Expansion anytime soon in 2018?

General Discussion
This game is overdue for an expansion and some actual content.
Sure would be nice.
New content (new class, expansion) is really needed to make the game interesting again.
01/23/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Shark
New content (new class, expansion) is really needed to make the game interesting again.

for 2 3 weeks ?
hopefully not. they should let d3 rip.

go and put ur working hours into d4.
necro class.
a bunch of misc. zones added to different acts.

we have the next expansion already (or what they finished of it) and it was cancelled, chopped up, and given as additional content in patches and DLC.

D4 is their focus now, or whatever diablo game they were hiring for a bit ago.
D4 announcement coming in next couple years would be so much cooler than an expansion. Why? Expansion can't restructure D3's core design choices that are rigid and would take a whole new game, like D4, to do properly and make the game amazing.

Expansions can't change those major core-pieces. They can't.
The chances that D4 will be a better D3 is what most hope and pray for....sadly that is not going to happen.

D4 will be nothing like D3 and likely a completely different style and type of online game.

So be careful what you wish for.
It expanded and nobody is content.
D4 will be MMORPG, 1st person hack n slash.... it will be a unique experience.
oh wait, that is actually WOW!
01/25/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Astig
D4 will be MMORPG, 1st person hack n slash.... it will be a unique experience.
oh wait, that is actually WOW!

Since when WoW is a 1st person hack n slash?
01/23/2018 08:57 AMPosted by bunnyriven
This game is overdue for an expansion and some actual content.

They need to repair the core issues of the game before they release anything new. Let's elaborate on a few:

Build diversity. While 2.6.1 was at least some progress in creating build diversity at the cost of large scale power creep, they need to find a better balance to more builds, both set to set comparisons and set to non-set comparisons. The difference between two well planned builds should not be 3300% damage simply because one build uses a set and another doesn't.

Complete adjusting all legendary pieces to have affixes. They started this project then abandoned it a short time later. The issues players have with a lot of legendary equipment is that there is no special affix to them. Affixes that compliment other abilities rarely used would encourage players to try those skills a lot more. Sets that don't confine you to a specific list of skills would encourage more creative use of existing abilities.

Making the rest of the world matter. They've tried adding new zones to the game a couple of times now and very few players cared because of the 'mah rewards' mentality when comparing playing in the new zones to running GR. Players run them once and never go back, which would feel like wasted effort to developers.

There's more I feel they would need to do before they start adding content again, or it'll end up like other content patches: No one will care because it's not giving massive rewards or boosting their GR levels.
D3 has bad core elements, it doesn't matter if they release more content, it will fall short like ROS did.

Scrap this game and let's move to D4.
d4 isn't going to be any better. i mean it will in it's own way, but it will be similar to d3, not d2 and how fondly it is remembered. just saying.
01/25/2018 10:02 AMPosted by EPiCSMoKE
d4 isn't going to be any better. i mean it will in it's own way, but it will be similar to d3, not d2 and how fondly it is remembered. just saying.

maybe but isn't that the point? i mean, at the end - i don't think anyone would want a reskinned D2 over and over and over again.

i don't think that having a different experience with how they approach the ARPG genre in the Diablo universe is a bad thing. with a new game looming on the horizon (i assume) - they could take the story wherever they want to - they could make it an Epilogue with the nephalim destroying both angels and demons alike to have a good/evil ending, they could go way back to the Sin Wars and make it an RTS game (spitballing here but take a moment and think about how cool that could be) or going in a completely different direction by bringing back Lilith or Inarius into the fray.

the way i see it - i'd rather them take the best elements from both d2 and d3 and add something new to the game.
also, events are not so often as they used to be .. and when there is some, its old, used event we already had one ..

Wonder what made me play diablo 2 for so long .. in D3 i play only seasons, for 2 weeks, then its done, nothing to do .. playing more with slower rewards just to made a smallish progress that is not worth the time and effort .. there is no fun in it.

I can go play Far Cry 3 and listening "what is insanity".
At this point in D3's life I don't think we will be getting any expansions. Instead it is more likely to go into maintenance mode than getting an expansion. I think it would be more likely to see a remastered D2 announced later this year to be relased sometime between Q1 and Q2 of 2019. Then I would say that we would also see them announce D4 later this year, that is if they have something to show us.

The only other thing that might get added to this game if they ever did add anything would be another class at best. And that would be used like the necro to keep us busy until either the D2 remaster launches or they have D4 ready for sale.
Reaper of Souls was released almost 4 years ago.

The real question is, what has the team been working on since then? The new zones we have gotten have all been pointless when the entire endgame revolves around rifts.
01/30/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Coleslaw
Reaper of Souls was released almost 4 years ago.

The real question is, what has the team been working on since then? The new zones we have gotten have all been pointless when the entire endgame revolves around rifts.

That endgame is nothing but an adventure mode with a stop watch/mob counter... tbh it is still better than old diablo's kill the same story boss zillion times for the 0.0001% chance drop endgame.