[QQ] I am DONE with Challenge Rifts

General Discussion
In the beginning, I really liked the idea of weekly Challenge Rifts. It provided a fun, alternative perspective on how to play the game. And, for players wanting more of a "challenge," there are leader boards to compete on. In other words, Challenge Rifts were quite well rounded. However, lately, Challenge Rifts have seemed more like Sadistic Rifts, featuring some questionable builds, maps, etc.

Full disclosure: I am a self-proclaimed "casual" who does Challenge Rifts to gain relatively easy Bounty crafting materials, because as a solo player, Bounties are time consuming and not as rewarding as a cache for completing a Challenge Rift.

Needless to say, after managing to complete 2-3 Challenge Rifts in the last three months (I am 0 for 2 at starting a new Season with a cache), I am starved for Bounty crafting materials and feeling rather frustrated. On the other hand, I am also blown away by the fact that the original player was able to complete the Challenge Rift with such a low time, given that they (supposedly) do not know the layout of the map(s), or the whereabouts of Elite packs and Pylons. Good for them, I suppose.

Now, if some poor soul managed to sit through my entire sad rant, then, first of all, thank you for listening. Secondly, I would like to take the opportunity to tip my hat to all of you in the community who manage to complete Challenge Rifts week after week. Incredible work, guys and gals!
02/27/2018 11:01 AMPosted by HelloKitty
Now, if some poor soul managed to sit through my entire sad rant, then, first of all, thank you for listening.

Well written, and I agree with all points.

+1
There are only 2 rifts that I gave up on trying. The barb WW one 2 months back and this one. If I cannot get it done solo or with party in a few runs, it is quicker just running a full game of bounties.

No issues with the rest of them at all.
02/27/2018 11:19 AMPosted by DonMartin
Now, if some poor soul managed to sit through my entire sad rant, then, first of all, thank you for listening.

Well written, and I agree with all points.

+1

Yeah good job and I too agree with your post
02/27/2018 11:34 AMPosted by kwittstruck
There are only 2 rifts that I gave up on trying. The barb WW one 2 months back and this one. If I cannot get it done solo or with party in a few runs, it is quicker just running a full game of bounties.

No issues with the rest of them at all.

I didn't try the first two or three. Then did like three in a row. Skipped the Crusader Mount one a week or two ago, then got the one to start this season. And would have skipped this one too, except a video from someone helped me complete it. (All US of course.)

I don't mind the challenge rifts all that much, but if I don't complete it in about 5 tries, I just skip it. Almost skipped this one when I saw half the gear was yellow. Don't normally like those builds. Gave it a try and was about 15 seconds behind the timer on the first attempt. Couldn't get any faster until I watched that video. Then beat the timer by about 17 seconds.
I don't get this CR either. It's painful for the sake of being painful and I just don't see the point.
I never understood the point of challenge rifts. I'm pretty particular with how I like things and the types of things I enjoy in a video game so for me playing with someone else' class, not having the ability to move skills around just felt strange. If I didn't have interest in the Witch Doctor before how would a challenge rift change that being even more limiting than making your own?
Never liked CR, playing someone else build in a GR is not my cup of tea.

I only do it at beginning of every season for the mats as those come very useful at the beginning.
I did Challenge Rifts 1, 2 and decided the rewards didn't warrant spending the time playing horrendously bad builds and hadn't played one since until CHR35 last week for the materials at the start of the season.
A good idea for challenge rifts would be to pick (or have the game choose) one of the rifts you have personally completed, and give you the same gear and stats and everything, and challenge you to get a better time.

That way, unless it happens to be a rift that you just completed a day or two ago, you're not likely to remember how to be as efficient right off the bat. And on the other hand, maybe you'll find a new route that is better than what you chose before.

Either way, you won't have a guide to rely on, providing more of a challenge. And honestly it would feel a bit more rewarding knowing that you possibly have adapted better to the game in the present than in the past.
Run as fast as you can while mashing 1-4 and right click. Easy peasy.
Note: this strategy works for all Challenge Rifts.
02/27/2018 05:28 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
Never liked CR, playing someone else build in a GR is not my cup of tea.

I only do it at beginning of every season for the mats as those come very useful at the beginning.

Yup its a fresh puzzle every new CR, but the problem is that puzzle is quickly, probably within a few minutes solved and spread on the internet. Since the internet is readily available, whats the incentive to not-copy? It's exactly like Hearthstone and metadecks / tavern brawls.

Puzzle solution on the internet, its not fun winning someone elses way for some people. Some people like to win their own way, Challenge Rifts definitely don't support that or even consider that.

That's why D2 has so many builds that are viable yet not the best - the game has a static difficulty to beat meaning many builds can meaning people can win their own way - they key developers need to understand for once and set a game difficulty for that benchmark. Challenge Rifts / D3 in general doesn't have that set game to beat...its just never ending greater rifts with googled builds.
we need better rewards!
Full disclosure: I am a self-proclaimed "casual" who does Challenge Rifts to gain relatively easy Bounty crafting materials, because as a solo player, Bounties are time consuming and not as rewarding as a cache for completing a Challenge Rift.

I think this is your problem. You're expecting easy mats, but that's not what these are implemented for. It's basically a side activity where you're expected to make the best out of a random build. It's essentially the same problem I see whenever someone posts about an "impossible" CR. They're in expecting to jump in them, faceroll the thing and cash out their mats with no effort.

Whether it's a good or bad build is really irrelevant here, because everyone is given the same rift, standardizing difficulty. Just because you personally can't fathom a way in which whoever cleared that rift first did it doesn't mean it's insurmountable. Quite the opposite, in fact. These are in there just as a quick occasional challenge to break the monotony from the standard GR rat race. The fact the rewards are relatively low ensures they remain entirely optional.

I agree, bounties are needlessly over-taxing for solo players, but that doesn't mean this mode was intended to be your main source of mats anyways. I'd try to fix the reward structure for bounties instead of expecting CRs to be easy. Scaling the amount of bounties to complete with party size should do the trick. It's a solution that's been suggested multiple times, in fact. It won't lead to perfect balance, but it will certainly close the massive efficiency handicap solo players are being subject to with this particular activity.
02/27/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

I think this is your problem. You're expecting easy mats, but that's not what these are implemented for. It's basically a side activity where you're expected to make the best out of a random build. It's essentially the same problem I see whenever someone posts about an "impossible" CR. They're in expecting to jump in them, faceroll the thing and cash out their mats with no effort.

Whether it's a good or bad build is really irrelevant here, because everyone is given the same rift, standardizing difficulty. Just because you personally can't fathom a way in which whoever cleared that rift first did it doesn't mean it's insurmountable. Quite the opposite, in fact. These are in there just as a quick occasional challenge to break the monotony from the standard GR rat race. The fact the rewards are relatively low ensures they remain entirely optional.

I agree, bounties are needlessly over-taxing for solo players, but that doesn't mean this mode was intended to be your main source of mats anyways. I'd try to fix the reward structure for bounties instead of expecting CRs to be easy. Scaling the amount of bounties to complete with party size should do the trick. It's a solution that's been suggested multiple times, in fact. It won't lead to perfect balance, but it will certainly close the massive efficiency handicap solo players are being subject to with this particular activity.

REALLY?
I thought these were designed to give you a feel of different builds and classes. Either way its a fail. I play DH all the time and hated this rift. I found it very challenging. No way i would have decided to try DH for the first time after dipping my big toe in this players DH setup. AND I LOVE DH
I've only done the very first challenge rift, and then the sader one for season start (US) I may.... MAY.... have done one or two others...

Honestly I just don't think about them. At all. Sure I see the button option but 99.999(ad infinitum)% of the time I'm in adventure mode. If i need bounty mats, I run bounties. I main DH and a full spread of bounties can be accomplished much faster than beating my head against some other idiot's wall (i can bash my head against my own idiot wall just fine tyvm)

One of the first things I'd do if someone handed me a toothbrush, 3 matches, and a hemorrhoid donut and told me to go try and kill a grizzly... would be to punch that jerk in the face and walk away.

There's just so very very little incentive to even care about them/attempt them.

And the builds.... the gear.... the skill choices sometimes....

No.

Just....

No.
please blizz make a challege rift with this
-gr 60+
-full set and correct items
-average finery (not perfect ammy and rings)
-correct skills and passives
-some good gems (royal or flawless royal)
- low lvl legendary gems(lvl 25 or less)
- more variety rotation of sets::
its mean all full sets from crusader, babarian, demon hunter, necromancer, wizzard, wich doctor and monk
that would be the perfect challenge rift for all of us
- and pls no more pros !@#$ty builds with yellows and crappy legs
(and sometimes there can be weird mixes but full set with weird weaps mayb)
Every challenge rift I've done so far seemed too easy to be a challenge. At the same time, it doesn't give a reward the second time running it, so there isn't much point to do it again for a better time. They should take rift clears from the leaderboards, at least like top 50 clears. That way we'd at least have a build that requires a decent bit of effort to complete in time.
02/27/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Prology
I found it very challenging

Isn't that the whole point
Most players I believe hoped the Challenge Rift would be a top tier clear. So they could compare themselves with others at a high level.

Wouldn't you like to have a crack at some P5k account with gg primal gear and 140 plus gems who ranked 1-10?

In there current format the Challenge Rift is a joke and the reward reflects it.