Banwave?

General Discussion
Looks like some people vanished from the leaderboards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQCYpIHLNQ
I like this better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12kKLvJd9Q
I increase the stakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmIB931lQ8
Tried to log in, got this error:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
DAMMIT! IT'S 2018 PEOPLE!! TWENTY EIGHTEEN! THAT MEME IS DED!! GOSH DARN!
What is dead may never die!
05/02/2018 07:26 PMPosted by naksiloth
DAMMIT! IT'S 2018 PEOPLE!! TWENTY EIGHTEEN! THAT MEME IS DED!! GOSH DARN!

If it works, it's not dead.
Hand picked some dudes, just like last time.
Yeah got rick rolled ...and kinda liked it
Yes. Many people have been banned and 3rd party illegal programs are not working right now.
I hate you people. Get on with the times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvlP8lIZ9c

edit: I got 7 people bad. score!
Good Job.
Good Job.
05/02/2018 08:12 PMPosted by TuNo
Yes. Many people have been banned and 3rd party illegal programs are not working right now.

Ya, bots are down. The last minipatch was not just typical, there is new obfuscation implanted in the area where it wasn’t before, additional work required for 3rd party to make it work. From the looks of it this obfuscation impacts map overlays more than botting though since it is multiplayer based.

05/02/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Evenstar
Hand picked some dudes, just like last time.

More to come, I think there will be couple more waves soon, little too early for “season ending” wave.
I wish they would annouce the ban wave after the accounts have been banned. Doing it from time to time to remind us that they don't tolerate cheating might help keep the bot population down. They shouldn't be afraid of giving way trade secrets on how they catch botters. All they have to do is to post a locked announcement that x amount to accounts have been banned for cheating. Then talk a little about cheating is against the rules along with reminding us to play fair and by the rules.
05/03/2018 08:41 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I wish they would annouce the ban wave after the accounts have been banned. Doing it from time to time to remind us that they don't tolerate cheating might help keep the bot population down. They shouldn't be afraid of giving way trade secrets on how they catch botters. All they have to do is to post a locked announcement that x amount to accounts have been banned for cheating. Then talk a little about cheating is against the rules along with reminding us to play fair and by the rules.

I agree with this technically, but we all know how this will end. 5 minutes after such a locked thread creation, forum will get flooded with “Blizzard, what about this guy, that guy, and the other 2, they are clearly cheating”.

On one hand, communication like this is really good, reassuring that they do care. We even had a chronicle on botting and banning once, with “we have banned thousands of accounts recently”. On the other, it will eventually lead to flood of posts with linking the profiles that someone believes is cheating. And among some rightfully suspected people there will be players that simply play 10 or more hours a day, with 3000+ Legit paragon in one season, that will be accused of it. We all know how Forum behaves, every blue post is creating a massive “distraction”, players usually turning a thread where it occurred into a field of arguments and accusation. It’s not about how rarely they post even, it’s about how forums respond to it.
05/03/2018 09:00 AMPosted by S4v4G3
05/03/2018 08:41 AMPosted by ShadowAegis

I agree with this technically, but we all know how this will end. 5 minutes after such a locked thread creation, forum will get flooded with “Blizzard, what about this guy, that guy, and the other 2, they are clearly cheating”.

On one hand, communication like this is really good, reassuring that they do care. We even had a chronicle on botting and banning once, with “we have banned thousands of accounts recently”. On the other, it will eventually lead to flood of posts with linking the profiles that someone believes is cheating. And among some rightfully suspected people there will be players that simply play 10 or more hours a day, with 3000+ Legit paragon in one season, that will be accused of it. We all know how Forum behaves, every blue post is creating a massive “distraction”, players usually turning a thread where it occurred into a field of arguments and accusation. It’s not about how rarely they post even, it’s about how forums respond to it.

There's no need to announce a ban wave. Bans happens to people breaking the TOS, so people not breaking the TOS won't be affected in any ways. However, announcing the ban waves would cause several other issues as the forums would be flooded with people trying to find grounds to appeal bans and asking for proof and what not. Bans should be discrete. People who gets banned will know exactly why they got it. If there is an error then they can appeal it and it will be resolved on Blizzards end and the end user. I believe that's a better way of handling bans.
05/03/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Melisandre
05/03/2018 09:00 AMPosted by S4v4G3

There's no need to announce a ban wave. Bans happens to people breaking the TOS, so people not breaking the TOS won't be affected in any ways. However, announcing the ban waves would cause several other issues as the forums would be flooded with people trying to find grounds to appeal bans and asking for proof and what not. Bans should be discrete. People who gets banned will know exactly why they got it. If there is an error then they can appeal it and it will be resolved on Blizzards end and the end user. I believe that's a better way of handling bans.

How would you go about reminding the players that you don't tolerate cheating?
Blizzard might not be confident that they caught all the cheaters, so if they announced their banning then it would send a clear signal to those cheaters who remain that they've done something correct. Perhaps leaving everyone in the dark is a tactical strategy.