DB drops (if you don't do the killin')

General Discussion
I'm in desperate need of DBs, but as a DH, the Sages set is of no used to me. So I thought I'd be tricky. I have two accounts. On the account that needs the DBs, I equipped the sages set, then sent them both into a nrift. The character with the sages set stood around while the other character went around and did all the fighting. It was a Southern Highlands map, so I was able to do the entire rift on that level. And with nemesis bracers, I was getting lots of elites and tons of DB drops. After the guardian dropped, I cleared the entire level.

Then I sent my secondary character around to pick up the loot. It was looking fine for a while, but after I got about halfway up the map, the DBs stopped appearing. I was seeing leg and yellow drops where the elites were killed, but no DBs. Is there a range limit to where they'll drop for another player?

The missing DBs notwithstanding, I felt the effort was a fools errand in that it took so long to go over the map a second time, I'm probably better off just clearing the map without the sages set.
04/07/2018 02:07 AMPosted by enchant
I'm probably better off just clearing the map without the sages set.

From a time perspective, yeah you're better off gearing up a toon properly and just playing it to get DBs.
04/07/2018 02:07 AMPosted by enchant
but after I got about halfway up the map, the DBs stopped appearing. I was seeing leg and yellow drops where the elites were killed, but no DBs. Is there a range limit to where they'll drop for another player?

No range limit (afaik) but mats / drops will eventually disappear due to a time-limit. I am not sure how the priorities are, regarding which goes first, but go they will.
04/07/2018 02:22 AMPosted by KingD
No range limit (afaik) but mats / drops will eventually disappear due to a time-limit.

Are you saying that they *were* on the ground but they sort of evaporated? If I'd headed out with my secondary character sooner, they might have still been there? Because the leg drops remained.
04/07/2018 02:41 AMPosted by enchant
04/07/2018 02:22 AMPosted by KingD
No range limit (afaik) but mats / drops will eventually disappear due to a time-limit.

Are you saying that they *were* on the ground but they sort of evaporated? If I'd headed out with my secondary character sooner, they might have still been there? Because the leg drops remained.

Yes. Drops left for too long on the ground, will disappear when enough time have passed.
Well, like I said, I doubt I'll be doing that again, but that's good info to know. Thanks.

I really wish they'd add another piece to the Sages set like a ring to make it usable by more classes.
I've got a build that uses 5 piece Natalya's and 2 piece Sage's that is effective for farming Death's Breaths.
https://www.diablofans.com/builds/98591-natalya-sage-deaths-breath-farmer

Without augments, it was doing T10 pretty quickly. I've got one item augmented at level 80 and it's able to do T12 pretty quickly. A couple of more augmented items and it should be able to handle T13 quickly. It can handle T13 now, but some elites take 10-15 seconds to kill.
Personally I have experienced a similar situation with DB farming on two accounts, but in my case the DBs from the early kills were still on the ground while the DBs from the later killed elites were missing. It seems that DBs stop dropping if the second character is flagged AFK.
You might try your farming runs again, but occasionally move the 2nd character at the floor entrance a bit.

You could also try a melee WoL Monk (5p Sunwuko + 2p Sage + RoRG) for DB farming. Even the melee variant without the spirit stone and at low Paragon melts whole screens and elites on T13.
04/07/2018 03:35 AMPosted by jacuff
A couple of more augmented items and it should be able to handle T13 quickly. It can handle T13 now, but some elites take 10-15 seconds to kill.

IMO impale DH will farm the DB's faster on T13, nearly oneshotting the elites and moving with max speed (no cost vault after impale from belt), but it will lacks the sage's DB bonus drop.
04/07/2018 06:40 AMPosted by Azaphrael
IMO impale DH will farm the DB's faster on T13, nearly oneshotting the elites and moving with max speed (no cost vault after impale from belt), but it will lacks the sage's DB bonus drop.

Actually, unless you change gear / cubed items / runes, at T13 an Impale DH will rapidly run out of hatred because most mobs get 1-shotted, meaning you don't regenerate hatred from your Karlei's affix which relies on hitting mobs at least twice.
I don't understand why setting the difficulty to accommodate the loss of dps/synergies due to wearing Sage's isn't the solution.
04/07/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Nemarra
I don't understand why setting the difficulty to accommodate the loss of dps/synergies due to wearing Sage's isn't the solution.

You could do that. But lowering the difficulty, will result in less DB's overall, unless you save so much time, you can run significantly more Torment runs to compensate for the lower chance of DB's dropping.

DB drop-chance from elites, Goblins and RG at level 61+:

Normal: 15%
Hard: 18%
Expert: 21%
Master: 25%
Torment 1: 31%
Torment 2: 37%
Torment 3: 44%
Torment 4: 53%
Torment 5: 64%
Torment 6: 77%
Torment 7: 90%
Torment 8: 100% + 5% chance +1
Torment 9: 100% + 15% chance +1
Torment 10: 100% + 25% chance +1
Torment 11: 100% + 35% chance +1
Torment 12: 100% + 45% chance +1
Torment 13: 100% + 55% chance +1

At minimum, you should be running Torment 9+ if farming for DB's with sage's, and Torment 12+ without, as I see it. But that's just what I prefer :)
What I've done when self leveling an alt account is to clear a floor with the main then run around with the weaker toon picking things up. Once clear move to next floor and repeat. If you clear the whole rift first things will be lost. Given it was a single floor and stuff was gone may not have moved quickly. Something like Krelms belt can help.

It is really only useful for giving a jump start to a newer toon not as a long term farming strategy.
04/07/2018 08:30 AMPosted by KingD
At minimum, you should be running Torment 9+ if farming for DB's with sage's, and Torment 12+ without, as I see it. But that's just what I prefer :)

Your values seem a little bit out of date. From my experience the overview from Bagstone (Mod at diablofans.com) seems much more accurate: http://d3resource.com/difficulties/index.php?2

If you not just take the DBs, but also the the GR keys into consideration, there are basically just two breakpoints for faming. T8 for atleast one DB per elite pack or T11 to ensure that you will also always get 2 GR keys.

That said, it's always better to speedfarm the highest possible content for additional gold and XP, especially early on in the Season.

It would be quite nice to see a belt for the Sage's set to many more builds to farm DBs quicker.
Sage's set DB bonus added to Nemesis bracers would be the ideal situation.

You could do that. But lowering the difficulty, will result in less DB's overall, unless you save so much time, you can run significantly more Torment runs to compensate for the lower chance of DB's dropping.

I believe those are old numbers. The current patch is more like:
Torment 6: 75%
Torment 8: 115%
Torment 9: 125%
Torment 10: 150%
Torment 11: 190%
Torment 12: 212%
Torment 13: 225%

So running a Sage build at T11 will get you 3DBs from most elites (10% will only drop 2).
At T12 with a Sage build, you'll always get at least 3 DBs with a 12% chance to get 4.
At T13 with a Sage build, you'll always get at least 3 DBs with a 25% chance to get 4.

So if the kill rate is about the same at T11 with a Sage build as it is at T13 with an impale or multishot Non-Sage build, you'll get more DBs at T11 in an hour than you would running a standard build at T13. Of course it's subjective to the map and density.

To match the chances, T9 with a Sage build has an equivalent DB drop rate as T13 does Non-Sage at 225%. Anything over T9 that you can handle will typically yield more DBs/hour if you're using a Sage build.
04/07/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Sarajiel

Your values seem a little bit out of date. From my experience the overview from Bagstone (Mod at diablofans.com) seems much more accurate: http://d3resource.com/difficulties/index.php?2

If you not just take the DBs, but also the the GR keys into consideration, there are basically just two breakpoints for faming. T8 for atleast one DB per elite pack or T11 to ensure that you will also always get 2 GR keys.

That said, it's always better to speedfarm the highest possible content for additional gold and XP, especially early on in the Season.

It would be quite nice to see a belt for the Sage's set to many more builds to farm DBs quicker.

04/07/2018 10:34 AMPosted by jacuff

I believe those are old numbers. The current patch is more like:
Torment 6: 75%
Torment 8: 115%
Torment 9: 125%
Torment 10: 150%
Torment 11: 190%
Torment 12: 212%
Torment 13: 225%

So running a Sage build at T11 will get you 3DBs from most elites (10% will only drop 2).
At T12 with a Sage build, you'll always get at least 3 DBs with a 12% chance to get 4.
At T13 with a Sage build, you'll always get at least 3 DBs with a 25% chance to get 4.

So if the kill rate is about the same at T11 with a Sage build as it is at T13 with an impale or multishot Non-Sage build, you'll get more DBs at T11 in an hour than you would running a standard build at T13. Of course it's subjective to the map and density.

To match the chances, T9 with a Sage build has an equivalent DB drop rate as T13 does Non-Sage at 225%. Anything over T9 that you can handle will typically yield more DBs/hour if you're using a Sage build.

Ahhh ok. Thanks for the correction :)
if you are very desperate just join a public t13 and run behind people, only spending time looting
Just farm keystones at t13 and collect ~25ish DB per run.

I can collect a couple hundred right quick but I find that just playing parts of the game here and there and letting the DBs accumulate is better than farming a bunch and running to town to burn them up.

Once I have a lot of mats I work on a piece of gear until it's done then move on to another. Don't waste many rolls on non-ancient gear and accept the range of the stat you are targetting. Do not roll another 200 times just to get 47%CHD to 50%CHD on a non-ancient. It is a waste.
What Ganelon said (+1). Also, if you can work a couple pieces of the Sage gear into your build (plus a RoRG) as recommended above and still farm efficiently at T13, you can up the DB to 30-35 per rift.