Sentry Build Marauders/Nats

Demon Hunter
I recently started playing the Sentry build in search of higher GR clears. I play MULTISHOT UE6 and can clear a GR100 and Shadow set Impale a GR101. I have heard Sentry is better. It's a work in progress but I have a few clarification questions.

Passive: Night Stalker or Steady Aim?

I was using Steady Aim for the 20% extra DPS but was having problems staying far enough away from the monsters and running out of Discipline for Cluster Arrow. It seems switching to Night Stalker is allowing me to fire for longer periods of time and trumps the extra 20% DPS even if I was able to utilize it perfectly.

Helm if I can only have one Critical Hit Chance or % to Cluster Arrow; which is the better choice? I am running CC currently and I saw a video where a guy said Cluster Arrow is the better choice if you currently can't have both.

Please don't bother checking my profile for my Sentry build it is shared with my MULTISHOT build in the armory and most of the time MS is setup.
04/11/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Visionhero
I have heard Sentry is better.

Ue-MS, S6 and N6M4 are more or less equally strong. Its more a matter of personal preferences which build you use to climb the leaderboards.

Passive: Night Stalker or Steady Aim?
Yes. ;-)
With low RCR and low Hatred regeneration, I found Night Stalker to be stronger. With better gear, I got better results with Steady Aim.

Helm with chc or CA: It almost doesn't matter. IIRC Cluster Arrow damage is a little bit stronger in most cases (it depends on the sum of chc and chd on your gear), maybe 1% or 2% stronger. Usually nothing you should worry about too much.
It seems switching to Night Stalker is allowing me to fire for longer periods of time and trumps the extra 20% DPS even if I was able to utilize it perfectly.

If it works better for you - than it is the better passive for you. Hatred = DPS.
You might lack RCR or hatred regen. Most orbs come from elites I think. So if they take really long it might be not so good as in lower content where you can spawn orbs faster.

Helm if I can only have one Critical Hit Chance or % to Cluster Arrow; which is the better choice? I am running CC currently and I saw a video where a guy said Cluster Arrow is the better choice if you currently can't have both.

There are 2-3 cluster rolls possible, I think. No matter how much you have any roll will be above 10% DPS increase.
6 CHC is with a "decent" build ~7% or so (just guestimating/experience with other quiver builds).

If you lack a lot CHC (amulet, quiver) CHC would be stronger than ~7%. Depends on overall CHC/CHD. Clusterdamage should be stronger - unless you lack a lot CHC.
Critical Hit Chance: 60.50%
Critical Hit Damage 443%

I have 10% CHC on Quiver and 9.5% on Amulet.

I have 15% Cluster Arrow rolls on the boots. Not sure where else I would roll Cluster Arrow other then Helm in place of the VIT roll.

I do have Sentry rolled to 15% in three difference places.

I left my Sentry build up for review. I know my offhand is complete waste of space; unfortunately I have not found better as of yet.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Visionhero-1338/hero/80895653
i know the primal looks nice but i have a hard time believing allres on helm is better than vit or even a nonancient cc/ca% rolled. the 8% on belt adds up to a lot of lost dr, and the amulet with int is pretty bad. ideally shoulders you'd have area% > vit also. those are the old bracers, new ones can roll 40-50% dr, again adds up.

some more augments and pushing your gems would help too but thats the grind part

If it works better for you - than it is the better passive for you. Hatred = DPS.
You might lack RCR or hatred regen. Most orbs come from elites I think. So if they take really long it might be not so good as in lower content where you can spawn orbs faster.

[/quote]

thats blood v, night stalker has nothing to do with globes

and cluster would have 3, boots helm and cubed manticore, unless someone rolled off the sentry for ca on quiver lol
Your RCR is very low. You wanna have ~40%+ (you are at ~31% or so - just guessing) and maybe one hatred regen roll too.
Roll elite damage on weapon to 10RCR. Gloves also to RCR. This should fix most problems.

As already assumed - your belt has only 8,0%. Not good. You wanna have 8,9-9,0 or so. Difference isn't that big without garwulf - but still not an item you wanna use.

Compass rose still has movement. You always wanna roll it off. Maybe only regen would be weaker - that is the only case where it would make sense, IMO.
Helmet:
Missing 1000 vit or Cluster damage there (+210 res secondary). Unwanted res roll means a missing secondary res roll.

Cluster and Sentry damage are afaik there own category. Correct me if I'm wrong. So rolling CHC to Cluster would add more DPS. But it is just not a good helmet. Allres is "bad" on a helmet.

Edit: Nightstalker vs Bloodvengeance - correct. My bad.
Thank you for all the great advise. I will keep plugging away. I like the play style of both Sentry and MULTISHOT but the problem is both of them rely so heavily on density and with Impale if you don't like what you see move on. Problem solved. :)
04/11/2018 12:02 PMPosted by callmelord
and cluster would have 3, boots helm and cubed manticore, unless someone rolled off the sentry for ca on quiver lol

04/11/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Kindergarten
Cluster and Sentry damage are afaik there own category.

With N6/M4, we have actually 3 skill damage modifiers for CA fired by the sentries.

(1) Legendary Effect of the Manticore
(2) %CA damage on helm and boots - it's a seperate multiplier, not additve with (1)
(3) %Sentry damage on Shoulders, Chest and Quiver. Unfortunately the 100% on the quiver are additive with the other two rolls. Therefore: If you need more vitality or other sources of defense: better loose Sentry damage than CA damage. CA damage is the stronger damage modifier, as we have less of it.

The total damage modifier is (1) * (2) * (3).
manticore doesnt add to other +ca but yangs and ms does? that seems strange either way, but good to know
04/11/2018 02:19 PMPosted by callmelord
manticore doesnt add to other +ca but yangs and ms does? that seems strange either way, but good to know

That is not what he said. Manticore bonus is a legendary effect - so it is a unique multiplier. Same with Yang and DML.

100% +sentry on Rucksack is not a legendary effect. It's a "blue" roll. So getting 15% sentry on top is only 2,15/2 ->7,5% (added to 100% from rucksack). Without it would be 1,15/1 -> 15%.
1=100%.
2nd Sentry roll is ~6,9% more and 3rd ~6,5% more. Still a lot - but kind of devalued because of quiver. So if you want more def/ad whatever - sentry damage could be changed into something else as it adds not the "full" 15% like Cluster damage or normal skill damage on most other builds does.

Cluster damage has nothing else in that category. So the first roll is 15% more and the second 13,x% more DPS.
ok, i knew what he said i was just under the impression that yangs was simply another +ms roll so i guess i was confused there
04/11/2018 02:19 PMPosted by callmelord
manticore doesnt add to other +ca but yangs and ms does?

Actually, Yang and MS are two seperate multipliers. With a 200% Yang and a 200% DML you actually deal 800% more damage, not 400% more.

Calculation: 200% more damage is a multiplier of 3. 3x3 is 9, so you deal 9-times the damage, or 800% more. - Yes, Blizzard like big numbers. ;-)
I have made most the changes kindergarten and callmelord believed I should make. I tried a GR100 again and succeeded this time with 1 minute and 6 seconds to spare with 1 death.

(1) I haven't changed my bracers to a different pair with more damage reduction yet. As soon as i get a new gem to rank 100 I will and start using a different pair.

(2) Rolling off AD on my gloves. Which I need more convincing on.

- Gloves; they told me to roll the Area Damage off the gloves for Reduce all Resource Cost. I am now currently at 39.16%. Do you think that extra roll is going to help me fire enough to great more damage that the AD is doing? I mean meaningful difference?

Again thanks for all the advise. Now I have 3 DH builds that have hit or topped the GR100.