primal ancient rarity fix

Items and Crafting
Hello Diablo team!

I'd like to make a suggestion on how to solve the issue that primal ancients seldom drops. And if they do, they're seldom useful.

Maybe when salvaging a regular ancient legendary, we could get ancient "shards" or something. Then, with 10 or 50 (or some reasonable amount) of ancient shards we could cube any legendary item with the ancient shards to upgrade the legendary item to an ancient one (retaining same stats or changing them).

Likewise, when salvaging a primal ancient legendary, we could get primal shards or something. Then, with 5 or 10 (or some reasonable amount) of primal shards we could cube any ancient legendary item with the primal shards to upgrade the ancient legendary item to a primal one (retaining same stats or changing them).

What do you think? :)
Sounds way to easy and takes the specialness out of getting it.

I myself don't think there is an "issue" that needs to be "fixed".
Well if it were an issue then the obvious solution would be improving the drop rates? Which is exactly what we do not need in this game. It is already far too easy to gear. Finding a Primal Ancient is one of the rare moments in this game that get me genuinely excited, even if it turns out to be only modestly useful.
Loot grinding is a driving force for playing D3. It is one of the reasons Blizz gave for removing the AH. I doubt anything would be added to the game to make it easier (faster) to find primal ancient items. I agree it can be frustrating to finally get one to drop to only have it be useless, but again that is part of the loot slot machine design.
12/08/2017 12:31 PMPosted by NightCrawler

How does it take something away when he wanna adds something to it?

I think something needs to be done for primals, cause currently, it is not that great to get, unless you get an item for your class/with good rolls.

I got one today with no res on it. While it is a 4 percent upgrade from my ancient, it is not THAT great. A primary roll and secondary roll would be nice when you get a primal.
I find the drop rate is fine, Both my wife and I get Primal's in the same range, I play more so get more we tracked it on a excel spread sheet yes we are nerds :)
I based on the number of leg drops we found 1 would drop between 245-325 leg drops for both of use is was based over the last 10 we each got. I did get mine faster as i was running higher content than she does so got more legs per hour.

I do think they should be worth more than 15 when you crunch them. I was thinking maybe 50 souls a that is 1 reforge.
12/08/2017 12:44 PMPosted by Uchikinawa
Finding a Primal Ancient is one of the rare moments in this game that get me genuinely excited, even if it turns out to be only modestly useful.

I have a mule decked out with multiple useless Primals for shizzngiggles but man I was stoked when I got my Primal Yang bow on a reforge that was pretty much perfect.

Would be in favor of more souls for salvaging though.
They are supposed to be special ffs. I've had 28 drop this season, only about 5 of those useful. I'd say that's a fair rate. If they're that rare for you maybe you should play more efficiently.
I've seen 2, one was kind of useful. Other was blackthornes. Rare makes it more special. All other gear already drops like candy in the candy store, I don't even identify most of it, no point.

All for more forgotten souls when salvaging it, hell it's that rare, give us at least 100 souls for it.
There is no issue.
There is nothing to fix.

Stop asking for easy mode.
Ohh wait lets have an event that gives me a primal.
Or a recipe that gives a primal.
Or a measuring cup that once filled with 250ml of my tears gives me a primal.
12/08/2017 12:27 PMPosted by Feryx
Hello Diablo team!

I'd like to make a suggestion on how to solve the issue that primal ancients seldom drops. And if they do, they're seldom useful.

Maybe when salvaging a regular ancient legendary, we could get ancient "shards" or something. Then, with 10 or 50 (or some reasonable amount) of ancient shards we could cube any legendary item with the ancient shards to upgrade the legendary item to an ancient one (retaining same stats or changing them).

Likewise, when salvaging a primal ancient legendary, we could get primal shards or something. Then, with 5 or 10 (or some reasonable amount) of primal shards we could cube any ancient legendary item with the primal shards to upgrade the ancient legendary item to a primal one (retaining same stats or changing them).

What do you think? :)

The problem with your stance is that you're coming from the assumption that the rarity needs to be fixed. It doesn't - this is what the developers want it to be.

12/08/2017 12:44 PMPosted by JDog914
Loot grinding is a driving force for playing D3. It is one of the reasons Blizz gave for removing the AH. I doubt anything would be added to the game to make it easier (faster) to find primal ancient items. I agree it can be frustrating to finally get one to drop to only have it be useless, but again that is part of the loot slot machine design.

There's loot grinding and then there's just stupidity.

Primals are stupidity. For one thing, there's no reason to have anything be this rare. For another, they aren't fulfilling the objective Blizzard added them to the game for. They were supposed to be a reward for grinding, but they aren't. The way you reward someone for grinding is a tangible, actual reward. Not something that occurs at random and not something that could be no reward at all (because it's a garbage drop).

12/08/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Intenzity
They are supposed to be special ffs. I've had 28 drop this season, only about 5 of those useful. I'd say that's a fair rate. If they're that rare for you maybe you should play more efficiently.

lol.

I mean, congrats. But come on, 1700+ Paragons isn't anywhere near the average player.
Leave as is. Next thing you know, primals will just be the next ancient - no longer rare or exciting.

12/08/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Orrion
I mean, congrats. But come on, 1700+ Paragons isn't anywhere near the average player.

Agreed, that's sort of on the low side.

Primals are stupidity. For one thing, there's no reason to have anything be this rare.

I'm a causal player and I don't find them to be that rare. Getting trifecta gear when the game first launched.... now that was rare or even a decent leg drop. Now with 2.0 loot drop mechanics and the rain of legendaries, the only rare left in this game is the cosmic wings.
12/08/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Intenzity
only about 5 of those useful

Oh, boo hoo.
12/08/2017 03:58 PMPosted by Jitter
Or a measuring cup that once filled with 250ml of my tears gives me a primal.

Pure gold!

+1
12/08/2017 03:58 PMPosted by Jitter
There is no issue.
There is nothing to fix.

Oh really? So you get a primal that does not have secondary rolled res. Only 3 percent dmg upgrade and with sup par rolls on it.

Do tell me, if a yangs recurve bow drops. Does not come with disc on it, have dex and vit on it, while you have an ancient version with 12 disc and ad on it.

Yeah "nothing to fix", nice joke.
12/09/2017 07:15 AMPosted by FuturePhunk
Do tell me, if a yangs recurve bow drops. Does not come with disc on it, have dex and vit on it, while you have an ancient version with 12 disc and ad on it.

That happened to me and guess what. I know it's not perfect but I rerolled a secondary for discipline and moving on to wait for the next to drop.

Primals fills the void where legendaries and ancient legendaries use to fill. Since the drop rate for those are now so high, blizzard introduced primals as a way of extending the loot hunt by bringing back some loot that was actually rare. The combination of low drop rate and the fact you may not always get the rolls you want serves that purpose perfectly. So again, nothing to fix since it's serving its purpose. Making certain loot rare is much needed in a loot hunting game.

As stated:
"Primal Ancient Items
Developer Philosophy
Primal Ancients are for players who have largely completed gearing for their build and finished their Season Journey, but want to continue playing. They’re also for non-seasonal players who have great gear and spend most of their time gaining Paragon Levels and upgrading Legendary Gems. We want to extend the excitement of seeing gear drop or spending Blood Shards at Kadala past the point of getting Ancients in every slot. Primals provide an avenue for dedicated players to complete a build, without feeling like required upgrades."

Source: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20635663/patch-250-now-live-3-21-2017#items
The primal drop rate is fine. Their usefulness is another matter. My worst primal drop in terms of type is a scroundel token that gives access to all skills. My most frustrating primal drop is a Sunwuko ammy that is worse than my ancient, and there is nothing I can do to make it better.

I believe primals should be better than ancients. If not on the intial drop, then there should be a mechanism to make them better than an ancient — primal rerolling at a higher cost is one method. There will always be some primals that no matter how many times you reroll will be useless. My crushbane comes to mind. Maybe a reroll method would be something like: one “designated” primal plus 100 death breath plus 1 billion gold will reroll the desired primal into a new primal of the same type, or some variation of a cube recipie.
Posted by NightCrawler

How does it take something away when he wanna adds something to it?

If you took the time to think about it, he tells you exactly what it's taking away - specialness. That specialness is directly related to the rarity of finding a useful primal. So if you make it so that it's easier to obtain a good primal, you're taking away that specialness of rarity.
12/09/2017 07:41 AMPosted by MerLock
So again, nothing to fix since it's serving its purpose. Making certain loot rare is much needed in a loot hunting game.

According to you maybe. But to many others, when they in fact and that is a big WHEN, they find a primal that can be used, it often comes with worse rolls than your ancient piece. And that should not be the case. The luck and rng you need to find primals are fine, but when you do, it's either troll items or no good compared to what you got already.
12/09/2017 07:41 AMPosted by MerLock
Primals fills the void where legendaries and ancient legendaries use to fill. Since the drop rate for those are now so high, blizzard introduced primals as a way of extending the loot hunt by bringing back some loot that was actually rare. The combination of low drop rate and the fact you may not always get the rolls you want serves that purpose perfectly. So again, nothing to fix since it's serving its purpose. Making certain loot rare is much needed in a loot hunting game.

Sorry but you're off the mark. The reason why early D3 vanilla was !@#$ was because the rarest loot in the would more often than not roll complete garbage. It doesn't make sense at all. Loot being rare doesnt automagically make it a good thing, it needs to match that rarity with power or else it will only lead to frustration.

That's why primals are a joke, because they can roll complete %^-* despite being so rare. Then there's also the fact that they're not even that much stronger than well rolled ancients to begin with so.. yeah. Half assed attempt at prolonging the loothunt, as per usual.