Why are all ''new'' Blizzard games cartoony?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
I don't know if I want them realistic. Path of exile looks realistic and something just looks wrong, that game has no immersion to me compared to Diablo. I like Diablos graphics a lot but this is the first one I played so I have no nostalgia like most of the community. It's pretty hard to see what people actually like about the old ones from my perspective because graphically, they aged terribly and I don't have any interest in looking at them. I enjoyed the art form of d3 and it runs at well over 100fps without any problems on even my laptop. Overwatch is a cartoon. Diablo definitely isn't cartoony, but it's not realistic either. I don't think blizzard is one to make realistic graphics. Odds are the extreme success of this iteration means little change for the future either way.
Since I've seen people saying they want a "dark" atmosphere, I am actually curios having not played any of the old ones, do people want a feel similar to dark souls 3? That game had an incredibly dark and depressing theme that was tied together at every point from constant overcast to the music. Is that similar to what people are wishing Diablo was?
12/21/2017 09:50 AMPosted by DrDront
the inspiring grim/dark Warcraft 2 setting
Stopped reading right there.

If you think Warcraft 2 was grim/dark, I don't know what to tell you.

Not here to defend D3, either. They lost the atmosphere.
Well, If you don't read or at least provide an argument, then i don't know what to tell you, except to read a page or two back for a relevant comment on W2.
12/29/2017 10:05 AMPosted by SubSublime
I don't know if I want them realistic. Path of exile looks realistic and something just looks wrong, that game has no immersion to me compared to Diablo. I like Diablos graphics a lot but this is the first one I played so I have no nostalgia like most of the community. It's pretty hard to see what people actually like about the old ones from my perspective because graphically, they aged terribly and I don't have any interest in looking at them. I enjoyed the art form of d3 and it runs at well over 100fps without any problems on even my laptop. Overwatch is a cartoon. Diablo definitely isn't cartoony, but it's not realistic either. I don't think blizzard is one to make realistic graphics. Odds are the extreme success of this iteration means little change for the future either way.

I suggest you actually try the older Diablo games before you judge them, aged graphics aside, the previous games had a more impactful and better atmosphere. The atmosphere in D3 is arbitrary and forgettable, at best.

Atmosphere aside, D2 was an actual arpg unlike the fast paced racing game simulator that is Riftablo 3, that means interesting itemization and more in depth character customization, rewarding drop system. When stuff dropped in D2 you felt excited, unlike D3 where the massive quantities of useless legendaries that are to be instant salvage leaves a sour taste in any mouth except that generation of korea mmo grinding poor souls, such a terrible and frustrating design. Apart from uncreative and poor itemization(Legendary-> Ancient Legendary -> Ultra legendary-> uber legendary /Sets *sigh*)D3 items are dumbed down, they removed half the stats that were possible in D2 items, made other stats uninteresting such as Block, ruined.

As for the opinion that none cartoon do not age well, i don't agree. The reason why D2 graphics aged so poorly is because of low max res(800 x 600). That's terrible for todays standards and larger monitors. The truth is that D2 never had awesome graphics to begin with, even at release(2000) it looked a bit oldish, but the overall atmosphere puts Diablo 3 to shame even 17-18 years later, if cartoon graphics means sacrificing the atmosphere, then it's never worth it as graphics alone don't mean squat, especially not a decade or more later as most games from that time would look aged anyways, but the atmosphere persists.

Reasoning that realistic is worse because it looks terrible in 10 years is silly. You design games to appeal to current tech and suit the game's atmosphere, not "hmm better go with cartoony so the game still looks OK in 10 years..."

Precisely this, Diablo 3 cartoon graphics received harsh criticisms from hordes of annoyed Diablo fans at release back in 2012 when it was the most relevant. You can bet it was one of the reasons people abandoned the game and never looked back. 10 years later really? Imho just an excuse for not having the right kind of devs able to create the mature graphics suitable for the darker Diablo universe established by the previous titles.

As for Diablo 3 a huge financial success , much thanks to popularity of D1 & especially Diablo 2/Lod. It is also the most controversial game in the history of Blizzard and one that hordes of gamers would call one of the worst PC game sequels ever, tons of people abandoned the game not long after buying it, that's also a fact. The popularity of games such as PoE is exactly because Diablo 3 failed to be the sequel fans had waited more than a decade for, otherwise PoE wouldn't even exist today. I am sorry to say this but there is a reason why Diablo 3 is basically ignored at Blizzcon for years now and is given such little overall attention, you can bet that Blizzard is aware of the massive criticism against D3 and wouldn't want to hire another Wilson type to develop the future Diablo game unless they really want to ruin their reputation further. I wouldn't be surprised at all if David Brevik has something to do with the new secret Diablo project, to put things right again.
Yeah. Remember when they added Kung-fu Panda to WoW?
12/29/2017 05:25 PMPosted by DrDront
As for Diablo 3 a huge financial success , much thanks to popularity of D1 & especially Diablo 2/Lod

100% agree

DIABLO III & PEAPER OF SOULS, A HUGU FINANCIAL SUCCESS, MUCH THANKS TO MASS"IV"E POPULARITY OF DIABLO & HELLFIRE & ESPECIALLY DIABLO II & LORD OF DESTRUCTION
:-)
12/21/2017 11:14 AMPosted by nand
Cartoony graphics age better than “realistic” graphics. You can play a cartoony game from 10-20 years ago and it still looks good, whereas any “realistic” game from that era looks like garbage.

So laziness then. Ok.

12/21/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Jitter
Blame consoles ....
When your target audience includes 10 year olds.

[/quote]

Studies show that cartoony graphics appeal to lower IQ as well so maybe that is the key.
Too much pastel and water color.
12/21/2017 03:46 PMPosted by Lane
AFAIK, Blizzard only released two games that weren't cartoony, Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.
Have any of you seen Diablo 1? Warcraft 1? Rock and roll racing? When have Blizzard games been anything but cartoony?
12/21/2017 12:42 PMPosted by Ghostpos
A. some folks prefer it.

B. lower hardware requirements

A. Very little of the player base wants a cartoony looking Diablo title. That was actually one of the biggest gripes about this game and still is.

B. True. Pretty straight forward.
12/21/2017 12:22 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Yep. It does come down to money as Skelos said, but it is not just about marketing. Attempting to go "realistic" really does age poorly which causes long term losses as people move to newer tech. That is why all the Blizzard art avoids being realistic and goes for some form of "art" style. Each of their games, esp WoW, OW, HS, and HotS have a signature or "brand" type look to them that helps define a Blizzard games as a Blizzard game. Just like you can look at a famous painting by a distinctive artist and guess who painted it.

I've never thought of it quite like that, but I definitely see it now. I guess it's unfortunate that my favorite style is realism. I never cared for World of Warcraft's art style. There are very few items I ever xmogged. D3's style is much more to my liking; It's still better visually than other AARPG's. I know it's not quite as dark gothic as many fans hoped for, but I honestly find it boring when everything is a shade of black.
12/22/2017 01:26 PMPosted by DrDront
12/22/2017 01:15 PMPosted by Prology
I looked up Kitava and to be honest it looks like any of the D3 bosses to me.
The path to fight Cydaea in act 3, where you see that giant evil chic, THAT is not dark for you people?

Kitava on a proper rig looks far better than any D3 boss, just look at the effects when she/he/it does that giant cleave on the ground.

Please. Kitava is a boring cramped boss fight that is literally copy pasted twice.

Its a big red dude with a starfish head. The designs in PoE leave a lot to be desired.
12/21/2017 03:46 PMPosted by Lane
AFAIK, Blizzard only released two games that weren't cartoony, Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

Yep, made by diff dev & company (were bought and name changed just before D1 was released).

It shows those games were not made by the Irvine crew. It lacks the homogenization of WoW art & music.
12/21/2017 12:22 PMPosted by MissCheetah
12/21/2017 11:14 AMPosted by nand
Cartoony graphics age better than “realistic” graphics. You can play a cartoony game from 10-20 years ago and it still looks good, whereas any “realistic” game from that era looks like garbage.

Yep. It does come down to money as Skelos said, but it is not just about marketing. Attempting to go "realistic" really does age poorly which causes long term losses as people move to newer tech. That is why all the Blizzard art avoids being realistic and goes for some form of "art" style. Each of their games, esp WoW, OW, HS, and HotS have a signature or "brand" type look to them that helps define a Blizzard games as a Blizzard game. Just like you can look at a famous painting by a distinctive artist and guess who painted it.

This is just simply incorrect. There are plenty of games that have aged well with realistic graphics. Battlefield 3 still looks amazing and the animations are smooth and that was released 8 years ago. So has Gears of War and others.
"WHY ARE ALL ''NEW'' BLIZZARD GAMES CARTOONY?"
Because of moah money for blizz - If they would release M rated titles they wouldnt sell as much when leaving the "kiddie agerange" out of their customer radar.
12/17/2018 03:31 PMPosted by NINEGRAVES
"WHY ARE ALL ''NEW'' BLIZZARD GAMES CARTOONY?"
Because of moah money for blizz - If they would release M rated titles they wouldnt sell as much when leaving the "kiddie agerange" out of their customer radar.

Didn't Diablo 3 sell like 30 million copies?