Things you would like to see in Diablo 4

Games & Technology
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
They arent making d4. Give up
I say that the next Diabo game should have improvements on the best features from both D2:LOD and D3. Improving on the best of both games would have the highest chances of making a game that both Blizz North and Blizz Irvine fans would be able to enjoy.
04/24/2018 11:14 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I say that the next Diabo game should have improvements on the best features from both D2:LOD and D3. Improving on the best of both games would have the highest chances of making a game that both Blizz North and Blizz Irvine fans would be able to enjoy.
What best features of D3? GRs? Set items?
D1: Mood, Setting, Grittiness, Hopelessness, Gothic Medieval Horror

D2: Itemization, Character Development, Map Randomization, Leveling Progression, Music/Sound, Difficulty, Permanency, Individualism

D3: Character Responsiveness
04/24/2018 11:51 AMPosted by UngivenFame
What best features of D3? GRs? Set items?

It doesn't matter how little they take from D3 to improve on it to add to the improvements to D2's features. What I am saying it is a combination of games in a way that has enough features designed in a way that appeals to both the Blizz North fans as well as the Blizz Irvine fans that will mean that D4 will be a winner that will hit a home run that is out of the park.
04/19/2018 02:47 PMPosted by TakeNotes
Name one thing you would include in Diablo 4 either from D1/D2/D3 or a new idea

True build diversity, instead of the current "here's a few builds we made for you" concepts current sets have. Gears should be like those generic lego sets with no instructions, being able to mix and match to build interesting characters. Current sets work like those licensed lego sets, where they give you specific instructions to follow if you want it to work exactly as they intended. Sure, you can tweak things a little bit, but it won't work exactly as they wanted it to work without perfectly following all the instructions. Diablo 2 Vanilla had this in hand pretty good, I had 8 sorceresses and all played entirely different with completely different gear that was picked based on how it interacted with their skills. I do not have nearly so many Wizards in D3 for obvious reasons.

Just give me a bucket of parts and let me do my own thing without feeling like I'm severely gimped and just setting myself up for failure. Creativity with builds is the spice of ARPG and should be embraced.
Name one thing you would include in Diablo 4
I would include a rider in the contract to hire no developer that has worked on an MMO.

That one thing (MMO dev team) is what made D3 so bad as an ARPG.
04/24/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Kukiri
Name one thing you would include in Diablo 4
I would include a rider in the contract to hire no developer that has worked on an MMO.

That one thing (MMO dev team) is what made D3 so bad as an ARPG.

What if that dev is David Brevik that worked on Marvel Heroes Online which was an MMO? I don't think that you would mind him designing D4. Also, don't expect D4 to have an offline mode with the way games are going these days. Further since D3 would've been an MMO had David Brevik's team designed D3. That means that D4 could very well be an MMO set in the Diablo universe. MMOs don't have a set in stone itemization that I am aware of. If the team designing D4 has good arpg experience coupled with a love for Diablo. Then add in knowing what would make D4 a winner for both Blizz North fans and Blizz Irvine fans we will have nothing to worry about.
bring back damage immunity
04/25/2018 08:25 AMPosted by XelNagaIvan
bring back damage immunity

Damage immunity is just a cheesy mechanic. There are other mechanics that I could put into games that would be a real challenge. Ones that would have different monsters within the same group with different abilities. You would have to approach some groups quite differently than just stacking more damage and survivability.
why are you even calling it D4? xD
max level is only 70 atm : >

people got eyes but do not see ^.^
Skill tree system.
04/19/2018 08:29 PMPosted by UngivenFame
I hope that doesn't happen. I'm all for having a game where you can reasonably progress through the story part while having side stuff that more experienced players will take advantage of. It varies the pace for that kind of player and allows newbies to experience the whole experience. Inferno was supposed to be a constant challenge, one that wasn't made trivial by leveling and gearing. Thats a good design.

In a game about growing a powerful character (and in thsi case, growing A WHOLE LOT), difficulties to accommodate every level I think is the worst thing that can happen. It makes progression feel irrelevant. When you can fine tune the difficulty, you never overcome a challenge, for the whole duration of getting to "end-game". I think it also leads encourages a more strict adherence to "primary stat progression." That problem has existed since D3 had four difficulties but its only gotten worse once they decided they were going with the 10 or more difficulty levels in the expansion.

I like having multiple, adjustable difficulty levels, because it gives me complete control over how hard the game is at any time. If I want the game to be brutally difficult for a while, I can just turn up the difficulty. If I want to make it steamroll easy for a while, I can just turn down the difficulty. There is no need for me to switch to an entirely different game to have gameplay be easy or hard. I don't know of any other ARPG that allows the degree of difficulty fine-tuning that D3:RoS does (17 levels in the open world, 100+ levels in GRs). I only play solo, so trying to find others to group with at my chosen difficulty level is never an issue.

What Blizzard will probably do is attempt to make D4 a hybrid game that appeals to both groups of Diablo fans (old school and current fans), but it will end up not appealing to either group due to all of the design compromises required for such a hybrid. Blizzard just needs to decide which of the two groups of fans it would rather please with D4 and make an internally consistent game along those lines rather than some hybrid.

If D4 is going to be like current D3, Blizzard needs to release and support D2 Remastered to satisfy the old school fans. If D4 is going to be like D2:LoD, Blizzard needs to continue to support D3 for those who prefer its mechanics.
04/25/2018 04:28 PMPosted by Cobaltus
I don't know of any other ARPG that allows the degree of difficulty fine-tuning that D3:RoS does (17 levels in the open world, 100+ levels in GRs).
I don't either. Because its totally unnecessary.

It starves you of accomplishment. No way to foster an ebb and flow to the combat. Got an upgrade, leave game, reset difficulty to new level. Always experiencing baseline.

Nothing good from that.

Don't need 17 difficulties to incorporate a breeze mode and brutal mode at end game.
Honestly?

Diablo 2 feels like a completely unique game to Diablo 1.
Diablo 3 plays like a completely unique game from both Diablo 1 and 2.

Diablo 4 should continue to take risks and feel nothing like Diablo 1, 2 or 3. I love how this franchise is the furthest thing from a 'safe' sequel franchise like Call of Duty or Madden. Just keep offering new experiences that have the feeling of Diablo and I'll be happy.
04/25/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Cobaltus
If D4 is going to be like current D3, Blizzard needs to release and support D2 Remastered to satisfy the old school fans. If D4 is going to be like D2:LoD, Blizzard needs to continue to support D3 for those who prefer its mechanics.

If any D4 game ever sees the light of the day, it will be a PvP spin-off game that fits in Blizzard's esport portfolio. There is no reason to create another take on the 90's style ARPG. They have enough money and resources to improve their existing game, if they actually wanted to compete with PoE and similar D2 clones/iterations.
Blizzard also portraits themselves as premium brand for competitive online gaming, therefore any new game will have at least some serious PvP content and not just some broken brawling.
The only question about D4 will be what genre it will end up in. With all the battle royale hype there is a quite good chance to see Blizzard's attempt in this genre especially if their focus will be on the loot hunt aspect. I doubt they want to be left out like with the DotA/MOBA boom.

Both D2 and D3 servers will be kept online till there aren't any computers left that can run the game client. The costs of those servers are peanuts compared to the positive marketing effect it has for current and future Blizzard games.
Personally I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about remastering D2 in HD, but that project might be just at the bottom of the list, because both SC1 and WoW classic most likely attract more folks than D2.
There's also still the possibility of D3 going free-to-play like it already is in mainland China or similar to SC2. With all the people craving stash tabs, new wings or bonus XP (similar to HotS stimpacks) there is possibly still quite some money that can be made from D3 players.
04/25/2018 04:59 PMPosted by UngivenFame
I don't either. Because its totally unnecessary.

It starves you of accomplishment. No way to foster an ebb and flow to the combat. Got an upgrade, leave game, reset difficulty to new level. Always experiencing baseline.

Nothing good from that.

Don't need 17 difficulties to incorporate a breeze mode and brutal mode at end game.

It might seem unnecessary or excessive to you, but I like it a whole lot. Being able to adjust the difficulty level at will and with this degree of precision is one of my favorite features of current D3. Bounties feeling a bit sluggish on Torment X? I can just bump the game down slightly by one or two Torment levels. If I was just stuck with the original three levels of difficulty, I would find that very boring or annoying, since there would be such huge gaps between them.

My new characters gearing up and "graduating" to higher settings in world difficulty and GRs gives me a sense of accomplishment even if doesn't for others. Having just three levels wouldn't cut it for me which is why I'm glad I didn't buy the game until long after RoS was released.
04/25/2018 10:02 AMPosted by KadaverjunkY
why are you even calling it D4? xD
max level is only 70 atm : >

people got eyes but do not see ^.^

Oh I don't know, because it is obviously the next in the Diablo series so until Blizz calls it something different like World of Diablo because of the next sequel in the franchise becoming an MMO. Then we will stick to Diablo 4 (D4 for short) till we hear otherwise. Nothing says that this game will ever get a true level 99 character like D2 has.

04/25/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Cobaltus
What Blizzard will probably do is attempt to make D4 a hybrid game that appeals to both groups of Diablo fans (old school and current fans), but it will end up not appealing to either group due to all of the design compromises required for such a hybrid. Blizzard just needs to decide which of the two groups of fans it would rather please with D4 and make an internally consistent game along those lines rather than some hybrid.

I don't think that there has to be as many compromises as you are thinking. I am sure that even some Blizz Irvine fans could get behind Blizz adding in some character progression (no not paragon). Think skill trees that would be like having a skill tree within a skill tree. Then you could have attribute points to assign as well.

One way they could do it is to do it similar to a new game that is in pre-alpha called Last Epoch. That has both a class system where like D3 you get skills unlocked as you level. But you can specialize in only five skills. When those skills are chosen then those skills gain levels. You can level the skill to level 20 and get 20 skill points to spend in the skill. Since you have such a low amount of points you will never be able to get everything in the skill tree. That means that even if you have two players pick the same skill specializations no two players will be the same because they will pick different things in those trees.

Then there is the passive tree system in Last Epoch that is where you can get attribute points as well as passive abilities that flesh out the build you are making. With both together it makes for a character that is different from other characters of the same type and even same skill specialization.

Then you have itemization that can be and improvement of D2's itemization. Where you would have a lot of options. In some cases you would have a powerful character with mostly rare items. That is because those rares could be either crafted or hard to find rares with some affixes that are hard to find on rares. Then magic gear could be the same way. An itemizaiton system where all tiers provide something that other tiers of gear cannot give you. Where you have alternatives to the BiS gear that will get the job done as far as clearing content goes.

Crafting can be something that is new and inspired from other arpg type of games that have done a way better job of crafting than both D3 and D2.

All of this and more depends on who they hire as developers. If it is primarily an MMO WoW experienced group that doesn't really have the passion for the Diablo series (think Jay Wilson) then D4 will be just as bad if not worse than D3 was at launch. If the group has a lot of arpg experience along with a great passion for the Diablo franchise in the area of wanting to take the franchise to the next level. Doing it by improving upon what is already there. Taking inspiration from other new games that are out there or currently in development like Last Epoch. Then Diablo 4 could be great sequel and hailed as what D3 should've been at release.