Clearing GR100 - Aggravated

Demon Hunter
So, I have been pondering over this for a whole season. Since the beginning of this season. I have been gearing and gearing and gearing my UE MS build to perfection, to the point where now that I look at my items, I see nothing wrong with anything. I feel like everything is good enough to push a GR100 at least. People in top1000 leaderboards get in there with the same build and worse stats. But, after about a minute in any GR100, regardless of the layout, it feels like my damage falls off entirely.I have been looking over my gear time and time again and I just don’t know what could be the possible cause of this. It’s really depressing, seeing everyone climb and me not being capable of doing so for reasons unknown to me. My dex is around 20,000 (19,700-something), sheet damage is 3.4mil, toughness is, I think, around 62.k (I can’t tell for sure, writing from phone).
It would be so nice if someone could check my profile and explain to me what is missing and possibly what I could change. Maybe I’m overlooking it?

Tired of this.
I just completed a GR100 just yestersday. :)

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gulcasa-6570/hero/37583367

My stuff are not perfectly rolled to but the essential stats are there.

I only have around 2.6mil sheet dps though. The most significant different is the lack of MS% on your quiver and helm and you are lacking area dmg.

Other than that you are lacking crit damage too. You will be better off rerolling your hellfire amulet from crit chance to crit damage.

Generally speaking in the GR you must be able to keep ahead of the timing slightly and a decent pylon will push your progress ahead to give you enough time to kill the RG.
I'm no UE MS expert but you are seriously missing CHD

I'd personally swap the CHC on your Amulet for CHD

That would be a good damage boost and see what happens
So, I have been pondering over this for a whole season. Since the beginning of this season. I have been gearing and gearing and gearing my UE MS build to perfection, to the point where now that I look at my items, I see nothing wrong with anything. I feel like everything is good enough to push a GR100 at least. People in top1000 leaderboards get in there with the same gear and worse stats. But, after about a minute in any GR100, regardless of the layout, it feels like my damage falls off entirely.I have been looking over my gear time and time again and I just don’t know what could be the possible cause of this. It’s really depressing, seeing everyone climb and me not being capable of doing so for reasons unknown to me. My dex is around 20,000 (19,700-something), sheet damage is 3.4mil, toughness is, I think, around 62.k (I can’t tell for sure, writing from phone).
It would be so nice if someone could check my profile and explain to me what is missing and possibly what I could change. Maybe I’m overlooking it?

Tired of this.

Hi. I hope you are approaching this with an open mind, because within the next few hours or so, you're going to get quite a bit of info regarding what's wrong with some of your gear/passives from a few here on the forums. At the same time, we're all going to want to know what D3 rituals and animal sacrifices you've done for that godly yangs.

While that's happening, I'm more interested in how you're playing your DH. Outside of gear, it's difficult to help you in that aspect without seeing a game play video or such to give some pointers.
01/30/2018 09:55 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
01/30/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Six
So, I have been pondering over this for a whole season. Since the beginning of this season. I have been gearing and gearing and gearing my UE MS build to perfection, to the point where now that I look at my items, I see nothing wrong with anything. I feel like everything is good enough to push a GR100 at least. People in top1000 leaderboards get in there with the same gear and worse stats. But, after about a minute in any GR100, regardless of the layout, it feels like my damage falls off entirely.I have been looking over my gear time and time again and I just don’t know what could be the possible cause of this. It’s really depressing, seeing everyone climb and me not being capable of doing so for reasons unknown to me. My dex is around 20,000 (19,700-something), sheet damage is 3.4mil, toughness is, I think, around 62.k (I can’t tell for sure, writing from phone).

Tired of this.

Hi. I hope you are approaching this with an open mind, because within the next few hours or so, you're going to get quite a bit of info regarding what's wrong with some of your gear/passives from a few here on the forums. At the same time, we're all going to know what D3 rituals and animal sacrifices you've done for that godly yangs.

While that's happening, I'm more interested in how you're playing your DH. Outside of gear, it's difficult to help you in that aspect without seeing a game play video or such to give some pointers.

Believe it or not, I am open to constructive criticism right now because I am just feeling desperate and annoyed beyond anything.
So yes, I will take any advice and try anything at this point.
To get that Yang’s, I just rerolled my other one until I felt blood coming out of my eyesockets, lol.

On another note, my DH playstyle may be the problem as well.
The way I play is:
I go into a rift, I stand as far as possible so that Zei’s does it’s magic, and run around, hitting em with evasive and sometimes vaulting out of elemental attacks/other ones.
However, I am almost certain that stutterstepping isn’t my strongest point. Or maybe it is? I don’t know, I wish I could stream this to someone who would understand.
My biggest issue seems to be when I am surrounded by a large number of mobs in tight-knit areas and have nowhere to go. It takes a while to kill stuff if I’m not far enough away, and by the time I actually do, I’m behind and become demotivated to continue.
I hope that explains it.
its hard to say without seeing, but that doesnt seem like a great start. if you are maxing out your zeis on, say, 4 enemies, it is worlds more valuable to have 10 more behind at max range and sacrifice some vs the 4 in front. definitely missing chd, ring and amulet are big spots. not sure why you've picked armor > vit in 2 places either. i did 104 on my 3rd try yesterday with mine and had the wrong passive on.
As an added comment to my post:
I would KILL for some UE MS coaching. Really.
Having played it for a whole season, I still don’t feel like I completely understand what to do/know any of the basic tricks other people in leaderboards use.
01/30/2018 10:01 PMPosted by Six
Believe it or not, I am open to constructive criticism right now because I am just feeling desperate and annoyed beyond anything.

Understood. We deal with that a lot here lol

To get that Yang’s, I just rerolled my other one until I felt blood coming out of my eyesockets, lol.

You all saw it here folks. If there's no blood gushing out of thine eye sockets, ye shall not receive the yang of the gods.

On a serious note, you are missing a lot of damage on focus/helm/amulet/quiver and toughness on bracers/pants/helm. You're correct when you said you have the right gear, it's the affixes on the gear that you need some guidance on. I'll let the others comment on that.

The way I play is:
I go into a rift, I stand as far as possible so that Zei’s does it’s magic, and run around, hitting em with evasive and sometimes vaulting out of elemental attacks/other ones.
However, I am almost certain that stutterstepping isn’t my strongest point. Or maybe it is? I don’t know, I wish I could stream this to someone who would understand.
My biggest issue seems to be when I am surrounded by a large number of mobs in tight-knit areas and have nowhere to go. It takes a while to kill stuff if I’m not far enough away, and by the time I actually do, I’m behind and become demotivated to continue.
I hope that explains it.

Bandicam is a great free software to use to record your own game play. Easy to set up and not taxing on the system. If stutter stepping is of interest and getting the most out of it, you should stop by my stream some time and follow.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20760847270

Happy Hunting!
01/30/2018 10:18 PMPosted by DiEoxidE

Understood. We deal with that a lot here lol

You all saw it here folks. If there's no blood gushing out of thine eye sockets, ye shall not receive the yang of the gods.

On a serious note, you are missing a lot of damage on focus/helm/amulet/quiver and toughness on bracers/pants/helm. You're correct when you said you have the right gear, it's the affixes on the gear that you need some guidance on. I'll let the others comment on that.

The way I play is:
I hope that explains it.

Bandicam is a great free software to use to record your own game play. Easy to set up and not taxing on the system. If stutter stepping is of interest and getting the most out of it, you should stop by my stream some time and follow.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20760847270

Happy Hunting!

Thank you for everything.
The Yang’s comment made me chuckle.

On another note, I am genuinely curious:
When you say i’m missing lots of damage on my helm and quiver, are you talking specifically about Multishot dmg%?
And, if you’re talking about toughness on pants and the rest, do you mean extra vitality?
01/30/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Six

When you say i’m missing lots of damage on my helm and quiver, are you talking specifically about Multishot dmg%?
And, if you’re talking about toughness on pants and the rest, do you mean extra vitality?

It appears those who usually comment on threads like this with a gear/affix checklist are sleeping. :P I'll give you a "brief" run down.

1. Not having MS damage on helm and quiver is pretty big and you're missing 30% of it. You may be able to get away with just rolling MS damage on quiver instead of cdr, but you'll lose 1.3 seconds of vengeance uptime. It'll be up to you whether you can survive in that window. As far as the helm, you'll need to farm for another one all together. Armor rolls is perhaps the worst affix you can get as a DH period because dex gives armor and thus the value diminishes quickly. A helm with MS and CC is preferred.

2. You're missing a possible 150% crit damage. Not having crit damage on amulet and the focus ring hurts you a lot. To give you more perspective, try running GR's without an emerald in your weapon. That's essentially what happening. A Hellfire ammy with fire damage/CHD/CC is preferred, but very hard to get. Most settle for a non-ancient one, but at the very least, shoot for one with both CHD and CC. CHD and CC is also a must for ring slots.

3. Your pants are unfortunate. dex/vit/all res is preferred. Again, the armor affix does you no good here for toughness. Vitality is a much better affix here. Eventually you'll want a new pair of pants.

4. Primal wraps (teach me the ways). Unfortunate that it didn't roll a good secondary, but it's ok. Here, vitality is a better roll for you than all res.

5. Change out the dex gems in your chest for diamonds. With as many augments as you have, the dex starts to become less valuable. The all res will be a better fit here, especially in the long run.

6. Passives. I wouldn't bother with tactical advantage for high GR's. You're going to want cull the weak (nice damage passive) and steady aim (also nice damage passive). With the above changes, you should be able to take a few more hits to remove awareness for these passives. If you find yourself too glassy still, take off ambush for awareness, as it's only a 12.7%~ damage increase over time vs the 20% from either steady aim or cull the weak.

These changes alone will make a huge difference in your damage as well as toughness.
01/30/2018 10:57 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
01/30/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Six

It appears those who usually comment on threads like this with a gear/affix checklist are sleeping. :P I'll give you a "brief" run down.

1. Not having MS damage on helm and quiver is pretty big and you're missing 30% of it. You may be able to get away with just rolling MS damage on quiver instead of cdr, but you'll lose 1.3 seconds of vengeance uptime. It'll be up to you whether you can survive in that window. As far as the helm, you'll need to farm for another one all together. Armor rolls is perhaps the worst affix you can get as a DH period because dex gives armor and thus the value diminishes quickly. A helm with MS and CC is preferred.

2. You're missing a possible 150% crit damage. Not having crit damage on amulet and the focus ring hurts you a lot. To give you more perspective, try running GR's without an emerald in your weapon. That's essentially what happening. A Hellfire ammy with fire damage/CHD/CC is preferred, but very hard to get. Most settle for a non-ancient one, but at the very least, shoot for one with both CHD and CC. CHD and CC is also a must for ring slots.

3. Your pants are unfortunate. dex/vit/all res is preferred. Again, the armor affix does you no good here for toughness. Vitality is a much better affix here. Eventually you'll want a new pair of pants.

4. Primal wraps (teach me the ways). Unfortunate that it didn't roll a good secondary, but it's ok. Here, vitality is a better roll for you than all res.

5. Change out the dex gems in your chest for diamonds. With as many augments as you have, the dex starts to become less valuable. The all res will be a better fit here, especially in the long run.

6. Passives. I wouldn't bother with tactical advantage for high GR's. You're going to want cull the weak (nice damage passive) and steady aim (also nice damage passive). With the above changes, you should be able to take a few more hits to remove awareness for these passives. If you find yourself too glassy still, take off ambush for awareness, as it's only a 12.7%~ damage increase over time vs the 20% from either steady aim or cull the weak.

These changes alone will make a huge difference in your damage as well as toughness.

Thank you kindly on elaborating. That makes a lot of sense. I will get to it next thing tomorrow.

Also, as a disclaimer: I, in fact, don’t use Tactical Advantage for pushing. The site prolly didn’t update it, but I actually run Cull the weak / Ambush / Awareness and something else. I forget, I’m tired. Ballistics obviously in the ammy.
I didn’t know ditching the diamonds was a good idea. Thank you
01/30/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Six
But, after about a minute in any GR100, regardless of the layout, it feels like my damage falls off entirely.

this kind of stood out to me, are you keeping your discipline full? The bonus is based on your current pool, not on your max pool.
I can't tell which follower you're using, but both are terribly geared. You should at least roll the right stuff onto them. But the overall problem here clearly isn't gear, since you're way over-geared for a GR100.

I think it's at least one of 4 things:
    Not keeping max disc
    F/R procs falling off during CoE cycle
    Not finding/creating density between CoE cycles
    Killing too many stragglers after CoE cycle

Most likely something is going wrong with the way you're using the CoE cycle.
01/30/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Six
Having played it for a whole season, I still don’t feel like I completely understand what to do/know any of the basic tricks other people in leaderboards use.

Watch how Wudijo plays on Youtube, gathers density then does his stutter-stepping magic.
01/30/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Six
Another thing to keep in mind is the UE 4-piece bonus which gives you 60% increased dmg and dmg reduction. It can be pretty easy to drop if you're not adept at keeping your distance from mobs.

But if your dmg "falls off entirely" it sounds most like you're not keeping your discipline (i.e. UE6 bonus) up. So I'd review the UE set bonuses if I were you. After that you can learn to manage your CoE cycle/stutterstep etc.
I have great gear, and can beat 90. Maybe mid 90 if great layout open map. 100 is way outside my league.
02/02/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Midnight
I have great gear, and can beat 90. Maybe mid 90 if great layout open map. 100 is way outside my league.

that is because you dont have great gear...