Darkening Tristram and how to start

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Do you have to collect the seven (7) cultist papers? Because my wife and I created a level 1 seasonal character and went into adventure mode on normal difficulty level and no symbol by the Old Ruins. Nor was there a portal when we went there? Then we tried it separately as single players and same thing...Its 4a.m. here and going to bed so any and all help is appreciated.
I believe it starts at midnight tonight.
They said midnight on the first but, failed to be specific. Was kinda hoping for sooner then later but u figure, you they wanna pay extra money for holiday pay to a employee when they don't have too?

I assume there asleep at the wheel, just this one time ;D
The only people at work today are the core server folks, Customer Support/Tech Support/Game Masters. The Devs and Community Managers are off today.

From what I remember the event consisted of two phases - a precursor event to hunt cultist pages for a portrait then the portal part. This starts a few hours before the portal opens.

So, it seems to be working ok so far, but I don't remember how many hours before the portal pops up. You don't need the cultist pages for the portal.

Correction! As has been pointed out to me below - The few hours delay was only for the first year. This year and other years the Cultists will be there first for Jan 1-3. Portal opens after that so probably the 4th.
Please note that future anniversary events will feature a pre-cursor event available from January 1-3

Ty @bigblack for the patch note reminder!
pumped
i forget whatever blizz time is
01/01/2018 07:10 AMPosted by MissCheetah
This starts a few hours before the portal opens.
Maybe hours, but due this patch notes:
Please note that future anniversary events will feature a pre-cursor event available from January 1-3
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-3#general
...it seems the lag is not in hours but about three days.
The seven (7) cultist papers are in D3 now but the portal is not there!
01/01/2018 07:10 AMPosted by MissCheetah
This starts a few hours before the portal opens.
Maybe hours, but due this patch notes:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/2-4-3#general
...it seems the lag is not in hours but about three days.

Good find! I missed that and I am not even hungover.

Ok, so cultists now for the portrait then we wait 3 days for the portal!
This is not how it worked last year. I ran the rift first, did not even know about the cultists till a few days after.
01/01/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Avalon
This is not how it worked last year. I ran the rift first, did not even know about the cultists till a few days after.

Correct. Last year the wait between the cultists and the portal was a few hours. I had forgotten about the patch note saying future years would have a 3 day pre-cursor event (Cultists).
They may have done it this way to force players to look for the pages, so the player cannot say "I never got the portrait frame." You know how some can be. If I would have known this I never would have stayed up so late for nothing. They really need to do a better job explaining things.

Something like this:

Hi kids, the Darkening of Tristram event will start on Jan. 1, but not really because the first three days will be spent by some players looking for the cultist pages for a portrait farm. So, all of you players that already have the frame will need to wait a few days more to run the rift. Enjoy
01/01/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Avalon
They may have done it this way to force players to look for them, so the player cannot say "I never got the portrait frame." You know how some can be.

Though seeing it's tradeable in Non-Seasonal, one can just stock pile a set and trade it with someone for that other person to get this Achievement.

I've done it with someone who missed hunting out on all the Cultist pages last year, and he got the Achievement/portrait.

Though, it's account-bound in Seasonal so players can't trade there.
01/01/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Avalon
This is not how it worked last year.
Those days the patch 2.4.3 (for the first time containing this event) came January 4, so they forced both events simultaneously. Now there is no such force majeure and they then said that there would be such an order.
01/01/2018 08:00 AMPosted by Kevmeister
They may have done it this way to force players to look for them, so the player cannot say "I never got the portrait frame." You know how some can be.

Though seeing it's tradeable in Non-Seasonal, one can just stock pile a set and trade it with someone for that other person to get this Achievement.

I've done it with someone who missed hunting out on all the Cultist pages last year, and he got the Achievement/portrait.

Though, it's account-bound in Seasonal so players can't trade there.

That is what I did last year, I just gave a bunch away.
Does this mean that if I want to do this event, I have to kill cultists before January 4th, or will they still be there after that?
01/01/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Zefre
Does this mean that if I want to do this event, I have to kill cultists before January 4th, or will they still be there after that?
Last year, the cultists were there for the entire month... even after you had the 7 pages and wish they would go away.

I assume this year will be the same.

Note : if you already collected the 7 pages last year, you already have the Classic Angel portrait... collecting the 7 pages again this year adds nothing.
Cultists are just for the portrait frame and will be there the whole month. You don't need to do that part to use the D1 portal once it opens. The two are related, but separate.
01/01/2018 08:58 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Cultists are just for the portrait frame and will be there the whole month. You don't need to do that part to use the D1 portal once it opens. The two are related, but separate.

MissC I know you live in a cave with 3 cats and no TV, but at least you help out when you can. By the way what are you cooking up today anything good?

xoxoxoxo
01/01/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Avalon
By the way what are you cooking up today anything good?

Funny you ask that, I just posted in the New Year thread.

Making a big pot of chili with ground beef, onions, garlic, 4 kinds of beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and assorted chili spices. I can have that with crackers or serve over rice to stretch it. It is so cold here that it sounds really good to me. I also have some plain greek yogurt (I don't do sour cream) and some shredded cheese I can put on top. Should last me all week and will make the house smell amazing.