bigger issue is how poor the rewards are. We should be encouraged to hunt them
I never liked the change to the 5 wave mechanic with chests, it's too much like how impractical and annoying the curse shrines are.

It use to be that the timer was only on a per wave basis, now it's the entire event, which throws most builds out of the door now, like mentioned in this thread. That's not a positive change, that's a negative one. The original chest events would just count the total amount of enemies killed, which is a lot easier than making sure you clear the waves in the alloted time now.

The waves are still on a timer, regardless of how fast you clear them, since you have to wait for the timer to spawn monsters, the monsters to go through their summoning animations ..and then be eligible to be killed. All of these things add needless and uncontrollable seconds to waiting ..which eats up the timer. It's entirely like what people complained about when doing the seasonal journal for rift timers and boss kills. Transitions in boss fights eats up the timer, and having to forgo loot / portal to town immediately ( and hope you don't get hit ) when the rift guardian dies so you can manually close the rift to stop the clock, is not enjoyable or fair to the player.

Did anyone ask for the chest events to change to this new system? No.
Did Blizzard even communicate this change? No.

It just showed up one patch and that was that.

Just like when they tripled the channel time on activating things for bounties / etc. Did they really need to change it to a 5 sec timer? No. Did they communicate that change to anyone? No. They just did it ...and we've been suffering with it since.

Sure, it's all fine for builds that clear the entire screen every attack, but all the other builds become completely useless for these events, unless you are running content vastly lower than what you could / should be doing. It makes zero sense to downgrade your torment level to adequately complete a chest event, or to change to an entirely different build just to do it. It's one thing to make every single build viable, it's another to make no other build but X able to do it.
10/29/2017 07:56 AMPosted by Mercury
100 hundred kills requires killing at least half of the currently spawned mobs instantly and continuously.

This is the problem, IMHO. If you're playing on a difficulty where you're instantly killing things, you're playing on a difficulty that's too easy for your gear.