1-70 sucks hard

General Discussion
I'm sorry, but the initial leveling process through level 70 is an abysmal slog. You get all excited about a leg dropping only to have it obsolete and replaced by a blue drop ten minutes later. I put off starting this season simply because I dreaded this part. After you've played a few seasons, there is zero joy till you get to 70.

For a season reward, keep your wings and your set armor and your portrait frame. Give me a level 70 bypass token for the following season.
Some people prefer the end game begin at level 70 just like in WoW. Old school player like me prefer something similar to D2 and POE where everything you earn during your journey to max level is valuable and it's not necessary to reach max level to play the end game.

This is why most people decided to just get a power level and then begged for someone to help them with the season journal so that they can jump straight to the end game.

The thing is nobody play levelling a week after the season start except for the occasional new player. I don't understand why forced the new player to go through a dreadfully boring process just so they can play with others in the end game. Why not just start everyone in end game if you intent to go with the "game only start at x level" mentality?
Well considering Kanai's Cube pre-70 legendaries aren't entirely devoid of uses. But yeah, they screwed this part up big time. Saying Diablo II had the right idea is getting old but it's kind of self-explanatory in most cases.
Honestly, I find the 1-70 trek more satisfying than the "endgame" slog. I suspect the primary reason for that is that while leveling, I'm making tangible progress either in levels, in gear, professions, or all of the above. Once I hit 70 my progression slows down dramatically, especially on hardcore. It's worse for us solo players than for those that group and get much faster and easier access to lots of gear.

1-70 would be much more enjoyable though, if Death's Breaths dropped starting at LV 1 instead of 61. I mean, getting Kanai's Cube and not really being able to use it for 60 levels (unless you get super lucky with legendaries and did the challenge rift first to get the cache reward to cube those legendaries with) is a major roadblock to fun. And that's the problem with games that are "top heavy" and focus solely on endgame instead of the journey too. They end up being abysmal until you get to the endgame stage.

D2's success came in that you had a variety of loot to choose from during leveling, sets that actually mattered early on other than the EXP set D3 players use, and crafting that actually felt like a reward rather than a crutch. D2's primary problem was the rune system's rarity. Even today a Zod is stupid rare to the point it's just easier to farm up items to trade for duped versions.
Stop crying, noob
11/14/2017 04:42 AMPosted by Neogeo
This is why most people decided to just get a power level and then begged for someone to help them with the season journal so that they can jump straight to the end game.

Yeah, I was tempted, but it just feels wrong. I'm too lazy to do it myself, so I'll have someone else do it for me? Once we get deeper into the season and I'm in a position to do it for others, I might ask for help with additional season toons.
The best way to solve this issue beyond your first toon, is to setup your alts with low lv slotted rings + ammy + slotted weapon to bring it to lv 1 (best weapon you can get with XP boost), and you can level to 1-70 in under 30 minutes solo with the right setup. Don't forget to cube items as well.
1 to 70 is a time sink.

But you can reduce that time sink to within 4 hours by chaining mobs in Act 1 Hall and FoM, if you are a solo player.

Play in a group and you will probably level faster.
With the right group it takes about 2-3 hours to get from 1-70. Since gear is level scales in d3. Its going to be quick before the next upgrade comes if you’re leveling at a fast pace.

But it’s okay there are handful legendary gear that drops at low level you can cube at 70
We couldn't get a group on Thursday, I got a Monk in after an hour and we did painful grind for 7 hours! Felt like I was runnin 90s most of the time, hardest fights of my life, but most rewarding. I got my money's worth!
3 hour bounty run... LOL!
I really enjoy 1-70 every season. I started late and had friends offer to PL me and I said no.
Think about it, at 70, you're constantly running the same rift/GRs one after the other and if you're lucky you'll get an upgrade every few days. While levelling, you can do whatever you want and not feel inefficient for not pushing speed meta, and you get upgrades and new skills every 10 minutes!
11/14/2017 03:58 AMPosted by kayakpat
I'm sorry, but the initial leveling process through level 70 is an abysmal slog. You get all excited about a leg dropping only to have it obsolete and replaced by a blue drop ten minutes later. I put off starting this season simply because I dreaded this part. After you've played a few seasons, there is zero joy till you get to 70.

For a season reward, keep your wings and your set armor and your portrait frame. Give me a level 70 bypass token for the following season.

Hit me up - I'll have you to 70 in 15 minutes.
Initial seasons push involves 1-70, chapters 1-4 for free set, Kanai's cube, then the grind begins. Quite a few made a seasons character, then immediately did the Challenge Rift before grinding 1-70 -- reward is worth it. Yes, Blizzard could give you S12 level 70 with free set upon starting seasons, but where is the fun in that. This is D3 seasons not WoW. No different than D2 ladders.
I wish myself for D4 that theres a LVL cap of 100 and that it needs months to reach it. (like in Diablo 2 or POE f.e.)
2 hours to 70 is a real slog, get some friends and l2p noob.
The real slog is the first few levels where you don't have any AOE or ST skills (depending on class). And the movement at half speed when you find the 12% boost for the remainder of the leveling.

I'm undecided between the D3 focus on the post-70 endgame and GRs, and the D2/POE/GD leveling past 3 difficulties. It is sad in a way that 1-70 has little meaning in D3; on the other hand, it does get grindy in the latter case playing the same quests and maps 3 times.

I guess as long as there are interesting or challenging things to do, either endgame is find. But I do prefer the leveling in D3 to be more involved and engaging.

FWIW I find that I learn more about the nuances in the way my class plays in seasons than in NS where I am just putting a bunch of existing skills and gear together.
There's plenty of folks who offer free plevels once they have sufficient gear, join a community , it helps a ton :)
I like it. no other time do i find usable items more often than that first 3 hours.
11/14/2017 06:39 AMPosted by Namcap
I really enjoy 1-70 every season. I started late and had friends offer to PL me and I said no.
Think about it, at 70, you're constantly running the same rift/GRs one after the other and if you're lucky you'll get an upgrade every few days. While levelling, you can do whatever you want and not feel inefficient for not pushing speed meta, and you get upgrades and new skills every 10 minutes!

Totally agree, and I did the same thing. It felt so good to use cleave: rupture to blow up packs, just like the old days.