[Linux] Wine 2.0, and Diablo 3 2.6.1 workaround.

Technical Support
09/26/2017 03:39 PMPosted by PonyKiller
They don't have to "get dark". I sincerely care about my fellow people, my brothers and sisters on this blue marble that we call home. I wish to share in this experience we call life. We can do that without being all evil toward each other, spiteful, nor angry for suggesting that the option to be awesome exists. I wish to warn other people against those who seek to cause harm for personal or financial gain. I wouldn't call that dark. But I am not afraid of bullies, and wish to empower you and your family against darkness.

I'm not denying the truth of this, but I do have to ask: why does this matter? What exactly are these companies going to do with knowledge of things like what videos you watch, what your browsing patterns are like, what types of things you buy, etc.
09/26/2017 03:39 PMPosted by PonyKiller
09/26/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Oneup
What store do you go to to buy games for it?

You can buy games on Steam for Linux. Albion Online sells their game for Linux. The list of games that have Linux support is growing every day.

09/26/2017 03:06 PMPosted by BeGentle
Man, things get dark quickly when ponykiller's around.

They don't have to "get dark". I sincerely care about my fellow people, my brothers and sisters on this blue marble that we call home. I wish to share in this experience we call life. We can do that without being all evil toward each other, spiteful, nor angry for suggesting that the option to be awesome exists. I wish to warn other people against those who seek to cause harm for personal or financial gain. I wouldn't call that dark. But I am not afraid of bullies, and wish to empower you and your family against darkness.

Talking about retail store distribution.
09/28/2017 08:10 AMPosted by Oneup
Talking about retail store distribution.

When was the last time you bought anything computer related from a retail store? A video game? I buy all my stuff digitally online, then I don't have to waste my gas and time going to a store, to deal with people who know less than I do about a certain product standing over me asking "do you need any help?" insinuating that I am there to steal their items. No thank you I would rather sit in the comfort of my living room. I buy almost everything online except for groceries which may change soon too due to the rising prices of in store groceries and online vendor offerings.

To add to my point, when was the last time you saw a radio shack or a circuit city? They are closing because people would rather shop online. The only one still existing is Best Buy which are closing 157 stores. Toys R Us are closing 70% of their retail locations. Sears is going out of business as well as K-Mart because people are just shopping online. Your argument is very moot good sir. Thank you for trying though. A+ for effort, but this mindset is quickly dying off.

09/27/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Saidosha
You grossly underestimate people paranoid about accidentally bricking their computer or simply not having the accessories handy (or the willingness to buy) for a third-party install. I may've grown up on computers. My parents certainly didn't.

I do and the last time my dad bricked his Windows install which was about a year ago I put Fedora on his machine with KDE and he loves it. He can do everything he ever did in Windows, I sat with him and showed him how everything worked, and he picked it up very quickly. He even calls me from time to time and asks why Windows was never designed to be this easy. You can't chime paranoia over bricking ones machine as a reason Windows is better. Calmly walk said people through a Linux Distribution that is based solely on stability, and honestly unless they have some odd piece of software that doesn't run in Wine, which after Microsoft released the Windows core as open source, Wine 2.0's compatibility is at an all time high.

The reason that you believe it lacks appeal is due to the very fact that you never tried it. Go download VMWare Player which is 100% free, and give a few distros a spin. It truly is amazing how good Linux and open source applications have become. VLC Media Player, Libre Office 5, and to a lesser extent now Firefox which I use at work on my Windows machine. I think that the issue of people not finding appeal in a free operating system is the free bit. There is a lot of money to be made.

09/28/2017 04:16 AMPosted by Vresiberba
I actually tried to get a usable Ubuntu installed the other day for my workbench computer, supposedly the most user-friendly distro of all.

It has not been the most user friendly for quite some time now. That happy title has fell with Linux Mint for the last 5 or 6 years friend. You said that you only gave 1 very poorly designed distribution which happens to be the most hated Linux distribution on the planet at the moment 5 minutes and gave up on all of Linux. Sure with this mind set Windows will work better. You already know how to use it. You do not want to learn anything new. I understand that. Time can be a bit much for people who work a lot. I completely understand. I promise you though there are a TON of distributions that are designed far better than Ubuntu.

Which leads to my final point. You can design for any distribution you want. Linux Standard Base covers a vast array of distributions. You can use any desktop you want as well and it will not effect compatibility. So you can take your applications and software with you when you do go. Distro hopping as it is termed is quite fun and you can learn a lot about computers in the process. Even if you do go back to using Windows 7, you will have a much greater respect for your computer, and a much richer deeper understanding of how things work. What I find annoying is that people write Linux off as this monster. They are afraid to try anything new. Virtual machine software exists. I suggest VMWare Player as it is free and possibly the best. Virtual Box is nice too but not as good. I purchased VMWare Workstation for myself as I use the software to great extent. They support Linux and make a ton of money doing so.

My point is there is money to be made and Linux isn't scary. It is less scary than using Windows 10 though thats for sure.
You do know that linux mint is just ubuntu with a different window manager right? :)
Wow! I was starting to think misscheetah was the only mvp lol. Good work :D.
09/29/2017 11:42 AMPosted by Pestilence
Wow! I was starting to think misscheetah was the only mvp lol. Good work :D.

Mostly true :) Hal is busy these days but drops in when he can. He tends to focus on Networking issues mostly. Monstrous is also around on rare occasions and we have some Reddit mods flagged as MVPs too but they almost never post.

When was the last time you bought anything computer related from a retail store? A video game? I buy all my stuff digitally online, then I don't have to waste my gas and time going to a store, to deal with people who know less than I do about a certain product standing over me asking "do you need any help?" insinuating that I am there to steal their items. No thank you I would rather sit in the comfort of my living room. I buy almost everything online except for groceries which may change soon too due to the rising prices of in store groceries and online vendor offerings.

To add to my point, when was the last time you saw a radio shack or a circuit city? They are closing because people would rather shop online. The only one still existing is Best Buy which are closing 157 stores. Toys R Us are closing 70% of their retail locations. Sears is going out of business as well as K-Mart because people are just shopping online. Your argument is very moot good sir. Thank you for trying though. A+ for effort, but this mindset is quickly dying off.

No, actually it isn't. There are more than a few great vendors that sell laptops with Linux (Ubuntu or otherwise) preinstalled and optimized on their computers, the catch is that few of them are sold in retail stores (at least in the U.S.). A LOT of people still prefer buying laptops from a physical store so they can test them out... this includes my co-workers, who (like me), are hybrid Developer/Systems Admins that work in Linux all day.

That said, if anyone IS interested in great, high quality Linux computers, Dell's XPS and Precision line have an Ubuntu option and System76 sell desktops and laptops with ONLY Ubuntu or Pop!_OS (Their own distro aimed at Software Devs/Admins/etc).

I do and the last time my dad bricked his Windows install which was about a year ago I put Fedora on his machine with KDE and he loves it. He can do everything he ever did in Windows, I sat with him and showed him how everything worked, and he picked it up very quickly. He even calls me from time to time and asks why Windows was never designed to be this easy. You can't chime paranoia over bricking ones machine as a reason Windows is better. Calmly walk said people through a Linux Distribution that is based solely on stability, and honestly unless they have some odd piece of software that doesn't run in Wine, which after Microsoft released the Windows core as open source, Wine 2.0's compatibility is at an all time high.

The reason that you believe it lacks appeal is due to the very fact that you never tried it. Go download VMWare Player which is 100% free, and give a few distros a spin. It truly is amazing how good Linux and open source applications have become. VLC Media Player, Libre Office 5, and to a lesser extent now Firefox which I use at work on my Windows machine. I think that the issue of people not finding appeal in a free operating system is the free bit. There is a lot of money to be made.

This is actually quite true - many average computer users that try modern Linux distros (like Mint, Ubuntu, etc) DO like them, but they also don't usually install the OS themselves. As someone who's used several Linux Distros, Windows 95-10, and Mac OS, I can definitely say that modern Linux desktop/user focused distros are easier to install and update than Windows or Mac AND it's easier to install drivers than Windows (Literally go to "Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers -> Nvidia 3.75.x -> Apply").

Now, my primary reason for replying is that your "Workaround" post is not very informative, I've worked as a Linux Admin/Engineer and now Develop in it, I can't figure out from your post what needs to be installed in WINE to get D3 to run in a Windows 7 WINE_PREFIX. You need to be very specific as though talking to a 5 year old kid and don't assume everyone (including other Linux users) know exactly what you're talking about.

I.E. - Which DirectX version to install from winetricks/PoL? Which vcrun version? What "Windows DLLs" are you talking about? Be specific.
Linux sucks hard. It's not for average desktop pc user, things are too compilcated with it.
10/20/2017 08:39 PMPosted by CMyTA
Linux sucks hard. It's not for average desktop pc user, things are too compilcated with it.

Pride and Prejudice

It's NOT 1997 now. A modern desktop Linux system and a Windows system are equally hard to a muggle, and equally easy to a wizard.
09/24/2017 12:53 AMPosted by PonyKiller
There have been updates. You need to download a lot of stuff so I suggest PlayOnLinux, and choose Wine 2.0 (experimental) from the drop down menu. Choose Windows 7 as the Windows version as XP and Vista are no longer supported. It works rather well. Scroll down through the list until you find the Blizzard/Activision section. Make sure you have downloaded the Blizzard launcher application FROM THEIR WEBSITE Windows version, and choose that from the menu. The download link in the program is broken at least at the moment. It will ask you to install DirectX latest, and VC Redist and download the Windows DLLs from DLL source, do so. Believe me this saves a lot of headaches of doing this crap by hand. It runs smooth enough. Better than on Windows from my personal tests.

Run the launcher and download/locate Diablo 3. This is what I did for the PTR and it worked 99.99%. I don't want to say 100% because there might be some unforeseen bug.

I wish Blizzard would just support Linux. You people seemingly hate money lately. I would literally buy the game and all expansions, and make sure collectors editions AGAIN if it were a Linux version. I would not mind paying again if it meant proper friggen support! I would do this FOR EVERY GAME. Including WoW. I would lovingly pay again, seriously! Stop ignoring Linux.

Support Linux directly is expensive. The cheaper way is to publish a bootable USB image -- Linux+Diablo3 dongle .
Boot and play everywhere!

This is reasonable for all online games.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=28855&sClass=version

Works great. Make sure you have the core fonts installed, and turn of browser enhancements in the Blizzard App.
I would buy a Linux version.

I play on my iMac almost exclusively, thanks for that!

3% of a billion is a lot of potential customers.

When you want to increase sales, even 3% is eventually worth it.
I don't know why people have this bad habit of bashing linux as an usable OS every damn time someone is asking an app to support it.
We (linux users) aren't preaching anything to anyone and surely don't want to get into one more useless OS argument which always leads nowhere.

We just want to play games in our chosen OS. I'm just tired to say that I still have windows on my home desktop only to play Blizzard games. Nothing more. And I'd surely love to move definitely to linux because there are too many things I dislike on windows.

And like DennyCrane said, 3% of a billion is a lot of potential customers. Statistics are very nice but they hide the real numbers behind the facts.
Can some one help me with this error? Running Lunix Manjaro
B12CF38C-03AD-4E33-9C2A-6C2A9077AC74
I am brand new to Linux never installed before.
Locking this thread since it's a few years old now. A new thread can be created to continue the discussion.

As a note, Linux is not a supported operating system for Blizzard games. Only Windows and Macintosh systems are supported. It may be better to ask around on Linux specific communities for suggestions for troubleshooting crashes or over wine configurations.