Game is now unplayable

Technical Support
Been playing this game since launch. Lately the lag with casting spells has made it completely unplayable. Hitting a hot key and having nothing happen while being swarmed by enemies = instant death.

My connection is fine. Graphics and the rest of my system more than meet the requirements. And testing out the 1234 keys outside of the application is completely fine, so it's not my keyboard. It is something on Blizzard's end.

Not sure if anyone else is having issues.
I'll bite. Have you called your ISP and told them that you're having connection issues, and whether you're not sure about sueing an AAA title game development company or ask them what's wrong with your connection?
Here's a hint to your problem. If you don't see thirty other threads on the topic then the problem is not with Blizzard.
This should be moved to the tech support forum.
If you are on Mac, turn off graphic options in game one by one until you find one that causes it.

For me it was shadows option I think, went from slow to superfast.
North America had 2 servers. A decent to good one, and a laggy one. Without explanation or notification, blizzard shut down the decent to good server and left North America with the laggy server. It's not your ISP, computer, or connection, it's blizzard. At times, it is better to either play on the South Amercian server or the Australian server.

Too funny. Stating a fact and I get down voted.
02/17/2018 07:02 AMPosted by naksiloth
I'll bite. Have you called your ISP and told them that you're having connection issues, and whether you're not sure about sueing an AAA title game development company or ask them what's wrong with your connection?

What are you even talking about? Who said anything about suing anyone?
02/17/2018 10:19 AMPosted by hesher
North America had 2 servers. A decent to good one, and a laggy one. Without explanation or notification, blizzard shut down the decent to good server and left North America with the laggy server. It's not your ISP, computer, or connection, it's blizzard. At times, it is better to either play on the South Amercian server or the Australian server.

I am sorry but that is not a fact which is probably why you got downvoted. Diablo 3 for the Americas US area is hosted out of the LA datacenter that also hosts their other titles. There has never been another datacenter location for D3 for the US.

There used are other datacenter locations for WoW and some of the other games, but not D3.

There have been some other major changes to how Blizzard handles connections, but it impacts all games not just D3.
02/17/2018 11:18 AMPosted by MissCheetah
02/17/2018 10:19 AMPosted by hesher

I am sorry but that is not a fact which is probably why you got downvoted. Diablo 3 for the Americas US area is hosted out of the LA datacenter that also hosts their other titles. There has never been another datacenter location for D3 for the US.

There used are other datacenter locations for WoW and some of the other games, but not D3.

There have been some other major changes to how Blizzard handles connections, but it impacts all games not just D3.

The only server I know of that has guaranteed potential lag issues is not even the fault of the ISP, and that is the Asia region, not to be confused with China. This is because the Australian government messed up the fiber installation and it affects an enormous range of online applications, not just the Blizzard ones, because of its inconsistency.
Could it be 64bit vs. 32 bit? I quit playing/trying 64 because it would do that to me, then saw people here discussing it. I'm on 32 and it works fine (mostly, sometimes I think it's my ISP and/or WIFI router that's about 20meters away from the computer, inside a concrete apartment). Just a thought.
02/17/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Wiyth
Could it be 64bit vs. 32 bit?

It could be all starting at the computer, the modem, the line, the hops, the gateways, the server etc.

And yeh, it could aswell be the client because i remember last year i had issues with the 64 bit client aswell because it randomly disconnected; mostly after 20 mins playtime and that reconstructable. The 32 bit client on the other hand did not do that.
02/17/2018 11:18 AMPosted by MissCheetah

So since you are here, can you provide a detailed explanation to the following?

I am not the most computer literate individual, but I know what I have experienced, what I have learned, and what has been explained to me by computer literate individuals as it relates to D3 on North American server(s). At the beginning of S12, there were two different ip addresses for D3 servers in North America. One started with 24 the other with 37, as it has been explained to me. Maybe, just maybe, the numbers that have been provided to me concerning North American D3 servers don't exactly correlate to the numbers on blizzard's end. Lag was far less on the 24 one and extremely bad on the 37 one. Many players that I am familiar with would fish for certain North American D3 server ip addresses that started with 24 in order to get less lag. Players would leave immediately when the game was created on the ip address starting with 37 because of the severe lag issues associated with that server.

A few weeks into S12, the North American D3 server starting with 24 permanently disappeared, leaving only the one starting with 37. Since this occurrence, almost all games have become very laggy, causing many players that I know to run on the Australian and South American servers at times. Additionally, after this occurrence, I noticed an increase in the number of complaints on the forums about lag issues relating to D3 game play. Players not associated with me, complete strangers.

Furthermore, the increase in game lag since the disappearance of the server ip address starting with 24 has directly caused and required 4man groups in my circle of D3 friends running with FB WD to ditch EP on the zmonk in order to better prevent and control lag. Moreover, the FB WD has to start burning sooner in some situations to help prevent or better control game lag. Now, the timing on the burning in order to control lag is not a new thing with FB WD, I know that. However, there was a noticeable difference after the 3/4 wk point into S12. This increase in lag has also been noticeable in solo play and non-meta group play, but it is not as severe as 4man running FB WD at 120+. For me, it is very noticeable when vaulting on UE MS when I am solo, even doing bounties or key runs.

Now, I know and understand that FB WD has always been a laggy build and I understand lag associated with the large computations. For whatever reason, the designers buffed FB over SB as SB was better at reducing and controlling lag. Up to the 3/4 wk point of S12, it appeared that blizzard fixed the lag issue associated with FB WD, but then after this point it appeared that they broke it. Even with 4man FB WD at 120+, lag was very manageable and controllable in almost all instances before the North American D3 server ip address starting with 24 disappeared shortly after S12 started.

I have run with over 50 different players in my circle of D3 friends and have talked to even more than that. They all noticed and experienced the same thing with the lag issues about 3 or 4 weeks into S12 when the North American D3 server ip address starting with 24 no long became an option for players. At times, the game is unplayable and the group has to "new game" the run because they were lagged out. This has been more prominent since 24 disappeared.

There seems to be a common denominator here and it is not everyone's computer, ISP, or game connection. So, if you would be so kind as to explain in detail, What Exactly Happened? (A great deal of players experienced it, not just me, or my D3 friends.) Why did the North American D3 server(s) become so horrible, and have been since 3 or 4 wks into S12 when lag was initially very minimal and manageable prior to the occurrence that I have detailed above? Maybe you can also tie in the PTR issues sought to be resolved into your explanation?
Lol I have been complaining about this too but all I got is downvotes
If you live on NA west cost, you play on australian servers. Thats why you lag.
So downvote me I dont care.
Its useless to ask for help, useless to complain, no one admits nothing, no one believes you. So I just gave up.
I live in Central USA and I haven't noticed any lag at all.
02/17/2018 01:23 PMPosted by hesher
So, if you would be so kind as to explain in detail, What Exactly Happened?

Blizzard used to have AT&T for an ISP at the LA datacenter. That still is the case for a limited amount of datacenters, but no longer for LA. They made major technical investments and now basically serve as their own endpoint ISP. The two server IPs correlate with the transition phase.

I don't work there so don't know the details beyond that. I actually only found out about a month and a half ago when Blues posted something about Blizzard changing routing - something they could not formerly do. They have limited ability to do that on their end now - which they never had before hence why questions were asked.

02/17/2018 01:23 PMPosted by hesher
Maybe you can also tie in the PTR issues sought to be resolved into your explanation?

I actually don't know anything about the multiplayer and communications issues they are working on. It had to do with joining games I thought but I don't play MP and they don't share much with me. Have you played the PTR and is it better for you there? It is the same datacenter as the usual servers but would have the latest code.

Your write up is good though and feels to me like something that should be passed on to the Tech Support team. Feel free to post during the week on the TS forum or put in a direct ticket. If there really is a pattern they can have the network team look into it and see if there is anything they can optimize. I have not experienced the issue myself though so unless a large enough sample size have issues, it may simply be something farther out from Blizz where there is congestion :(

02/17/2018 01:53 PMPosted by SapphireWolf
If you live on NA west cost, you play on australian servers. Thats why you lag.

Not unless you force the game to connect to ANZ. By default West Coast folks connect to LA.
02/17/2018 01:59 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Not unless you force the game to connect to ANZ. By default West Coast folks connect to LA.

Yeah I totally force the game to do that, I secretly enjoy lagging :) and than QQ about it on the forums.

Last post on the topic, not worth wasting my time:)
02/17/2018 06:28 AMPosted by spgeise

Not sure if anyone else is having issues.

yes been having this issue too since then also.
yet these kidds keep downvoting rather then helping damn trolls...
even made threads about it in tech support and bugs no help except tardtrolls putting in there 2 cents thinking they are so good doin nothing
02/17/2018 03:20 PMPosted by ChampionNova
even made threads about it in tech support and bugs no help except tardtrolls putting in there 2 cents thinking they are so good doin nothing
Maybe it is because of how you presented the problem... Looking at your post history, it was quite bitter and over emotional. If I was tech support, I wouldn't want to respond to it either...
02/17/2018 03:57 PMPosted by kwittstruck
02/17/2018 03:20 PMPosted by ChampionNova
Maybe it is because of how you presented the problem... Looking at your post history, it was quite bitter and over emotional. If I was tech support, I wouldn't want to respond to it either...

Fun fact. Tech Support forums are for players to help other players not for direct Blizz contact. They do moderate pretty heavily but don't respond to everything. MVPs don't work for Blizzard and are just other players - if someone comes off as an intentional jerk, I often just skip it. They don't pay me to put up with it and if someone can't ask nicely I can't be bothered to be nice back!

The only way to get 100% Blizz response is to put in a Tech Support ticket for connection issues.
02/17/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Wiyth
Could it be 64bit vs. 32 bit? I quit playing/trying 64 because it would do that to me, then saw people here discussing it. I'm on 32 and it works fine (mostly, sometimes I think it's my ISP and/or WIFI router that's about 20meters away from the computer, inside a concrete apartment). Just a thought.

I shifted back to the 32-bit client from the 64-bit client recently, and it seems to make the game run a little faster. Also, make sure that streaming is disabled on the Bnet launcher (which kept the game from launching at all for me not too long ago).