[Linux] Wine 2.0, and Diablo 3 2.6.1 workaround.

Technical Support
There have been updates. You need to download a lot of stuff so I suggest PlayOnLinux, and choose Wine 2.0 (experimental) from the drop down menu. Choose Windows 7 as the Windows version as XP and Vista are no longer supported. It works rather well. Scroll down through the list until you find the Blizzard/Activision section. Make sure you have downloaded the Blizzard launcher application FROM THEIR WEBSITE Windows version, and choose that from the menu. The download link in the program is broken at least at the moment. It will ask you to install DirectX latest, and VC Redist and download the Windows DLLs from DLL source, do so. Believe me this saves a lot of headaches of doing this crap by hand. It runs smooth enough. Better than on Windows from my personal tests.

Run the launcher and download/locate Diablo 3. This is what I did for the PTR and it worked 99.99%. I don't want to say 100% because there might be some unforeseen bug.

I wish Blizzard would just support Linux. You people seemingly hate money lately. I would literally buy the game and all expansions, and make sure collectors editions AGAIN if it were a Linux version. I would not mind paying again if it meant proper friggen support! I would do this FOR EVERY GAME. Including WoW. I would lovingly pay again, seriously! Stop ignoring Linux.
Considering the share market of both Linux and Mac combined ...I'm surprised anyone still supports those platforms.

There are more Windows XP users than there are Linux users.

That said, I wouldn't hate them for doing it, but lets not get all high and mighty, flinging inane statements at them like "they must hate money". It probably would cost them more to higher 1 guy to port the game over to Linux than they would get back in sales purely because said player could only play because it supported Linux.
09/24/2017 06:38 PMPosted by JoeShmo

How sure are you on that?
I'll just leave this here for you to parooze at your leasure...
https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
6% and growing is hardly just a "handful"
Mac users are hovering around 10%

People are growing tired of Windows. There is a massive marketshare for Linux gaming, enough so for Steam to support it. Sure less than 1% of steam users are on Linux, but less than 1% of steam games exist for Linux, but the number of Linux games and users is growing. An entire untapped market.

Albion Online just announced Linux support by the way. I think I may go support that company as we keep getting ignored by Blizzard.

Oh and I am not acting high and mighty, but I am quite hurt that Blizzard, a company that I love, and have supported since childhood, note that I am now 33, is ignoring me and my request for support.
09/24/2017 12:53 AMPosted by PonyKiller

I wish Blizzard would just support Linux. You people seemingly hate money lately.

I wouldn't say supporting the major platforms as "hating making money". It seems they are doing pretty well at that.
09/25/2017 06:23 AMPosted by Oneup
09/24/2017 12:53 AMPosted by PonyKiller

I wish Blizzard would just support Linux. You people seemingly hate money lately.

I wouldn't say supporting the major platforms as "hating making money". It seems they are doing pretty well at that.

Linux is a major platform I thank you.
Haha, I think 400 of your posts are about Linux.

I must say I disagree with you on most, but appreciate that you continue to champion your cause!
09/24/2017 11:15 PMPosted by PonyKiller
Mac users are hovering around 10%

Biased website statistics are biased, user proper statistical sites that is unbiased - here you go:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

About 3.37% use Linux, 6.09% Win XP - Mac sits at 3.59%.

Linux is a minor market with limited options due to the lack of development for the platform - most programmers and engineers likes to get paid.
09/24/2017 06:38 PMPosted by JoeShmo

This one says 3.4% (up from 2.5 just a few months ago) and while 6% may not (or may) mean just a handful, I'm pretty confident that 2-3% however do.

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/09/01/1639250/linux-desktop-market-share-crosses-3

People are growing tired of Windows.

Heh, uh, no. Windows is losing 'market shares' only to Android and they are just because mobile devices and I'd say 90% of those also use Windows on desktop, just like they always did.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
Keep championing for a company who sells your personal information! Just because it's the way it's always been. Change is somehow scarier than an evil corporation who collects literally everything about you that they can and chooses to do with it what they want without you even having a say in the matter. Why is this OK?

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

We also share data with Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf

It has been proven that they share your data with these "affiliate" programs and do nothing to vet them.

If Equifax was hacked and your information released, how long do you expect Microsoft to hold out?

Go on keep trusting Microsoft, while I sit pretty watching on in awe and bemusement when they do get hacked.
09/25/2017 10:45 AMPosted by PonyKiller
If Equifax was hacked and your information released, how long do you expect Microsoft to hold out?

Then stop watching !@#$ all the time if you don't want them to find out.

Geez conspiracy morons get dumber every day...
09/25/2017 08:11 PMPosted by KiWeN
09/25/2017 10:45 AMPosted by PonyKiller

Then stop watching !@#$ all the time if you don't want them to find out.

Geez conspiracy morons get dumber every day...

#1 I don't watch whatever that word was,

#2 it's not a conspiracy if a company is actively doing it, admits openly to doing it, and basically tells you tough crap. It's a fact. Stop burying your head in the sand and actually research the subject. I implore you and everyone to look into Windows 10 Telemetry, it is as bad as it sounds.
09/25/2017 09:43 AMPosted by PonyKiller
09/25/2017 06:23 AMPosted by Oneup

What store do you go to to buy games for it?
Man, things get dark quickly when ponykiller's around.
09/26/2017 03:06 PMPosted by BeGentle
ponykiller
LOL for sure.
09/26/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Oneup
09/25/2017 09:43 AMPosted by PonyKiller

What store do you go to to buy games for it?

You can buy games on Steam for Linux. Albion Online sells their game for Linux. The list of games that have Linux support is growing every day.

09/26/2017 03:06 PMPosted by BeGentle
Man, things get dark quickly when ponykiller's around.

They don't have to "get dark". I sincerely care about my fellow people, my brothers and sisters on this blue marble that we call home. I wish to share in this experience we call life. We can do that without being all evil toward each other, spiteful, nor angry for suggesting that the option to be awesome exists. I wish to warn other people against those who seek to cause harm for personal or financial gain. I wouldn't call that dark. But I am not afraid of bullies, and wish to empower you and your family against darkness.
Even 20 years ago, I knew people harping about *nix platforms and how they should be more mainstream. Unfortunately, until they're more user friendly and easily accessed, we're going to have the scenario we have at present where most developments simply can not afford another platform or are unwilling to invest for such a minimal return.

Sure, I've hated the direction Microsoft seems to be going with their OS from 8 and beyond, but until Apple stops being overpriced hipster wares or other platforms step up their game, Windows it going to maintain its dominance. And this late into D3's lifespan, I wouldn't expect yet another version iteration when I'm sure guaranteeing compatibility across PC, PS4, and XB is a pain enough as is.
09/26/2017 04:54 PMPosted by Saidosha
Unfortunately, until they're more user friendly and easily accessed, we're going to have the scenario we have at present where most developments simply can not afford another platform or are unwilling to invest for such a minimal return.

Have you tried Linux in the last oh I don't know 8 or so years? How hard is it to download a iso from a website, burn the ISO to DVD and install without having to worry about drivers or anything. Everything is pretty much set up for you. You can use live USB as well and there are even programs developed for Windows that do all the work for you. People who say Linux isn't user friendly needs to check themselves into the nearest behavioral science unit. Mac OS is harder to use than Linux and that's saying something!
You grossly underestimate people paranoid about accidentally bricking their computer or simply not having the accessories handy (or the willingness to buy) for a third-party install. I may've grown up on computers. My parents certainly didn't.

It may seem easy for us as gamers or as more computer savvy individuals, but you also have to stop and think how far brand recognition also goes. I doubt I could walk into one of my nearby Walmarts and find an out-of-the-box system with Linux pre-loaded. The average consumer isn't individually ordering parts and cobbling together their monster rig that'll play the best games at 4k and other max settings. They want what they know (which has largely been decades of Windows), they want what they know works, and they want what they know has mainstream support.

The lack of a Linux port for D3 is not the fault of Blizzard so much as it as it is the lack of appeal the OS has. No amount of you being a personal convert and singing their praises will change that. It's on the people behind Linux to start making those deals and convincing consumers it is not the lesser option. Whatever they're doing with Albion may be a step in that direction, but it's just that, a step. You've got better luck with D4 here when/if that's a thing.
Not going to happen but A+ for effort
09/27/2017 09:34 AMPosted by PonyKiller
Have you tried Linux in the last oh I don't know 8 or so years?

I actually tried to get a usable Ubuntu installed the other day for my workbench computer, supposedly the most user-friendly distro of all. Mouse pointer had a movement speed of about two million and the slider did nothing and I couldn't find where to adjust scroll wheel speed because it was way too slow. So five minutes into this endeavour, I gave up because I couldn't even get the most rudimentary computer peripheral working correctly. So about the same result as the other five dozen times I've tried out Ubuntu.

I hate spending money if I don't have to, but needless to say, that's what I did and *boom* Windows 7 worked. What a shocker.