Sudden Uprise of Error 1016 and In-game Lag

Technical Support
Hey everyone,

I bought Diablo 3 earlier this month and played it until this Wednesday without any problem(s); however, after about a day-or-two of patch 2.6.1, I started receiving horrendous lag in-game and am currently being consistently disconnected with either no error code or "Error 1016". I checked my latency, tested other games (Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, Guild Wars 2, Overwatch, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, etc.), and followed the DNS-flush instructions--including other, general disconnect remedies posted in the forums--to no avail. So at this point, I'm just trying to get a head-count of everyone experiencing a similar issue.
Additional Info.: I have already contacted my ISP about this, refreshed the modem with a hard reset, etc., but nothing seems to fix the issue. And, in case anyone's wondering, all other listed games are working perfectly fine. So please post a reply to this if you're experiencing the same thing; I just want to know if I'm the only one that this is happening to.

P.S. My computer's specs are outdated, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a graphics engine issue. Nevertheless, I've seen other people posting about this in the forums, so I'm making this topic to get a semi-accurate/accurate head-count. (Also spoke to some people in general chat about this in the game and a few have said that they are experiencing the same.)

Thank you for your time,
Lúcio
Been hitting this also. Happens 1 out of every 3 teleports/area entrances and boots me back to character selection. Only been happening since patch. Tried contacting support but all avenues of submitting a ticket are also failing.
Same here. 1016 very often. No issues with other online games.
Mike
From what I've dug up--via Reddit and these forums--this seems to happen with almost every patch. The earliest I could find was patch 2.4, but that was allegedly an issue due to the "Error 1016" being designated as a general disconnect indicator. For me, it happens randomly: sometimes, I will be disconnected trying to start a game with a character; however, it mostly happens when I try to load into an area like Kastil. I've currently wasted about 3 keys for Regret and a few more GR keys because I thought it settled and wouldn't happen again. I've even lost out on 3 Rainbow Goblin portals--attempted to enter and disconnected. My ping seems to be shifting between 90-100, so I have no clue why this is happening. I've been keeping an eye on my latency bar during every disconnect and it's never went under green.
same here
I've been having the same problems to!!!
10/28/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Lúcio
P.S. My computer's specs are outdated,

Running WIndows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or 10? If Windows 10, which version / build? Microsoft released October 17, 2017 the Fall Creators Update. Some settings may have been reset when updated.

Connecting from overseas? Using wireless not wired? Playing when others are streaming online videos or downloading torrents? Test by changing your internet pathing -- switch to using public DNS server and/or disabling IPv6. Web search for "Diablo 3 and 1016."

Post your computer, windows, internet specs. Post DxDiag in code box.
Obtaining System Files ... https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/12988
Diablo III Performance Issues ... https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/13930

-- improve performance by setting windows to "adjust for best performance" (right click File Explorer / This PC or My Computer / Advanced system settings)
-- install drivers posted on manufacturer or motherboard web support page (compare stability vs latest device driver available)
-- optimize windows for gaming & power users (online blogs and youtube)
-- disable settings/services and uninstall apps you don't need

Diablo III Locking and Crashing
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34772
Disconnection and Latency Issues in Blizzard Games
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/5338?utm_source=internal-TechForum&utm_medium=posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=solution
Contact Support
https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/diablo3/273/277/channels
I'm running Windows 7, from the United States, and I am running without anyone else using my internet connection. I've done everything listed on all links besides the "post your DxDiag" and the packet-loss check. Those I'm shying away from because I don't want to post the information on a public forum. Besides, there are plenty of posts throughout the forums where they contacted support individually and was met with an amalgam of instructions that led nowhere. As mentioned in the first post, this was a post to check if I'm the only one suffering from these issues. Thanks for the attempt though.
I forgot to say that the lag/disconnects I've been experiencing happens mostly in the middle of the day if I play at night I have very little lag/disconnects
Go figure, trolls resent others trying to assist. 1016 can be due to different issues. I can change windows settings/services, internet routing, or drivers then get 1016 error.
10/29/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Lúcio
I'm shying away from

Nothing wrong with not posting DxDiag. Without anything to evaluate, all you get is generalized recommendations and suggestions. Consider what I previously typed. I have observed players still using 5 year old drivers. Sometimes you may need to reinstall latest, current, or previous because of stability issues.
Same issues.
10/29/2017 04:24 PMPosted by SilverFox
Go figure, trolls resent others trying to assist.

I'm sorry about this. I accidentally clicked the dislike button when I meant to click the like button. Some of the things you listed were very helpful for other games, such as the suggestion for optimizing for best performance; however, the problem persists only on this game, so I'm just feeling as if it has more to do with the servers than my PC alone. Of course, I could be totally wrong. Nevertheless, as mentioned in the first post, this was a head-count to see how many people were experiencing the same thing.

10/29/2017 04:24 PMPosted by SilverFox
Nothing wrong with not posting DxDiag. Without anything to evaluate, all you get is generalized recommendations and suggestions. Consider what I previously typed. I have observed players still using 5 year old drivers. Sometimes you may need to reinstall latest, current, or previous because of stability issues.

I've done reinstalls, downloaded updates, cleaned my drives, and run different antimalware/antivirus programs to check if the problem was my fault. I promise you that I've done everything I could on my end besides buying a new PC, which I currently can't do because I'm a broke college student. I would also like to address that you're right: Only generalized recommendations and suggestions can be given if the proper information is not provided. However, the aforementioned situations of people receiving aid--without remedy--were people who posted all their information for blue-post Blizzard supporters and submitted personal, Blizzard tickets. Despite this being a head-count, the most confusing thing to me is that all other games that I've listed--including Blizzard games--are working perfectly fine, yet Diablo III is giving me trouble. I've played games after games of Overwatch to see if the problem would appear and it didn't. I didn't play Heroes of the Storm as extensively, but the outcome was the same.

In the end though, I would like to thank you for your suggestions because it definitely boosted my performance in other games...it just hasn't remedied the "Error 1016" and latency hops. The recent mini-patch (I believe it was yesterday?) seemed to have fixed it, but after a few games, the problems came back. So, at this point, I have no clue what is going on.
OP have you tried packet loss remedies? There are a few good YouTube vids. They nearly halved my ping though I am still getting dc and 1016s.
10/30/2017 11:07 PMPosted by rahl
OP have you tried packet loss remedies? There are a few good YouTube vids. They nearly halved my ping though I am still getting dc and 1016s.

Yes, I did. I've looked through virtually almost every YouTube video, followed the whole IPv6 instructions, network resets, etc. I've flushed my DNS, I've reset my IP, and it was all wasted efforts. I have to admit though, Overwatch was playing smooth af after all that.
10/31/2017 09:08 AMPosted by Lúcio

Yes, I did. I've looked through virtually almost every YouTube video, followed the whole IPv6 instructions, network resets, etc. I've flushed my DNS, I've reset my IP, and it was all wasted efforts. I have to admit though, Overwatch was playing smooth af after all that.

Heh I think interrupt moderation disabling helped most. My game now waits as much as it can before dc-ing. Rate of dc has gone down but sadly it still happens.
Over the past few days this has been happening to me very often as well.