My impression of the game

General Discussion
A few days ago I decided to get the game and see all the nifty modern improvements over D2 were added. I got RoS along with it to get everything. It was severely underwhelming for multiple reasons.

I'm not going to add the always online bull!@#$ to this list, because I knew about it ahead of time and, while acknowledging that whoever was responsible for it should be transported to a random settlement on Earth any time they want to add an idea to any future games, I went ahead with the purchase despite this, so for one I was mentally prepared for it, and if I was prepared to put up with it going in, it wouldn't make sense to list it as a reason for while I disliked my experience.

Now, here are the 2 major reasons why I found D3 a disappointment:
#1: My principal reason is that the playthrough was childishly easy. I picked Templar, went in prepared to have to be on my toes as a tanky melee character and make good decisions to keep enemies split and manage resources to keep my hp bar up while I can kill them. Instead my hp barely ever dropped to a visible degree. I cranked up the difficulty as high as the game would allow in the middle of the first act, and this changed nothing.
The 4 bosses I took down by straight up tanking everything they dished out. The biggest disappoinment of these 4 was Belial. I started the fight normally, trying to avoid his attacks, and then I realized that I can beat him by just clicking on him and waiting 10 minutes, hitting a defensive ability when he launched into his barrage to be absolutely sure he can't kill me with that either.
Now call me crazy, but I think that even for legendary heroes, fighting a lord of hell itself should feel like an uphill battle in which if the hero doesn't focus, sweat blood and imrpovise well enough they will be stomped like a bug. And the emotional reward should come from the accomplishment of achieving something challenging. Not to mention Azmodan's dialogue during the entire third act is just taunting the hero and boasting of his own power, which only gets the proper emotional response from the player if they don't feel like unbeatable gods compared to whom an ancient master of evil is but a worm underfoot. When the spider demon at the end of the act brags about being a concubine of Azmodan the player should think "this one is high up among the demons, this will be a tough fight", not "I bet you bug things have a thing for one another".
I don't know if the crusader is just horribly imbalanced, or all other castes have the same experience, but either way Blizzard seriously dropped the ball here.

#2: Immersion, or specifically the lack of focus on it. There are three main problems I had that led to D3 being woefully unimmersive. The first an most important are the items. In D2, I was always accutely aware what gear my character was sporting and that gear was part of the identity of the character. The way that game achieved this was by containing an array of widely differing items each with unique feels, like early game items being crummy, some items being cool, like the larger shields, some being uniquely interesting like bone helms and some being straight up weird like conserved heads. The items were proportional to each other in the inventory that gave a feeling that they were really there, as unrealistic the idea is if you take the time to think about it, in the character's backpack. If an item was designed with some special stat focus, it sometimes had a discoloration indicating what it did and highlighting it among similar items. With the advance in technology since then I was looking forward to D3 taking this to new heights, rarer items granting all sorts of unique and interesting bonuses while each item has its own visual distinctiveness. Instead whoever designed the item system seems like just didn't care.
D3 items are barely different from one another, a generic looking tiny image associated with a set of stats, with a helmet, a short sword, a claymore and a full plate armor all fitting in the same space. This screams "yo, you shouldn't care about what you wear, just take a cursory look at the stats and maximize what you can." Which would be a fine attitude in a highly tactical game, but aside from being careful and paying attention to positioning and what you engage at one time, the Diablo games are mostly just about bumrushing enemies, and, for me at least, the fun of these games comes from being able to immerse myself in them.
The second is the level up system. Originally when I heard about it I thought this system was worse than the D2 system because it would give less options, which I found to be completely untrue. However the complete lack of choice this system offers in terms of a character's capabilities is much worse than the drawback I expected. This, again, comes back to being able to identify whith the character I play through her gaining her identity through my choices.
To put the above two criticisms simply: in D2 whenever I saw a rare or better item that I could use dropped, I got excited and each level up was a rewarding experience that I looked forward to. In D3 I didn't bother looking at what I picked up until my inventory was filled and I was back in town looking at what to sell and what to keep, dealing with itemization was more of a chore than fun. At the later levels leveling up straight up meant nothing, it didn't feel like a reward, it was more of a bother to look through all the unlocked options I knew I wouldn't use.
And the final problem with immersion is the myriad of tiny stupidities in minor parts of the script. Like when the enchantress comments on how Deckard Cain would never have said what his apparition in act 4 did, while never having met with that character, or how in the expansion the hooded dude accompanies you to meet Adria with the specific purpose to make sure you don't kill her ahead of time, and then when you arrive he doesn't walk in with you because... he doesn't care about his original goal anymore?

Overall, I have played with most classic and modern Blizzard games and this is the only one where I feel like they dropped the ball miserably.
Little late to the party.. your reviewing a game that is many many years old.
02/18/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Azamo

The game is still available for purchase and the servers online
Yeah speaking of immersion, the color of elites and their random out of place elite affixes really bother me in addition to the things you mentioned.

Difficulty has been totally out of wack sense they went this route of exploded power of legendary and set items (and inflate primary stat) and had to incorporate 15+ different difficulty levels plus 150 different end game levels.
Nice wall of text. Yah D2 was great. No D3 isnt as good. Only game in D3 is grinding Greater rifts with bots and cheats.
Yeah story mode and leveling to 70 is basically the games tutorial.

You need to burn through the story (don't worry, you won't miss anything special) to get to adventure mode.

That's where the difficulty is, and it scales almost indefinitely.

I don't blame you for being disappointed with your experience up until now, if you have only played the story mode on a fresh account.
I understand why you would expect this game to be like D2 but you should have done your research. If you want something more D2 style, I highly recommend Path of Exile. There's also Grim Dawn but I can't vouch for it since I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

D3 used to be much more challenging, don't let the current state of the game fool you. The challenge now is not in the story or even adventure mode but rather pushing end-game content (greater rifts). It's always lacked the same immersion and diversity that D2 had but it has a unique flavour of its own and I quite enjoy it.

It's a great game if you give it a chance, but not for the same reasons. It fills a niche in video games that I did not know even existed prior to playing but I would not feel the same way without it. I've never loved the game but I appreciate it and I always find myself coming back to it now and again which says something.

You have to take it at face value and enjoy it for what it is, not hate it for what it could have been. If you are willing to do that, I'm sure you'll find some enjoyment playing.
02/18/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Azamo

Yeah, that is exactly what I wanted to write here.

And 1 more thing. If you miss D2, go play D2.
Lightning doesn't strike twice.
Part of the problem is that Blizzard has a track record of making extremely high quality games, which leads to great expectations, and Diablo II especially enjoys a legendary status among gamers. In this light it is hardly surprising that Diablo III would be a major letdown for a lot of people. It is hard to meet such expectations but it seems indeed that Blizzard didn't really care and was more interested in catering to their core audience, namely WoW noobs.

The points the OP criticizes have been criticized thousands of times before, not making the critique redundant but rather indicating that these are indeed the core issues of the game. Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't care at this point.

Now if the OP only knew that the game was even far worse at launch... especially the itemization!
02/18/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Kveldulv

https://www.livescience.com/13704-empire-state-building-lightning-strike.html
    The Empire State Building is struck by lightning about 20 to 25 times each year, on average, said Martin Uman, a lightning expert at the University of Florida in Gainesville. The building was once struck eight times in 24 minutes, so being hit three times within a short time span isn't that unusual.
Yeah, I know the game is pretty old at this point, that's why I initially thought balance wouldn't be an issue.

And I know that probably there is nothing new about what I said, I just had to vent after the experience.

As far as the game starting where the story mode ends is concept I understand in practice but have a very difficult time making sense of in principle. After the story mode there isn't new content to strive for, no specific goals to achieve, it's just grinding for better items and more levels, which might be fun for a short while (did it for a few hours after I posted this), but I imagine it will wear thin very quickly.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I imagined a lot fewer comments and much more backlash, but apparently I'm not alone with the experience I had. Let's hope if there will ever be a D4, these issues will be addressed in it :)
Never heard of anyone hating on the online section of D3 and buying it just for the story mode but again, I did that with another game so who am I to judge. Cute tho
I had some dissappointment too when I first started playing D3 and I think it's because I kept comparing it to D2 and even D1.

But, while it does share a similar template to its predecessors, it's not really the same type of game. Satisfaction, in D3, is derived from aspects of the game that differ from D2 and D1.

For example in D1 I derived satisfaction from going through the entire game and completing it including killing Diablo. I also derived satisfaction from collecting some of the rare items and also maxing out my character.

Similar in D2 except it was much much harder to max out the character (basically impossible at one point) and getting the items you wanted was also a very time consuming ordeal. This left me somewhat jaded with D2 and all the time I wasted looking for things I never found.

D3 is a different experience. I am having fun not just playing the game but also collecting all the various cosmetic items. The wings, the portrait frames, the pets, the pennants and the rare transmogs. And while they're not easy to find, they're not impossible either. Put in a bit of time and you will be rewarded. It's not the massive waste of time that D2 was.

Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of all these D2 vs D3 comparisons. Each game had its good and bad, but putting D2 on a pedestal and pretending it was perfect is a fallacy. There were aspects of that game what were woeful.
02/19/2018 03:40 PMPosted by ETpagh

Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of all these D2 vs D3 comparisons. Each game had its good and bad, but putting D2 on a pedestal and pretending it was perfect is a fallacy. There were aspects of that game what were woeful.

For a long, long time I actively hated on D2, in retrospect, for pretty bad reasons, but as flawed a game it was, it was fun to play. As the direct predecessor to D3, it is the obvious thing to compare to and the obvious game to base expectations on, one of the very reasonable ones of which is that as a direct sequel D3 should thrive to improve on what was good and fix what didn't work.

D3, instead, feels more like WoW, a game I haven't played in years, specifically because of how it's all about grinding. I fully acknowledge that WoW is a great game, but it's not the experience I'm looking for and finding some of its core mechanics (exponential scaling of enemy stats with level, level included directly in the math for combat interactions, etc...) and principles in the D3 game design was, I think justifiedly, disappointing.
02/18/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Kveldulv

https://www.livescience.com/13704-empire-state-building-lightning-strike.html
    The Empire State Building is struck by lightning about 20 to 25 times each year, on average, said Martin Uman, a lightning expert at the University of Florida in Gainesville. The building was once struck eight times in 24 minutes, so being hit three times within a short time span isn't that unusual.

Unfortunately Diablo 3 is not as big as the empire state building. D3 would be more on the scale of a run down trailer.

Well it's version 3 of the series so I imagine people expect expect some continuity...

It's like if NBA Live 2019 came out and is NBA Jam like and you tell the fans to stop complaining because it's 'a different type of game.'. It's a bit silly.
02/19/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Headsoup

Well it's version 3 of the series so I imagine people expect expect some continuity...

It's like if NBA Live 2019 came out and is NBA Jam like and you tell the fans to stop complaining because it's 'a different type of game.'. It's a bit silly.

You can't get people to understand that though. Wanting the third installment to a game to be like the previous is just asking for too much apparently.

How i envy CoD fans sometimes, it may be the same damn game every year but at least the devs know what their fans want.
If you want a challenge, you can always finish the story, get to 70 and unlock the higher difficulty levels. Then, make a new character in story mode at torment 6 difficulty.
In early days of diablo 3, there was inferno difficulty above hell. I spent 8 hours, hundreds of tries just to kill belial. I couldn’t move forward after that due to lack of gear, until I had enough gold to purchase a rare weapon with 1,500,000 gold, and that helped me kill diablo with again lots of tries. Game is so different now, can be good or bad. :)
02/19/2018 01:14 AMPosted by zoliking
After the story mode there isn't new content to strive for, no specific goals to achieve, it's just grinding for better items and more levels, which might be fun for a short while (did it for a few hours after I posted this), but I imagine it will wear thin very quickly.

Yup, they just add new cheap content every once in a while,, like the seasons thing, or a new character (like the Necromancer, which was not even free content though). It's hilarious how this is obviously their last resort to maintain the game alive, and the stupid D3 fanboys won't get tired of defending it and get buttblasted if you point out anything wrong with the game.