Why is nothing happening to bots?

General Discussion
11/28/2017 10:05 AMPosted by TheRugester
11/28/2017 10:01 AMPosted by HelloKitty
It is possible that Blizzard is simply unable to detect bots and map hacks. Each time there is a ban wave, bot-makers manage to adapt. And, to my knowledge, there has never been a ban aimed at players who use map hacks.

Also, I am almost positive that the Diablo team has little to say about if and when ban waves are implemented. I mean, nothing would suck more for a Developer than to put together a highly-praised patch and implement a new Season, only to have the forums flooded with complaints about rampant cheating.

There has been rampant cheating basically since D3 came out. LOL

Yep. Ask Blizzard how many of this games sales were to real people and how many were to professional gold farming operations that used thousands of accounts each and were replaced almost weekly as the ban waves came for an entire year after launch.
11/28/2017 11:53 AMPosted by Sokon
11/28/2017 10:01 AMPosted by HelloKitty
It is possible that Blizzard is simply unable to detect bots and map hacks. Each time there is a ban wave, bot-makers manage to adapt. And, to my knowledge, there has never been a ban aimed at players who use map hacks.

Also, I am almost positive that the Diablo team has little to say about if and when ban waves are implemented. I mean, nothing would suck more for a Developer than to put together a highly-praised patch and implement a new Season, only to have the forums flooded with complaints about rampant cheating.

There's a good chance that the coders/developers and blizzard HR have a completely different stance on what some of the playerbase calls cheats and others call tools.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact there are more botters out there now then legit players. If blizzard banned all of them which I wish they would do, they would lose most of the games player base which in turn would look really really bad for the company. It could affect everything from blizzards stock to the janitor losing their job. Blizzard is a company that looks at numbers over what is needed.
^
What "fact" are your pulling this from? Its just pure speculation and assumptions on your part.

If botters ever did exceed legit players, I would just drop the game and so would many others that play legit.

But I do agree that more needs to be done about policing the game and there should be transparency from the Community Managers. It does no harm to report that a ban wave was done after it was actually conducted. It shows that something was actually done and forms as warning/deterrent for anyone who plan to bot.
11/28/2017 06:00 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
^
What "fact" are your pulling this from? Its just pure speculation and assumptions on your part.

If botters ever did exceed legit players, I would just drop the game and so would many others that play legit.

But I do agree that more needs to be done about policing the game and there should be transparency from the Community Managers. It does no harm to report that a ban wave was done after it was actually conducted. It shows that something was actually done and forms as warning/deterrent for anyone who plan to bot.

True to an extent its speculation. But go look at the leader boards on both season and non season. Go to diabloprogress.com and look at he paragon leader boards. Look how high people are. Heck half of this forum almost has admitted to botting or defends it like crazy while the other half is against it. Heck there a ton of people that have admitted to botting, I look at there account and see how high it is, then has been reported by me, yet they go untouched and allowed to play.
I always wonder... Do peoples honestly believe that the majority of players bots?

What's funny to me is how every season the top players get accused of botting.

Doesn't even matters if they do or not, they are guilty before proven innocent.

I'm happy to be a lowly Paragons otherwise if I were 2000+ I would definitely get called a botter...

Yet I barely even play 100 hours per season and almost always reach close to 1000 Paragons.

I'm sure if I played all a season I would reach 2000+ and be called a botters which is why I don't even bother playing this game more then 2 weeks per seasons.

D3 as one of the worst community I have ever seen, peoples call each others cheaters/botters/exploiters left and right without ANY tangible proof. And in-game time is NOT a tangible proof. I see peoples disappearing from leaderboard every seasons but peoples will still complain because the top players don't get banned.

Solutions in the mind of weakling is to just ban all those above them because obviously if they are above you it's because they are cheaters/botters, not because they play more efficiently then you do.
11/28/2017 07:56 PMPosted by kouhei
I always wonder... Do peoples honestly believe that the majority of players bots?

What's funny to me is how every season the top players get accused of botting.

Doesn't even matters if they do or not, they are guilty before proven innocent.

I'm happy to be a lowly Paragons otherwise if I were 2000+ I would definitely get called a botter...

Yet I barely even play 100 hours per season and almost always reach close to 1000 Paragons.

I'm sure if I played all a season I would reach 2000+ and be called a botters which is why I don't even bother playing this game more then 2 weeks per seasons.

D3 as one of the worst community I have ever seen, peoples call each others cheaters/botters/exploiters left and right without ANY tangible proof. And in-game time is NOT a tangible proof. I see peoples disappearing from leaderboard every seasons but peoples will still complain because the top players don't get banned.

Solutions in the mind of weakling is to just ban all those above them because obviously if they are above you it's because they are cheaters/botters, not because they play more efficiently then you do.

Ummm want some proof? Go look at the barb on NA season. He is well above paragon 2000 and even streams botting. And he hit 2000 some time about a week and a half ago. At that point his barb had been playing since launch of this season minus a couple hours. You can go look at his hours played as well.

I wouldnt call you a botter if you were paragon 2000 or around there at the end of the season. Its the fact this season just started and this guy last i checked was like 2300.
Not sure what the solution is in giving benefit to the doubt when pursuing botters.

If there is an automatic way to track time played in the system and then put up a caution flag on unusual amounts of time accrued in a short span. People do in fact legitimately put in marathon sessions from time to time, but not for days/weeks in a row.

They could add a report function that allows a player to report the sort of activity that players have been reporting in the forums and then compare that to their flagged accounts and investigate the matter.

The end problem that I see is the same problem with the issue of gun control. Were you to stop all the sales now, it would do nothing to stop the guns already out there. In this case, those who have benefited for so long by botting in the game. If they are not banned, and wiped, well, it's a long way to the top just to catch up to them. Seasons would be corrected, but NS would remain the same.

I feel that any solution to catch the current botters would be great, but would have little effect on the damage already done.

What *could* perhaps work would be to (wishfully) stop the bots, remove those players that they can catch. Then add another system to the game similar to paragon. A new set of character defining stats that are earned in some grind way, as paragon, that would allow characters further definition and advantages as they grow. Something to the effect of Paragon adding pretty much generic stats and class points benefiting specifics of a class, non transferable to another class. That would mean that class points earned on a Wizard would only work with a Wizard. You could make a new Wizard and gain that benefit, but not a Monk that gains the class points of the Wizard.

Such a system would add some new life to the game while giving honest players a chance to catch up. Simply put, let Paragon be like getting Legendary gear and class definition be akin to getting Ancient gear with gems affixed. While one is a good start, the other is really the end goal for performance.

Any working solution has to address the now, the past and the future if the mess is ever to be cleared up.

Just my simple opinion, I could be wrong.
11/28/2017 09:18 PMPosted by Griff
Not sure what the solution is in giving benefit to the doubt when pursuing botters.

If there is an automatic way to track time played in the system and then put up a caution flag on unusual amounts of time accrued in a short span. People do in fact legitimately put in marathon sessions from time to time, but not for days/weeks in a row.

They could add a report function that allows a player to report the sort of activity that players have been reporting in the forums and then compare that to their flagged accounts and investigate the matter.

The end problem that I see is the same problem with the issue of gun control. Were you to stop all the sales now, it would do nothing to stop the guns already out there. In this case, those who have benefited for so long by botting in the game. If they are not banned, and wiped, well, it's a long way to the top just to catch up to them. Seasons would be corrected, but NS would remain the same.

I feel that any solution to catch the current botters would be great, but would have little effect on the damage already done.

What *could* perhaps work would be to (wishfully) stop the bots, remove those players that they can catch. Then add another system to the game similar to paragon. A new set of character defining stats that are earned in some grind way, as paragon, that would allow characters further definition and advantages as they grow. Something to the effect of Paragon adding pretty much generic stats and class points benefiting specifics of a class, non transferable to another class. That would mean that class points earned on a Wizard would only work with a Wizard. You could make a new Wizard and gain that benefit, but not a Monk that gains the class points of the Wizard.

Such a system would add some new life to the game while giving honest players a chance to catch up. Simply put, let Paragon be like getting Legendary gear and class definition be akin to getting Ancient gear with gems affixed. While one is a good start, the other is really the end goal for performance.

Any working solution has to address the now, the past and the future if the mess is ever to be cleared up.

Just my simple opinion, I could be wrong.

What I think would be the best solution or at least a temporary solution would be to just remove main stat from paragon and replace it with something else. Would it stop botting? No, but would at least give other people the chance to get higher on the lead boards.
11/28/2017 11:11 PMPosted by TheRugester
What I think would be the best solution or at least a temporary solution would be to just remove main stat from paragon and replace it with something else. Would it stop botting? No, but would at least give other people the chance to get higher on the lead boards.

Main stat and vitality need to go so that there isn't an infinite source of power you can abuse heavily with botting.
Now, now. You're not saying a P6166 is a bot, are you? Fake news.

Since, and I feel I need to point this out every time this is brought up, Blizzard allows you to share the account with one other person, they can't ban accounts on played time alone. It's impossible.
11/28/2017 12:50 PMPosted by Griff
Really, you know that for a fact?

Ever heard of the word "sarcastic"?

How about you learn it before you reply again.
Leaderboards...the biggest mistake they could have made. Give the game the appearance of competition.
11/29/2017 03:56 AMPosted by Vresiberba

Since, and I feel I need to point this out every time this is brought up, Blizzard allows you to share the account with one other person, they can't ban accounts on played time alone. It's impossible.

They allow you to share the account with a minor as long as you are the guardian.

"Subject to the laws of your country of residence, minor children may utilize an Account established by their parent or legal guardian. In the event that you permit your minor child or legal ward (collectively, your “Child”) to use an Account on the Platform, you hereby agree to this Agreement on behalf of yourself and your Child, and you understand and agree that you will be responsible for all uses of the Account by your Child whether or not such uses were authorized by you."

That is from BLIZZARD END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT. I highly doubt most of the people are not forcing their kids to play. You can share the account with your kid if you want, not just some random other person your friends with.
11/29/2017 10:05 AMPosted by TheRugester
I highly doubt most of the people are not forcing their kids to play.

I do too, but my point was, obviously, that you can't very well ban for account sharing if account sharing is allowed.

They allow you to share the account with a minor as long as you are the guardian.

"Subject to the laws of your country of residence, minor children may utilize an Account established by their parent or legal guardian. In the event that you permit your minor child or legal ward (collectively, your “Child”) to use an Account on the Platform, you hereby agree to this Agreement on behalf of yourself and your Child, and you understand and agree that you will be responsible for all uses of the Account by your Child whether or not such uses were authorized by you."

That is from BLIZZARD END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT. I highly doubt most of the people are not forcing their kids to play. You can share the account with your kid if you want, not just some random other person your friends with.

Blizzard doesn't know how many minor kids I got. Maybe I have 3 and they rotate shifts of 5 hours each and I give them pocket cash for that. Maybe. Maybe not. Blizz needs proof, and until they actually hide in my man cave and see my 50yo brother Chris logging in on my account from my computer with their own eyes, they can't ban me for account sharing.
11/29/2017 10:33 AMPosted by Evenstar

Blizzard doesn't know how many minor kids I got. Maybe I have 3 and they rotate shifts of 5 hours each and I give them pocket cash for that. Maybe. Maybe not. Blizz needs proof, and until they actually hide in my man cave and see my 50yo brother Chris logging in on my account from my computer with their own eyes, they can't ban me for account sharing.

Im sorry but im laughing. This was funny.
they can't ban accounts

Wrong.
11/28/2017 07:54 AMPosted by TreAx
we are all competing on the leaderboards

Very, very few of us are genuinely 'competing' on the leaderboards. Lots of us are pretending that we would be "if only Blizz would do something about the botters".

What difference does it make to you if a paragon 5600 player clears a GR138? Whether it was legit or not? Would your GR137 clear be in the top spot if this player was banned? The only thing that is relevant in this game is what level GR you can clear, how fast you can do it, and how much you can improve on it by grinding more paragons and lucking into Ancient Primal gear. What other players do, or don't do, or can't do, make absolutely no difference to what you can do.

11/29/2017 06:07 AMPosted by Shanso
Leaderboards...the biggest mistake they could have made. Give the game the appearance of competition.

Amen. Get rid of them and you remove the main reason for botting and the main reason for QQ'ing about botting.
2950 para already, cmon guys, cmon :D U can freebot to R1, its completely fine to do that cuz its normal to play 23h/day for a 20 days in a row ... :D