I want a vanilla copy of D3

General Discussion
The Blizzard Shop has just the base game for sale too.
03/08/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Duckypoo
03/08/2018 09:31 AMPosted by UngivenFame
The game sucks now. They completely destroyed what could have been salvaged.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.
Opinions can't be wrong...

...It just sucked after playing thru it like 3 times then trying to make it into a game at endgame like D2. Really glad they came up with adventure mode and 2000+ hrs later and I am still playing. Can't wait to see adventure mode in D4

Yup. Back then almost all your gold went to repairs so being broke was common. Legendary drops hardly happened. Set pieces were crap and often worse than yellows. You would get one shotted by the little green booger guys that run at you and explode. Farming diablo sucked because the game would end 30 seconds after you killed him. etc etc. The game is in a far better place today than it ever was in classic.
At least the set and legendary items didn't funnel you into using a handful of selected skills. None of the flaws with Vanilla have been addressed in any meaningful fashion. Same problems exist and new ones on top of that.

The problem wasn't dodge it was elite affix mechanics, we got rid of dodge and elites still have crappy mechanics like dune dervish dropping spinning laser beams. ETC. Emeralds still dominate weapon sockets, and sockets dominate weapon power and so blizzard adds a feature so all weapons have sockets (essentially). Crit dmg is still king, but now CDR is also king.

When I say I want D3V back, its not because it was so excellent. Its because I'm frustrated by all the "what was done and shouldn't have been - and what shouldn't have been done but was."
03/08/2018 03:24 PMPosted by UngivenFame
At least the set and legendary items didn't funnel you into using a handful of selected skills. None of the flaws with Vanilla have been addressed in any meaningful fashion. Same problems exist and new ones on top of that.

This is about the only part of Vanilla D3 that I would almost lament losing. Because it's not as if vanilla D3 actually offered a wide range of functional builds either. It's just that instead of it being about legendary items and set bonuses, it was determined by the most effective skills with the best runes. In other words, you were still pigeon-holed into certain builds because skills and runes weren't well balanced then either.
03/08/2018 10:13 AMPosted by LostSoul
Vanilla D3 is gone
That's not 100% true. Like I said earlier, if you manage to get yourself a last-gen console copy from early in the production cycle, you'll be pretty close to vanilla D3 with the original difficulties and such.

The console version had much better drops than the PC version at the time due to the absence of the auction house dictating what was droppable at a given time, but it's the best they can get.

You're correct in that the 1.0 version of D3 on PC is gone, but the original difficulty modes can still be played on consoles.
03/08/2018 03:53 PMPosted by LostSoul
03/08/2018 03:24 PMPosted by UngivenFame

This is about the only part of Vanilla D3 that I would almost lament losing. Because it's not as if vanilla D3 actually offered a wide range of functional builds either. It's just that instead of it being about legendary items and set bonuses, it was determined by the most effective skills with the best runes. In other words, you were still pigeon-holed into certain builds because skills and runes weren't well balanced then either.
I don't disagree with that at all. The point I was trying to get at is that they completely abandoned all attempts to actually balance skills and we are just as pigeonholed as ever, more so.

Skills are still unbalanced. Now skills are completely worthless without the appropriate legendary or set items. No praise deserved there. At best, we've had lateral movements - no forward progression whatsoever. Its frustrating to see so many changes and none of them addressing the fundamental flaws. Like putting foundation (girl face powder) on a third degree burn.
I still dont understand why I stuck with this game from the beginning. From vanilla. The first character I roled was a monk and I played him into inferno act one with a one hand sword with 500 or 550 dps. About the 30th time I played through inferno act 1, I looted my first one hand weapon with more than 750 dps.

I promptly headed for act 2 where I learned the true meaning of demoralization at the hands of a freekin wasp. I wouldn't wish vanilla d3 on my worst enemy, not even on my ex wife.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.
Opinions can't be wrong...

Lol. No, opinions can and often are wrong.

ex: If you have an opinion that earth is flat, you are wrong.
03/09/2018 05:42 AMPosted by Duckypoo
...Opinions can't be wrong...

You don't even know what an opinion is...
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You don't even know what an opinion is...

I know exactly what an opinion is. Clearly you do not. My example is a perfect definition of an opinion. Here is the definition to help you since you obviously need it.

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
03/09/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Duckypoo
...You don't even know what an opinion is...

I know exactly what an opinion is. Clearly you do not. My example is a perfect definition of an opinion. Here is the definition to help you since you obviously need it.

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Opinions are like A holes. Everyone has one. Fact of life actually. ;P
03/09/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Duckypoo
...You don't even know what an opinion is...

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən
noun
The earth being round or flat is something objective. If we both are looking at the earth from space, we would both conclude that the earth was round - else one of us has a concept of "round" that differs from that which is universally considered to be "round." Its objective and we can see it.

Opinions are subjective. There is absolutely no objective facts that can be presented to prove that the game is good or bad - we can only say "I like this and not that." The fact that I might be the only one holding the opinion that the game is less good now than it was in the past, does not make my opinion wrong - it merely puts it in the minority. A minority opinion is not a wrong opinion.

The earth is flat is not an opinion. Its something that can be seen with the senses and be objectively verified (or discredited). You might say it is an incorrect assertion. It certainly isn't an opinion because one can't have opinions about things that aren't objectively verifiable or discreditable.
03/09/2018 03:52 PMPosted by DTMAce
Opinions are like A holes. Everyone has one.

And they all stink.
03/08/2018 10:13 AMPosted by LostSoul
Vanilla D3 is gone
That's not 100% true. Like I said earlier, if you manage to get yourself a last-gen console copy from early in the production cycle, you'll be pretty close to vanilla D3 with the original difficulties and such.

The console version had much better drops than the PC version at the time due to the absence of the auction house dictating what was droppable at a given time, but it's the best they can get.

You're correct in that the 1.0 version of D3 on PC is gone, but the original difficulty modes can still be played on consoles.

is it possible to buy it?
...That's not 100% true. Like I said earlier, if you manage to get yourself a last-gen console copy from early in the production cycle, you'll be pretty close to vanilla D3 with the original difficulties and such.

is it possible to buy it?

Check Amazon or GameStop for a PS3/360 version.

I still have my Vanilla copy my sister got me for my bday years back.