What keeps you playing?

General Discussion
Hello!

What is it that keeps you all playing this game season after season? The only reason that I felt was a reason to play was playing with friends. The games itself feels like it have been doing for the last years, same old same old.

What content do you want / need to keep on / start play again?
I was about to give up on Seasons but S12 looks promising to me with the buffs all around in 2.6.1. In previous Seasons and patches I felt like I was forced to play just one build and I found that discouraging. Plus I really like the portrait frame for this Season. For instance I was not a fan of the Wizard but come this recent patch I finally found a couple of Wiz builds really fun to play.

For S11 I just didn't give a hoot and threw in the towel early and let things be but Blizz pull through for S12 and that made me held on a bit longer. We'll see what is in store for S13. There are a few folks stated that we are heading into maintenance mode but I am going to keep an open mind about this and see how this will evolve further until Blizz itself decides to let this go.
I like collecting the season portraits. I finish to guardian every season just to collect those, and the start of the season is generally pretty fun for at least a few weeks.

Even though I already finished guardian this season, I expect to be playing for at least a couple more weeks before taking the break until next season :P
Already have gotten all my extra stash a few seasons back and I can't really be bothered about the cosmetics.

What brings me to seasons is the fresh start coupled with changes in builds each patch and the challenge of making a character from zero to a GR killing machine.

Pick your own challenge, I started doing zero augment gear pushes last 2 seasons, DH Impale at GR90 in S11 and Necro Rathma at GR94 in S12 all done solo. This season is a Barb and will see how it goes.
I play hardcore and help people level up when they die. The hardcore player base loves people who help them level up from 1-70.
Sometimes I like smashing horde of monsters. D3 is the best when it comes to smashing hordes of monsters.
I login Day 1 of Season, Finish Seasonal Journey with 24 hours of playtime.. Usually thats also the first day of season cause im grinding. Get my Portrait. Go to NS
I have found after 12 seasons that by week 3 its a ghost town again and the leaderboards are plague with enough botting its pointless to attempt compete
If seasons didnt have the portrait and sometimes pet/wing exclusive i wouldnt even bother
Hoping that one day Blizzard will pay attention to the game and it's loyal players fix the deficiencies and maybe even make season's fun again.

Multiple useless or non-existent legendaries (three Leoric's crowns in a two consecutive game timeframe), terrible odds at Kadala and Miriam, having to force yourself to join parties instead of being able to play casually at times, not being able to trade excessive numbers of gems for other resources, boring behind the times dialogue from npc's, the bots and on and on. The drop rate was so bad last season and seems worse in just a couple of days I may just delete my season character and sit this one out.
i keep playing because i know that the best way to be good at this game is to keep playing. perseverance is key. it doesnt matter how many people are ahead of me on the leader board if they drop the game a month or a year from now. ill eventually pass them as long as i keep playing. it might take me 5 years but ill eventually have a 90% primal build with 5-6k paragon, probably in the top 50 of the leader board. all i have to do is be consistent.

aside from competing with other players. i just want all perfect stats on a character some day. once i get to the point where paragon is the only thing to improve on, then i might call it a day, with that toon at least, lol.
What keeps me playing is the reason to be at home, be a desk potato and ignoring the outside world. A reason to fail school and lose my job and friends because Paragons are worth much more. A reason to cancel my prom date cause I need to farm for Cosmic wings. A reason to gain 50 lbs and 2 layers of acne. Yes, I kill monsters in Diablo but I have become a monster in real life !
I got back into the game when I found out my wife also used to play, so its something we can do together. Right now our goal is to get all the stash tabs. This season's is the last one we need. Season 13 onwards I imagine we'll only stick around long enough to get the pet/wings unless they change things up.

Edit: the 2.6.1 patch gave me a reason to dust off all my old classes, gear them back up and take em out for a test drive again. That alone is going to hold my interest for a few months.
Hardcore keeps me playing atm.
11/12/2017 10:06 PMPosted by SevenShadow
What keeps me playing is the reason to be at home, be a desk potato and ignoring the outside world. A reason to fail school and lose my job and friends because Paragons are worth much more. A reason to cancel my prom date cause I need to farm for Cosmic wings. A reason to gain 50 lbs and 2 layers of acne. Yes, I kill monsters in Diablo but I have become a monster in real life !

QFT bro!
Loot hunt, trying new builds and making my character more powerful. This is also what is appealing about seasons for me.
11/12/2017 08:57 PMPosted by oldeguy
Hoping that one day Blizzard will pay attention to the game and it's loyal players fix the deficiencies and maybe even make season's fun again.

Multiple useless or non-existent legendaries (three Leoric's crowns in a two consecutive game timeframe), terrible odds at Kadala and Miriam, having to force yourself to join parties instead of being able to play casually at times, not being able to trade excessive numbers of gems for other resources, boring behind the times dialogue from npc's, the bots and on and on. The drop rate was so bad last season and seems worse in just a couple of days I may just delete my season character and sit this one out.

Completely missed the OP's question during your rant didn't you?
The only reason that I felt was a reason to play was playing with friends.

This.
Completely missed the OP's question during your rant didn't you?

Not in the least, I answered his question, You should have continued to the last sentence but oh well doesn't matter. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere than posting in Blizzard forums.
Habit , and love for the game .... What else ???
I enjoy the fresh start usually for a week or more. That and it being the lull in the current poe league.
I play for a week or 2 with my family and then ita a dead game aitting on my PC intil a new season starts lol