how to slow the bot's way down

General Discussion
10/17/2017 02:40 AMPosted by eleridian
You simply can't limit someone's playtime.
I have to agree with this. On weekends I sometimes play 5-6 hours then take a lunch or dinner break watch some Netflix for an a hour or two and then log back on to play another 10 hours or more.
10/17/2017 08:33 AMPosted by Blitzcano
t's amusing that people will ask for something to be done about bots, but once a reasonable idea is proposed they say no that's a terrible idea. How dare you reduce me to 12-hours a day to play D3! That is only 84 hours a week double the average work week, HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST IT!

I rather have bots since they don't affect my experience in the game in any way.

Why should Blizz limit our time in the game? It is already limited by always online.. now time limitations also?
10/17/2017 08:33 AMPosted by Blitzcano
It's amusing that people will ask for something to be done about bots, but once a reasonable idea is proposed they say no that's a terrible idea. How dare you reduce me to 12-hours a day to play D3! That is only 84 hours a week double the average work week, HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST IT!

Here's the thing. If any of you are coming close to playing D3 12-hours a day you NEED HELP. The fact you all lose it when someone even suggest a 12-hour time limit is another indication YOU NEED HELP.

No one should be playing this game 13 hours a day, 14 hours a day, 15 hours a day and so on. It's recommended that people sleep 7-9 hours a day if you're not attempting to do this you're UNHEALTHY. You should have other healthy hobbies such as exercise. Most of you should have some sort of other responsibilities. Ignoring healthy habits and responsibilities for something is CALLED AN ADDICTION.

I'm all for this idea! Matter of fact it's the best solution to stop botting. Botters you see they also play the game. Most of them probably log in for 4-6 hours a day. You implant this restriction and now they can only bot 6-8 hours a day instead of 18-22 hours a day.

At the end of the day I don't care about you addicts or the botters because I already uninstalled, however, I'm tired of people not being honest with themselves about their problems and showing a lack of intelligence. It's a lot of work trying to educate the ignorant. It's a losing battle because there are a lot more puppets and sheeps out there than strategist and problem solvers. I applaud the OP for providing solution!

So lets use you're perspective on things. Bot's are bad because? It effects the LB? Does your life lack so much real accomplishment that making it on some LB gives you meaning and hope?

I'm 58 years old and still have no problems putting in a 14+ hour work day in a hot kitchen prepping and cooking food for our small cafe that the wife and I own. Somehow 12 hours in a 24 hour period playing on the computer is taxing?

What about those family shared accounts? They either buy extra accounts which also would not permit family members to help family members with shared gear from the bank, all to remove bots?

Then there are the players in Clan's that play quite a bit and help out other Clan members who need it. They should be prevented from doing so once their 12 in 24 time is up? Seems a bit unfair to me.

As far as your 12 hours is ample time goes the game is not an MMO where you can't really do other things effectively (short of crafting) while logged in. I often do stuff around the house like laundry, cooking, cleaning in between playing. Twelve hours can add up quickly. Not everyone plays 12 hours continuously.

Now I totally agree that the Bot's are a problem in the game and even that the LB is important to many that play the game. I don't however agree that every half-brained solution put forward that punishes everyone, legitimate or not, is a good one. Cut it to 12 hours and the Bots loaded for 12 hours, 7 days a week will still have an unfair advantage.
Maybe they could use Facial Recognition to make sure a player is present and a special Diablo Lever you plug into a PCI-e slot you pull when the game client tells you. I prefer to just have USB underwear, though, that tracks me with GPS to make sure I'm near the Diablo Underwear Detector.
Bots might be a problem for those who treat diii like olimpic games and r very serious about it. If it is about leaderboards, competition then it should be also about fair play and equal chances :) bots - its like roids in 1oo meter men ;)

For me, everyone has their own idea of fun. For one it can be having the bot run for 24 hrs and then with pulse racing checking the loot out for 5 minutes be4 restarting the bot.

For me...its about grinding, having fun, raising skellies ;)

I dont play much these says...but come s12 its gonna b 2 maybe 3 hrs a day but it is a BIG maybe.
10/17/2017 01:35 AMPosted by StonePro
That's like asking automobile manufacturers to put a 5 mile per day limit that will shut down the car in order to decrease air pollution.

The auto manufacturer to implement that would not win any popularity contests.

Your analogy is deeply flawed. Car manufacturers are designing electric/hybrid cars to help with the air pollution problem. Certainly, there are alternative solutions to help reduce the botting problem.
Or, you know, detect and ban them.
10/17/2017 08:53 AMPosted by Tetra
Oh look, another thread created by someone that thinks punishing everyone is a good solution to "stopping" botters.

Except this solution wouldn't stop botters at all. The second a person plays less than 12 hours a day in a season they just fell behind forever. Next thing you know you have people on here arguing for only 8 hours of playtime a day. Then 6, then 4, then 2.

It never ends.

D3's infinite scaling is the true problem, but by all means, try to punish every legit player out there and keep your head buried in the sand.

Hyperbole much???? What percent of the playerbase plays more than 12 hours a day? A 12 hour limit would not punush "everyone" or "every legit player". If you are worried about the occasional diablo binge, one could limit it to 84 hours per week?
We could boycot Blizzard games until they do something about the problem.
Stop playing for a week, or more.
But you could only do this if you thought the problem was serious enough.
-When the shareholders start asking questions then maybe Blizzard would act.
It's not just a game to them...
10/17/2017 12:09 PMPosted by Deathkiss
What percent of the playerbase plays more than 12 hours a day? A 12 hour limit would not punush "everyone" or "every legit player". If you are worried about the occasional diablo binge, one could limit it to 84 hours per week?
Why do you want to limit the total playtime? A lot more elegant solution is to limit the playtime per character: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20753107102
10/17/2017 12:09 PMPosted by Deathkiss
What percent of the playerbase plays more than 12 hours a day? A 12 hour limit would not punush "everyone" or "every legit player".

Then it wouldn't solve anything either as those who bots would still have more play time than those who don't.
From what I have heard, as soon as Blizzard phases out the old 32-bit client, the bots and map hacks will all disappear.

As for limiting the number of hours a person can play, or implementing a Captcha program that requires a player to enter a sequence of letters/numbers or to identify a picture, they won't work. Limiting the impact of bots is not the same as eliminating them altogether, and unless a player has 12 hours a day to dedicate to playing Diablo 3 (you can pretty much rule out any functioning human being from this category), it would heavily favor players that use bots. Moreover, bots can solve Captcha programs.

But, if you want to know what the best solution is, then I would suggest that Blizzard should actively deter players from cheating, i.e by banning players more often. As it stands right now, the situation is FUBAR. Cheaters should not be able to hold a rank of the leader boards for more than a few weeks, let alone have their achievements and ranks archived for multiple Seasons in a row. What a joke.
Restrict bounty rewards. Implement such that you have to be in-game before any of the acts are completed (all 5/single act) and before the majority of 25 bounties are completed (that is join before 13 of 25 bounties completed). You won't get any bounty horadric caches if join too late. Such would restrict Clans who often help out new members getting them caches at higher difficulties. Yes, pluses and minuses.

For example, somebody (presumably a D3 botter) on a third party site advertises he can have 3-18 games for you to join a short period of time. Bounties for profit -- go figure.

Restrict Uber portals. To participate, you need to create at least one Uber portal. No more botted Uber machines.
Paragon cap > Limiting amount of time
10/17/2017 02:10 PMPosted by Trebek
Paragon cap > Limiting amount of time
Well, these are both valid solutions. The problem is I doubt the devs will implement any since D3 is in a maintenance mode. The best they could do is fix the Challenge Rifts. Maybe they'll do it before Season 20, maybe they won't. We have to see.
10/17/2017 12:56 AMPosted by Evil
make is so all 1 player can play is 12 hr a day that would slow the bot's down a lot right there and just about no one plays more then 12 hr a day anyway's

I feel that would help big time right there or at last slow them botters down

And if you just got to play more then 12hr buy 2 diablo accts if you just love this game like that

so if they did this it would stop acct shareing and really slow the bot's down this way if all you got to play was 8 hr and the bot played the full 12 then the bot would get 4 hr on you but that's better then 16 hr like it is now.
evil quit being dumb lol
10/17/2017 06:57 AMPosted by Tohki
How about we have a captcha pop up after every 5th hour of play?

On suspected accounts
I am surprised that they don't round up all bot software as regular players, deconstruct them and find the weakness and implement a "flu shot" so to speak.

For all we know they could be doing that now...*shrug*
If they care about true competition in seasons, then limit the amount of paragon to 2,000 or 2,500.

However, still allow the player to keep earning xp which rolls over into Non-Season.

If they do not care, they will just let the bots run rampant.

Time will tell I guess.