Introducing the Solo Self-Found League!

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 18 Next
Rock on SSF League!

I can hear the roar ahead of us as Friday is approaching!
We have some very talented D3 players that are in the SSF community and SSF Clan- Europe and NA.

I am fired up and have a HC monk I will level in Europe at 11am EST Friday.

I will then level a SC monk in America's at 8pm EST Friday.

Back and forth I will play these two regional monks and with 2 weeks be doing 80+ GR's moving to 90 in a matter of days if not already done.
02/18/2018 01:17 PMPosted by ETpagh
Sorry if this has been asked before but does it matter where we put the SSF reference in our character name? Does it need to be before or after the character name?

Up to your discretion. Whatever you think looks more appealing.
02/18/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Lscott
my fear is that after a few days into the new season, there will be players listed at Paragon 700 and GR 95.

I cleared GR92 at p590ish on my IK HotA Barb on day one in season 12. Paragon below 700 and GR90ish is nothing (for strong builds).

https://i.imgur.com/XUw01zF.jpg
Hey wolf crier is that you sir?
If we group on our seasonal SC characters, can we still participate in HC SSF?
Out of interest, do you have a rough idea on how many people may be taking part in this? Also, do you know if many streamers are going to be involved?
02/19/2018 02:13 AMPosted by Savage
If we group on our seasonal SC characters, can we still participate in HC SSF?

Yes.

02/19/2018 02:17 AMPosted by Craftyßanana
Out of interest, do you have a rough idea on how many people may be taking part in this? Also, do you know if many streamers are going to be involved?

No real way to know until the season starts and the submissions come in. Same way you never really know who’s going to do what for Seasons in general. We’ll see in a few days.
02/17/2018 03:47 AMPosted by homerjnick
Is there a guide as to the best and efficient way to play solo in a season?
Well, since there is no time/rifts restriction and they can't verify whether you group or not for the rifts and bounties, the most efficient way will depend on how much time you want to invest and whether you cheat or not:

A) You do it honorable (no cheat):

A1) You can invest a few hours per day:
1. Start with the class you will push with.
2. Farm items, keys and upgrade the gems you need for the first 2 months. Remember to gamble following strictly priorities - you need ancient version of the weapon for maximum dps.
3. Make bounties/rifts for the next two weeks depending on what you need to upgrade and how many keys you have to invest for pushing (you have to know the fishing ratio of your class and your maximum reachable GR level - once you know these, you will know the average number of keys you need).
4. Push until the end of the Season or until you run out of keys/motivation.

A2) You can dedicate all your time:
1. Start with the class you can farm solo GRs fastest.
2. Farm keys, paragon and bounties for the first 2 months and upgrade the gems you need. Remember to gamble with your class for pushing.
3. Equip the class you will push with and make bounties/rifts for the next two weeks depending on what you need to upgrade and how many keys you have to invest for pushing (you have to know the fishing ratio of your class and your maximum reachable GR level - once you know these, you will know the average number of keys you need).
4. Push until the end of the Season or until you run out of keys/motivation.

B) You cheat:
1. Start with the class you can farm solo GRs fastest.
2. Farm paragon for the first 2 months and upgrade the gems you need.
3. Equip the classes you will push with for the next few days using the free mats.
4. Push until the end of the Season.
02/18/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Replay
All of the rules in the document and what's explained in the YT video are completely fine.

The rules might be fine but as it's not possible to ensure that people stick to them any rankings are based on unverifiable underpinnings and are therefore suspect.
Oh Leviathan, I have a doubt:

If you play strickly HC (which is my case, this is not my main ACC by the way), and happens to die with your SSF character.

I assume you can still use upgraded gems and backup gear in your stash, considering you have aquired them on your previous SSF character, right?

I mean, disconnects are a real deal back in HC.. you oughtta have backups!

Cheers!
02/19/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Unwind
Oh Leviathan, I have a doubt:

If you play strickly HC (which is my case, this is not my main ACC by the way), and happens to die with your SSF character.

I assume you can still use upgraded gems and backup gear in your stash, considering you have aquired them on your previous SSF character, right?

I mean, disconnects are a real deal back in HC.. you oughtta have backups!

Cheers!

Of course you can access the stash. It's not against SSF league rules.

Some people are taking the term SSF a bit too literally. As long as you're always the only player in a game (you must exclusively only play solo) then you'll be fine. You can still do the cube thing, stash thing, and vendor thing, etc. as long as other players are not in the same game as you.
02/18/2018 09:19 PMPosted by HunterKiller
02/18/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Lscott
my fear is that after a few days into the new season, there will be players listed at Paragon 700 and GR 95.

I cleared GR92 at p590ish on my IK HotA Barb on day one in season 12. Paragon below 700 and GR90ish is nothing (for strong builds).

Wow! If that's true, then I don't know why an SSF league would appeal to you, as that performance is clearly leaderboard worthy under current terms. I certainly come no where close to that, so this SSF league may not be for me. thanks.
02/19/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Lscott
I certainly come no where close to that, so this SSF league may not be for me. thanks.
I don't think that only the top players are going to participate. And you are bound to be in the spreadsheet no matter the gr level so it will be more motivating to climb. Besides, you don't need to be as fast as HunterKiller, seasons last for 3 months you know
02/19/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Meteorblade
The rules might be fine but as it's not possible to ensure that people stick to them any rankings are based on unverifiable underpinnings and are therefore suspect.

Give it a shot this season.

Watch the video to understand what this is about and have fun.
02/19/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Lscott
02/18/2018 09:19 PMPosted by HunterKiller

Wow! If that's true, then I don't know why an SSF league would appeal to you, as that performance is clearly leaderboard worthy under current terms. I certainly come no where close to that, so this SSF league may not be for me. thanks.

Don't be discouraged. I think the main objective of this type of initiative is to actually have a way to accurately gauge your own performance versus other like-minded folks. I've been requesting this type of thing for a long time, not because I think I'll get the top LB spot (which I most certainly won't), but because I find it interesting to see how my own efforts stack against other people playing solo. For a very long time have I felt there's just no way to accurately gauge this, and it's extremely disheartening.

My only exception was split bounties, but having everyone under the same rules with the same restrictions will make bounties seem far less punishing than they actually are for solo players.

I really hope Blizzard is paying close attention to this experiment. For a long time they've turned a blind eye on this particular request, but just seeing how upvoted the OP is thus far, I'm actually hoping all that traction can end up proving them there's a special niche here they can cater to with very little effort in the future, just like GGG did with PoE. It's literally as simple as adding a few filters in the leaderboards system to tag accounts that haven't grouped up over the course of a season, without having to adjust or balance anything around it, because this would instantly establish a closed ecosystem solo players can call home, without having individual efforts completely obscured by the massive perks groups get.

I also wouldn't get too caught in whether the guys organizing this can enforce every single rule or not. The way I see it is, if this results into something that can potentially rekindle the will to play the game for a lot of people, it may be worth considering as an actual feature in the future, especially considering the ephemeral nature of seasons, which don't lock you in forever. Cheaters already cheat within the established systems, but this type of initiative imho comes across more as a statement of something a lot of us in the community want than an actual rigorously moderated competition.
02/19/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
I really hope Blizzard is paying close attention to this experiment. For a long time they've turned a blind eye on this particular request, but just seeing how upvoted the OP is thus far, I'm actually hoping all that traction can end up proving them there's a special niche
It's not a niche at all. There was a poll on reddit about solo vs group play - https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3hz1kt/do_you_prefer_group_play_or_solo/

The reason they don't want SSF in D3 is because even more people will stop playing in groups. This means less sells from character DLCs since groups maximum size is 4 and releasing new DLCs means creating new 4s META. If the char is OP in 4s META, but equal in solo and you have a SSF mode, you don't need to buy it.

Now the question for them becomes: What is the better ROI - SSF mode or percent of DLC sales dropping due to SSF mode? The answer depends on how many more DLCs they plan to release - if it is only the Druid and they are done with these then SSF is probably the better ROI. But what if they plan to bring Amazon or Bard back too? It's close. I'd still release the SSF since as you said it's easy to program and many people enjoy it - percent of those players in PoE is rising.
If you remove the familiar ring of "Solo Self Found" like some buzz-word, you should be able to better hear the dull rattle of brittle bones and worn out ideas.
02/19/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Blashyrkh

I really hope Blizzard is paying close attention to this experiment. For a long time they've turned a blind eye on this particular request, but just seeing how upvoted the OP is thus far, I'm actually hoping all that traction can end up proving them there's a special niche here they can cater to with very little effort in the future, just like GGG did with PoE. It's literally as simple as adding a few filters in the leaderboards system to tag accounts that haven't grouped up over the course of a season, without having to adjust or balance anything around it, because this would instantly establish a closed ecosystem solo players can call home, without having individual efforts completely obscured by the massive perks groups get.

I also wouldn't get too caught in whether the guys organizing this can enforce every single rule or not. The way I see it is, if this results into something that can potentially rekindle the will to play the game for a lot of people, it may be worth considering as an actual feature in the future, especially considering the ephemeral nature of seasons, which don't lock you in forever. Cheaters already cheat within the established systems, but this type of initiative imho comes across more as a statement of something a lot of us in the community want than an actual rigorously moderated competition.

I don't see it happening.

Blizzard has always pushed the multiplayer aspects of this game to the point where they rebalanced everything so there's a significant advantage to grouping up.

Plus, of the ARPGs, Diablo 3 is really the only multiplayer one. Grim Dawn has multiplayer but it's difficult to get people, PoE has multiplayer but it can be hazardous and is more often incidental (IE, grouping for a boss). Wolcen doesn't look like it'll have multiplayer on launch. Etc, etc. Blizzard's the only one that went out of its way to include and embrace it and synergize it.

To me, this SSF thing a confusing dichotomy. Not meant to be insulting. I just don't understand it. It's like.. "Hey everyone, let's get together and play! By ourselves."
02/19/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Orrion
this SSF thing a confusing dichotomy. Not meant to be insulting. I just don't understand it. It's like.. "Hey everyone, let's get together and play! By ourselves."
Well, yeah, if you remove the competitive aspect it's absurd. This is what I was telling them in this thread - somehow they refuse to see it and insist it is fun to have a SSF league, just for the sake of it. Not only that - they buried all my posts - that is what I call nice co-forumers. You could have skipped at least the guide guys, rofl.
02/19/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Skelos
The reason they don't want SSF in D3 is because even more people will stop playing in groups. This means less sells from character DLCs since groups maximum size is 4 and releasing new DLCs means creating new 4s META. If the char is OP in 4s META, but equal in solo and you have a SSF mode, you don't need to buy it.

You're working on the assumption people actually want to play multiplayer. A lot of us don't. Probably just as many as those who actually enjoy cooperative play. A lot of people have stated over the years they only do so because of how ridiculously over-rewarding it is. Multiplayer in this game isn't anything close to a choice as it was initially advertised, especially since RoS. Having this type of competitive segmentation would ensure it actually becomes one. People who legitimately enjoy playing with their friends can continue to do so.

Besides, what makes you believe there can't be a meta within this as well? What makes you think people will just buy a character only because it's OP? I bought the necromancer not because I thought it was too strong, but because I play ARPGs to try as many alternatives as I can to approach the available content. This is why I think character packs are the smartest way to expand the game, despite everyone and their mom complaining about not getting more story only to run it a couple times and going back to the core grinding gameplay we're used to in this type of game.

And why should I be forced into group play just to be efficient, anyways? Why does everything need to be tuned around massive group buffs and utterly ridiculous power gaps? I've always preferred my Diablo served solo. D2 didn't leave much of a choice either, but at least there the utterly boring baal run process had an end once you hit 99, and that's about it, because the last 10 levels weren't even all that relevant, since the highest level requirement for gear was like 84 for Tyrael's Might. The usual PvP gear (which was for many the true endgame) was way under that. In my case, I enjoyed coursing through the game on my own, usually through both nightmare and hell where I actually had full access to all my skills.

02/19/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Orrion
To me, this SSF thing a confusing dichotomy. Not meant to be insulting. I just don't understand it. It's like.. "Hey everyone, let's get together and play! By ourselves."

You're right. You're not understanding it. It's a completely different game when you approach it on your own, just like HC is for harshly punishing death. Fostering a community doesn't mean you need to be in the same room as your friends. It can happen through concepts and ideas like-minded people share with each other. See the OP? These guys set up a discord server. You know, because people playing solo can still talk to each other if they so desire, completely dismantling the quite frankly silly strawman argument about solo players being antisocial or some other nonsense along those lines some people like to keep bringing up whenever the topic shows up. Besides, competition for people who like to approach the game on their own, fully aware their performance won't be padded by someone else's either positively or negatively can be quite an interesting motivator. One that a lot of us have been hoping Blizzard at least tries to acknowledge instead of trying to push us to play in groups while constantly ignoring us.

If there's a topic where I'm legitimately interested in seeing a blue post in it would be this one. I'd love to learn what their thoughts about this kind of thing are. The pros and the cons from their design perspective. Anything, really. They haven't even talked to us in quite a while except to tell us to behave before locking up a thread or something, and that's if they even say something to begin with...