New Player, which build can you recommend me?

General Discussion
Hi there,

Long time Diablo fan (D1 and D2), and played POE for the last few years.

Always wanted to try D3 but POE has kept me occupied. I saw the game discount on at the moment and decided now is the right time to purchase D3 and give it a go.

As a new player to D3, what build(s) can you recommend? Is it possible to reach end game content with a starter build? Or is it like POE where I should create a simple farming build first and then do a better build?

Thanks for the help :)
Welcome! And beware of the trolls.
This game has been out for years and some have gone feral.

There is no end-game content as such. You will get slowly more powerful as your paragon levels increase over time. End-game is running high-level greater rifts, which are randomly generated. It will be up to you whether you choose to solo or group.

That said, you may as well start a seasonal character to get your first set. Of the available sets,
Barbarian – Might of the Earth
Crusader – Thorns of the Invoker
Demon Hunter – The Shadow’s Mantle
Monk – Monkey King’s Garb
Necromancer – Grace of Inarius
Witch Doctor – Raiment of the Jade Harvester
Wizard – Firebird’s Finery

I'd personally choose the Necromancer as a farming build, but it's a matter of taste. Go to any class forum, and you will see a list of builds.
03/29/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Brunowa

As a new player to D3, what build(s) can you recommend?

Depends on which hero. If you want something fun and easy, go necro (if you have the DLC) or witch doctor.

Is it possible to reach end game content with a starter build?

Not quite, eventually you'll need to cater your build to the sets/gems in order to get anywhere higher than GR60.

Or is it like POE where I should create a simple farming build first and then do a better build?

I would say 'sort of' as I've never played POE, you can kinda get away with anything leveling to 70 really. The real challenge doesn't start until you're max level.
Every class can reach end game with all of their sets, of course some sets will do better than others. The 'free' set to be gained by playing season allows you to jump start the process. Currently the Sunwuko set for Monk is the free set that is the top of the leader board for a class.

There is still ~7 weeks or so left in this season. I strongly suggest spending the 30 hours or so going through the story mode first just to experience it then jump into seasonal play. Good luck and have fun!
You can change your build any time, there are no customization here. For build recommendations search rykker video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw46eYcraTY
Thanks guys. I've started a Barbarian in normal mode (I didn't know I could select season.. unless it was on by default). I had a quick look and I think I'll try Whirlwind as it seems relatively fast and easy?
Use whatever you find for your Barb. It'll get you to lvl 70.

I wouldn't recommend climbing with WW Barb. It's more of a mock speed build, with quite a few pieces required. It's actually quite brittle unless you finish it, too.

I'd recommend building another character when you hit a stump with your barb or get bored of climbing with it.

It helps if you farm for Hellfire Ring and Hellfire Amulet, which is really expensive early on. You'd just need to level 2 Gem of Ease to lvl 25 - 1 to socket into a decent weapon and 1 to transmute into a decent item to augment it to item level requirement to 1.

Barb has one of the best climbs from lvl 1-70 starting from scratch.

If you manage to gather Might of the Earth + the rest of the Leap/Quake build, that will keep you busy and practically counts as an additional class. It's also the seasonal reward currently. It's not the greatest for end-game, but it'll ease you through Torment X.

If you just left PoE, you'll hate D3 for the same reasons. Good luck.
You should make a seasonal Barb to get the free set, after you finish the campaign. I hate to see people stuck in torment 3 for ages, when the season journey on the right class could get them Into torment 10 right out the gate.
Or is it like POE where I should create a simple farming build first and then do a better build?

A better way of putting this is that there's two leveling systems in the game:

- level your character from 1-70... you unlock skills whilst doing this. Gear you find is flexible.
- paragons: you'll be at lvl70. Your aim is generally to complete a class set and get complimentary legendaries to use with the set. You'll likely be changing your skills from what it was during 1-70 to skills that leverage off the class set more.

Because you get pieces of a class set as you complete Chapters 2, 3 and 4 of the season journey... this can speed things up drastically once you hit level 70 which is why players above keep telling you to start a seasonal character. You can still play through the campaign in seasons but you get the benefit of fast tracking your first set in seasons.
ok damn, I've played 2 hours but I just checked and my character isn't "Seasonal".

I think I'll reroll so I can get the free set.

A couple of questions on rolling a seasonal character:

1) Can I choose which free set I get per class? Or is there a list of sets somewhere that are currently being offered that I can choose from? If Barb only has the Leapquake set I might choose a different class because I checked videos of it and I didn't really like the gameplay (but there is another one with charge which looks kinda cool, is this available with a set?)

2) What happens at the end of the season? Does my character go to Standard and I have access to all my gear, stash tabs etc? Or is it wiped?

Thanks guys for the help :)
03/30/2018 02:51 AMPosted by Brunowa
What happens at the end of the season?

Whilst this article refers to the end of Season 12, it describes what happens when a season ends...
https://eu.diablo3.com/en/blog/21492188/season-12-ending-soon-26-01-2018

If you want to see how your seasonal and non-seasonal XP will be amalgamated at the end of the season, and the resultant Paragon Level you'll be left with...
https://www.d3bg.org/paragon-calculator/en.php
03/30/2018 02:51 AMPosted by Brunowa
A couple of questions on rolling a seasonal character:

1) Can I choose which free set I get per class? Or is there a list of sets somewhere that are currently being offered that I can choose from? If Barb only has the Leapquake set I might choose a different class because I checked videos of it and I didn't really like the gameplay (but there is another one with charge which looks kinda cool, is this available with a set?)

2) What happens at the end of the season? Does my character go to Standard and I have access to all my gear, stash tabs etc? Or is it wiped?

1) No. It's a specific set and rotated every season. If you check out the seasonal details for season 12 (can be found on forums and through BNet), there is a list of which sets are granted to each class this season.

2) Everything transfers over to non-season. You lose nothing playing seasonal except the time spent getting a character to 70.
Thanks. I've re-rolled as a Monk in the season and will take it from there. Going through the campaign. How many hours of gameplay does the campaign generally take going at average pace?
03/30/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Brunowa
I've re-rolled as a Monk in the season

You really want to do Adventure mode with your season character, it is unlocked automatically.
Adventure mode provides all the rifts, greater rifts and bounties where you progress thru the journey to get the free set and drops are more frequent and above Torment 1 you get more set item drops as well.
03/30/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Blackarrows
I've re-rolled as a Monk in the season

You really want to do Adventure mode with your season character, it is unlocked automatically.
Adventure mode provides all the rifts, greater rifts and bounties where you progress thru the journey to get the free set and drops are more frequent and above Torment 1 you get more set item drops as well.

Adventure mode does not unlock until you complete the entire campaign at least once -- be that on a seasonal or non-seasonal character. Since this is a new player, he or she may not have completed campaign and will not be able to play adventure mode until then.

Thanks. I've re-rolled as a Monk in the season and will take it from there. Going through the campaign. How many hours of gameplay does the campaign generally take going at average pace?
If you're not shy about using mobility and know mostly what to do, 5 hours is definitely reasonable (each chapter has an achievement for doing them in an hour). Speed runners in a group have been known to do the entire campaign in just under an hour (it's a seasonal conquest), but that requires specific builds and a thorough understanding of zones, quests, etc.
6-8 hours while taking the wrong turns in campaign. Closer to 10 hours if you're actually going to care about dialogue.

You use up your Seasonal Rewards. You only get each per season. If you get all the Sunwuko rewards for your Monk, that's it for this season. You can spend more time lvling other classes to grab the different rewards to spread them out like that, but it's extremely not worth it.