Bane of the stricken

Items and Crafting
I'm just looking for clarification on what this gem does.

Lvl 90 gem:
"Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 1.7%"
So if I hit something ten times, that tenth hit will deliver an additional 17%. This seems like a minuscule amount. Is there something I'm missing here?

After lvl 25:
"Gain 25% increased damage against bosses and Rift Guardians."
That's not bad, but bosses means the likes of Belial, Skeleton King, right? That doesn't include elites?
The damage buff may seem miniscule but against a tough target those stacks build quickly and with that the damage the target takes.

Not sure whether the stacks apply the buff additively (above example 10 stacks is 10x1.7%) or multiplicatively (10 stacks is 1.017%^10). Someone with proper knowledge might fill me in.

The secondary buff applies only towards rift guardians and bosses, not standard elites.
this gem is for big bosses like rift guardians and is one of the most powerful gems in the game. without it high grifts would not be possible cause of the amount of hp of rift guardians.

of course, if you hit a mob only 10 times till it dies, it is not very effective. but thats not where it is used.
Yep. But Striken is really meant for high GR pushing when killing the RG where it becomes a necessity if you want to complete the GR. On lower GR's and normal rifts it is better to run something like BotP instead.

Most high GR runs now have a Necro that just sits there and smacks the RG for like 2min to get hundreds of stacks with Stricken then pop LotD and mow it down in no time.
When you say "high GRs", I assume you mean high for the specific player, as opposed to "over 100". I don't doubt what any of you are saying, but I can't help wondering if I used a gem that was useful throughout the entire rift, perhaps I'd get to the guardian sooner hand have more time to take him down using my normal damage.
Stricken:

Stacks are additive with each other, but summed up turn into multiplier.

Example:

Stricken level 120, 2% Increase per hit

5 hits = (0.02+0.02+0.02+0.02+0.02) = 0.1 = your Damage coming from ANY source of yours at this point will gain 10% separate multiplier (so 1.1x to all Damage) to the enemy that has these Stacks on. Let’s say you are running a build that needs 5 hits of generator to fill your resource, and can deal 5 hits with that resource till it will disappear. Let’s also assume that both of those attacks (generator and spender) have same attack speed measured in frames, be it 58 frames (stricken works of ICD which stands for Internal Cooldown, this mechanics is responsive for amount of stacks you can do per second, it is 0.9 x FPA which stands for Frames Per Animation). Because D3 by default works of 60 frames per second, if your skill takes 58 frames to perform an Attack, you will do one attack per second. If your skill needs 29 frames, it will be 2 attacks per second, for 15 frames, it will be 4 per second and so on. You shortening skill animation length via brakepoints that you reach with attack speed.

So, to get back on track, in above example, you will deal 5 hits of generator in 5 seconds (so it is 5x0.02) and than follow with your primary damage dealer (heavy hitting resource spender) for another 5 attacks. You will get (5x0.02) + (5x0.02) within these 10 seconds of fight. This means that your 11th hit (generator, since you just ran out of resource) will deal damage increased by (10x0.02) -> 0.2 -> 1.2 separate multiplier. You did your 5 hits filling up the resource, that makes is 15 hits total, your first (16’th overall) hit of spender will deal (15x0.02=0.3=1.3 multi), your second hit with the spender will deal (16x0.02=0.32=1.32 multi) Damage, and so on, so your 21st hit (generator again) will deal damage increased by ->(20x0.02 = 0.4) 1.4 separate multiplier.

Important things to know:

- stricken stacks only on ONE enemy with EACH attack you make. If your skill has any AoE (area of effect) to it, you will not be able to “chose” the target on which you will stack Stricken, therefore you will be “diluting” your stacks between enemies affected by your attack. There is this theory of “stricken stacks on first enemy hit” but from my own experience it doesn’t work. This is one of the reasons why when we play RGK in group, we want a single target RG, because adds are not only diluting our primary Damage (in case of Pestilence or DH back in a days for example) but also because instead of getting guaranteed 20 stacks of Stricken we would get 4 or 5 for example.

- stricken works off your actual attack speed, not your sheet attack speed. What this means is, that for example if you are running HoTA barb, and you are at 2.2 sheet Attack Speed, due to legendary affix on Bracers of the first man (increases Attack speed of HoTA by 50%, multiplicative) your actual attack speed is 3.3 (2.2x1.5) and this is the value from which your Stricken will work. Keep in mind that attack speed is not direct factor in Stricken stacking, it is only a “medium”. Stricken works of 0.9 x FPA ICD, so your attack speed suppose to bring you over to higher brakepoint, at which your animation will take less frames. In other words, if your animation takes 15 frames, Stricken works of 0.9x15 ICD, if you stall enough of attack speed, you can reach higher brakepoint, shortening duration of your attack to 14 frames (so 0.9x14 ICD) than 13 (0.9x13) and so on.

- secondary affix of Stricken includes all commonly known “act bosses” and all rift guardians

- stricken stacks don’t disappear in the event of your death, and they don’t disappear if you will leave location (in GR’s). This means that if you happen to get a good pylon at the exit of tile 3, and you ventured into tile 4 for remaining 5% for RG spawn, you can spawn RG on tile 4, stack on him for desired time, go to tile 3, grab pylon and come back, your stacks will still be there :)

- stricken is the only gem we have that scales with the content (Pain enhancer to the extend does it too). Reason for it is, that regardless of your stricken level, it will provide more damage the longer you have to sit on target. Wether you will need 2 minutes for RG or 3 minutes, Trapped will give you same constant multiplier thru this time, while Stricken will keep increasing your damage every second you are in the fight and attacking, therefore higher the difficulty you face, more damage you will deal thanks to that gem.

If you need any further explanation, just ask here. Good luck.
04/13/2018 07:50 AMPosted by enchant
When you say "high GRs", I assume you mean high for the specific player, as opposed to "over 100". I don't doubt what any of you are saying, but I can't help wondering if I used a gem that was useful throughout the entire rift, perhaps I'd get to the guardian sooner hand have more time to take him down using my normal damage.

You cannot effectively stack Stricken in density due to “stacks diluting”, but if you running a build that is somehow balanced and you can gather a map, blow density and be left with a single elite, Stricken may be of some use (allthough I doubt it, time needed to finish the elite is not worth the progression granted, typically). “Higher Gr’s” term is pretty flexible to be honest, it is individual for every player, basically when you start to need more than 2.5 minute for RG it is time to think about getting Stricken into the build. It may be GR 80 for some, it may be GR 90 for others, depending on overall power of your character.
S4v4G3 thanks so much for that post. I've been looking for details on the mechanics of stricken for a while. I usually play as the RGK (pestilence) and was wondering if you know the best technique to get the most out of stricken? I've heard that LoTD doesn't apply it normally, and it is therefore usually best to build stricken stacks with scythe before popping LoTD (rather than popping LoTD instantly and getting to the second round of LoTD faster). Is this the case? Is the 2.01 aps breakpoint the best for stricken?
04/13/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
S4v4G3 thanks so much for that post. I've been looking for details on the mechanics of stricken for a while. I usually play as the RGK (pestilence) and was wondering if you know the best technique to get the most out of stricken? I've heard that LoTD doesn't apply it normally, and it is therefore usually best to build stricken stacks with scythe before popping LoTD (rather than popping LoTD instantly and getting to the second round of LoTD faster). Is this the case? Is the 2.01 aps breakpoint the best for stricken?

Yes, you wanna build stacks with Scythe, and go into LoTD after a while, you will need to eye gauge it a bit. But, there is few things to consider here.

If you know your cooldown on LoTD and you know that you will need 2 rotations no matter what, you may do few swings (~10) to have frailty applied and few stacks, go into LoTD, than stack with Scythe thru your cooldown duration and finishing it off with second LoTD. This is very, very risky procedure, and I don’t recommend it unless you really know your game. Why risky? Because a lot of RG’s will start spawning adds or perform more severe attacks below certain life threshold, and for example Saxtris will start doing it at 75% life, so Saxtris is either “onecycle” or go home. Orlash will get 3 clones instead of 2 as well at certain life point, so bottom line, best way to do it as a RGK is to stack Stricken no matter what, with Scythe, and try to one-cycle it, and of possible have window of opportunity for second cycle. This (second window) is possible only on farming levels, and is highly dependent on your gear quality. For example, I have almost 50% (49.xx) CDR on my RGK, while still at 2.02 APS. This means that my LoTD cooldown is 60 - 61 seconds, this means that if I have 2 minutes for RG I can stack for 30 seconds, go into LoTD, and have enough time to perform one more rotation if things went bad, meanwhile still stacking stricken during downtime.

2.01 brakepoint is not for Stricken really, it is your Lance brakepoint, below that you will be dealing 20% less damage (it is 10 corpses per second vs 12 corpses per second).

Best practice on RGK I come up with - and mind you, I am a barb main and I’m not an expert on this build, but I do have really knowledgeable friends that are kind enough to teach me stuff. Amazing, skilled players. My first ever run on RGK was GR 120, I think that says a lot about them - is pretty simple.

1. If you running with any Vit in paragon, move all points to essence and intelligence right before a spawn

2. Estimate your RG and time you have for him. If you know it spawn adds no matter what, see if zbarb can keep them off since the very beginning, to stack Stricken effectively. If needed, teleport RG to other location once he spawned all adds. You may need to move with zmonk and wiz, while barb keeps RG and adds occupied, once you at your chosen location barb should teleport to town. RG will teleport to you and you need to be ready to shoot almost same moment, before adds will catch up or re-spawn.

3. Stack Stricken with Scythe for as long as it is possible (you need to know your cooldown and you need to know if you can onecycle it).

4. About 10 seconds before you are ready, ask your team to stop attacking. It is mostly zmonk and zbarb that can screw you up. You need this 10 seconds to reset all crowd control on RG so your LoTD will keep RG locked. Zmonk can jump back on RG the moment you start shooting, but no sooner.

5. You wanna use bloodrush to teleport to the point from which you will shoot, not run or walk. Endless Walk bonus matters. Simulacrum have longer duration, you may wanna pop it a tad sooner than LoTD.

6. If RG is your 12 o’clock, you wanna shoot from between 4 and 8 oclock. Never shoot down, always shoot up

7. Make sure you are in open area, standing next to walls will half your damage in most circumstances

8. You wanna go into LoTD on last second of physical, or first second of poison. I was playing with going right in the middle of Physical to have last 4 seconds of LoTD on cold, but it turned out that RG can move a bit that late, you may get unlucky Zeis proc to tip-off his cc and cause him to defrost sooner, or cc wasn’t fully reseted before you went into it. Going into LoTD around the beginning of poison works better, for me, anyways.

9. max-out your distance for Zeis.

10. Speed is gg pylon for RG, when you lack power. Take it ~ 45 seconds before you will go into LoTD, for fast Stricken stacking

Have fun:)
You are an absolute legend. Thanks so much for all the tips :)
04/13/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Erekan
Yep. But Striken is really meant for high GR pushing when killing the RG where it becomes a necessity if you want to complete the GR. On lower GR's and normal rifts it is better to run something like BotP instead.

Most high GR runs now have a Necro that just sits there and smacks the RG for like 2min to get hundreds of stacks with Stricken then pop LotD and mow it down in no time.

I don't know how to tell how many stacks of stricken that I have when I am using it. I must be missing something somewhere. Does it appear on my buff bar and I am just not looking at it.
I use the BoP instead. It gives 20% increased damage even to GR Guardians as it is ALWAYS up, and it gives 15% damage reduction against elites and atop of the 20% it additionally has 15 % damage against elites. I have tried both leveled to 105 and I do quicker kills and clears with the BoP.
04/15/2018 07:40 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
I don't know how to tell how many stacks of stricken that I have when I am using it. I must be missing something somewhere. Does it appear on my buff bar and I am just not looking at it.

Its about a 100/minute roughly and it has no indication of how many stacks you have.
04/15/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Nigel
04/15/2018 07:40 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

Its about a 100/minute roughly and it has no indication of how many stacks you have.

Then that means that he necro would be attacking for more than 2 minutes before using Land of the Dead, am I correct on that line of thinking?
04/15/2018 11:25 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
04/15/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Nigel

Then that means that he necro would be attacking for more than 2 minutes before using Land of the Dead, am I correct on that line of thinking?

No, multi shoot rg is more effective than 1 shot. Sometimes accident can happen such as rg breaks free of lotd etc leading to under power shots. If you have 3 min spare, you can try 1 shot him with enough time left 2nd shot. 120-124 is comfortable efficient 1 shot range with minimum stricken stacks.

Saxtris @ 75 and binder @ 85 or below summon adds. It's important to control your dps and stop around 76/86 mark.

126 some rgk can still 1 shot rg w/o power pylon. The higher it goes, the more need to multi shot.
04/13/2018 07:18 AMPosted by enchant
I'm just looking for clarification on what this gem does.

Lvl 90 gem:
"Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 1.7%"
So if I hit something ten times, that tenth hit will deliver an additional 17%. This seems like a minuscule amount. Is there something I'm missing here?

After lvl 25:
"Gain 25% increased damage against bosses and Rift Guardians."
That's not bad, but bosses means the likes of Belial, Skeleton King, right? That doesn't include elites?

I believe its sole purpose is killing high high level rift gaurdians... 100+