Season Journey changes for season 13

General Discussion
Can there please be some changes made to season journey for season 13? With buffs to sets one change that could be made to make this game more interesting is improving season journeys.

How? Well there are a few ways.

New Conquests/season objectives: Come up with new conquests and season objectives. Conquests are recycled each season and after you play 2 seasons you have seen all of them. Its really boring and makes doing conquests insanely easy. Same with the season objectives.

New Season rewards Rewards have been the same basically each season with the exception in season 12 of no pet reward but instead some wings. This is a huge area Blizz could explore to make seasons more exciting. Also increasing the number of stash tabs you can unlock during seasons or providing new rewards that are equivalently as great. Right now if you play 4 seasons you will be maxed on stash tabs, which honestly is one of the largest motivations for even doing the season journey. You could increase this unlockable number or provide us new awesome rewards. Plus there is no reason you can't increase the number of portraits or pets or transmogs players could unlock during seasons.

Journey length With new objectives and rewards this would provide an opportunity to increase the length of the season journey. Its nice when you have some down time to look for some challenges, only realizing shortly into season you already have the entire journey completed.

Make current objectives more difficult With buffs to sets season 12 conquest/objectives were easier than ever. I usually take at least over a week to reach guardian but this season I was guardian by end of day 4. And obviously other players reached it much quicker than me. Hell I even did 4 conquests this season... pretty much unintentionally lol. Just realized on like day 10 that I had a bunch of characters with their basic 6 piece sets and with buffs to the sets there was no reason I couldn't do a quick GR 55 with those chars and my basic gear. Think I am like #98 to complete that conquest on HC in NA and I only did it out of boredom I had already reached guardian a few days earlier.

Since season 12 brought so many buffs I can't imagine you have much in store for us in season 13. My assumption would be maybe like bringing us torment 14 & 15 difficulties, which honestly really? There already so many damn difficulty levels but.... I guess if we can always get at least 3 DBs and GR keys from T14+ then I am ok with it. Keep in mind these difficulties won't make the game any more difficult... will just increase our ability to farm para/bounties/dbs/tokens quicker.

I would rather see some new awesome rewards players could unlock by participating in seasons. Hell maybe its time to unleash leader boards rewards.... I know this will piss players off with all the cheaters out there not being punished but... it would give us something else to shoot for I guess lol. Hell.. maybe it would bring more players to HC mode since boards less competitive (at least at lower levels) lol.
I wouldn't mind some changes to seasons...

...like removing set dungeon requirements for the folks that don't like them.

But lengthening the journey or making it more difficult is unnecessary. Honestly, for lots of players this is the first season they've completed Guardian.

Lets have a few seasons where everyone gets through Guardian, before we talk about making more difficult just because you want to be elitist.
OMG yes, but Blizz is hearing: Please add things like "Complete 1000 bounties as a conquest"

simply asking them to change it can really come back to haunt us.
Some of the objectives could be changed, GR80 instead of 70, gems to 75 etc. Make Years fo War mandatory, maybe make the entire conquest mandatory at T13. Certainly too easy now if you play groups.
11/29/2017 02:22 PMPosted by Scourge
Some of the objectives could be changed, GR80 instead of 70, gems to 75 etc. Make Years fo War mandatory, maybe make the entire conquest mandatory at T13. Certainly too easy now if you play groups.

Yea I am quite surprised that the Boss Mode and Curses are not T13 requirement yet... considering we've had T13 for like over a year now :D
Can there please be some changes made to season journey for season 13? With buffs to sets one change that could be made to make this game more interesting is improving season journeys.
What are you trying to say?? Or did you forget a comma?
11/29/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Idolis

But lengthening the journey or making it more difficult is unnecessary. Honestly, for lots of players this is the first season they've completed Guardian.

Lets have a few seasons where everyone gets through Guardian, before we talk about making more difficult just because you want to be elitist.

Wtf?

And so where is the interest to be Guardian in itself if everyone do it?
chapter godlike:

1. t13 rift under 1 minute

2. beat 1000 cursed events

3. accquire the cosmic wings

4. master all set dungeons

5. level 100 augment on all your items

reward: a pet looking like a cookie
you guys really want to make it more difficult?
i would want to get rid of the annoying stuff instead. set dungeon mastery is super annoying on some sets. conquests can be really bad too.
fishing three hours just to get a rare bounty? really? how is that fun?
the one roadblock i'd definitely want to get rid of is domination!. t13 rift in 4 min is just luck of the draw plus playing the right set.
A lot of good ideas but alas most would just cater to the Botter's
not the average players.
11/30/2017 12:24 PMPosted by iYosh
you guys really want to make it more difficult?
i would want to get rid of the annoying stuff instead. set dungeon mastery is super annoying on some sets. conquests can be really bad too.
fishing three hours just to get a rare bounty? really? how is that fun?
the one roadblock i'd definitely want to get rid of is domination!. t13 rift in 4 min is just luck of the draw plus playing the right set.

In other words, you want to put in the Season journey only the things you are already always doing by playing normally to push your GR record.

So... Why even call it a "Journey" after that?
11/29/2017 11:53 PMPosted by Darkduprey

Wtf?

And so where is the interest to be Guardian in itself if everyone do it?

And we got out first elitist.

11/30/2017 02:49 PMPosted by Darkduprey
In other words, you want to put in the Season journey only the things you are already always doing by playing normally to push your GR record.

So... Why even call it a "Journey" after that?

And we got our first post indicating they have no idea what the seasonal journey is.

Spoiler: 99% of the Journey is exactly "things you are already always doing by playing normally".

Killing bosses? We do that already.
Complete rifts? We do that already.
Level gems? We do that already.

The only thing that makes the Seasonal Journey "special" is what the stated number the goal requires. Killing the Skeleton King in Torment 12 isn't special. Completing a GR 50 solo isn't special. Killing the Keywardens at Torment 4 isn't special. Doing 5 bounties isn't special.

Seasonal Journey is just a giant Mad Lib game.
You pick a target, you pick a difficulty number, you pick a quantity, done. Move on.

The only "Journey" in Seasonal Journey is checking off the boxes to your scavenger hunt. It's like doing nonsensical achievements in the game. "Kill 1000 enemies while X buff is up" Congrats, Achievement! You were going to get it eventually anyway, but they made a special UI box that tells you how close you are to doing it, this arbitrary number for your mundane feat.

Check off the box when you get it, and feel special.

I could care less if they asked you to do a GR 20, then a 40, then a 50, then a 70. You think any of that is a "Journey" ? We're not talking over a span of months here. Raising the difficulty doesn't change that aspect either, it's just raising the number bar higher; cutting of at a different point where people will fail to get it or stop trying. It doesn't actually make the people who earn it proud ( if it does, jeeze, try a real goal ).

Some people seem to be conflating the idea of the seasonal journey as some sort of right of passage, or leaderboard placement. It's a scavenger hunt, made for people to have fun, not to drudge through like a full time job or a hike up Mount Everest.

And I thought Bingo ladies took the game too seriously.
Some people get way too into things, like it's a life or death competition.

Competitive Pictionary must be the most diehard Esport ever. Imagine all the people yelling at their partner for not drawing the dog correctly. APM levels to rival any Starcraft player.

Yeah definitely agree with you, out of all my friends that play this I'm the one that regularly finishes the season whereas they don't even get past champion/destroyer often. If they are representative of the average player then I think that the difficulty is high enough.
11/30/2017 03:41 PMPosted by ǶPHILIP

Yeah definitely agree with you, out of all my friends that play this I'm the one that regularly finishes the season whereas they don't even get past champion/destroyer often. If they are representative of the average player then I think that the difficulty is high enough.

Agreed.

Just taking this season as an example, because it's still relatively "fresh" and because it's being used as the reason why people want the requirements raised from the item buffs:

I only know a few people in my clan / friends list that have played enough to have even completed destroyer. Id say 90% of my clan, in particular, stopped playing a week into the season, barely scratching past Para 200 / 300 before they disappeared.

These aren't people that spend 4+ hours a day on the game, and they're already spent, or have had life intervene once again.

The "power creep" of this patch has done nothing to their play time, nor has it made everyone instant guardian.

Some people, in particular ( myself included ), have more than enough time / ability to complete conqueror / guardian ..but just don't. Often you'll get stuck on one of the conquests ( especially if it's a rotation you can't stand / can't do ) , or one of the last journey requirements like timed rifts ...and just can't be arsed to power through to do it.

I've literally stopped playing with 1 requirement left before completing conqueror / guardian several seasons; like this one, where I just can't be bothered to grind out the last few levels of my gems.

Gems.

I've already burned out of the season a couple weeks into it, due mostly to outrageous RNG on finding my first version of supporting legendaries ( like my gavel for Hota Barb ), going through dozens / a hundred cube attempts before basically rage quitting the build and trying to do something else more constructive / a different class for a while.

I kid not, the stupidest thing burning me out on the game, is trying to find my "very first" of something for the season. Not a good rolled one, not an ancient one, not even on a different class / mode so I can't even use it ( I hate you Istvans.... ). I've had this happen to me 3 separate seasons prior ..and I'm just even less tolerant now of it. I can imagine other people getting fed up as well and moving on to something else.

It's all fine and dandy on your first character, getting that free set, and then you get no supports for it. Don't even get me started on any additional character you make and spending several days just trying to get a single set complete, drudging through T4 like a dummy trying to work your way up in a difficulty bracket that is holding you back from doing just that. Then you finally find something ...and you're now a T8 dummy with zero set bonus on, farming for hours.

If there was a single outlying memory of Season 12 that I'll keep with me for a long time, it's playing on T8 endlessly with no set pieces equipped. On four characters. I put almost 30 hours on my Crusader this season before I completed my first set. Fn unreal. Then I went from T8 to GR 70 in the next few.

---------------------------

I have a real firm understanding of the two very different viewpoints of progression in this game after that.

There is one side of the spectrum, who play 1-2 characters per season, who get their free set, get lucky with their supporting legendaries in the next couple hours, and they're pounding out paragon like it's nobody's business. Of course they think the game is too easy; I don't see how they wouldn't.

Then there's the other side, who either get their free set, or don't get one, and they're earning their way old school, From T1 and up. These are the people that are spending 4+ days before they even see T6. They're not even on the radar of unlocking primals anytime soon, or ever. Lady Luck is not kind to them, their only focus is to just get something to form a build, period.

To them, the game is either running like normal, or at such a slow pace that they won't get anything done before the season is over; there's just only so many hours to play each week and they're not progressing fast enough to see drastic change happen hourly or daily like the better / luckier players. How could they ever see the game as easy?

Neither side is inherently wrong in their perception / experience of the game, they're just a product of their circumstances / environment. They're mislead because the game itself has lead them to believe that's how the experience works all the time. Some people will then really enjoy the game, because the game was "good" to them, while other people will not enjoy their experience, or just not have the time / effort to keep going at the pace they are at.

-------------------------

So even with bigger numbers, with supposedly more frequently dropping legendaries, it's not catapulting players into elitehood; into an overwhelming force of players bashing through greater rifts. Nothing has actually changed heuristically, or behaviorally.

Players are still dropping off after a few hundred paragon levels, by the end of the first weekend.

Increasing difficulty of the Seasonal Journey is not going to change the game, it's not going to make things more rewarding; the only thing it will do, is ensure that more players don't achieve it. But even still, most players won't even know the difference, because they're dropping off well before that point anyway.

What needs to change is the drive and push of players to keep playing, not the fake difficulty of the fake scavenger hunt.
I agree with JoeShmo and his unreasonably long walls of text, add something(s) to make the game brand new again - or hell, make a Diablo 4 (it's been a long fkin while Blizz).

New consumables?? Hello?

More stash tabs?

Higher Torments for the die-hards to make their farming a bit easier, (a reward for being a die-hard)?

New CLASSES? Yeah it took only four years to add Necromancer, but why didn't you release the Druid/Assassin at the same time? Or any number of new concepts?
Make it too easy.. older generation complains.. Make it too hard.. Newer generation complains.. The only reason everything is so damn easy is because we are in a world with Participation rewards.. End of story..
I like the idea of new conquests. They don't necessarily have to be harder or easier, just something different. Put in one new conquest each season. You only have to do a few for guardian so you don't have to choose the new one. Maybe get the community involved to create a new one during each season to be implemented for the following one.

I know, I know, devs should spend time on D4 or balancing or whatever.
11/30/2017 03:41 PMPosted by ǶPHILIP

It's difficult enough already for the average player. I say that as a fairly new, average player who was relieved just to get my wings at the end of Chapter IV (after completing the campaign) before the season ended. Getting an extra stash tab through seasonal play will probably be forever out of my reach.

I suspect that season objectives are so simple to many experienced players, because seasons are really meant as a starting point for new players to enter the game. Making each season harder to progress in than the last one goes against that intention.
11/30/2017 12:55 AMPosted by Wichtelman
chapter godlike:

3. accquire the cosmic wings

4. master all set dungeons

5. level 100 augment on all your items

reward: a pet looking like a cookie
11/30/2017 12:55 AMPosted by Wichtelman
chapter godlike: