WD pets 2.0

Witch Doctor
Sup fellas,
I play WD since vanilla, I felt in love with it esthetics's all those zombies, pets and dots. But since Necro came out and showed different take on pets skills with with passive summoning and active command skill. Its feels much better and now WD pets feels outdated. And if by chance devs are reading this can WD get a passive and active for pets as well (pretty please)? I know commanding dead is Necro "thing", but if WD was a "buffer" of pets, so it wont be a plain copy of Necro. And WD pet game play would be more enjoyable and not: "summon a pet.... and watch them hopefully die so you can press that button again".

Game some thought how it could be bit bellow, what you think guys? Would it make WD's pets great again?

• Zombie Dogs (4)
  • Cooldown: 45 seconds
  • Active: Perform a voodoo ritual to increase a summon rate to 2 seconds for 15 seconds.
  • Passive: Summon a Zombie Dog from the depths to fight by your side every 6 seconds to a max of 5 Zombie Dogs. Each dog deals 120% of your weapon damage as Physical per attack, lasting 10 attacks and on death explodes, dealing 1090% of your weapon damage as Physical to all enemies within 12 yards.
  • Rabid Dogs (12)
    Your Zombie Dogs gain an infectious bite deals 25% of your weapon damage as Poison doubling its damage each bite and lasting 5 attacks.
  • Chilled to the Bone (19)
    Enemies who hit or are hit by your Zombie Dogs are Chilled for 3 seconds and death explosion freezes all enemies for 1 second.
  • Life Link (28)
    Your Zombie Dogs lasts 20 attacks and on death, shields you for 5% of your maximum health for each enemy hit up to 50%.
  • Burning Dogs (40)
    Your Zombie Dogs burst into flames, burning nearby enemies for 80% of your weapon damage as Fire every bite and increases explosion damage to 1500% and radius to 20 yards.
  • Leeching Beasts (54)
    Your Zombie Dogs heal you for 100% of your Life On Hit with every bite and has 50% to trigger an extra bite.

• Gargantuan (19)
  • Cooldown: 45 seconds
  • Active: Enrages Gargantuan for 15 seconds granting Cleave ability, allowing its attacks to hit multiple enemies for 450% of your weapon and gaining:
    10% movement speed
    20% attack speed
    100% Physical damage
  • Passive: Summon a Gargantuan zombie to fight for you. The Gargantuan attacks for 450% of your weapon damage as Physical.
  • Humongoid (22)
    Cleave ability now chills enemies for 3 seconds and damage is increased to 585% of your weapon damage as Cold.
  • Restless Giant (29)
    Enrage cooldown is reduced to 30 second and bonuses are increased to:
    20% movement speed
    35% attack speed
    200% Physical damage
  • Wrathful Protector (39)
    Active: Summon a more powerful enraged Gargantuan to fight for you for 15 seconds. The Gargantuan's fists burn with fire, dealing 575% of your weapon damage as Fire and knocking enemies into the air.
  • Big Stinker (48)
    The Gargantuan is surrounded by a poison cloud that deals 135% weapon damage as Poison per second to nearby enemies and when enraged clouds damage is increased to 675%.
  • Bruiser (56)
    Cleave ability pulls enemies towards Gargantuan, dealing 585% of your weapon damage as Fire and stunning them for 3 seconds.

• Fetish Horde (30)
  • Cooldown: 120 seconds
  • Active: Each Fetish Ambushes nearby enemy for 800% weapon damage as Physical.
  • Passive: Summon a horde of 15 dagger-wielding Fetishes to fight by your side. The Fetishes attack for 100% of your weapon damage as Physical.
  • Fetish Ambush (34)
  • Active: Ambush damage is increased to 1000% weapon damage as Cold and freezes targets for 1 second.
  • Devoted Following (40)
    Decrease the cooldown of Fetish Army to 90 seconds.
  • Legion of Daggers (46)
    After ambush all fetishes has their attack speed increased by 35% and movement speed by 20 % for 20 seconds.
  • Tiki Torchers (52)
    Summon an additional 2 Fetish casters who breathe fire in a cone in front of them and deal 85% of your weapon damage as Fire and nearby dagger-wielding Fetishes attacks explodes for 50% weapon damage as Fire.
  • Head Hunters (60)
    Summon an additional 2 Hunter Fetishes that shoot blowdarts at enemies, dealing 130% of your weapon damage as Poison and marking them increasing their damage taken by 50%. Dagger-wielding fetishes only ambushes marked targets and their attacks now deal poison damage.
  • honestly, wd pets were never great =( just look at the most powerful pet build using the manaspender set and jade weapon + bracers o.O whilst only having 3 stupid gargs to deal damage, if they don't just stare holes into the air ... it is just sad what meta and populism did to the wd ...
    Interesting idea to add an activation boost to Gargs. Since we'd have to add CDR to the build, the boost would have to offset the reduction of other stats.
    IMO the big problem are knockback/stun/freeze effects, which just makes your gargs completely useless. Right now, you have to avoid/skip too many elites due to their abilities. I'd say just add invulnerability to your pets by default for those things and test how this would work out. Then just add a (slightly) dmg buff to be on par with Necro pets.
    WD design went into the crapper really fast, really bad
    WD pets do need an update, but it is really not all as bad as it seems.

Knockback, stun and freeze effects are only a problem if you are trying to run with too few pets. The purpose of most which doctor pet builds is to overwhelm making it impossible to stun, freeze, and knockback all.

In any case, we don't need to go so far as having command skills or active or passive. Here is what I think is all that is needed:

Summon Zombie Dogs
    Defensive
    Cooldown: 45 seconds

Summon 3 Zombie Dogs from the depths to fight by your side. Each dog deals 120% of your weapon damage as Physical per hit.

SKILL RUNE
    Rabid Dogs
    Your Zombie Dogs gain an infectious bite doing 160% weapon damage as poison and increasing all damage done to the target by 10% for 3 seconds.

Chilled to the Bone
    Enemies who hit or are hit by your Zombie Dogs are chilled for 3 seconds -- slowing their movement and attack rate by 25%. Chilled targets have a 10% more likely chance to suffer critical hits.

Life Link
    Your Zombie Dogs absorb 20% of all damage done to you.

Burning Dogs
    Your Zombie Dogs burst into flames, burning nearby enemies within a 12 yard radius for 100% of your weapon damage as Fire every second. (Stacks for each zombie dog you have within the radius).

Leeching Beasts
    Your Zombie Dogs heal you for 100% of your Life On Hit with every attack and increase your mana regeneration by 1 point every second for each dog you have summoned.

Gargantuan
    Voodoo
    Cooldown: 60 seconds

Summon a Gargantuan zombie to fight for you. The Gargantuan attacks for 450% of your weapon damage as Physical.

Skill Runes
    LEVEL
    SKILL RUNE
    Humongoid
    The Gargantuan gains the Cleave ability, 35% of its attacks to hit multiple enemies for 585% of your weapon damage as Cold. (Greatly increased cleave proc.)

Restless Giant
    When the Gargantuan encounters an elite enemy or is near 5 enemies, it enrages for 15 seconds gaining:

50% movement speed

50% attack speed

200% Physical damage

This effect cannot occur more than once every 45 seconds. Elite enemies include champions, rares, bosses, and other players. (increased movement and attack speed while enraged.)

Wrathful Protector
    Summon a more powerful Gargantuan to fight for you for 15 seconds. The Gargantuan's fists burn with fire, dealing 675% of your weapon damage as Fire and knocking enemies into the air. When summoned the Wrathful Protector will charge toward the most powerful enemy within a 50 yard radius -- dealing 575% damage as fire and knocking back all enemies in its path to approach its target. (Greatly increased summoning effect.)

Big Stinker
    The Gargantuan is surrounded by a poison cloud that deals 200% weapon damage as Poison per second to nearby enemies in a 16 yard radius. (Increased damage and radius of cloud).

Bruiser
    The Gargantuan gains the ability to periodically slam enemies, dealing 500% of your weapon damage as Fire and stunning them for 3 seconds. (Greatly increased damage of slam attack.)

Fetish Army
    Voodoo
    Cooldown: 120 seconds

Summon an army of 5 dagger-wielding Fetishes to fight by your side for 20 seconds. The Fetishes attack for 180% of your weapon damage as Physical.

Skill Runes
    LEVEL
    SKILL RUNE
    Fetish Ambush
    Each Fetish deals 680% weapon damage as Cold to any random nearby enemy as it is summoned. (This is now considered "pet" damage subject to pet damage buff increases. FYI, Mask of Jeram, Zunimassa's 6 Piece Bonus.)

Devoted Following
    Decrease the cooldown of Fetish Army by half.

Legion of Daggers
    Increase number of dagger-wielding Fetishes summoned by 4.

Tiki Torchers
    Summon an additional 3 Fetish casters who breathe fire in a cone in front of them and deal 85% of your weapon damage as Fire.

Head Hunters
    Summon an additional 3 Hunter Fetishes that shoot blowdarts at enemies, dealing 130% of your weapon damage as Poison.

Zombie Charger
    Decay
    Cost: 150 Mana

Call forth a reckless, suicidal zombie that deals 560% weapon damage as Poison to all enemies in its path before decomposing.

ZOMBIE CHARGER

SKILL RUNE
    Pile On
    Summon a tower of zombies that falls over, dealing 880% weapon damage as Physical and having a 15% chance to knockback any enemies it hits.

Undeath
    If any enemy is killed by zombie charger, there is a 25% chance it will slowly rise from the ground as an undead zombie creeper and attack nearby targets in the area for 220% weapon damage as poison for 12 seconds. (Note: Zombie creepers are too slow to follow the WD out of the area but are "pets" and their attacks benefit from bonuses to "pet" damage.)

Lumbering Cold
    Zombie winter bears crawl out of the ground and run in all directions, dealing 320% weapon damage as Cold to nearby enemies and having a 10% chance of freezing them for 1 second.

Explosive Beast
    Summon an explosive Zombie Dog that streaks toward before exploding, dealing 680% weapon damage as Fire to all enemies within 12 yards. The zombie dog leaves a trial of fire that burns nearby enemies for 180% weapon damage as fire every second and last 3 seconds

Zombie Bears
    Summon zombie bears that stampede towards your enemy. Each bear deals 620% weapon damage as Poison to enemies in the area.
    This is my first season really playing WD but the biggest problem I have seen is just the AI behind the WD pets. Make them so they attack what you are attacking as priority and it would feel so much better. I have had several times on GR boss where my pets just stand there and won't attack for 10-15 seconds or they get stuck fighting one mob when i have a whole pack stacked up.
    I agree with the previous poster. My biggest complaint with WD pets is the pathing and AI. I'm trying a seasonal Zumi WD right now, and while it was initially lots of fun, I've gotten frustrated at how often the pets just stand there doing nothing useful. Too often the fetishes get in the way of the gargs and I have to run around to strange places to get the gargs to reposition and actually swing at something. It seems like two simple changes would fix this:
    1. Gargs and fetishes should be able to occupy the same space. One is huge and one is tiny, no reason the fetishes can't just stand between the gargs legs and fight.
    2. Pets should preferentially attack the enemies nearest the player. It's ridiculous when I want to fight an elite right next to me, while half my pets are running off the edge of the screen fighting trash.

As it stands now, it seems like pet builds aren't viable past a certain level.
    07/12/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Peleg
    I agree with the previous poster. My biggest complaint with WD pets is the pathing and AI. I'm trying a seasonal Zumi WD right now, and while it was initially lots of fun, I've gotten frustrated at how often the pets just stand there doing nothing useful. Too often the fetishes get in the way of the gargs and I have to run around to strange places to get the gargs to reposition and actually swing at something. It seems like two simple changes would fix this:
    1. Gargs and fetishes should be able to occupy the same space. One is huge and one is tiny, no reason the fetishes can't just stand between the gargs legs and fight.
    2. Pets should preferentially attack the enemies nearest the player. It's ridiculous when I want to fight an elite right next to me, while half my pets are running off the edge of the screen fighting trash.

As it stands now, it seems like pet builds aren't viable past a certain level.

Again, like I said, pets don't need a lot of work, but they do need some.

Zei's stone of vengeance is ideal for pet builds since it measures the increased damage from the player to the enemy -- not from the pet to the enemy. It would ruin it if pets attacked enemies closest to the player all the time.

Putting big stinker rune on the gargantuan solves most of his problems since even when he is not fighting he is giving off is poison aura.

Indeed, I think there are bigger issues with WD pets than pathing and targeting. The biggest issues are:

1) Certain pet runes are either entirely worthless or far too weak. Wrathful protector is one that comes to mind.
    2) Even runes that are relatively good could use a decent buff. For example, big stinker aura is too small -- could be a larger 8-10 yard radius.
    3) Pet Doctor Gear was overlooked. Why is there no bracer and/or shoulder item that clearly benefits pets? I mean, Jade harvester has lacumba's ornament and helltooth has jeram's bracers for wall of death. In contrast, a zuni build generally will not have WOD because it is not a "mana spender" nor are you going to want to get too close to the enemy to make use of lacumba's ornament.

Really, I think pets might need some minor tweaking, but nothing major. It really lackluster pet doctor gear that is lacking -- especially in the bracer or shoulder slot.
    Example:

Idea for New Bracers:

1) Hound tamers: All your zombie dogs gain a 8% increase their damage for each dog you have summoned (Max: 48%) and gain the effect of the life link rune.

Life Link Rune:

Your pets now absorb 15% of the damage done to you (up from 10%).

(This is an example, but you get the idea. Changes need to be made, but they are minor.)
    If one could command the gargs to attack a single yellow that could make a difference of +10 higher grift levels i think.

I also have a question, does the Zei gem work if you stay far away from enemy do they get the full distance dmg buff ? That would bebetter by far then the yellow gem. I dont see WDs using it, does that mean it doesnt work ?
    Two words:

Fierce Loyalty -- Pets benefit from your movement speed and will engage and re-engage the enemy far quicker if you have a higher base movement rate.

Three More:

BBV -- Again, faster movement rate for pets.

I honestly don't know how some pet builds even manage without those two skills. In my opinion, they are must haves for pet builds. Having a faster movement rate for your pets will overcome 90% of the pathing issues you are having. The other 10% can be remedied through re-summoning.

Also, Zei's damage is calculated from your character's distance to the enemy. It is not calculated from your pet's distance to the enemy. Thus, your gargantuan will increase in damage the further your WD is from the enemy -- again, easy for pet builds to manipulate. It is easy to manipulate and is a far better gem for WD pet builds than Bane of the Trapped in my opinion.

Ranged 20% full stun >>>> melee only and weak slow movement rate aura.
    100% ranged damage>>>melee only or occasional damage
    greater maximum damage>>>>less maximum damage
    What are you talking about?
    Necro pets are nothing but a constant disappointment with melee skeletons that do nothing but activate a buff of that terrible set that is the only thing that makes your pets do any worthwhile damage and take up a skillslot you would absolutely need to cover one of the many requirements of this badly designed class.
    Then, the only pet that actually does anything are those skeletal mages which you have to recast constantly, forever. Enjoy.
    Does the golem look cool and fun to you? Too bad, you'll never have room in your skillbar to use it.
    And don't even get me started on singularity mages.
    Necro pets are complete and utter dog!@#$.

As for the witchdoctor, all he needs is a buff to non-garg pets because right now, fetishes and dogs do nothing and almost all of your DPS comes from that short mans finger.
    There would be no problem if that giant zuni fetish army got a 500% more damage, cleave attack ring and if the tall mans finger made the combined dogs 5x stronger rather than that ridiculous 60% so you would have a lot more choices ranging from giant army to one single super pet instead of just 3 gargs and that's it.