Blue Gear Only?

Brawling
Was this/Is this a thing? I know that if you wanted to brawl nowadays it becomes who lands a hit first, because legendary items that we get are so insanely over tuned for PvP that it is literally a joke to even attempt PvPing.
That said I wonder what would happen if everyone limited themselves to only using blue gear as an attempt to try to keep the numbers low enough to a somewhat enjoyable experience.

Has anyone tried this? If so was it any good or were the numbers still just simply too high.

And what about using low level crafted gear. For example only allowing each player to use crafted gear of level 40 or lower of any rarity.
Again has anyone tried this?
It has been tried but the main drawbacks to using blue gear:

• (1) requires effort to obtain/craft/store a complete setup with the affixes you want
  • (2) limits builds to only a couple skills worth using (greatly hampers metagame)
  • (3) limits damage more than toughness (possible to make zdps stalemate builds)
  • (4) paragon and cube abilities can still be active (honor based system required)

• I think points 2 and 3 are the most significant as to why this wouldn't work in the long run.
    Balancing this type of system is going to be nearly impossible due to the knife's edge between “damage trumps healing” and “healing trumps damage”. Either you allow people to be unkillable, or you allow people to die instantly.

This is because even without legendary effects, diablo's stat system has such a combination of absurdly high numbers (e.g. crit damage) and/or exponential scaling (e.g. CDR, dodge%, inter-stat synergy) that trying to fine-tune an in-between would require careful supervision of every single stat in the game.

Even assuming you balance this, there are issues such as overblown CC effects, overblown immunity effects and overblown mobility effects. If you want to turn Diablo into an effective PvP game, you would need to tone down all effects and stats into “PvP-like” ranges. For inspiration, see other successful PvP games. Compare, for example, the value ranges of stats (crit chance, attack speed), power and cooldown of mobility/immunity effects, and ability range distribution with a game like Heroes of the Storm to find a pretty striking difference.
    11/21/2017 05:44 AMPosted by Iria

• (1) requires effort to obtain/craft/store a complete setup with the affixes you want
  • (2) limits builds to only a couple skills worth using (greatly hampers metagame)
  • (3) limits damage more than toughness (possible to make zdps stalemate builds)
  • (4) paragon and cube abilities can still be active (honor based system required)

• (1) That's kind of the point though, this would be the case regardless of how you ended up balancing PvP gear unless you had it so PvP wasn't gear based at all and every did a flat amount of damage, which Blizzard will never actually do.

(2) I don't really see this as a terrible thing as long as there are more than 2-3 options per class. IDK though since I haven't tested it myself.

(3) Fair enough, though honestly that's something I would be interested in seeing with blue gear only.

(4)For paragon points you are correct that would be entirely based on the Honor System but with Cubed items you can actually see which items other players have active in their cube when you inspect them. The only time this isn't true is when the servers don't update their build so they could go in with blue gear and no cubed items then swap their cubed items but theres nothing stopping them from doing that with their gear anyways so it would end up being entirely honor based anyways.
    The only time this isn't true is when the servers don't update their build

Don't you get more or less instant updates when inspecting players in your group? You can even see them rerolling in realtime.
    11/22/2017 10:53 AMPosted by nand
    The only time this isn't true is when the servers don't update their build

Don't you get more or less instant updates when inspecting players in your group? You can even see them rerolling in realtime.

Not always, in my experience.
    look i played with only yellow items and was so fun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGrf-cl8jE

hey last if we can fin 2 more ppl we can do the same things, only yellow items, no lgenedary powers multiplicators in cube, no paragons, only marquise gems and the best items u can craft in the blacksmith (only rare)
    I would really like to try something similar with a only legendary geared (no sets) Barb vs Barb style play. I haven't been able to test it yet because I have no one to try with, but I think with stacking enough toughness no set barb vs barb would work.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ham-1685/hero/63374642 Kind of like Whirl wind BvB from D2
    01/12/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Ham
    I would really like to try something similar with a only legendary geared (no sets) Barb vs Barb style play. I haven't been able to test it yet because I have no one to try with, but I think with stacking enough toughness no set barb vs barb would work.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ham-1685/hero/63374642 Kind of like Whirl wind BvB from D2

legendaries are unviable to pvp... they just are too strong...
    i just finished some testing with a friend for pvp options or alternative,

the set up :
    -forge all equipment at the black smith (forged 6 attribute vs droped 3-4)
    -have regular gems equipped , ( not legendary)
    -remove paragon points
    -set all cube items to something neutral or your choice ( i had, sever, broken crown, kymbo)

we tried different matchups with wiz, dh, dw, barb , and was actually fun to do.
    we found to counter cc heavy classes like the wd , cc resist was quite good to prevent constant stunlocks, overall we actually had a good amount of fun.