Request that Armory save Paragon point distributions.

General Discussion
I have five different builds saved for a single character using the Armory, which is an amazingly convenient addition to the game. The problem is that occasionally I find halfway through a play session that I have my Paragon point distribution set up for the last build I played, not the build I'm playing. I don't forget every time, but I forget enough to say it's regularly.

As it turns out, there is a reason the Devs have not done this yet (as they pointed out only on a recent live video Q&A), and those reasons were summed up by Maskraider later on in this thread, which I have repeated here:
    • The game can't judge how new Paragon points you earn should be allocated.
    • As different builds have different preferences, the game cannot allocate them randomly.
    • If not allocated, players may forget to allocate them, and they may blame the game.
    • Players would need to allocate the new points themselves and then save the build again every time they get new points.

Perhaps at the next patch the developers can include a little piece of memory for the Paragon point distribution along with everything else about the build, so that I can set up the character the way I want, save it, and when I go back, I can just click and play.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Now, for your reading enjoyment, here is the remainder of the original rant.

This feature has been requested pretty much ever since patch 2.5.0 was introduced, and we started playing with the Armory. One of the aggravations for me in several of these posts, is player KiWeN, who responds quite often:
01/29/2018 02:44 PMPosted by KiWeN
No, there's a reson as to why the armory doesn't save paragon points and it makes absolute sense
11/23/2017 01:33 AMPosted by KiWeN
It won't, as paragon points are earned progressively, and would be a hazzle to constantly save
08/19/2017 03:40 PMPosted by KiWeN
They have explained why it doesn't do that.
Here is another request for the feature, but I guess KiWeN missed it.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20753747823

This is the only thing Blizzard ever says about the Armory, in the Patch 2.5.0 introduction, but they don't mention Paragon points or the absence of the ability to store their distribution with the build.
New Feature: Armory
  • Players may now save up to five different builds per character using the Armory
  • This new feature can be found in the town hub within each Act
  • Saving a build in the Armory will snapshot your character’s current gear, socketed gems, active and passive skills, and Kanai’s Cube powers
  • Equipping a saved armory build will automatically swap items and gear between the character and stash
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20635663/patch-250-now-live-3-21-2017

After searching through all the patch notes from Patch 2.5.0 forward, sifting through the Patch 2.5.0 now live announcement, and doing a pretty extensive Google search on posts that might have been made by tech support personnel or other Blizzard associates, I was unable to find any reference to anything Blizzard said about the reasoning behind Paragon point distribution being excluded from the Armory build saves, as our expert KiWeN incessantly insists. In fact, the only thing Blizzard ever said about Paragon points was that they can now be assigned 100 at a time by holding the control key while you click.

I hope that our resident authority KiWeN can shed some light on the source of his information.

So, I reiterate my request that this feature be introduced in an upcoming patch, because forgetting to reassign Paragon points when I change to one of the five different builds I have on a particular character is annoying, and in hard-core play, that oversight could very well be the cause of death before it is discovered.
Dev did talk about it in a Q&A YouTube video. Try search on YouTube.
My understanding (not the original words) is:
- the game can't judge how new paragon points you earn should be allocated.
- As different build has different preference, the game cannot allocate them randomly.
- If not allocated, players may forget to allocate them, and they may blame the game.
- Turn out that players need to allocate the new points themselves and save the build again everytime they get new points.

Therefore, they gave up the idea of saving para points in builds. And add the 100 points feature, instead.
Might change the subject to a request, your post is that, not a question.
The very reason makes a lot of sense.

If paragon points was saved in the Armory, you'd have to re-save everytime you earned more points, or whenever you were about to change setup. And that's just unnecessary hazle.

Second of all, past the point of paragon level 800 (which isn't that big of a deal anyway) the only change is whether or not you dump into Resource or not. The other part being Main Stat vs Vitality but that's not something the developers really take to account.

It just becomes easier to relocate those points yourself and try out what actually works for your setup, and spend points as you earn them, instead of leaving them unassigned when you swap with the Armory because the template of where they should go isn't updated for your new level because you've gained so many. So it's easier for you to remember to re-allocate points, rather than allocating gained points.
Just watch those gems..Armory known for eating/deleting them.
I agree with StoneCold. Let the armory save our paragon point allocation. Afterall, to "resave" is just a click away. Besides, we are not gaining tens or hundreds of paragon points in a short time's play to make a big difference in our main stat anyway.
02/07/2018 02:37 AMPosted by XxTaiPanxX

I just got back into d3 and I noticed that when I saved a build in the armory and then when I would later reequip it my gems would be gone? they are still in the armor and weapons in my stash before I equip them. Is this a common occurence?
02/07/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Shishkabob
02/07/2018 02:37 AMPosted by XxTaiPanxX

I just got back into d3 and I noticed that when I saved a build in the armory and then when I would later reequip it my gems would be gone? they are still in the armor and weapons in my stash before I equip them. Is this a common occurence?

When you equip from the Armory it will fill all slots with the highest level gem of the type saved. So if you increased from Royal to Flawless Royal those would go in. If you had two Bane of the Trapped gems at different levels the highest one would get equipped. The gear that you had on will have all gems un-socketed and can end up in random free spots, USUALLY in the toon inventory. IMO the loss bug is from full stash and or toon inventory leaving the gems nowhere to go.
if you change the item that had the gem in the armory dont know that you changed cdr to chc to the armory the item is missing its not its in there i just needs saveing with the new stats
02/07/2018 01:33 AMPosted by KiWeN
Yup have to agree. And I would not have been so hard on you had you repeated those "reasons" like Maskraider did:

• As different build have different preferences, the game cannot allocate them randomly.
• If not allocated, players may forget to allocate them, and they may blame the game.
• Players would need to allocate the new points themselves and then save the build again every time they get new points.

I should say, and I think I will edit the original post to do so, is that this problem is inversely related to Paragon level; the lower your paragon, the more widely you might distribute your points, until P800, when there is no choice, and all other properties are maxed.

But it seems the allocation problems are all programmatical in nature, and the two negative results of having Paragon points saved with the build would be that, 1) new points would be unallocated and shown as new, and, 2) the player would have to reallocate points and resave the build.

However, after Paragon 800, there are only two things to do with your points: main stat or Vitality. At that point the game could "make a guess" at allocating new points based on the current majority allocation, and allocate new points automatically. Below P800, I think the inconvenience of having to resave a build after I allocate new points would be preferable to going into a fight with the points allocated improperly. After P800, it would only make a difference in one scenario, where with the Shadow's Mantle build I will want all my Core points in Vitality, while with all other builds, I want them in Dex.

So, 100 at a time is a good compromise, and thanks to Maskraider for pointing out the source.

PS: This case points a finger at Blizz for poor dissemination of information, while the other three are pointed back at me for doing bad research.
I don't see why these reasons present such a problem.

02/06/2018 08:28 PMPosted by StoneCold

• As different builds have different preferences, the game cannot allocate them randomly.

So don't allocate them--just leave any surplus points unallocated and display the blue cross button which normally appears upon gaining a Paragon level, to remind the player that they should allocate unused points. If the current allocation includes the complete allocation of the build being loaded (i.e. fully overlaps it), then another option would be to keep the current allocation.

02/06/2018 08:28 PMPosted by StoneCold

The player only needs to save before changing to a different build, not every time a point is gained. Same with getting a new piece of equipment or changing a gem. There is no greater hassle presented than having to manually reassign all of one's points.
It is a big problem at lower paragon levels but not so much once you have maxed out all other points except core.
02/07/2018 07:26 PMPosted by StoneCold
02/07/2018 01:33 AMPosted by KiWeN
Yup have to agree. And I would not have been so hard on you

It's not that I'm against everything of it, and I do see the idea of the suggestion. But given how the game is, it simply doesn't work.
Allocating the new points you have gained manually is still less of a hassle than allocating all the points again manually every time you change spec.
06/09/2019 03:48 AMPosted by Softan
Allocating the new points you have gained manually is still less of a hassle than allocating all the points again manually every time you change spec.
This. When we save, we can know what a build is capable of with its current configuration, and that's the snapshot we intended to save. It shouldn't assign new points, allocating according to the save would mean it keeps up to the standard and never behind -- we can be responsible for future allocation, but we shouldn't be caught off guard without the basic assignment being in place.

When you join a game and a GR is initiated, if you run to the armory to change your build, you cannot even click the confirmation in the paragon window because the GR dialog is in the way, you have to cancel the GR, re-assign, re-initiate GR invite. (Once I tried to get around this by hitting Enter after re-assigning my paragon points when the GR dialog was up, assuming that because the paragon window was the last one I interacted with then it should have focus, but if I remember correctly, it just accepted the GR and I entered with a reset paragon panel.)

It's just counterintuitive to saving builds.
(Not happy about contributing to a necro'd thread, but...)

How hard would it be to have a "default" toggle next to the paragon selections so you only have to revisit the dialog when you gain more than 200 paragon (typically, though some builds may have a specific amount they need in a given selection so those builds might have to be a little more observant than that).

I'm also not a fan of "we couldn't think of the best way, so we just let the worst way happen in its stead" plans...
Why the bump? But okay I guess. That doesn't sound bad as an idea.
Armory. Gems NOM NOM NOM. Eat they deleted.
Armory useless. Thanks for nothing bliz.
i always use all my paragon points, and except doing a set dungeon never need to reset for any reason or alocate them in some special way
06/11/2019 10:33 AMPosted by jeetkundo
i always use all my paragon points, and except doing a set dungeon never need to reset for any reason or alocate them in some special way

That might be the case for you, but there are situations where you need to reallocate. For example if you play solo a HoTA Barb, you do not want the RCR (to maximize Life per Fury spent) and you might want to distribute your points between Str and Vit. When you play with a group and switch to a zBarb spec, you now want the RCR and you're mostly better off putting all the para points into Vit rather than Str.
And yes, this is a real-life example in which I would forget to reallocate the points half of the time.