Adjust Grift Key stack to 5k please

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
Master Jay, I did post to move it to the mats table. This my second time telling you that.

03/07/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Jazz
03/06/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Phatty

The excess grift keys represent hundreds of hours of game play. Why should I shortchanged my time vested for the sake of a simple solution that would benefit everyone as a qol change.

Before you dump some stacks due to lack of space, then take a screenshot of your stash tab full of keys, frame it and hang it on the wall to admire and reminisce.

Spite much? Next time you ask for something that won't hurt anyone to implement, I hope someone trolls you like you are trolling me.
It's not about trolling. Sure having stackable items stack higher would be/could be great. But there is no sign of it happening in the nearest future - there is even a good chance it will never happen. Therefore you need to deal with things how they are right now. If you have plenty of room to keep gathering rift keys then it's fine. If not, then you need to do something.

And don't give us that: "I've spent hundreds of hours doing this or that..."
Almost every Diablo player knows about spending and wasting hundreds of hours.
03/04/2018 04:30 PMPosted by ChampionNova
23hr 59mins a day.........
well duh, there only 23 hours and 56 minutes in a day
03/07/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Jazz
It's not about trolling. Sure having stackable items stack higher would be/could be great. But there is no sign of it happening in the nearest future - there is even a good chance it will never happen. Therefore you need to deal with things how they are right now. If you have plenty of room to keep gathering rift keys then it's fine. If not, then you need to do something.

And don't give us that: "I've spent hundreds of hours doing this or that..."
Almost every Diablo player knows about spending and wasting hundreds of hours.

Actually, I don't know if it will never happen. The game is older things are changing. What they said in the past doesn't necessarily apply now especially with our population of nonseason players.

In regards to loosing sunk cost, again, no one wants to loose hundreds of hours of play time. Literally every single grift key represents a minimum of 2 minutes of play time.

Do the math. Don't be a troll.

Actions speak louder than words. And you are trolling.
In that case you're a crybaby taking the bait...
24K or Math's table

:):)
03/07/2018 04:46 PMPosted by MasterJay
Okay my point isn't about the technical details of how much increase of data it would be, it's about increasing the data requirement period.

Currently, the number of GR keys in each stack can be 1-100. However, gems stack to 5,000 (as did crafting materials before they were moved to the Inventory UI). This means an 8-bit unsigned integer, which can hold values from 0-255, isn't sufficient to hold the information of how many items are in a stack. This means the value must be stored in at least a 16-bit unsigned integer which can hold values of 0-65,535.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume someone has 50,000 GR keys (I know it's an extreme example but go with me). Currently, that would mean they would have 500 stacks of keys. Each stack takes a 16-bit integer to record how many items are in each stack. So, that's 500 16-bit integers = 8000 bits = 1000 bytes. Now, imagine if the stack sizes were changed to 5,000. That would mean you'd need 10 16-bit integers to record how many items are in each stack. 10 16-bit integers = 160 bits = 20 bytes. If they were moved to the Inventory UI and they were stored as a 32-bit unsigned integer, (with a maximum of over 4 billion, so effectively limitless) it would take 1 32-bit integer = 32 bits = 4 bytes.

The point is that this does not require more data storage. Look at the example. Currently the storage would take 1000 bytes, change stack size to 5000 and storage would take 20 bytes, change it to the Inventory UI and storage would take 4 bytes. There is no storage space increase involved, diametrically the opposite in fact.
Thx very much for this info Meteorblade. Hopefully this clears up some confusion for people and it certainly makes Phatty's case stronger IMO.
03/04/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Phatty
There are a lot of people in this game that have several thousands of grift keys now.

Let us stack them to 5k or move them into the mat's table.

Thanks

5k? They only stack to 100 now. I would say 1k would be fine but if you have more then 5k keys you are either botting or playing the game wrong. I have about 600 keys and as they start to stack up I stop running rifts for a few weeks till they get down to 200-300. Of course I don't play 4+ hours a day like some people.
I am one that doens't have a ton of GR keys. Like others say you use them. Stacking them only helps those that run bots.
03/08/2018 11:50 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I am one that doens't have a ton of GR keys. Like others say you use them. Stacking them only helps those that run bots.

Didn’t know that Phatty was a botter. I thought <Viz> was one of the very few 100% legit clans out here. Hell, I didn’t know I was a botter either. I didn’t know that all these folks who farm 300-500 Keys a session for either a week of Rats without key farming or that one tile gg fish on the end of the season are all botting. Wait, isn’t botting currently dead?

Ok, let’s say “use them all”. Cool. But I have a full tab of gems plus main gems in other tab already. I can chainspam 1:30-2:00 70-75’s on my Monk (at that level I can burn them quickly, still I get 2 Keys from one 2 minute rift that I will do regardless for gold/DB’s and xp pools, and I burn only 1 in 2 minutes) but I need more slots for gems in that scenario. Even these 11-12 slots from keystacks would do. I play all classes now (only dh and WD are not augmented because I didn’t gear them up yet, and guess what, I will hop on my basic multishot and do Keys/GR interchangeably for gear and still will farm more Keys than I can burn) and as is I have provably over 100 pieces of gear augmented. Hell, I salvage augmented gear on daily basis, every time I get an upgrade.

I don’t understand why anyone sane around here would ever argue with getting more stash space. GR Keys in inventory are a relict of old times, when we were “inserting” them into obelisk. As is there is no interaction with them, besides picking them up, just like all crafting mats. They should’ve been part of UI long time ago.
03/08/2018 12:19 PMPosted by S4v4G3
Didn’t know that Phatty was a botter. I thought <Viz> was one of the very few 100% legit clans out here. Hell, I didn’t know I was a botter either. I didn’t know that all these folks who farm 300-500 Keys a session for either a week of Rats without key farming or that one tile gg fish on the end of the season are all botting. Wait, isn’t botting currently dead?

What would be the purpose to hoard keys. If you already have all of the gear that a character needs and you have reached your goal for that build for either a season or era why bother to get more keys.

As far as botting staying dead that is another issue. I don't doubt that the most determined of bot makers will find a way to make a bot program work. I don't put anything past the people that know what they are doing and they are good at it.

The problem is that the hoarding onto them serves no purpose as others have been told. Here you are farming for keys but you intend to hoard them until they reach in the thousands if they could stack as high as the OP wants. It would take around 166 (2 minutes per key at 5k keys) hours to burn through a stack of 5k keys. Who would be able to play for about 166 (doing nothing but GRs)hours straight just to burn through those keys. Heck I couldn't possibly farm long enough to earn them without getting bored doing normal rifts let alone burning them off doing GRs.

Now if a bot had farmed for keys while the player was doing other things. Let's say it was an account that had an average of 20 hours a day of play time for an entire three month season. Now if the player actually plays only for 2 hours. His bot could earn around 2100 keys according to the 2 minutes per normal rift. This takes 21 one slot spots of stash space. But when you only playing GRs for pushing and you play for only 2 hours you will only burn through 60 keys. Now if you have the bot where it does some GRs to farm for paragon and have it where it will leave you with enough keys to use to play some GRs when you go to actually play.

Like others said there is no reason to be hoarding keys. A lot of players can understand to a degree why players hold on to gear. But not keys that is an entirely different thing. To me it is crazy to hold onto them.

I do normal rifts for keys like everyone else but I don't do them till my eyes bleed just to stockpile some keys. No, Instead I use them as I earn them. That way I break things up a bit. Which means it is not as boring as it would be to stockpile keys then go through a huge burn phase just to use them to free stash space.

03/08/2018 12:19 PMPosted by S4v4G3
I don’t understand why anyone sane around here would ever argue with getting more stash space. GR Keys in inventory are a relict of old times, when we were “inserting” them into obelisk. As is there is no interaction with them, besides picking them up, just like all crafting mats. They should’ve been part of UI long time ago.

Making them like the crafting mats or currency would make matters worse. That would mean that a player could have bots doing a lot of farming for keys and paragon levels. Then when he/she gets back to actually play they do their GR pushing session where they don't have to worry about inventory.

Using the stash space argument as a strawman is not good enough I could do better if I wanted to make an argument for more keys to be held per slot.
Let me say this again:

Keys are sunk cost/time. Why should anyone regardless if they are hoarded have an issue with keeping them because they represent time played?

1 key = 1 minute. If you have 2k keys, would you just toss 33 hours of playtime down the crapper?

The only reason to do rifts are to get keys or db's. The real value has always been the grifts.

So why would anyone in their right mind just sell stacks of keys?

(the only people would be those who have bots - they don't care about vested time because it's done through a bot).

So you see, the whole argument about helping bots is rather stupid.
03/08/2018 10:00 PMPosted by Phatty
The only reason to do rifts are to get keys or db's. The real value has always been the grifts.

You are very mistaken.

:):)
Let me say this again:

Keys are sunk cost/time.

No, they are not. If you don't farm keys in order to use them then they are just a waste product.
03/09/2018 01:54 AMPosted by Jazz
Let me say this again:

Keys are sunk cost/time.

No, they are not. If you don't farm keys in order to use them then they are just a waste product.

Jazz, I do and have used them. It's just that I get more of them than I use at the moment. It's a balance. I needed db's to craft -> so I have excess grift keys. When I want to do speeds or level up gems, I'll burn through a couple hundred grift keys. It's an ongoing back and forth.

I used to burn through about 1200 of them over an exp bonus week. Just haven't spent the time to grind through speeds.

I'm fairly certain that I will use them over time but for now it's taking up inventory space it really shouldn't.
(the only people would be those who have bots - they don't care about vested time because it's done through a bot).

No it isn't stupid because bots wouldn't have to stop off to put keys in a stash that might be close to full with other things along with keys. if they all could be held in one stack. Then the programmer could make it where the bot never goes over the 5k mark. But going over the 100 limit is done in less than an hour. Plus they might even have some bots picking up gear that they are looking for. Doing that along with the keys might make it harder with 100 limit. But 5k would be a breeze.

03/09/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Phatty
Jazz, I do and have used them. It's just that I get more of them than I use at the moment. It's a balance. I needed db's to craft -> so I have excess grift keys. When I want to do speeds or level up gems, I'll burn through a couple hundred grift keys. It's an ongoing back and forth.

I used to burn through about 1200 of them over an exp bonus week. Just haven't spent the time to grind through speeds.

I'm fairly certain that I will use them over time but for now it's taking up inventory space it really shouldn't.

I think that someone will have to write a guide on how to wisely use resources so you are not always out of x when you need it the most.

No it isn't stupid because bots wouldn't have to stop off to put keys in a stash that might be close to full with other things along with keys. if they all could be held in one stack. Then the programmer could make it where the bot never goes over the 5k mark. But going over the 100 limit is done in less than an hour. Plus they might even have some bots picking up gear that they are looking for. Doing that along with the keys might make it harder with 100 limit. But 5k would be a breeze.

Your serious argument against higher stacking is bot inventory/stash management?

Your serious argument against higher stacking is bot inventory/stash management?

Yeah unbelievable eh? We should all play the game so as to disadvantage bots, which are currently non-existent btw.