Re-igniting PVP

Brawling
Diablo 3 doesn't need anything crazy to make PVP fun. All you need is 8 player games and a larger PVP zone. Diablo PVP was never balanced in Diablo history so it wouldn't even be an issue. I doubt this would be considered but I have to at least make my peace.

It was always a one shot fest but players want to have a reason to grind and test their random builds. I know it might start a cry fest for balance but at least more people would come back. Most if not all of the people I have asked said they would come back for this style of pvp. That's all D2 was about and people played it for years even to this day. If only D2 and D3 was combined into one game.

Either way D3 is still a great game but lacks in this regard. I'm still happy for what it is now but it could be great. It might be an impossible request but its worth it. If you read all of this thanks in advance.
It doesn´t work. It wouldn´t be any fun. And your friends would come back to check it out, get oneshot a hundred times within the first 5 minutes and then never do PvP again. If you look only at PvP, there is a huge disparity in the balance of hero damage vs hero toughness. This is fine for PvE, where mobs have 1000+ times the toughness of players, but only a fraction of their damage. But for PvP this is impracticable. And this issue actively works against your supposition, that players would "have a reason to grind for [it]".
Let me give an example:
take a current PvE WoL monk. That build can randomly crit for more than a trillion damage. Let´s say the monk crits for 1t. and your defenses are decently stacked. Assume you have 95% dr from armor and res and four different 50% dr multis:
1t * 0.05 * 0.05 * 0.5 * 0.5 * 0.5 *0.5 = 156.250.000 damage
Thats the amount of hp you need: 156.25 million. In other words: impossibly high.

Yes, you could reduce this further, have more dr, you can have dodge, block, cheat death and so on. The thing is: the monk can deal this damage nearly 2 times per second. And that´s just a simple PvE build. It is nearly impossible to mitigate the damage of player characters enough to survive more than 2 or 3 hits.
And that means everyone goes glascannon, stack the highest damage possible and hope you have less lag than your opponent(s), so you can use your abilities faster than they can. That sounds a lot like gearing for PvE to me. There is no difference between gearing for PvE and PvP in D3. So there is no metagame of
farming specific gear for PvP like it was in D2. If you think it is only the number of potential opponents and the size of the area you are severly mistaken.

To have a reasonable PvP experience you need massive changes in the gamemechanics for PvP. Stuff like a flat 99.9% dr for all players, half effectiveness of offensive legendary item and set abilities, reduction of legendary gem effectiveness or even disabling them in PvP, no pets, no followers, no ultimates (Berserker, Vengeance, Epiphany and so on), 90% CC reduction for all players, reduced DoT effectiveness, 90% reduced AoE and range (otherwise melee is impossible) and so on. This on the other hand would severly limit the number of possible builds. Many builds work on the premise of stacking offensive multipliers and maintaining a constant state of buffs. All of that would be impossible

Also, your points on D2 PvP are wrong in so many different ways. It was NOT a oneshot fest. You could reasonably mitigate player damage, because the scaling wasn´t so massive. Block was a 100% damage mitigation. You could stack resistance without diminishing returns. Damage was extremely low compared to player defenses. AoE was much less effective than single target abilities. Rare and magic items had different rolls than uniques/runewords, which meant that sometimes blues and yellows were the gear of choice...

With the current mechanics of D3 PvP just does not work. The problem is scaling. Sorry.
Everybody already stated how that could be solved. I will repeat:

PvP issues. Create a second text for each passive skill for PvP effect, create a second text equipment gradually on itens just for PvP effect (so if you update or buff item +1000% damage it won't affect PvP text, then PvE main effect won't unbalance PvP text), create GR gems with exclusive effects for PvP (that would be nice so we would have more things to do at game and more gems to level, and more motives to do more GR and we would have some fun), create a second text for every skill and rune just for PvP effect. (Or if it is to fit better just hold shift or something to show PvP text from each stuff).

That is so easy. But i would cut my hand out if one CM would give this info for a DEV, always this kind of info dies here. Because of two reasons.

1 - They think PvP is unworkable. They have this closed mind and they don't want to open it.

2 - They think PvP Community is so low so does not worth to give some attention to this feature.
PVP its cool, and its fun if there are bounds
if someone want play pvp tell me
there is some "rules" i use for pvp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGrf-cl8jE&t=230s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6g9Lokr90&t=186s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpSLE_BQm0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arousejvf8U&t=188s
if they add PvP only legendaries like WoW then it might work because with how powerful the items we got atm it'll never work the PvP only legendaries can drop in normal PvE (i guess) but i can see how this would dilute an already diluted legendary pool of the ones we'd use. i assume that about 90% of all legendaries don't see that much, (if any) play. also for the PvE items to be in the game we'd need more stash space, unless theres a place only for PvP say a PvE stash and a PvP stash? that could work but now im rambling blah cant even remember what my point was XD
They would have to make players have a debuff like -90% damage done so people aren't getting one shot.. even then it just wouldn't work.
PvP can be played with rares only.
here is a fun a simple idea for PvP. Nothing to do with paragon gear or class, simply - Banner Impale! You drop your banner and if it goes through their body, they are impaled. Banner drop has a refresh, so you will have to run around and avoid while you wait to rebanner. If they banner doesn't hit them square, they could have naimations for pinning chars down by a leg or arm, till the second impale comes and finishes them,

Made a video about it couple years back, heres some commentary about the idea: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=cux3ol0QDp0

Banner impale PvP, fun, simple, everyone on the same playing field. Maybe if you get a perfect impale on a char, a legendary drops or something, I don't know but the more I think about it the cooler it sounds.
11/26/2017 03:35 AMPosted by Thanatos
if they add PvP only legendaries like WoW then it might work because with how powerful the items we got atm it'll never work the PvP only legendaries can drop in normal PvE (i guess) but i can see how this would dilute an already diluted legendary pool of the ones we'd use. i assume that about 90% of all legendaries don't see that much, (if any) play. also for the PvE items to be in the game we'd need more stash space, unless theres a place only for PvP say a PvE stash and a PvP stash? that could work but now im rambling blah cant even remember what my point was XD

Like i said they just need to create a second text for each item, a pvp text. So we have the same itens for with pve standard working and for pve effect. Or just create other and create a new place to drop them. It would be fun too play different ways.
I dreamed i was pvping clan vs clan. Nice dream.
Totally agree with OP, I've acutally just picked up the game recently and was shocked that world pvp is disabled. My char is about lvl 50 now, and whenever I try to join a public game, it fails to do so and just creates my own game, where I have yet to even see another human being. Needless to say, it seems like a ghost town aside from me seeing a few occasional global chats from someone that seem to go unanswered.

I've posted these ideas but i get downvoted/shut down lol. I guess most people that care have long left.. either silently or voiced their opinion first before moving on :(

I 100% agree, that for me personally, the absence of world pvp (can't even fight in front of towns!) removes any long term (and even short term) motivation to gear out my character. As engaging and well made the game is, I get constantly reminded of it while playing.. "you're never going to be able to use this, except for more grinding against the AI."

I just found this as an example of what i miss lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCQE60ogsw
Honestly I agree, I enjoyed D2 more than I've enjoyed any other game. I really really really liked the MF grinding, you could find stuff not many peoole had, but I did all that ultimately for PvP, I loved D2 PvP. Yes, gear could make you a god where as in D3 not so much... but even then you had to aim, you had to dodge and position yourself because with GM PvP its pretty close to one shotting.

I agree, bigger map like D2 and 8 people 4 is half the fun.
I think this can be easily solved creating a second equipment tab like most of new cell phone games... we need pvp back.. the game have become repetitive and the season its always the same... we need trade back too... blizzard please hear the people who has bought the game expectating much more ! sorry for my bad english.