how to slow the bot's way down

General Discussion
10/17/2017 12:13 PMPosted by ZeeLoyd
We could boycot Blizzard games until they do something about the problem.
Stop playing for a week, or more.
But you could only do this if you thought the problem was serious enough.
-When the shareholders start asking questions then maybe Blizzard would act.
It's not just a game to them...

Just how exactly would that work? Less stress on their servers for a product already paid for in full. Cancel a subscription to WoW for a month and complain about Diablo 3? Not play other games in the stable that you paid money into to teach them a lesson about Diablo 3?

First off, the bots will keep running. Any players that play for the game, not the LB will keep playing. The only lesson learned is that boycotts only work when they are targeted at the product being boycotted causing a financial loss. You might as well wear a ribbon on your clothing to cure botting and hope somehow the universe is a better place for your efforts.
10/17/2017 03:02 PMPosted by Griff
First off, the bots will keep running. Any players that play for the game, not the LB will keep playing. The only lesson learned is that boycotts only work when they are targeted at the product being boycotted causing a financial loss. You might as well wear a ribbon on your clothing to cure botting and hope somehow the universe is a better place for your efforts.
+1. The better way is to communicate with the devs. Blizzcon is coming and some popular D3 streamers will be going. A lot of players watch these streamers and could ask them if they can talk with the devs about how much botting/cheating is destroying D3.

We need to communicate with the devs. D3 still has a lot of fans and they don't have to give up on them!
How about implementing an authentication system? Start of every GR or rift (can make it every 3rd or so) ask player to enter the code messaged/displayed on screen. Or as soon as a game is created ask player to teleport to specific waypoint before playing?
None of these idea will work because in truth Blizz had (has?) a pretty effective method of identifying and banning botters. For whatever reason, they chose to not enforce it.

If they did bans on a regular schedule (like weekly) there would be no botting in this game. These clowns will only plunk down $20 now because it buys them a season or more of exploits. reduce that to a week and they will go away. One week is enough time to separate normal playing times from automated bots.

So any clever idea you think of (like creating an anti cheat sniffer called warden etc) will fail since it will never be enforced.

Oh and before you post about how much time and money it takes for Blizz to enforce their own rules please hold your breath. I have seen the sales figures for this game, it's enough to support this IP for 50 years with the small crew they currently have on it and still walk away with a ton of profit.
10/17/2017 03:56 AMPosted by Hamiltonz
I've said it before (in response to loot box idea) allow players to buy exp multipliers.

Sell them for cheap. Cap exp gain to what could be earned in a 24 hour period. This would effectively end the gain botters get from AFK exp farming.

example: Player A buys a 2x multiplier and caps out after 12 hours. Player B buys a 3x multiplier and caps out after 8 hours. They can play for longer but they cannot earn exp past that deadline. It would be more effective to measure "hours played" per day and double and triple the time played while the bonus was in effect than try to guestimate the expected exp per day.

It's bad enough someone is cheating to get ahead of me, I shouldn't have to then pay money in order to be able to keep up with them. That is adding insult to injury.
I've said it before (in response to loot box idea) allow players to buy exp multipliers.

Sell them for cheap. Cap exp gain to what could be earned in a 24 hour period. This would effectively end the gain botters get from AFK exp farming.
Pray tell, how would selling an XP boost prevent botters from buying said XP boost and getting that much farther ahead?
10/17/2017 06:57 AMPosted by Tohki
How about we have a captcha pop up after every 5th hour of play?

Captcha is good. It only takes a few seconds and gives people a chance to rest their eyes. After all, sitting in town for whatever reason takes longer than that.
So, I'll be the politically incorrect 800 lb gorilla in the corner.

Honest people, often with common sense get tired of concessions made thwart dishonest people or protect the incredible dumb ones in life. Warning labels on just about anything to protect you from just about anything. Chance losing your fingers while opening up some package designed to discourage theft. Medicine bottles that you push in, turn, pull up and squeeze just a little to open. Warning: do not use the electric products while taking a bath or operating a motorcycle!

You get the picture. So now we have all these suggestions that honest players should not mind using methods to curtail bots that intrude on their immersion of the game or curtail their playing time.

Cat's already out of the bag though since botting has been going on forever and catching up to the cheaters is not likely to happen. They already have the edge and even if you stopped all the bots it would be some time before one could catch up. That is of course if the botters simply took a vacation and did not keep up using honest methods of play. How would you ban or roll back some account that used bots in the past, gained the advantage, then stopped? That's not likely to happen.
So people object to the 12hr/day cap, due to weekends ect. I get that.

However there may be other timeframes that are applicable. Perhaps 12/day over the course of a week? IOW 84 hrs in a week. Wolfcryer on youtube showed where to reach the levels some players reached one would have to play 33hrs everyday during the season. Hopefully we can agree that isn't humanly possible.

HAs anyone ever played >80 hrs per week?
10/17/2017 08:00 PMPosted by PF13
So people object to the 12hr/day cap, due to weekends ect. I get that.

However there may be other timeframes that are applicable. Perhaps 12/day over the course of a week? IOW 84 hrs in a week. Wolfcryer on youtube showed where to reach the levels some players reached one would have to play 33hrs everyday during the season. Hopefully we can agree that isn't humanly possible.

HAs anyone ever played >80 hrs per week?

You know why they stopped bonus weekends in the game? They stopped it because not everyone could take advantage of a bonus weekend since not everyone has the same days off. My weekend is Monday/Tuesday and part of Wednesday.

I've also played online games with Military personnel who's kids played during the day and the wife/husband played during their free hours in a different time zone.

Today I logged in for around 9 hours while doing stuff around the house while my wife was at her Mom's. Tonight we played around 4 hours together. That's 13 hours on my account. I'm not keen on logging in and out every time I step away from the game to do stuff.

Limiting the log in time only means that a bot can log in for 12 hours of continuous play and still gain an advantage 84 hours a week while a player behind the keyboard has to limit their time actually playing the game as intended.
10/17/2017 03:01 PMPosted by Demonmonger
If they care about true competition in seasons, then limit the amount of paragon to 2,000 or 2,500

Change how leaderboards work not paragon. Hours played doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Diablo is a grinding game though -- the more you play, the more likely your characters get upgraded repeatedly. Causals shouldn't have to compete against those pounding keyboards 40-80+ hours/week. If anything, consider paragon ranges vs leaderboard: 0-799, 800-1499, 1500-2399, 2500 and up.
10/17/2017 08:27 PMPosted by SilverFox
10/17/2017 03:01 PMPosted by Demonmonger
If they care about true competition in seasons, then limit the amount of paragon to 2,000 or 2,500

Change how leaderboards work not paragon. Hours played doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Diablo is a grinding game though -- the more you play, the more likely your characters get upgraded repeatedly. Causals shouldn't have to compete against those pounding keyboards 40-80+ hours/week. If anything, consider paragon ranges vs leaderboard: 0-799, 800-1499, 1500-2399, 2500 and up.

#2400Paragonlivesmatter
10/17/2017 08:33 AMPosted by Blitzcano

Here's the thing. If any of you are coming close to playing D3 12-hours a day you NEED HELP. The fact you all lose it when someone even suggest a 12-hour time limit is another indication YOU NEED HELP.

[/quote]
Kinda like the people losing their minds over people botting in a game.
10/17/2017 05:46 PMPosted by Vaerosi

Pray tell, how would selling an XP boost prevent botters from buying said XP boost and getting that much farther ahead?
I'm glad you asked.

Lets assume Bob bots for the full 24 hours a day. Lets assume the 2x multiplier is 10 cents per day. Lets assume Alice plays for 12 hours a day.

Bob starts up his game and buys a 2x multiplier. For the first 12 hours Bob is gaining double exp. For the next 12 hours Bob is gaining zero exp (due to the cap).

Alice starts up her game and buys a 2x multiplier. For the first 12 hours Alice gains double exp. For the next 12 hours Alice is logged off or idle and gains zero exp.

For 10 cents a day Alice gets an equal amount of exp as Bob. Bob is just wasting his money.
10/17/2017 04:49 PMPosted by Alexismad

example: Player A buys a 2x multiplier and caps out after 12 hours. Player B buys a 3x multiplier and caps out after 8 hours. They can play for longer but they cannot earn exp past that deadline. It would be more effective to measure "hours played" per day and double and triple the time played while the bonus was in effect than try to guestimate the expected exp per day.

It's bad enough someone is cheating to get ahead of me, I shouldn't have to then pay money in order to be able to keep up with them. That is adding insult to injury.
Then I would suggest that Blizzard award everyone double exp for the first 12 hours of play a day and then zero after that. Costs no one extra money and only hurts those botting (and account sharing). Maybe, to be fair make it only count time spent inside a greater rift. Ain't no one sitting idle while that clock is ticking.
10/17/2017 01:40 AMPosted by Meteorblade
So, your idea to limit botters is to punish legitimate players that play a lot?
No thanks.

I don’t think legit players, for the most part will complain about this. 12 hours is generous for solo play.
I think Blizzard would have to have some kind of punishment system to slow down botters.

Lets say said botter is kicked from a bounty game 3 times over a period of 2 hours. They now get a 5 min ban from playing bounties.

After the 5 mins they can play again but if they are kicked one more time the ban goes to 10mins. etc etc etc

After repeated infractions you get put into low priority where you can play the game but earn nothing from it 0 exp towards paragon and legit players gain nothing from playing with you. This lasts for maybe 12-24hours and if it happens within a month 24-48 hours etc.

This is basically the same system that Dota has and it slowed down bots and leavers.

I think it would be great for everyone.

-You wouldn't see bots in public games (less crying on the forum).
-rage issue/bad/idiot players would be forced to get good.
-botters would have to buy 4 accounts to do bounties so blizz would make more money to develop game.

There would still be bots but at least they wouldn't directly effect legit players other then the leader boards.