Replaced mouse battery mid-game

General Discussion
I actually run a wireless Logitech Performance MX when playing D3. Because it has a nice free wheel spin feature. (I bind my movement to the mouse wheel, works nice). Plus its rechargeable. Must be about 8 years old now, but still works perfectly. It has played a LOT of D3 the past 6 years.

I also have a Razer Blackwidow X Chroma keyboard with a Razer Deathadder Elite mouse. So I do have a backup corded mouse. But I use that mouse mostly with FPS games. I think only once did I run my wireless dead and have to switch to the corded one. But that was a while ago.

To each their own. Game on.
who plays games wireless?
05/15/2018 09:32 PMPosted by DOA
who plays games wireless?

Surprisingly, many people. Why would you ask a question like that? I think the answer is obvious. Not everyone has a dedicated gaming desktop hardwired to a router/modem.

Many play on laptops. Not all of them are going to be hardwired.

Wireless isn't always bad. But if you have a bad wireless access point, bad wireless card, bad settings, background interference, yeah, you are going to have way more chances of issues. But not everyone has these problems and get along just fine on wireless.

I have played from both. And to be honest, most of the time I can't tell the difference. I have even played the game from a cell phone hotspot. Worked fine. Bit higher ping/latency, but worked well enough to play the game without issues.

So those of you using hardwired options please don't look down your nose at those who go wireless. Most of the time, we already know the risks.

Game on.
05/15/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Jay
You're gonna have to show me how to perform surgery with a mouse, sounds like a top notch life skill.

Do a search for local colleges offering courses to become a veterinary surgeon.
05/15/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Meteorblade
You're gonna have to show me how to perform surgery with a mouse, sounds like a top notch life skill.

Do a search for local colleges offering courses to become a veterinary surgeon.

LOL!

Love your work.
05/15/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Scourge
And what was the downside?

Depends what you call a downside
From playing with a wireless mouse and going to a wired mouse I found out that there was, in my opinion, a fair delay in the wireless mouse in anything you do with the mouse and in that delay can be the difference between living and dying in D3
05/15/2018 06:11 PMPosted by SoAngry
I'm playing a video game, not performing open heart surgery. I'll take the risk of having a wireless mouse and keyboard because it allows me to lie down on my couch and play comfortably.

Alas, typically we're still only at joystick level of development in robotic surgery. Mouse is in the future.
05/15/2018 06:11 PMPosted by SoAngry
I'm playing a video game, not performing open heart surgery. I'll take the risk of having a wireless mouse and keyboard because it allows me to lie down on my couch and play comfortably.

Fun Fact: Open-Heart Surgery with a computer mouse is one of the 'skills' liam Neeson referenced while speaking with the kidnapper in Taken.
Wireless mouse user here, in my setup, the mouse wire obstructs the movements, I've found myself less precise when moving the mouse upwards due to actual wire adding resistance from curling or dragging on the desk. The latency on a wireless mouse is negligible compared to the network, and all of those hops to Blizz's server. I'll take a consistent 1-2ms delay over random wire trip-ups -- to each their own.
05/16/2018 02:10 AMPosted by JahIthBer
Fun Fact: Open-Heart Surgery with a computer mouse is one of the 'skills' liam Neeson referenced while speaking with the kidnapper in Taken.

Fun Fact: In Robin Hood Prince of Thieves the Sherriff of Nottingham threatens to cut Robin's heart out with a spoon. Don't let that guy near your mice!
I use a wireless because the corded mice always end up with the cord getting stuck on the edge of my desk. It's an annoyance to me so I use wireless. I have a big box of AA batteries in my drawer. I usually change them out once a month and put the old ones in a cabinet for my TV remote since they still have some life left. I haven't had a problem with dead batteries in a while.
I used to use a wireless Logitech. Went through a few of them over many years. A couple years ago I decided on a wired one. Ended up with a Razer Death Adder Chroma and love it. Never had any issues with it at all.

I never really had any issues with the wireless ones. Long sessions required intermittent charging though.
I don't like wireless. Maybe they have changed over the years, but when they first came out the sensor would make my mouse pointer jump all over the screen if the mouse was lifted just the slightest bit. They also consumed batteries really fast back then (again I don't know how they are now). I would be in the middle of a PvP match in WoW and the mouse would just die on me. It never failed to happen at the worst possible opportunity.
05/16/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Merp
It never failed to happen at the worst possible opportunity.

You forgot to take into account and appreciate Murphy's law. :P
05/16/2018 06:31 AMPosted by DTMAce
05/16/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Merp
It never failed to happen at the worst possible opportunity.

You forgot to take into account and appreciate Murphy's law. :P

Big time. Especially when I would run out of batteries. =(

Edit: That is when I'd search my house for a small flashlight or something else that had batteries.
I would never use a wireless mouse for gaming.
I have cats that like to eat mouse and keyboard wires. I would rather deal with battery issues than spend a fortune on wired stuff at this point.
05/16/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Duckypoo
I use a wireless because the corded mice always end up with the cord getting stuck on the edge of my desk. It's an annoyance to me so I use wireless. I have a big box of AA batteries in my drawer. I usually change them out once a month and put the old ones in a cabinet for my TV remote since they still have some life left. I haven't had a problem with dead batteries in a while.

Yes, desk edges can be an annoyance; however, some simple desk modifications can eliminate those annoyances entirely.

I placed a piece of black electical tape over the back edge of my keyboard and mouse tray to reduce its abrasiveness. I also secured the excess cord length the underside of the desk with electrical staples leaving just enough slack for a full range of motion.

In short, cable management improves the mousing experience.
05/16/2018 09:19 AMPosted by RedCell
05/16/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Duckypoo

Yes, desk edges can be an annoyance; however, some simple desk modifications can eliminate those annoyances entirely.

I placed a piece of black electical tape over the back edge of my keyboard and mouse tray to reduce its abrasiveness. I also secured the excess cord length the underside of the desk with electrical staples leaving just enough slack for a full range of motion.

In short, cable management improves the mousing experience.

I thought about something like that, but I have an old executive desk that is expensive/worth a lot of money. I'd rather not risk any type of damage to the wood or leather on it. I'm happy with my wireless.