Introducing the Solo Self-Found League!

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 18 Next
02/17/2018 12:28 PMPosted by DOA
crafting, gambling, vendors, are just part of the game.

Multplayer is part of the game too

Call it "Solo League" if you want but don´t use the word Self-Found if you don´t want to find your Items on your own and rely on those vendors/merchants.
This sounds awesome!
Will be devoting HC to this from day 1.

It will be interesting for the users who want to participate after they've already started Seasons and accumulated gold, mats, XP; either after they're bored a couple weeks in or finding about this later. There's no way to "reset" your Season journey so the only options are to use a different mode (but what if you already played both SC and HC or hate the other mode), switch to a different region or I guess buy another game license?
02/17/2018 01:31 PMPosted by ten
There's no way to "reset" your Season journey so the only options are to use a different mode (but what if you already played both SC and HC or hate the other mode), switch to a different region or I guess buy another game license?

Correct. Those would be your options. Switching Regions where you start the Season over again would be cheapest. Just be sure to test it first to see how much lag there is.
This is a very great idea. I always wanted something like this.

As I understand, it would not be possible to start season in a group for 1 or 2 days and then go ssf. Sadly this is the most fun thing for me in a season, after that I play solo, besides some split bounties. As I understand split bounties and t13 grp farming is not allowed. For me it would be enough, if it is not allowed to do GR in a grp. (2/3/4) This is the most important part for me, that when pushing solo GR you dont benefit from grp paragon, grp gems and grp augments.

But nevertheless I think it is a gread idea and I appreciate the time and effort you put in it. Maybe I will try it out for hc then ;) (or maybe in the future mods / rules can get changed :) )

edit: Is it even possible to check if someone played t13 / bounties in grp?

edit2: I would appreciate an ingame community for this league. would be no problem to create one, right?
If the popularity of this thread is anything to go by, the devs need to implement this mode - probably a checkbox when creating a hero (like where 'hardcore' and 'seasonal' are).

Dunno if there needs to be another set of leaderboards created as it'll effectively double the number of solo GR leaderboards already in the game or if we add an icon next to each clear in the current ones indicating that the player is solo self found.
02/17/2018 01:39 PMPosted by lib
I would appreciate an ingame community for this league. would be no problem to create one, right?

I believe all 3 regions have communities by this point, feel free to search for SSF and join!
02/17/2018 01:39 PMPosted by lib
edit2: I would appreciate an ingame community for this league. would be no problem to create one, right?

There are SSF communities and SSF clan Europe and Americas.
America - Community: SSF League
America - Clan: <SSF> I Solo SelfFound I... Leader: Garfm

Europe - Community: SSF League
Europe - Clan: <SSFEU> SSF Europe... Leader: killkarabill
02/17/2018 12:39 PMPosted by DEATHWISH

Call it "Solo League" if you want but don´t use the word Self-Found if you don´t want to find your Items on your own and rely on those vendors/merchants.

Utilizing things you found while playing solo is kind of the idea. Not using vendors/crafting, that's just martyrdom.
02/17/2018 05:16 PMPosted by DOA

Utilizing things you found while playing solo is kind of the idea. Not using vendors/crafting, that's just martyrdom.

I fully agree with you, but since the people behind this moment aren't Diablo programmers, we're forced to just do this the best that we're able to.

I think that's just punishment if you can't use kadala/cube or crafting. It's not like you didn't go out and get the materials to use those yourself. What's the problem, exactly?
02/17/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Orrion
I think that's just punishment if you can't use kadala/cube or crafting. It's not like you didn't go out and get the materials to use those yourself. What's the problem, exactly?

Look's like he talking about what you'll see sometimes in HC forum here, where someone proposes a 'purist' HC season with no death passive used ever.
They talk about going back to the roots so to speak.

In this vein of feeling it would also possibly include removal of the haedrig gift.
When it was first announced, I thought it was silly, because I was so used to living without it each season.

But SSF like in PoE is really about no grouping or trading and above all "always no matter what play by yourself".

If you somehow had "auto-join" on and someone entered your game you must automatically send Leviathan an email telling him you immediately left the game, and throw yourself on his mercy!
As a almost fully solo player that's had top 10 leaderboard spots from time to time in various seasons, I've been looking for some sort of solo leaderboard. However, this is probably not it for several reasons.

I think the biggest issue is that the rules simply are not enforceable. Specifically doing any group activities aside from GRs. GRs are the only enforceable part because it shows up as a record in the profile. Everything else from regular rifts, powerlevels, bounties, etc can't be enforced.

I would think a better solution would be to simply have a solo GR league, as GRs are the main source of loot and exp anyways. Then at least the rules can be enforced by looking at a players profile. As much as I'd like a pure solo league, since thats how I usually play, I'd still take something enforceable over something not enforceable.

The other thing is that I'm not interested in having SSF in my character name. I know some people probably don't care, but I've quit games or servers in games due to naming issues before. Last thing I need is a forced tag on my name. Forcing SSF in the name just doesn't look good.

At any rate, goodluck with your league, and hopefully you guys can get a decent number of participants. Meanwhile, I hope Blizzard will create a solo league of their own some day.
02/17/2018 07:53 PMPosted by TianZi
I would think a better solution would be to simply have a solo GR league

Well that gets away from the SSF mode entirely.

Using the honor system, means something a bit different.
In this day and age we can still police ourselves, until Blizzard makes a SSF mode for this great game!

Keeping it pure and simple. This is a very exciting mode of play for many of us.

Let's keep it positive and see how this 'can' happen as opposed to how it 'can't'!

You're grasping at straws here. Everyone understands what this is all about. Nitpicking isn't going to change that, or even provide something useful to the conversation. The basic idea here is just to provide a niche where solo-only players can gauge their performance against other like-minded players. It really doesn't get any clearer than this.
Great Idea!

There is a fool proof way to prove you have not cheated. First you will need to play a region you have never played before. I've not played Europe so I selected that region. Alternatively you can just create a new account but that is for people made of money. Then immediately uncheck the box for quick join:
  • Esc->Options->Social->Enable Quick Join (uncheck)
  • If you have done that and you never join anyone else's game then you will never get the achievement:
  • y->Cooperative->Heroes of the Ages "Join a cooperative game"
  • Easy proof you are a self made hero!

Have fun. I might join later after I get my seasonal achievements (kind of my thing as the achievement community leader).

P.S this is not originally my idea. TinneOnnMuin#1187 has an alt account that he has been completing all of the achievements in solo and uses the fact that he does not have the 'coop' achievement as proof that everything he's done has been solo!

I think the biggest issue is that the rules simply are not enforceable. Specifically doing any group activities aside from GRs. GRs are the only enforceable part because it shows up as a record in the profile. Everything else from regular rifts, powerlevels, bounties, etc can't be enforced.

I think that you're missing some of the idea here that this is all about fun which involves a specific way to play that many people enjoy or have been wanting for a very long time.

There's no way to have a 100% foolproof method here without Blizzard officially supporting SSF and may I remind you that there are people always cheating/exploiting outside of SSF which Blizzard has shown that even they are incapable of cleaning it up 100%

This isn't some kind of courtroom where every participant will be called to the stand to find out if they'll lie under oath. The hope here is that the cheaters/exploiters/botters/ will see SSF as pointless and keep their shenanigans in the main realm away from us SSF players and in turn a special community is created of like-minded players that have many of the same goals.
    02/17/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Hamiltonz
    If you have done that and you never join anyone else's game then you will never get the achievement:
    y->Cooperative->Heroes of the Ages "Join a cooperative game"
    Easy proof you are a self made hero!

I saw such a suggestion on the D3 subreddit only with seasonal co-op achievements and looked into it as an additional way to check people's actions against their word. As far as I can tell, you can't see exactly which achievements anyone else has earned by looking at their profile. If it's up to them to just submit a screenshot, that's probably just as easy to fake as any methods of cheating. Unless I missed something that allows you to see others' specific achievements, there is no reliable method for 100% ruling out cheating...but feel free to share if you know one that we might be able to implement by the next season if questionable players are a big issue in the inaugural season.
    I me like the ideas + :-)
    02/17/2018 10:30 PMPosted by Replay

I think that you're missing some of the idea here that this is all about fun which involves a specific way to play that many people enjoy or have been wanting for a very long time.

There's no way to have a 100% foolproof method here without Blizzard officially supporting SSF and may I remind you that there are people always cheating/exploiting outside of SSF which Blizzard has shown that even they are incapable of cleaning it up 100%

This isn't some kind of courtroom where every participant will be called to the stand to find out if they'll lie under oath. The hope here is that the cheaters/exploiters/botters/ will see SSF as pointless and keep their shenanigans in the main realm away from us SSF players and in turn a special community is created of like-minded players that have many of the same goals.

Fun differs from person to person, and for me fun goes hand in hand with competition. That being said, Blizzard failed to keep cheaters out, which is why I play so little of each season. I think I played less than 50 hours last season, just did the season journey and GR100 clear then left. It seemed hopeful that a third party group like this would have the potential to keep cheaters out better than Blizzard.

On the other hand, trying to force a "SSF" into the character name, yet not attempting to fully block out cheaters is a little awkward. Why make a specific naming requirement to join a competition that may already be tainted anyways? I'd rather submit full video evidence of my runs than have to tag "SSF" onto my character name. If the SSF tag was to fully police the players to make sure there is no cheating going on, that would at least make sense. Right now it simply sounds like a tag for self promotion.