GGG (PoE) sells company to Chinese comglomerate

General Discussion
News is about 1 day old for those that did not know. To get the details just google it. The company that bought GGG is called Tencent. I personally was hoping they would come around and release a Linux native client of PoE to which I would spend $$ in their shop and play that game again. However, it seems my break is permanent. Just uninstalled PoE. I'll stick to supporting US, Canadian, European, and South Korean game dev shops.
Khule story bro.
05/21/2018 10:22 PMPosted by BossDogg
News is about 1 day old for those that did not know. To get the details just google it. The company that bought GGG is called Tencent. I personally was hoping they would come around and release a Linux native client of PoE to which I would spend $$ in their shop and play that game again. However, it seems my break is permanent. Just uninstalled PoE. I'll stick to supporting US, Canadian, European, and South Korean game dev shops.

Couldn’t care less
Why are you guys down voting? I'm just passing around information. There is plenty of similarity between PoE and D3 as well as plenty of comparison discussions over the years. I've played both games and enjoyed both games but decided to stop playing PoE a while back and was playing D3.

@Pycckue:
You are obviously interested. Glad you posted though. :)

@AsagiD304:
Khule story... take a look:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147453/page/1
PoE is fine game that I tried, and disliked.

TenCent, according the press release, will let GGG run the game as they have been. This means the game won't change, and I still won't like it.
05/21/2018 11:19 PMPosted by BossDogg
Why are you guys down voting?

The down-votes are probably because people are sick of hearing about POE on the Diablo forums.

Welcome! Please Read
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/3074657442
    The Diablo III forums are for discussion of topics directly related to Diablo III.

The forums here are specifically to discuss the games and related topics. Any topics not related to Diablo III, Battle.net, or Blizzard Entertainment are subject to deletion.
Tencent is the company that created QQ, the most popular instant messaging application in Asia. If you are somewhere in China or Japan, and you ask a guy or gal for his or her number, you're likely to get their QQ number rather than a phone number.

For a while I was importing android tablets from China, and the easiest way to talk to customer service and support at the manufacturing company was to get the woman's (it was always a woman) QQ number. It was faster, easier, and more direct than trying to use the telephone system or email to contact these people, And I even used QQ video chat with my customer service representative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ

PS: Meteorblade, "related" is a very large gray area, and one could argue that anything that concerns Path of Exile also concerns Activison, Blizzard Entertainment, and Diablo. For example, if Tencent bought POE because they like it, then they will probably greatly improve it since they are rich, and that's bad for Diablo because that presents additional competition. If they bought POE because it presents competition to a similar property they own, then they will kill POE, and that will be good for Diablo and Blizzard. These events and topics are definitely and directly related, so chill out, Counselor.
@MeteorBlade:
Point taken. However, it is related to D3 in that:
I'll stick to supporting US, Canadian, European, and South Korean game dev shops.

Blizzard/Activision are US based game dev shops. I'm supporting them by:
- buying their products
- using their products
- participating in the game related on-line forums
- PoE is a D3 competitor worthy of compare/contrast to D3 (my opinion)

I seriously doubt forum mods are going to be super sensitive since:
1 - I'm not spamming
2 - I'm not bringing negativity to the forum
3 - I've made compare/contrast statements/posts in regard to D3 and other hack-n-slash games here in the general forum (healthy discussions)
4 - There are plenty of discussions that have no relationship to D3 and the mods don't immediately have a knee-jerk reaction (ex: discussions regarding politics/sports/celebrities/major events outside the game)

#4 is a biggie as there are quite a large number of posts referencing a well know political slogan by acronym (in many cases a preceded by a hash tag). I dislike the slogan and what it represents but I don't go hunting through the forums for posts/threads to down vote, nor do I seek to inflame or derail those discussions. The slogan reference by acronym has nothing to do with D3.

If people are sick of hearing about PoE in the D3 forums, down voting doesn't provide any relief from said illness. I'm not particularly happy about discussions involving or referencing politics but I'm also not dumping an ambiguous response (down voting). My personal preference would be for players to use their words constructively and respectfully to express their dissatisfaction or disagreement because a down vote doesn't immediately convey their intent thus leads to interpretation/misinterpretation.

Lastly, with the sale of the company (GGG) I suspect some players will abandon the game (PoE) and therefore a reduction in threads referencing the game will result. In the end, if the forums mods truly find this thread to be egregiously offensive, I know the response I will get from them. I do not believe this thread is egregious or offensive (in the broad sense or against CoC). I don't think the down vote to your post is warranted either.
05/22/2018 12:40 AMPosted by StoneOld
PS: Meteorblade, "related" is a very large gray area, and one could argue that anything that concerns Path of Exile also concerns Activison, Blizzard Entertainment, and Diablo. For example, if Tencent bought POE because they like it, then they will probably greatly improve it since they are rich, and that's bad for Diablo because that presents additional competition. If they bought POE because it presents competition to a similar property they own, then they will kill POE, and that will be good for Diablo and Blizzard. These events and topics are definitely and directly related, so chill out, Counselor.

I think killing the other game would be bad overall as that would remove some amount of incentive for Blizz to innovate. The fact that there are players that enjoy both games is why I posted here. I don't think we would have the current legendary gem system in D3 if it were not for the other game.

Can I have your stuff?
LMAO !

Here ya go PoE fanbois arguing "We need to support GGG" - "GGG needs our microtransactions to survive !" bla bla bla - the only thing youve supported all the time is that Chris Wilson now has to decide between purchasing 100 ferraris or 100 lambos since the Tencent deal. He never intended to keep GGG independent but rather intended to make his own bags full of $$$ *hahaha.

GZ poe fans ! I'd suggest you purchase even more 400$ supporter packs in future to support the "poor" chinese Tencent multibillion $ company - they urgently need your support and cash *rofl.

Very well played Chris ! *bows (;
LMAO @PowerCosmic. Nope it has to rot in the Tencent abyss for ever lol.

@Ninegraves:
I think I may have spent a total or $20 to $40 on PoE. I've never spent $$ on their supporter pack.
05/21/2018 11:37 PMPosted by DOA
PoE is fine game that I tried, and disliked.

TenCent, according the press release, will let GGG run the game as they have been. This means the game won't change, and I still won't like it.
Untill Pay to win loot boxes show up.
Tencent also owns league of legends, it seems like china is trying to buy every single popular online game lol.
POE GGG still deliver new content every 3 month. not like Blizzard on D3 with nothing, GGG talk to players on weekly base. blizzard dont do nothing.

3500 hours on D3 and now i have to go play POE becorse nothing new in S13 or S14.

i cant play the same game over and over without new content.

i be back to D3 when druid is comming out :)
05/22/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Syhler187
POE GGG still deliver new content every 3 month. not like Blizzard on D3 with nothing,

There's a simple reason: different business model.

PoE is a free-to-play game with microtransactions. The only way GGG keeps getting income is to squeeze out new content constantly so that people keep buying cosmetic stuff and such. It's mandatory for GGG to do so.

D3 is a buy-to-play game. Once you buy the game, Blizzard no longer has any other means get any further income from you. You have already paid in full for what was promised. Anything else added later is something Blizzard gets absolutely nothing in return.
-------------------------------
Moderator: Locking thread as it is not related to Diablo III or Blizzard.