Diablo 4 (Next) - My vision.

Games & Technology
Hello guys, i was writing for some time all my ideas about a new Diablo game and how i would like it to be so check it out. I leave here the link to the document. :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iMbfDHBi_GywZTnX9fXLBzIihYA1B5kKRn2ptn1C4Xg/edit?usp=sharing

Hope you will enjoy it, feel free to comment, ask questions about it or bring new ideas i couldn’t think of right now. I will update this in time if i think of something new.

:D

UPDATE: I updated the link so now you can comment directly on my document also :)
This is a next level TLDR. Summarize your thoughts, if it can't fit in the forum post it's too long. Not many people have the time to read 25 pages.
Well, to be fair, he was looking for people to comment on it or give ideas to help enhance his concept. If you can't make the time to read it, OP doesn't have to make the time to read your opinions about something you didn't actually read about to form a proper opinion.

*EDIT* I downloaded a copy to check out when I have time. It may take a bit before I get that time though.
02/09/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Zeddicuus
Well, to be fair, he was looking for people to comment on it or give ideas to help enhance his concept. If you can't make the time to read it, OP doesn't have to make the time to read your opinions about something you didn't actually read about to form a proper opinion.

*EDIT* I downloaded a copy to check out when I have time. It may take a bit before I get that time though.

K, you might take the time to read it, but 99% of people won't. 25 pages is ridiculous. My advice was so he would get his opinions read. Because as is, most people won't read this thing.

Stop white knighting.
02/09/2018 02:49 PMPosted by AshyLarry
This is a next level TLDR. Summarize your thoughts, if it can't fit in the forum post it's too long. Not many people have the time to read 25 pages.

You think that the documentation for a new game would be only 25 pages?
That document IS summarized, i speak about everything or almost everything i would want to see in the new game with the least amount of details possible that would make you understand what i mean.

And i don't pretend the people to read or answer to this immediately, it took some time for it to write it so it will take some time to be read.

[quote="207601389816"]
K, you might take the time to read it, but 99% of people won't. 25 pages is ridiculous. My advice was so he would get his opinions read. Because as is, most people won't read this thing.

Stop white knighting.

What i wrote is for people who love Diablo and love to discuss ideas and have a good imagination, so if that people are only 1% I'm totally fine with it. I don't need comments from people who don't have time to read, because they probably wouldn't have time to understand also and to discuss this.
I'm not forcing or begging anyone to read this so it's useless to write here about how long it is and how no one will read this, just avoid this topic :)

Cheers!
02/09/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Zeddicuus

Thank you. It's fine, i'll be waiting :)
wow.. how many time did you take to write all of these?
I did not read everything but I approve
02/10/2018 02:31 AMPosted by Schyzo
wow.. how many time did you take to write all of these?
I did not read everything but I approve

I don't remember the time spent only writing because i did many pauses and i was always thinking about some aspects of the game, so i went rewriting something when i didn't feel it was right and so on. In total i spent maybe a week :)

Now i'm writing about the Cube, i forgot about it XD
Great post. I enjoyed reading it. There aren't many things I strongly disagree with. Here are some comments:

Having merceneries be player-designed or copies of player characters seems very logical; why not put the time and effort of players designing their characters to use? Love the idea of playing with copies of your own characters, it would be one way to try combinations before grouping with other players. The idea of using player-designed characters in general whether you could meet them as enemies or allies has potential.

Maybe not have monolithic classes but let players design characters with more flexibility. Instead of having class-bound items or stats or skills, have stat requirements for stats or item or skills. An alternative to picking a class upon character creation would be to join a class after some gameplay. This would be more of a guild than a class and players could switch guilds: think of the system in the game "Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol".

Nice to see lots of elements: having element-based attacks gives them flavor instead of just going for larger numbers like we have in diablo 3.

I like the idea of hidden stats on characters or items: allows a sense of discovery on the in-game side while the player is discovering how to play mechanically on the out-of-game side.

I prefer the idea of an adept of their class being able to realize (whether by showing stats hidden to the less adept or being able to use stats unusable by the less adept) the full potential of item more than item drops themselves inherently being more likely to be useful for the class being played.

I like player-to-player trading. Maybe a marketplace would be appropriate. Something that makes the trade auditable and public and gives the player recourse if they get scammed; like a reputation system.

There are alternatives to seasons. Consider leagues and other modes from path of exile. There is room for more creativity than competition defined only in terms of a limitation of timeframe. Different parameters of game modes could be explored but ultimately, I think that parameters wherein the actions of the participants affect the game world as a whole are interesting. Think of altering the game world by altering the past or opening and closing rifts out in the game world; the point is that players would be more invested if their efforts during seasons and such contributed to the game world's history rather than just simply stopping at the end of a season.

Good point about music. Video games typically are experienced through 2 physical senses and visual often gets much more attention then sound.

Nobody could claim players don't care about the franchise with the volume of posts about diablo 3, which is sinking like the titanic, and posts like this come up.
02/10/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Morath
Great post. I enjoyed reading it. There aren't many things I strongly disagree with. Here are some comments:

Having merceneries be player-designed or copies of player characters seems very logical; why not put the time and effort of players designing their characters to use? Love the idea of playing with copies of your own characters, it would be one way to try combinations before grouping with other players. The idea of using player-designed characters in general whether you could meet them as enemies or allies has potential.

Yes, i thought about this mainly because of 2 reasons:
1) Fun. It's always more fun to see different character play together, be it single or multiplayer. Of course multiplayer maybe is better, but only if you have always some friends that have your same free time to play and also they don't suck at it. So in absence of that, this would be a good compromise.
2) Better use of items. If the items that drop with loot are too random and from all the possible classes, there would be a lot of useless items for our class that we would just sell, destroy or throw away. But if we will play with a group of AI controlled character from other classes we would have a better chance to use all the items that drop with the loot.

Maybe not have monolithic classes but let players design characters with more flexibility. Instead of having class-bound items or stats or skills, have stat requirements for stats or item or skills. An alternative to picking a class upon character creation would be to join a class after some gameplay. This would be more of a guild than a class and players could switch guilds: think of the system in the game "Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol".

Yes, i thought about this from the perspective of having many classes. Because it would be really hard to justify why only a mage class should have certain magic spells, like Frostbolt or Firebolt for example, and other mage classes not. Or why only a melee class should have a Slash attack and other melee classes not. There should be some common ground between them, especially at the beginning. I think class specific abilities should be available at a later stage, or only a few of them at the beginning. And another difference between the common abilities should be how a class evolves them or specialize them. So i have this 2-layered aspect of the classes, one with some common abilities based on the class type, and other with class specific abilities and also a bridge between them by having the common abilities evolve differently based on the class.
This system of course have sense only if we have many classes like i thought, it wouldn't make sense in a game like D3 with only 5 (now 7) classes where almost all of them are very unique and different one from another.
I should check about the game you said, i never heard about it :)

Nice to see lots of elements: having element-based attacks gives them flavor instead of just going for larger numbers like we have in diablo 3.

I kind of dislike when there are abilities that practically do the same !@#$, but to make us believe they are different the put different colors and names in them. Especially if it's an element with a very specific nature. Why don't we give them a special effect that would set the element a part and make it useful in a precise situation?

I like the idea of hidden stats on characters or items: allows a sense of discovery on the in-game side while the player is discovering how to play mechanically on the out-of-game side.

Well, i don't want ALL to be hidden of course :)) The spell tree should be visible, the active spells i mean. We have to know at least something about how we would like to develop and what we would like to learn. But also it would be interesting to have some mystery around our hidden, passive powers and make them evolve according to our play style. This would be also a nice metaphor representation with my "roots" idea for the passive spells :D

I prefer the idea of an adept of their class being able to realize (whether by showing stats hidden to the less adept or being able to use stats unusable by the less adept) the full potential of item more than item drops themselves inherently being more likely to be useful for the class being played.

I like player-to-player trading. Maybe a marketplace would be appropriate. Something that makes the trade auditable and public and gives the player recourse if they get scammed; like a reputation system.

Yes, a marketplace in the game should be a must. Be it in a game mode, or also out of the game as it was in D3, even if i would prefer a in game trading more. The important thing is to do this well, not like in D3.

There are alternatives to seasons. Consider leagues and other modes from path of exile. There is room for more creativity than competition defined only in terms of a limitation of timeframe. Different parameters of game modes could be explored but ultimately, I think that parameters wherein the actions of the participants affect the game world as a whole are interesting. Think of altering the game world by altering the past or opening and closing rifts out in the game world; the point is that players would be more invested if their efforts during seasons and such contributed to the game world's history rather than just simply stopping at the end of a season.

I agree, i called them seasons only because they are called like this in D3 now. But there should be more purpose to them than a always the same set of quest to do each season where nothing else changes at all a part the set reward...

Good point about music. Video games typically are experienced through 2 physical senses and visual often gets much more attention then sound.

Nobody could claim players don't care about the franchise with the volume of posts about diablo 3, which is sinking like the titanic, and posts like this come up.

Well, i for one, care a lot. Even if i have things to criticize or to be disappointing about, in the end, this is still one of my childhood games i fell in love to. There are still more things i like than i dislike, so i would love for it just to evolve and to be better, it's one of the few PC games i still play now in my adult age. I don't have so much time to play everything out there so at least the few games i like i want to be the best :D
If i can ever get any free time ill give it a read but from Morath post it looks to be a good one.
02/12/2018 01:12 AMPosted by JTMaian
If i can ever get any free time ill give it a read but from Morath post it looks to be a good one.
If you like Diablo or fantasizing about how to create a new arpg, you will enjoy reading this and your time will fly while doing it XD
I'm waiting for your review :D
Soon, i'll add something new to the file and reorganize the content, the last part especially, stay tuned :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iMbfDHBi_GywZTnX9fXLBzIihYA1B5kKRn2ptn1C4Xg/edit?usp=sharing

Ok, i updated now the document. Added new info about the Hideout, some game modes and game options, and also the thing i like the most - the Smart Stash <3

Check it out and leave a comment. :)
I'd think about better itemization systems (which would reduce item clutter) before better organization systems since item clutter is the symptom of the bad itemization system disease in diablo 3. Nevertheless, I'm not against better organization options; they certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I've also checked out some of the hideouts made in path of exile. The devs did a really good job making object placement tools in their game available to players so that the player almost feels like a game developer themself (although you need to pay to access the assets). Some hideouts are quite beautiful or elaborate.

Thanks for the update.
02/20/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Morath
I'd think about better itemization systems (which would reduce item clutter) before better organization systems since item clutter is the symptom of the bad itemization system disease in diablo 3. Nevertheless, I'm not against better organization options; they certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I've also checked out some of the hideouts made in path of exile. The devs did a really good job making object placement tools in their game available to players so that the player almost feels like a game developer themself (although you need to pay to access the assets). Some hideouts are quite beautiful or elaborate.

Thanks for the update.

Well i for one play both of them, Diablo and POE, and i lose a lot of time trying just to organize everything so for me an upgraded, intelligent Stash would be a great addition and evolution to this kind of games :)
I'm also think to add a part about the possible storylines in D4. Should i add it in this file or do a different topic about it? :)
(due to a forum bug I replied to this topic instead of the intended one)

Anyways, about storylines: yeah I don't see why they wouldn't fit into this document and I would enjoy reading storyline ideas.
02/26/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Morath
(due to a forum bug I replied to this topic instead of the intended one)

Anyways, about storylines: yeah I don't see why they wouldn't fit into this document and I would enjoy reading storyline ideas.

Ok, i'll write something about it then :D
I updated the link so now you can comment on my document directly also.