yellow gear pvp testing results

Brawling
the set up :
-forge all equipment at the black smith (forged 6 attribute vs droped 3-4)
-have regular gems equipped , ( not legendary)
-remove paragon points
-set all cube items to something neutral or your choice ( i had, sever, broken crown, kymbo)

with a set up like that , it usually removes the 1 shot aspect of the game, the player gets to use different skills that would otherwise never be useful, different stats like control impairing resist gain a lot of value , specially vs cc heavy classes like wd .

we did had a good amount of fun about it and will be running more of those soon i hope , int he mean time ill prepare one of each class equipped with only yellow gears and gems and see how it is. we onyl tested wiz, barb, dh, wd but so far so good.
What do you do against someone who just builds purely defensively with cooldown reduction, life regen, all resist, life%, vitality, etc. and couples it with skills and passives which make the character invincible for a time or restore large amounts of life?

Also, there is no way to stop cheaters from secretly putting in paragon points into certain stats without being directly noticeable. This yellow-gear-only setup will probably only work among friends or honorable players who don't stack too much defense.
02/15/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Iria
What do you do against someone who just builds purely defensively with cooldown reduction, life regen, all resist, life%, vitality, etc. and couples it with skills and passives which make the character invincible for a time or restore large amounts of life?

Also, there is no way to stop cheaters from secretly putting in paragon points into certain stats without being directly noticeable. This yellow-gear-only setup will probably only work among friends or honorable players who don't stack too much defense.

We havent tried super tanky biulds matchups yet but it is in our plan to probably today or this weekend.

Given the nature were only going to do it among honest player since it be to easy to cheat. We were glad to find that emerald wers not always the solutions for wespons too. In some cases the extra hp amethyst provided were just enough to get the kill.
Dual handed may also like double diamond since players are considered elites.
02/15/2018 01:27 PMPosted by MySelf
We havent tried super tanky biulds matchups yet but it is in our plan to probably today or this weekend.

This is just conjecture since I personally haven't tried with the rules you proposed, but based on my experience, it will stalemate quickly.

I did a few tests using no set items (everything else allowed) and it quickly led to a stalemate! My friend and I tested a full legendary item version of the Shadow 6 build with Karlei's + Holy Point Shot and we couldn't kill each other due to our tanky gear and skill choices. I have about 2000 less paragon than he does and I could still hold my own albeit he did have the advantage. We also were standing in each other's face throwing Impales at each other!

Now imagine if we played an evasive hit-and-run style, there would be no chance to kill each other ever!
We have to keep in mind leg provide a significant boost in dps and toughness , so im thinking even if someone tried a stall build , it may not be as invincible if geared with yellow and deprived of leg effect via the cube.

I should be able to bring further result in the weekend.

So far the "average" dps and toughness seen to stand around 300-600k / 3-6M.

It seen to be finding a balance in one's stat. That my first impression anyway
hey MySelf add me Schyzo#11158 i tried pvp with the things you mention and it was really cool i can make a pvp set again and try it with more ppl
Right here in the PvP community of Brawling you come up with basically the same idea that I had a few moments ago but beat me to it by a few months. A system where if all of those that want an enjoyable PvP match that isn't a one shot fest would work just fine. Something that doesn't take Blizz to do a lot of work to make changes just to have a decent PvP.
no worries lol,
ive just added schyzo today and well be probably testing some more things , so i guess we might successfully revive PVP if all goes well . im currently looking for any biuld that would break the game balance wise, next up in line is a thorn necro. and maybe sometihng else, afterward i guess everything would had proven good!
here are what we found after the lastest test we ran
we tested a Thorn necro , a life on hit basic attack monk and a all in crusader.

Thorn : in this case even if thorn is dangerous, its not impossible to work around, with good timing and proper burst its no problem, i wanted to test out the necro specifically since hes the only one with a 200% thorn multiplier X number of skeletons. schyzo admitted it was tough to work around but manage to get me by tweaking some skills and got many kill on the necro which i was happy since of the remaining one this one was the one i was fearing the most would might break the ''balance'' we were trying to achieve.

life on hit monk : it was a monk based on endurance and out surviving the opponent, amethysts in both weapons and the 4 basic attacks to increase the damage synergy, at first its damage was around 250k but after using each skills and passive the base attack would go beyond 600K. that one again, would not be able to ''break the game as it could also be defeated consistently with proper skill uses.

all out crusader : schyzo had prepare a crusader with different build and the last one to be tested was his ''all-out'' build in which he used all the big skills and outliving his opponent to use them again if they survived. it was a good and solid build, consistent as well. i managed to get a few kills on it but not as much as i would had wanted. im thinking it has probably to do the high burst of is build and the fact that monk and the wizard ( AoE control) i tried it against was a maybe not the best ''counter'' for the set up i had tried.

marquise vs flawless : schyzo also suggested we tried marquise gems so after a few rounds with flawless gems we switch to marquises. oddly enough we expected the damage to be more balance but in this case the characters because more fragile, the damage provided from flawless in term of power was bigger yes but the surviability that also came with it much more adapted.
here is what some stat may look like ( not accurate only approx.)
marquise : 400k/4M toughness
flawless : 550K / 9M toughness

the overall seemed to be successful but i had one worry regarding the situation, is the possible dominance of ''all out build'' however it does come with the cost of long CD so i guess it does balance out in the end since we were thinking of a 10 kills to win.

keep in mind we tried to exploit certain builds as much as possible to see if it would potentially break the balance and nothing seemed too out of balance, yes out of everything we had tried few build were tougher to work around but not impossible to kill even with 2 build with high surviability, one is going to out survive the other at one point unless they both had sacrifice so much of their own damage they literaly cant kill anything, at that point its more of a no one truly wins scenario.

skill change : the fact that one can change skill on the go was a nice thing i like in case you needed to adapt.

skill limitation : schyzo had an idea were we might have to limit build to only 1 skill per tier to avoid possible dominance of ''all out'' builds like his crusader. however as much agree with the logical side of it, doing so would completely shut down certain builds certain characters have were for instant like the monk, using multiple skill of the same tier boosted more of the players stat.
i guess this one is still on debate but i think it was maybe a question of match up as i think certain builds may have advantage over others.

Stats: this is by far my favorite part.
since the concept of pvp involves only using yellow gears, unlike sets or legendary , one has to chose and sacrifice something out of it. for instance, if one tries a glass canon build as good as it sound but comes with a heavy price, if the flayer gets damaged, its most likely the player will die in 1-2 hits. going only the trifecta of stat sounds good also on paper but the player may lack other skills like life regen which we found was quite important in this , at this points, so many type of stats become relevant, even the ''control to impairing effect'' becomes so important when facing stun heavy build since if the player has non , some stun can last for over 5 seconds. all in all, i loved the experience as you get to test your imagination with different builds to work around and having a well rounded character may be preferable in certain cases.( which is exactly what scyzo had, solid in many diverse way but not specialized stat wise in anything particular.)

overall : we had some good fun out of it, and having more players like 1v1v1 of a 4 way fight would probably be even more fun.
once thing i would love would be if the maps we slightly larger and each act had their own distinct arena like if act 2 had magda's boss room and so on... but i guess that would only happen if blizz's project director ever put any effort into this. i guess form now well try some more pvp and we maybe get to figure out which build works better vs some and what each class can do to over come their counters.
great summary MySelf and it was very fun, but there are more things to test, we tried different skills and stuff, in my opinion a thorns damage is very strong even few items with thorns can damage significantly and a full build made with thorns is 1 shot = dead. Also im still thinking about the difference marquise vs flawless gems, another thing too add is to find a balance between toughness and critical damage, too many criticals (chc and chd) are not good even if you have low stats-dps because double or triple your damage (even if you have low weapon damage) can overcome your health, so this depend of the player if we want be super tanky low dps, high dps squishy or balanced, although there is many things to test so if someone wants to test builds and skills can join us telling us here and we will add you
03/29/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Schyzo
a full build made with thorns is 1 shot = dead.

keep in mind thats exactly why we tried a thorn necro specifically,
200% thorn damage X 7 skeletons = 1'400% total thorn damage

you did died instantly when using AoE in my skeleton for understandable reasons.

if any character i was thinking about could break the game using thorn , i was picturing him for that very reason. and once you bypassed the minions, you didn't seemed to have much trouble killing me afterward lol
after further testing we have finally came to the conclusion that yellow gear PvP is a balance system.

we even tested high crit builds vs non-crit builds and so far not a single build managed to be unbeatable, every single build we tried had strength and weakness.
Thorn for instance, fair quite good vs rapid damage guild with high attack per seconds, but fair quite poorly vs DoT builds, its all about finding a way to create a balanced build with the stats that works for you.