Guide on How to Farm _______! (fill in the blank)

New Player Help
From set pieces to weapons to jewellery, every build has its required pieces. And this guide will hopefully help you get your first version. There are tricks to upgrading your pieces into the very best it can be, but if you're just starting to build, then any version will often do. This guide will require you to have the Reaper of Souls expansion pack, and you should already be levelled to 70 and working on Paragon.

First, you will want to be in adventure mode. If you are playing a season, then you can just jump right in. Obviously, Seasonal characters can get a free set for completing the first four chapters of the season journey (I'm not covering this). But if the free set that season isn't what you want, you still need supporting pieces, or you got a free set, and this is a second character, then this information is more than valid. If you are playing Non Season, then at least one of your characters must have completed the campaign. And Non-Season doesn't get a free set, so farming is your way to victory!

Second, you will need to collect the cube for Zoltan Kule. More information than you need here:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

Next. Know what you want. Beginners can look at a build online and try to duplicate that. I personally like iceyveins.com however, there are many good websites out there. Also, don't just know the set, but also the accompany legendary pieces, and the cubed items as well. Since you're farming a build you may get a natural drop on a belt while you're concentrating on bracers. You never know.

You will want to run regular Rifts (yellow) at as high of a difficulty as you can reasonably do in 5-8 minutes. At a minimum of Torment 1. If you are just starting out, I would recommend picking everything up for the crafting materials, however, that will likely also increase your time up to 10 minutes per rift. What you are trying to get are Death's Breaths, Forgotten Souls (from salvaging any legendary items you aren't going to use), and blood shards. It is possible to get legendary items form any enemy, chest, or breakable in the game, but you are most likely to get them from Elites, Champions, and Rift Guardians (RG). You get Deaths Breaths from Elites, Champions and RGs. You will get Blood Shards from RG only.

When you are finished the rift, spend your Blood Shards on the item you want from Kadala. Most of these items will just be rare (yellow) items, but occasionally you can get a legendary or set piece directly.

Then take your lvl 70 yellow pieces to the Zoltan Kule to use the cube. Use the Hope of Cain recipe to Upgrade Rare items into a legendary or set piece. It will cost you Deaths Breaths and materials from your salvaged Normal, Magical, and Rare pieces. Upgrade as many as you have materials for.

Some slots have specific sub-sets. For example, If you were a wizard and wanted the Wand of Woh, you would spend at Kadala on 1-handed weapons. But if you're upgrading rare items at the cube, only a rare wand will ever have a chance of being a legendary wand like the Wand of Woh. Any other 1-handed weapons would be a waste. It is for this reason, if trying to get legendary weapons and off hand items, it often better to craft a rare lvl 70 item at the blacksmith, and upgrade those, instead of gambling blood shards. Thankfully, most of the armor won't matter, as shoulders are shoulders, and gloves are gloves, etc.

When you are out of materials, go the blacksmith and salvage anything you don't need. Including useless legendary items you just got from the cube. Since items are easily farmed, I wouldn't worry much about pieces you don't need unless they are ancient. And then run another rift collecting every Deaths Breath and legendary and other needed materials you find. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

At times you will have a natural drop of a set piece. And RNG does not always favour you and give you a set piece you already have. But, don't throw that away. Compare the two pieces and take the lesser piece to the cube and use Skill of Nilfur to convert a set item. This will change the set item to another piece from the same set. But if you read the fine print you will notice that it does not work on sets of 2. So basically the jewellery-only set items don't work with this recipe. Also, when it says you will not get the same piece, what they mean is gloves will not be gloves. Gloves can turn into shoulders. And on a second attempt, those shoulders could turn back into gloves. But eventually, it will be a piece you need. Each attempt will cost you Deaths Breaths and Forgotten Souls.

And that is it. It is that simple, but RNG makes it a grind. Which is kind of the point in a game like this. I would like to remind you, this guide does not tell how to improve an item. Which is why I didn't touch on bounties and special Cache materials. That's another guide for another player to write. But every season, I always hunt out my first of each gear for the build I want to play, and then worry about getting those pieces to be the best they can be.

I hope this helps. Happy Hunting.

and anytime someone asks how to farm their equipment, feel free to link back to this thread

Edits will be made based on feedback as necessary
This needs to be stickied!
You need to pick up all of the materials ,including reusable parts, arcane dust, and especially Veiled Crystal since you need them to upgrade Rares.

And you can convert set jewelry as long as it belongs to a set larger than 2 items.
In another forum post, I responded to a question on full clears. I thought it good to add here...

I actually said it could take longer {than 5-8 min} if you're picking up everything.

To expand: If you collect every yellow, blue and white that drops, you need time to collect, plus extra time to go back to town and salvage when your personal inventory gets full. And this can happen a few times per rift.

Whether you do this depends on your materials inventory and if you feel you have enough. When looking at your equipment/personal inventory, there is a little anvil icon in the bottom left. Click that and your materials inventory panel will open up.

My view on close vs full completion is close when done. If I'm in a map that is a wide open field with lots of elites and champions, i might complete the map for the DBs. But you will consistently get more for your time spent by closing after the RG and start a new one.

Happy hunting.
Excellent wealth of info guide! Definitely should be stickied.

Since veiled crystal supply tends to go the fastest, when doing cube Upgrade Rare items and stats re-rolling, there are a few very useful Kanai's cube Convert Crafting Material recipes that can be used to convert reusable parts(x100) and arcane dust(x100) into veiled crystals(x100) using DBs(x1). Farming non-blue/yellow white items (effigy/armor/weapon/torture rack drops) give the highest salvage ratio to get reusable parts. Some map tiles are literally peppered with armor/weapon stands everywhere. This in turn makes a fast cheap way to convert and increase veiled crystal count when you are running low.

Particular goblin encounters can also help with materials:
* Odious Collector - drops crafting materials including FS's and DB's.
* Blood Thief - drops blood shards
* Rainbow Goblin - opens a portal to crafting mat heaven, along with FS's, DB's, gems, legendaries.

More info here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Treasure_Goblin
05/19/2018 01:34 PMPosted by storytime42
In another forum post, I responded to a question on full clears. I thought it good to add here...
You might want to edit your OP to include that information near the bottom. You could add a boldface section title such as: In regards to full clears or Regarding Full Clears.

This would keep all the information in one place and prevent users from having to scroll through the entire thread looking for "bits-and-pieces".

Nice job, btw!
05/20/2018 06:22 AMPosted by Perusoe
You might want to edit your OP to include that information near the bottom. You could add a boldface section title such as: In regards to full clears or Regarding Full Clears.

This would keep all the information in one place and prevent users from having to scroll through the entire thread looking for "bits-and-pieces".

Nice job, btw!

I had thought about that. I just feel the OP is long already.

As a clarification, it is also long. I didn't want to bog down the OP for something that was really just a misinterpretation.

If more feel that it should be in the OP, I can still be convinced.

Thank you for your feedback and kind words.
You will also be a lot faster at this if you start your gambling with the cheap 25 blood shard slots. i.e. rings and amulets get left till last.

And probably never gamble on weapons, as there are many different classes of weapon for 1-H and 2-H weapons. While gambling on other things, collect rare versions of the weapon type you are interested in (Wand, Dagger etc) and use with Hope of Cain.
07/04/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Avicenna
You will also be a lot faster at this if you start your gambling with the cheap 25 blood shard slots. i.e. rings and amulets get left till last.
This is probably good advice.

07/04/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Avicenna
And probably never gamble on weapons, as there are many different classes of weapon for 1-H and 2-H weapons.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. When my Demon Hunter gambles 1-Hand weapons she gets Hand Crossbows and the occasional Dagger. When she gambles 2-Hand weapons she gets Bows and Crossbows.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. When my Demon Hunter gambles 1-Hand weapons she gets Hand Crossbows and the occasional Dagger. When she gambles 2-Hand weapons she gets Bows and Crossbows.

You get all the 1-H or 2-H weapons your class is eligible to equip, but thats usually a far larger set than the weapons type you are specifically interested in.

e.g. I play a wizard and gambling for 1-H wand will get me wands, axes, swords, daggers etc. as gamble results. So im spending ~300 blood shards per wand gambled.
07/05/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Avicenna
e.g. I play a wizard and gambling for 1-H wand will get me wands, axes, swords, daggers etc. as gamble results. So im spending ~300 blood shards per wand gambled.
I see your point. I guess it depends on which Class you play. Still, I'm surprised (and glad) my Demon Hunter doesn't see more Swords and Spears.
07/05/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Perusoe
07/05/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Avicenna
I see your point. I guess it depends on which Class you play. Still, I'm surprised (and glad) my Demon Hunter doesn't see more Swords and Spears.

Maybe the results are weighted for each class? For Wizards, looking for Wands seems bad though. I did a trial gamble with only 1300 shards, but about 1 in 6 results was a Wand at all, and the actual legendaries I got were 3 swords a mace and an Axe and no wand at all.

A way bigger sample size is required to make any definite conclusions, but I had similar results on my Necro and WD.

http://fightingdragonswithtaylorswift.com/kadala/
might be instructive. Resetting it and giving it a few runs shows I can expect to pay about 10k Blood Shards per legendary wand. I'm sure can farm 25 DB's in way less time than 10k Blood Shards.
07/06/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Avicenna
For Wizards, looking for Wands seems bad though.
Try crafting some Level 70 Rare Wands at Haedrig's. Then use the Cube to upgrade them. ;-)
noice
Just going to bump this because of how useful this is for a fresh 70 player like me. Thank you.
I have seen a lot of new players on this forum for season 16. I thought it would be good to mention, even with the new patch, this guide is still current.
One thing I will add to this though regarding full clears. Someone earlier said that you generally get more for your time leaving and starting a new rift after killing the rift guardian. I dont think this is really the case.

If you have an optimized speedfarming setup, especially one with mobility, like for example ricochet shadow impale, if I just run a regular T13 rift I can get to RG kill in probably 3 minutes on average, depending on the map. If its one of the best maps thats 1 huge level, i can probably get to RG kill in just over 1 minute. This is with picking up every DB/legendary, and opening every chest on the map up to where i kill RG. I generally do not spend the time to pick up single veiled crystals etc or gems.

Porting back to town takes maybe 10 seconds, and closing the rift takes 30 seconds, if you instead log out and back in, you might be able to cut this time down to maybe another 10 seconds. So lets say 20-40 seconds from RG kill to starting a new rift, Im just going to call it 30 seconds. Lets just say it takes 8 minutes on average to full clear the entire map.

If I start a new rift every time i kill the rift guardian and I farm for lets say 30 minutes, that means on average im able to do 8 rifts where i port out right after RG. This means that I spent 8*30 = 240 seconds = 4 minutes out of that 30 minutes in transition from rift to rift.

If instead, I full clear the entire map, instead im able to do 3 full clears in 30 minutes, and only 3 transitions, 3*30 = 90 seconds = 1.5 minutes that I spent in transition from rift to rift.

Basically the point is that if you close and reopen after fighting the RG, then you end up having to go through the process of reopening much much more frequently, which wastes time. The one difference you might say is that you would kill more RGs per hour, by a large margin, if you close and reopen after RG kill. I only think this really matters if you are farming keystones. If you are specifically farming keystones then obviously exiting after RG kill is the best strategy. Besides the keystones and blood shards, the loot from RG generally isnt that great.

Because of these points I think that if your goal is to farm legendaries, you will get more legendary drops per hour if you full clear maps, assuming that you have a build that can move very quickly through maps with suboptimal pack density. If your build has little mobility, then maybe only continuing to clear the level if it is a good level and then checking the entrance to the next floor, exiting if it isnt one of the ones that are usually good would be better.
@ Communismo

There is lots of evidence that close when done and start a new Rift will drop more.

But briefly, the next floor of a Rift isn't created until someone goes to it. So, if your Rift end on floor 2, floor 3 hasn't been created yet. All the loot and enemies in that floor are generated as the game progresses. This will be the same RNG system that would generate a new first floor. What this means is, you miss nothing by not going to the next floor after the RG is dead.

So the next side of it is the 30 sec wait. This will happen anyways. The rifts are not endless. You will have to choose out and wait 30 no matter what you do. Thus, there is no loss here either.

What you do get for closing after the RG, and a chance to get to the next RG sooner. RG drop material packages that don't take up inventory space, extra legendary items and DBs, and shards for Kadala. Shards are also a major part of gearing. And Rift stones, which isn't part of this gearing guide, but is required for another major part of this game. You don't get this bonus by full clearing a Rift, and is a large loss to the number of legendary items you can roll for in an hour.

There are more finner points to the argument, and I don't know if I articulated it very well. But if you want to really debate full clears VS close and continue, search out the other threads in these forms. You will see it is a heated debate.
12/29/2017 06:11 PMPosted by storytime42
From set pieces to weapons to jewellery, every build has its required pieces. And this guide will hopefully help you get your first version. There are tricks to upgrading your pieces into the very best it can be, but if you're just starting to build, then any version will often do. This guide will require you to have the Reaper of Souls expansion pack, and you should already be levelled to 70 and working on Paragon.

First, you will want to be in adventure mode. If you are playing a season, then you can just jump right in. Obviously, Seasonal characters can get a free set for completing the first four chapters of the season journey (I'm not covering this). But if the free set that season isn't what you want, you still need supporting pieces, or you got a free set, and this is a second character, then this information is more than valid. If you are playing Non Season, then at least one of your characters must have completed the campaign. And Non-Season doesn't get a free set, so farming is your way to victory!

Second, you will need to collect the cube for Zoltan Kule. More information than you need here:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

Next. Know what you want. Beginners can look at a build online and try to duplicate that. I personally like iceyveins.com however, there are many good websites out there. Also, don't just know the set, but also the accompany legendary pieces, and the cubed items as well. Since you're farming a build you may get a natural drop on a belt while you're concentrating on bracers. You never know.

You will want to run regular Rifts (yellow) at as high of a difficulty as you can reasonably do in 5-8 minutes. At a minimum of Torment 1. If you are just starting out, I would recommend picking everything up for the crafting materials, however, that will likely also increase your time up to 10 minutes per rift. What you are trying to get are Death's Breaths, Forgotten Souls (from salvaging any legendary items you aren't going to use), and blood shards. It is possible to get legendary items form any enemy, chest, or breakable in the game, but you are most likely to get them from Elites, Champions, and Rift Guardians (RG). You get Deaths Breaths from Elites, Champions and RGs. You will get Blood Shards from RG only.

When you are finished the rift, spend your Blood Shards on the item you want from Kadala. Most of these items will just be rare (yellow) items, but occasionally you can get a legendary or set piece directly.

Then take your lvl 70 yellow pieces to the Zoltan Kule to use the cube. Use the Hope of Cain recipe to Upgrade Rare items into a legendary or set piece. It will cost you Deaths Breaths and materials from your salvaged Normal, Magical, and Rare pieces. Upgrade as many as you have materials for.

Some slots have specific sub-sets. For example, If you were a wizard and wanted the Wand of Woh, you would spend at Kadala on 1-handed weapons. But if you're upgrading rare items at the cube, only a rare wand will ever have a chance of being a legendary wand like the Wand of Woh. Any other 1-handed weapons would be a waste. It is for this reason, if trying to get legendary weapons and off hand items, it often better to craft a rare lvl 70 item at the blacksmith, and upgrade those, instead of gambling blood shards. Thankfully, most of the armor won't matter, as shoulders are shoulders, and gloves are gloves, etc.

When you are out of materials, go the blacksmith and salvage anything you don't need. Including useless legendary items you just got from the cube. Since items are easily farmed, I wouldn't worry much about pieces you don't need unless they are ancient. And then run another rift collecting every Deaths Breath and legendary and other needed materials you find. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

At times you will have a natural drop of a set piece. And RNG does not always favour you and give you a set piece you already have. But, don't throw that away. Compare the two pieces and take the lesser piece to the cube and use Skill of Nilfur to convert a set item. This will change the set item to another piece from the same set. But if you read the fine print you will notice that it does not work on sets of 2. So basically the jewellery-only set items don't work with this recipe. Also, when it says you will not get the same piece, what they mean is gloves will not be gloves. Gloves can turn into shoulders. And on a second attempt, those shoulders could turn back into gloves. But eventually, it will be a piece you need. Each attempt will cost you Deaths Breaths and Forgotten Souls.

And that is it. It is that simple, but RNG makes it a grind. Which is kind of the point in a game like this. I would like to remind you, this guide does not tell how to improve an item. Which is why I didn't touch on bounties and special Cache materials. That's another guide for another player to write. But every season, I always hunt out my first of each gear for the build I want to play, and then worry about getting those pieces to be the best they can be.

I hope this helps. Happy Hunting.

and anytime someone asks how to farm their equipment, feel free to link back to this thread

Edits will be made based on feedback as necessary
With season 17 about to start, I thought I'd put a few thoughts on this for S17 specifically.

I know, the most reliable easy to get an ancient version is to re-craft a legendary with the second recipe in the cube. However, it is recommended on re-crafting a spare. This means you will need to hunt out 2 versions for your LoN build.

That's twice the farming with this guide, which will still work!

I think the biggest difference will be most DB farming will now be done on the new torment levels. Following the guide line of the highest level you can do in roughly 5 min, will still meet you the most efficient farming of legendary gear.