[Guide] Raekor-HOTA--GR 134+ (Season 17)

Barbarian
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 Next
So I finally tried this build, and the damage during CoE is just laughable, lol.

Definitely going to take practice though, which is kind of cool.
I kind of fell into this build. My group needed a pull barb and I got stuck doing it. Then the game just kept giving me good drops for this spec so I decided to give it a try. I've only done a couple rifts with it but I want to throw my computer off a 100 story building it makes me so angry. I am ALWAYS dead. My gear should easily push 110 but I can't even do a 100 I'm dead so much. I logged out in my HOTA gear, could somebody offer a tip or two on why Barb the Barbarian is always effing dead?

Thanks

EDIT: going to try to throw a couple hundred paragons into vit and swap str for AR gems to see if that helps.
03/14/2019 09:19 AMPosted by SilentMike69
I kind of fell into this build. My group needed a pull barb and I got stuck doing it. Then the game just kept giving me good drops for this spec so I decided to give it a try. I've only done a couple rifts with it but I want to throw my computer off a 100 story building it makes me so angry. I am ALWAYS dead. My gear should easily push 110 but I can't even do a 100 I'm dead so much. I logged out in my HOTA gear, could somebody offer a tip or two on why Barb the Barbarian is always effing dead?

Thanks

The deaths stem from three problems.

1. You don't have the required CDR to play this build properly. As a result, you can't keep up IP as often as desired. See the OP for more info.

2. You don't have the required Life per Hit rolls. Again, see the OP.

3. You should be using diamonds in gear and boosting Vitality via Paragon. You also don't have any Augments and thus your Armor via Strength is pretty low.

A very skilled player could take your current gear and Paragon and crack 110, but you likely lack the experienced to play this properly. That's not a knock on you -- this build takes practice. It's not an easy build. In fact, I would argue that this is the toughest Barb build to properly play. You're better off adjusting your gear as per my advice, lowering the difficulty, and learning to play it properly. Watch the videos in the OP and try to emulate their tactics; in particular, check out the videos where I do an analysis to get a moment-to-moment breakdown of how the build should be played.

Not sure if you meant to imply you're playing this in groups, but this is a solo build. It's not meant to be played in groups.
03/14/2019 09:28 AMPosted by Free

Thanks

The deaths stem from three problems.

1. You don't have the required CDR to play this build properly. As a result, you can't keep up IP as often as desired. See the OP for more info.

2. You don't have the required Life per Hit rolls. Again, see the OP.

3. You should be using diamonds in gear and boosting Vitality via Paragon. You also don't have any Augments and thus your Armor via Strength is pretty low.

A very skilled player could take your current gear and Paragon and crack 110, but you likely lack the experienced to play this properly. That's not a knock on you -- this build takes practice. It's not an easy build. In fact, I would argue that this is the toughest Barb build to properly play. You're better off adjusting your gear as per my advice, lowering the difficulty, and learning to play it properly. Watch the videos in the OP and try to emulate their tactics; in particular, check out the videos where I do an analysis to get a moment-to-moment breakdown of how the build should be played.

Not sure if you meant to imply you're playing this in groups, but this is a solo build. It's not meant to be played in groups.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Playing solo, I'll try as you suggested and report back. Would you suggest rolling off the AD in my shoulders and OH to CDR? That would take me down to about 100 AD and bring up my CDR to the low to mid 40s.

Thanks

EDIT: going to try to throw a couple hundred paragons into vit and swap str for AR gems to see if that helps.

I have the same problem with this build and I also don't have really good ping times so I have stopped playing it. If you watch the pros play, pay special attention to when they use IP and their potion. When you are charging around trying to gather density don't hit IP because its a waste your EW set will provide the extra damage resistance you need. When you start wall charging don't hit IP right away wait for stacks to come off of your EW set.

Double check one of the posted videos but its around the cycle before the fire cycle that you want to hit IP.
03/14/2019 09:36 AMPosted by SilentMike69
Would you suggest rolling off the AD in my shoulders and OH to CDR? That would take me down to about 100 AD and bring up my CDR to the low to mid 40s.

Yes. Those are Band-Aids until you farm gear with the correct stats; this build needs lots of CDR and AD, and that makes it very demanding in terms of gear and rolls. You'll need to put serious time into farming or crafting better gear.

Play style is just as important. This is a build that relies on instinct and feel just as much as precise timing. There are moments you can feel that incoming damage is about to get nuts, and that's your cue to stop wall-charging and start zipping around to get Endless Walk's set bonus. There are also times you need to get out of density for a bit, or skip a massive pile of trash + elites because some bad affixes are in there. Frozen, Nightmarish, and other CC-based affixes are bad news. On their own, they're frustrating. Spread out across multiple packs and they can ruin a rift.
05/05/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Free
Belt (Pride of Cassius)
Strength
Vitality
All Res
15% Life
+6 seconds to Ignore Pain
Secondaries: Health Globe Bonus, or Life After Kill
Are you serious??!
Since "Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit Chance for every 5 Fury that you have" "+12 Max Fury" means "+2,5% CHC" - so the 1st thing to do is to max Fury wherever possible!
And the 2nd thing is to understand the game mechanics a little bit more before posting such guides plz...
03/18/2019 10:35 PMPosted by Manowar
Are you serious??!
Since "Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit Chance for every 5 Fury that you have" "+12 Max Fury" means "+2,5% CHC" - so the 1st thing to do is to max Fury wherever possible!
And the 2nd thing is to understand the game mechanics a little bit more before posting such guides plz...

I might ask you the same. Is that the way to respond to a typo?

Clean up your act, dude. That kind of stuff doesn't fly here. Get some manners or get lost.
Nice Timing to thanks you for your time and efforts Free. Please continue the good work. Nice guide, nice answers . ( sorry for my english)
From the op :

"If you pick Enchantress, don't use any of her first two skills--both are detrimental to pushing."

How could I unskill the level 15 skill ? It seems that it's either one or the other.

Thank you for this awesome thread !
03/31/2019 02:07 AMPosted by Enoya
How could I unskill the level 15 skill ? It seems that it's either one or the other.

You can't.. Have to make a new character and not ever select those first 2 skills for the enchantress follower....
Hello! Some quick background, I left Diablo after season 9 (ended rank 50) and am coming back and testing out builds to see what I want to play for season 17. Love the variety of viable builds now! I tried Raekor HOTA and could only beat GRift 86. I then tried IK HOTA and beat GRift 95. I don't want to play the "5th best" build though. I am sure about ~5 games isn't enough to master Raekor HOTA as I had tons of hours to master WW for season 9. I couldn't do wall walking at all except on the Rift guardian lol. How long did it take you guys to feel confident in Raekor HOTA?
04/08/2019 07:56 AMPosted by PicklesJr
Hello! Some quick background, I left Diablo after season 9 (ended rank 50) and am coming back and testing out builds to see what I want to play for season 17. Love the variety of viable builds now! I tried Raekor HOTA and could only beat GRift 86. I then tried IK HOTA and beat GRift 95. I don't want to play the "5th best" build though. I am sure about ~5 games isn't enough to master Raekor HOTA as I had tons of hours to master WW for season 9. I couldn't do wall walking at all except on the Rift guardian lol. How long did it take you guys to feel confident in Raekor HOTA?

Hi PicklesJr! Start with easier walls first. You’ll get the idea quickly. Harder parts are corridor maps like Adria. If you have the cursor too far on the thin wall, you will “charge around” it. You will know what I mean when you try it first. Whrn you master the technique you will be able to wall charge small islands on festering woods, corners, round columns, pretty much any object you can’t walk through.
It didn’t take me too long to get decent with the build. To practice I recommend starting with the difficulty where you can 1shot elites with 100% EW stacks. Get comfortable with that, then go up when you have to drag to the next spot for a kill, and so on. On a high level it takes multiple cycles to kill an elite and enough trash to make it worth the time.
04/08/2019 07:56 AMPosted by PicklesJr

Evenstar is a great player and, as always, he gave you great advice. I'd like to add that the build is quite tricky to play; of all our major builds, I think it is the hardest to master, and I think you got a taste for what I mean. IK HOTA is very straight forward: Find elites and density, hammer, move on when density thins and try to get the elite to follow.

R6 HOTA has a lot more nuance. For a more detailed explanation, look at the links to the video analyses posted in the OP. They offer detailed breakdowns of some truly awesome clears and may help you master the build.

Good luck with the build and let us know if you have questions!
Hey Free - giving some other builds a try. Playing this one right now and have done a solo 95 with no augments but it is tricky!

Question on swords - trying to get LPH (as suggested in the guide) on either an ancient rouge or slander with native str, 20%AD, 10%CDR.

The problem is it doesn't even give LPH as an option???

Am I missing something lol? I did use the gift to socket it first - would that have made a difference to the roll options I was offered?
04/11/2019 09:13 PMPosted by welobill
Question on swords - trying to get LPH (as suggested in the guide) on either an ancient rouge or slander with native str, 20%AD, 10%CDR. The problem is it doesn't even give LPH as an option???

Does it have life on kill as a stat? I don't think you can have both life on kill and life on hit, that's probably your issue.
Free and Evenstar, thank you for the help! I bumped my GRift from 87 to 100. Could you check out my non-season character (PicklesJr) to see if you can recommend any changes? I only have 2 augments because they are from my S9 WW barb. My compass rose is absolute shiet; I am rolling for that one now. I saw your guide says I should be using the Esoteric gem instead of Goguk if you are under 2000 paragon (I'm 987) so I can upgrade that next.
found a primal compas rose with stats as below:-

650 Str
650 Vit
Attack Speed +7%
+10% movement speed
socket (1)

how should i roll for?
04/22/2019 07:06 AMPosted by Kiranaga
found a primal compas rose with stats as below:-

650 Str
650 Vit
Attack Speed +7%
+10% movement speed
socket (1)

how should i roll for?

Ouch! That's a really bad ring. Roll the move speed to CDR, but your current Ancient ring is better if you roll its move speed to CHD. It's very difficult to get a GG Compass Rose.
Is there a "best practice" key binding/setting?
I created a new char based on this guide (my other one is a WW build, which I play since D3 was released and also optimized it using Free's awesome guide). R6-HOTA has a pretty different gameplay. (With the WW build) I am used to have my "attacking skills" on left/right mouse buttons, so I put HOTA on the left mouse button and Furious Charge on the right button. However, I see that lots of people have Furious Charge on a keyboard key. Tried that out but it somehow seems strange to me.
On the other hand, in some situations -especially when wall charging- (having both skills on left/right mouse buttons) I noticed that when I finally want to hammer and stop clicking/holding the right mouse button, start pushing/holding the left mouse button, nothing happens (char stands still), which might be due to using the mouse for both skills.