" Challenge " rifts..

General Discussion
Oh yeah, one shotting everything including elites and using force move to walk through a very common map layout is really tricky. What Challenge?

Why dont you see how high I can do with this build..

seriously make challenge rifts, challenging.. You dont need to make them all that necro revive fear build .. which is the only one that I have actually found challenging (it took more than 1 attempt).

Like why have it so whoever is fastest is on top.. Make it a progression challenge, that would be much more satisfying and allow for continuous allotment of rewards.
11/18/2016 04:24 AMPosted by Skelos
Rearranging the skills will be a qol improvement over the option to change the keys in your gameplay options menu.

There are other things I am more concerned with CR based on what we saw at the videos from Blizzcon:
- Same character multiplayer - why not simply select 2/3/4 player builds with different characters? The players will have a lot more builds to choose from this way.
- Fast/easy/low GR - a challenge rift should be exactly this - a challenge! Selecting a rift done for 10 mins by the original player is no challenge at all.

But let's give it a time until these show on the PTR. I am sure there will be a lot of other suggestions too when this happens.
Looking forward to 2018!
I really wish we can play a GR115+ DPS Char once in a Challenger Rift. I really want to know the feeling.
12/20/2017 05:51 AMPosted by Nero
I really wish we can play a GR115+ DPS Char once in a Challenger Rift. I really want to know the feeling.

Challenge rift should be a map that was fished for and pushed on. Top 20 solo clears from all classes and additional section of 2/3/4 man top 50 clears so folks could get together with friends and try these as well.

And than everybody screaming "this game requires no skill, is all paragon and gear" would actually see what it is to attempt the map that was typically result of 100+ keys fishing expedition in optimized gear and beating it on first try without a chance of repeating it.

But, after first week challenge forum will be flooded with "it's impossible", some of us know that. However I think it would be really beneficial experiment, i think some (a lot actually) people from around here would see what running 100's of GR's on competitive stage in pushing environment does to you as a player. I personally would find it funny to see that folks would be failing it only because they would miss one CoE rotation on something mid-rift. Because that's the reality that majority of complaining player base don't know. 14:50 clears are very often result of perfect execution of a build on best possible map/mob composition. 99% of players are not capable of such playstyle.
If it is too easy people complain. If it is too hard people complain.

They are going for the middle ground most of the time with a few outliers once in a while. This week's rift was described by Blizzard as one for newer or beginner players. Look at it as free mats if you can easily do it.

Diablo‏Verified account @Diablo
Dec 18

This week's Challenge Rift is a great intro for newcomers! Use Sweeping Wind and Wave of Light for explosive power.
I wonder if there would be as many complaints if the feature just wasn't called "Challenge" rift. I don't have any suggestions as to what would have been better but it seems as if most of the criticism of the feature has to do with it not being a challenge or being too challenging. I haven't seen any posts that I can recall that faulted the devs for the overall idea of having a set rift based around a specific build that rewards players for completing it.

Personally, I've found some CRs too "glass cannon" for my tastes but I just skipped those weeks. Difficulty had nothing to do with it. I just don't like playing characters that die to a stiff breeze.
12/20/2017 10:10 AMPosted by JDog914
I wonder if there would be as many complaints if the feature just wasn't called "Challenge" rift.

I think the issue is that some define the world "challenge" to strictly mean difficulty level of the game. The challenge Blizzard intended was that you would have to play a class or build you may not be familiar with and would have to compensate for whatever bad decisions the original rift maker did.

12/20/2017 10:10 AMPosted by JDog914
Personally, I've found some CRs too "glass cannon" for my tastes but I just skipped those weeks. Difficulty had nothing to do with it. I just don't like playing characters that die to a stiff breeze.

This kind of illustrates my point. Glass cannon builds can be a pain to play so are a challenge to those who don't like that style. Not the challenge you might have wanted, but a challenge regardless.

The other "challenge" aspect is that they have leaderboards. Players don't have to worry about gearing or playtime to compete because everyone has the same rift. That is viewed as a fun challenge for some people. Maybe to top the board on a week their favorite build is up.

Not sure what else the rifts could be called that would better guide player expectations. "Weekly Rifts"? That is about all I can come up with.

Edit - I also want to know where the weekly results posts went that were on the front page of the website.
12/20/2017 10:17 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Edit - I also want to know where the weekly results posts went that were on the front page of the website.

Mainly has to be lack of interest on the players part.
With a little, takes too much CM time to post.
12/20/2017 10:25 AMPosted by Blackarrows

No idea. I always read the posts, even if I did not comment on them. I liked that we had a record of the weekly leaderboards. We had some people who regularly topped them. I liked seeing that their work/interest was captured.
12/20/2017 10:25 AMPosted by Blackarrows

I think the lack of interest is related to the title of the thread.

Its like seeing who can speed run t13 the fastest. Its t13 no one would care. It needs to be a bit out of the ordinary for the average player to generate interest.
Maybe "Weekly Rift" would have been better. Then the expectation isn't that this particular rift is going to be a "challenge" for me personally. It is simply the current week's special rift. Players find all sorts of different aspects of the game to be more or less challenging. To set that in the player's mind before they even attempt to do the run just seems like it was a branding mistake on the devs part.
I'd call them "featured rifts" like how they used to have featured builds. And hopefully go back to showing off interesting or unique builds, not half finished builds.

I was happy to play this monk rift for free mats instead of the usual complaints about how garbage most of the builds are.

Still, I can't believe they gave us such a generous time limit. I went the wrong way down a long dead end and still finished 2 minutes early on my first try.
Part of the problem to me is that if you can't clear it within around 20 minutes, then the time != the rewards. This leads me to be uninterested in classes I don't play regularly because the time it takes to get familiar with the build is longer than doing a set of bounties
12/20/2017 09:15 AMPosted by MissCheetah

People complain, always. Why not.
Ill complain forever and ever about this ~ Again and again, please Diablo III HD Texture Pack. I want it, I need it. The game needs it.
:-)

They are going for the middle ground most of the time with a few outliers once in a while. This week's rift was described by Blizzard as one for newer or beginner players. Look at it as free mats if you can easily do it.
[quote]
Dec 18

This week's Challenge Rift is a great intro for newcomers! Use Sweeping Wind and Wave of Light for explosive power.

You know when I see this tweet it makes me feel even worse. Sweeping wind is literally useless on this LoN build. You can remove it from your skill bar and you won't notice a difference. Yet, bliezard themselves says to use it for explosive result. I mean, come on, at least learn your game, idk.
12/20/2017 06:27 AMPosted by S4v4G3
Challenge rift should be a map that was fished for and pushed on. Top 20 solo clears from all classes and additional section of 2/3/4 man top 50 clears so folks could get together with friends and try these as well.

And than everybody screaming "this game requires no skill, is all paragon and gear" would actually see what it is to attempt the map that was typically result of 100+ keys fishing expedition in optimized gear and beating it on first try without a chance of repeating it.

Agreed. It would be cooler if they could find less often used builds that made it into the top 100 too. But this would require actually having a person choose the challenge rift like they should.

I totally understand that, but I think they are just feeding even newer players this one.. the build was sluggish so it wasnt really fun.. and I play wave of light lightning (pretty much only one thats ranked on front page with it). I can see why you'd give newer players an easy one, but that should still take them a couple attempts. I mean I legitimately dont know how one could fail this you 1 shot everything even rift guardian.

Blizzard Employee's/Diablo Dev team should watch the video Shinobi just released on "{Why he's done with Diablo III}" I mean once you get passed him praising himself there's actually some really good points he makes about the potential of Challenge Rifts.

https://youtu.be/fY5szFjK9BY?t=946 I went ahead and skipped to where he starts talking about Diablo III's current "problems."

12/21/2017 12:12 AMPosted by Kikaha

[quote]
Dec 18

You know when I see this tweet it makes me feel even worse. Sweeping wind is literally useless on this LoN build. You can remove it from your skill bar and you won't notice a difference. Yet, bliezard themselves says to use it for explosive result. I mean, come on, at least learn your game, idk.

I didnt activate it once .. make a sweeping wind LoN cR with kyoshiro soul if you want us to use it for anything besides spirit gen

[/quote]
Yes but that's why there should be tier system where the first tier would be achievable for all. Third or fifth tier would be only for extremely skilled players. (Same layout, more dangerous enemies )