how to slow the bot's way down

General Discussion
make is so all 1 player can play is 12 hr a day that would slow the bot's down a lot right there and just about no one plays more then 12 hr a day anyway's

I feel that would help big time right there or at last slow them botters down

And if you just got to play more then 12hr buy 2 diablo accts if you just love this game like that

so if they did this it would stop acct shareing and really slow the bot's down this way if all you got to play was 8 hr and the bot played the full 12 then the bot would get 4 hr on you but that's better then 16 hr like it is now.
There has to be a better way.

Limiting time is not the answer, as that punishes legit players who play a lot.

I don't come close to 12 hours a day, but start of season I do.

I wish I knew the answer, but it appears that Blizzard doesn't either, or aren't interested enough.

Either way, real players will always be behind, and this makes me bummed out.
Don't agree with this idea.
Apparently account sharing with minor is OK, so there's 1 group at least that will suffer from implementation of something like that.
A bit crude, but a good idea and easy to implement.
That's like asking automobile manufacturers to put a 5 mile per day limit that will shut down the car in order to decrease air pollution.

The auto manufacturer to implement that would not win any popularity contests.
So, your idea to limit botters is to punish legitimate players that play a lot?
No thanks.
No thanks.
OK, I'll go for it. You limit my gaming time to 50% per day, make a game cheaper for 50% :D

You simply can't limit someone's playtime. That's retarded in it's core.
I've said it before (in response to loot box idea) allow players to buy exp multipliers.

Sell them for cheap. Cap exp gain to what could be earned in a 24 hour period. This would effectively end the gain botters get from AFK exp farming.

example: Player A buys a 2x multiplier and caps out after 12 hours. Player B buys a 3x multiplier and caps out after 8 hours. They can play for longer but they cannot earn exp past that deadline. It would be more effective to measure "hours played" per day and double and triple the time played while the bonus was in effect than try to guestimate the expected exp per day.
At least one advantage could be brought down by capping the game. Paragon levels and GR.

Paragon 100 would be maximum.
- Easy to reach 80
- Requires effort to reach 90
- Hard to reach 95
- Close to impossible to reach 100 during the season

New point system for paragons.. more intersting type of.
Difference between player with 90 paragon levels and 100 would not be very huge. Imagine Diablo 2. You could easily do anything as level 80 and as level 99. 99 Was just prestige and finalized your character.
How about we have a captcha pop up after every 5th hour of play?

I don't know why people took this comment seriously, it's obviously a joke. The point is that beyond Blizzard getting more personnel involved in purging bots, there's not much a solution to botting that wouldn't heavily impede on the rest of the player base.
10/17/2017 06:57 AMPosted by Tohki
How about we have a captcha pop up after every 5th hour of play?
groan!
No limiting time is not the answer, even I can play all Friday and Saturday for like 15+ hours and then crush to bed.

The simplest way for a lazy Blizzard is paragon cap
Implementing measures that crack down on bots while also cracking down on legit but dedicated players is a bad idea.

I would much rather that Blizzard explore ways to make the game more fun and rewarding for legit players without being rewarding for bot users.
10/17/2017 12:56 AMPosted by Evil
make is so all 1 player can play is 12 hr a day that would slow the bot's down a lot right there and just about no one plays more then 12 hr a day anyway's

I feel that would help big time right there or at last slow them botters down

And if you just got to play more then 12hr buy 2 diablo accts if you just love this game like that

so if they did this it would stop acct shareing and really slow the bot's down this way if all you got to play was 8 hr and the bot played the full 12 then the bot would get 4 hr on you but that's better then 16 hr like it is now.

So, the concept of someone using a Bot bothers you because <insert reason>. You somehow feel that honest players being forced to stop legitimately sharing their accounts within the guidelines of the EULA as well as limiting the amount of time a player is permitted to play is a great solution.

Then of course there is the ridiculous suggestion that those wishing to play more should purchase an additional account. Aside from the extra costs, it would also involve leveling, gearing and raising gems for augments. Sorry guys, know you wanted to do high level GR's tonight, but I need to level and gear <insert class> before I can join you all. Had some free time, played to much and now Blizzard say's I can't go outside to play for the next 12 hours on my main.

You remind me of the comment in Shrek where Lord Farquaad tells his soldiers <sic> "Some of you won't survive, it's a chance I'm willing to take". You get to win your battle against Bots (probably not though), the rest of the honest players can pay the price.
10/17/2017 07:14 AMPosted by icedagger
Implementing measures that crack down on bots while also cracking down on legit but dedicated players is a bad idea.

There are no dedicated players that do 3000 paragons in season there are only
- Bots
- players that play with boters
WTH i play alot more than 12 hours especially on weekend...
weekdays.. I play about 6 of my 8 hours of work ( since I play at work)
then I go home and play from like 530p to when I go to bed. sometimes till 1 am adding that up is more than 12 hours..
weekends well how many hours in a day?

So no that won't work since alot of legit people play alot more than 12 hours a day.
How about a restricted leaderboard for people that play less then 12 hours a day and then everyone above 12 hours can be lumped in with bots account sharing. :)

You could even do a leaderboard based on hours played as a handicap; like bowling.

Not that it matters to me I play with a few friends and never strive for the leaderboard. Occasionally it happens quite by accident.
It's amusing that people will ask for something to be done about bots, but once a reasonable idea is proposed they say no that's a terrible idea. How dare you reduce me to 12-hours a day to play D3! That is only 84 hours a week double the average work week, HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST IT!

Here's the thing. If any of you are coming close to playing D3 12-hours a day you NEED HELP. The fact you all lose it when someone even suggest a 12-hour time limit is another indication YOU NEED HELP.

No one should be playing this game 13 hours a day, 14 hours a day, 15 hours a day and so on. It's recommended that people sleep 7-9 hours a day if you're not attempting to do this you're UNHEALTHY. You should have other healthy hobbies such as exercise. Most of you should have some sort of other responsibilities. Ignoring healthy habits and responsibilities for something is CALLED AN ADDICTION.

I'm all for this idea! Matter of fact it's the best solution to stop botting. Botters you see they also play the game. Most of them probably log in for 4-6 hours a day. You implant this restriction and now they can only bot 6-8 hours a day instead of 18-22 hours a day.

At the end of the day I don't care about you addicts or the botters because I already uninstalled, however, I'm tired of people not being honest with themselves about their problems and showing a lack of intelligence. It's a lot of work trying to educate the ignorant. It's a losing battle because there are a lot more puppets and sheeps out there than strategist and problem solvers. I applaud the OP for providing solution!
Oh look, another thread created by someone that thinks punishing everyone is a good solution to "stopping" botters.

Except this solution wouldn't stop botters at all. The second a person plays less than 12 hours a day in a season they just fell behind forever. Next thing you know you have people on here arguing for only 8 hours of playtime a day. Then 6, then 4, then 2.

It never ends.

D3's infinite scaling is the true problem, but by all means, try to punish every legit player out there and keep your head buried in the sand.