Introducing the Solo Self-Found League!

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 18 Next
It's just a character name...One slot out of what? 15.

Most people just type gibberish or don't really care what the name is.

I see dumb stuff like pooophead and other outrageous crap on almost every profile.

There's no reason to OCD over something that's irrelevant like a dumb character name.

When I watch Leviathan play he likes to use the name Katniss but it always reminds me of Katpiss. I don't give him any crap about it.
This is meant to be fun.

Everyone knows this won't be foolproof. I give them a lot of credit trying to admin this whole thing and doing what they can with what they can.

If you're going to worry that much about cheaters or polluted players, this probably isn't for you.
02/17/2018 05:16 PMPosted by DOA
Not using vendors/crafting, that's just martyrdom.

That´s why this "Mode" is called SELF-Found.
And not self-bought/crafted/gambled.

If you don´t know what Self-Found is or don´t want to play Self-Found then don´t call it Self-Found.

02/17/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
basic idea here is just to provide a niche where solo-only players can gauge their performance against other like-minded players

No problem with that.Then call it Solo League
Anything else is false advertising.
02/17/2018 07:53 PMPosted by TianZi
I think the biggest issue is that the rules simply are not enforceable.
02/17/2018 11:29 PMPosted by TianZi
Why make a specific naming requirement to join a competition that may already be tainted anyways?
Maybe OP is more interested in making noise and gaining viewers to his/her stream/channel than making something serious?

02/17/2018 11:48 PMPosted by ten
Everyone knows this won't be foolproof.
02/17/2018 10:30 PMPosted by Replay
There's no way to have a 100% foolproof method
Of course there is - gameplay recording. You just need proper organization, honest reviewers and meaningful rules. What the current league offers atm is a mix of fun and trust/honor policy, which will end up with casuals playing honest and trolls botting on new accounts whole Season, finally submitting "proof" of the final GR clear meanwhile laughing their A off.

02/17/2018 11:48 PMPosted by ten
I give them a lot of credit trying to admin this whole thing and doing what they can with what they can.
I give them credit only for starting such initiative. Besides that OP hasn't showed until now that:
- He/She is doing this for the cause - namely the SSF league - and not for something else of personal value
- He/She wants to discuss the topic with other posters and improve the format
- He/She wants to cooperate with other people to enforce meaningful rules
- He/She wants to devote time to the project creating pleasant experience for the participants
- He/She wants to introduce more people to the SSF mode and make Blizzard consider implementing it into the game
So many nit pickers and OTT suggestions for something that's meant to be FUN and doesn't even have prizes.

There's no way everything can be 100% enforced by someone outside of Blizzard, even Blizzard themselves are having a hard time doing it. Simply making sure no GR's are done in groups and maybe check the played time of the top 10 of each class for potential botting is all that can really be done.

Recording everything is a pretty silly idea as well. Not only would that put a LOT of people off (I'd guess it would be the large majority) but that would only work if you could be 100% sure they've only played whilst recording.

If you don't like it, don't join in and leave the rest of us to have fun with it.
Of course there is - gameplay recording.

Even if someone was crazy enough to record every second of their three month seasonal gameplay that would still mean it would take an adjudicator another three months to review it and approve it. This is why it has to rely on honesty / honour, which is why it's open to abuse by people that are willing to cheat.
02/18/2018 02:26 AMPosted by Meteorblade
Of course there is - gameplay recording.

Even if someone was crazy enough to record every second of their three month seasonal gameplay that would still mean it would take an adjudicator another three months to review it and approve it. This is why it has to rely on honesty / honour, which is why it's open to abuse by people that are willing to cheat.

It wouldn't quite that bad as you can skip through the videos but every time someone logs on you'd still have to verify that the GR keys, experience, materials and gear are all the same as when they logged off. That would still be a major pain in the butt if there are more than a handfull of people participating
^^ We, not really. If a person can play 6 hours a week due to personal life, then that's 36 hours of video in a Season. If he views that video at 1.25 speed, that's about 29 hours, and at 1.5 speed, that's 24 hours. Realistically, you could see that in about 26 hours straight.

The real problem arises when there are 10 people in the league, and only one guy administering. It might take a while to get final results. Especially if he has a life...
02/18/2018 02:46 AMPosted by Craftyßanana
It wouldn't quite that bad as you can skip through the videos but every time someone logs on you'd still have to verify that the GR keys, experience, materials and gear are all the same as when they logged off. That would still be a major pain in the butt if there are more than a handfull of people participating
You have to spend more time only for the top results. No one really cares if a low rank dude snatched a "free cache" here and there.

Also, I already suggested a more advanced and competitively oriented mode:
- No ancient items used
- No bounties completed

This way "free caches" can not be acquired at all since you can see the completed bounties in the profiles.

An additional rule as Ouroboros suggested for capped @800 paragon would be even nicer, but there is no way to verify the final clear.
Another thing that could be introduced is maximum number of completed Rifts. These numbers can be tracked in the profiles too and different types of leagues can more easily be based on that instead of total time played.

For example - four types of leagues:
1) 500 maximum Rifts completed
2) 1000 maximum Rifts completed
3) 2000 maximum Rifts completed
4) No limit of Rifts completed

The player states the league he wants to participate in and everyone can verify this in his profile later.

This essentially puts a soft Paragon cap in place since one can't grind 5k paragon with 500 Rifts completed.

So the league could look like this:
- Rifts completed requirement
- No ancient items used
- No bounties completed
02/18/2018 03:12 AMPosted by Skelos
02/18/2018 02:46 AMPosted by Craftyßanana
You have to spend more time only for the top results. No one really cares if a low rank dude snatched a "free cache" here and there.

Also, I already suggested a more advanced and competitively oriented mode:
- No ancient items used
- No bounties completed

This way "free caches" can not be acquired at all since you can see the completed bounties in the profiles.

An additional rule as Ouroboros suggested for capped @800 paragon would be even nicer, but there is no way to verify the final clear.

I'm here because I liked what Leviathan has suggested and I'd like it to stay as close to what was originally proposed as possible.

Clearly you think what he's proposed is inadequate so go make your own league with as many restrictions as you want. I will point out though that every single one of your posts has been downvoted multiple times so maybe you're in the minority on wanting those rules implemented?
02/18/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Craftyßanana
I will point out though that every single one of your posts has been downvoted multiple times so maybe you're in the minority on wanting those rules implemented?
As far as I know being in the minority does NOT violate any posting rule?
02/18/2018 03:43 AMPosted by Skelos
02/18/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Craftyßanana
I will point out though that every single one of your posts has been downvoted multiple times so maybe you're in the minority on wanting those rules implemented?
As far as I know being in the minority does NOT violate any posting rule?

I meant only that very few people seem actually want what you're proposing.
Do they know what they want at all? Because to me it seems they want some kind of strange competition? You already CAN play SSF, you know that? There is no need for a league for that. A league means competition. And THIS KIND of competition is retarded since it can EASILY be abused.
02/18/2018 12:39 AMPosted by DEATHWISH

If you don´t know what Self-Found is or don´t want to play Self-Found then don´t call it Self-Found.

basic idea here is just to provide a niche where solo-only players can gauge their performance against other like-minded players

Imagine chucking a hissy-fit because someone used a hyphenated word to mean something different to what you mean by it.
02/18/2018 03:12 AMPosted by Skelos
No one really cares if a low rank dude snatched a "free cache" here and there.

I get what the OP is trying to accomplish, but there's no way to check / enforce that people are following the rules so if cheating is tolerated or undetected, regardless of the cheater's rank, that renders the competition pointless.
02/18/2018 03:49 AMPosted by Skelos
Do they know what they want at all? Because to me it seems they want some kind of strange competition? You already CAN play SSF, you know that? There is no need for a league for that. A league means competition. And THIS KIND of competition is retarded since it can EASILY be abused.

I get where you're coming from, don't get me wrong, but the whole recording thing is not only a lot of hassle but can be daunting for most people as very few have experience with video creation / editing / uploading. I'm pretty sure it would deter most people who would otherwise be interested in participating and would in turn weaken the message to Blizzard that part of the community would like this solo-competative mode.

If there were prizes to be won, I'd totally be on board with what you're saying as I'd feel robbed if I lost to someone suspicious.

As it stands though, it's not even started yet so throwing all these additional restrictions / requirements could be prevent it from taking of entirely. It would be best to keep it easily accessible now and refine the rules between each season.
02/18/2018 12:39 AMPosted by DEATHWISH

Uh no. self found doesn't mean only using what you pick up off the ground because found is in the description. It means only using what you can obtain in game without receiving items from others. Does solo mean I can't have a follower? Gambling and crafting are part of the game. Using items gained from them is considered self found by all but you.
Guys, you can't possibly make it happen without support from the devs.
All alternatives are ineffective, impractical, pointless, unrealistic and some are even hilarious.
Make enough noise and maybe you can convince the devs to lift a finger. But it looks like they won't give a !@#$... they got no reason to.
02/18/2018 04:15 AMPosted by TobiasPeste
All alternatives are ineffective, impractical, pointless, unrealistic and some are even hilarious.
You know you can have many modes in D3, right?