General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
05/31/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Merp
05/30/2018 07:20 PMPosted by GhostDragon

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo-iii
Product Requirements

Internet connection required
Blizzard® Account required

Just because you didn't read the requirements doesn't change the fact she is right.

To be honest, almost no one reads the requirements anymore for games. I know I haven't done that probably since I had an IBM 486 and dial up. For a long time, games have been no where near even mid grade computers on the market for their time. That is the reason why there was so much outrage when D3 was launched.

There was outrage when D3 was launched because it was bad.

The story was meh (and Cain died).

The difficulty ramped too harshly, and took too much time, luck, and/or money to bypass.

The AH was a freaking disaster.

There was no character choice or much of a leveling game.

D3 received outrage mainly because it took too much of the RP out of RPG, and had the AH.
05/31/2018 12:01 AMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
D3 is at a point in its life where there's not a whole lot of player base to validate an always online necessity.

Blizz could easily add an offline capability, but make it COMPLETELY SEPARATE from their online servers.
No shared characters, stashes, progression, or anything else.
Basically 2 completely separate games, one local and one server based.

Some people will say this will make it much easier for players to figure out how to manipulate the online servers.
However, with everything being server based, this would basically require server hacking, which is no different from what they would have to do now.

On top of that, it would appear that server latency has gotten worse.
I have experienced more lag this season than any other, despite nothing having changed on my end, even at low usage hours.

We also have the issue of low player counts, especially for a non-seasonal player such as myself.

With the age of the game, the only reason NOT to allow an offline mode is the fact that it would virtually kill the online community; Which would not only show how truly unpopular multiplayer is, but also showing just how much the always online aspect has hindered the game, and was a mistake.
Player modding would also show how inefficient the D3 team is at balance, as there would be a player mod released within the first month that would provide a MASSIVE balance improvement.

Hell, I would argue adding offline mode would greatly increase the life span of D3, as we would be able to fix all the issues ourselves.

At the very least, add a function like SC2, in which mods are provided within the game itself for solo play only.

Ultimately, my biggest support for offline is based off 2 things.
Server quality seemingly getting worse, and having no need for multiplayer functionality, as I rarely use it.

So.. your stance is that D3 is waning and not a lot of people play anymore, and that because of this Blizzard should put time into adding an offline feature to a 6 year old game.

Yeah, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I also have a problem with you saying that offline mode immediately equals hacked and modded versions of the game. I don’t know.. did you ever think that maybe that plays a role in WHY there isn’t an offline mode? I certainly wouldn’t want every Joe off the street corner screwing around with my work.
05/31/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Alexismad
That is the reason why there was so much outrage when D3 was launched.

There was so much outrage because the game was designed so poorly and released incomplete, not because the player base can't read whats clearly stated on the box.

On the day ...error 37, that's what really got people, we all knew it was online only but Blizzard didn't account for how much server load they would have to deal with.

In the first 6 months there was lots of errors and down time and i can imagine Hardcore characters killed.
It left a bitter taste, you don't tend to forget when you pay money and can't play it.
05/31/2018 07:57 AMPosted by goldbones666
On the day ...error 37, that's what really got people, we all knew it was online only but Blizzard didn't account for how much server load they would have to deal with.

Similar happened when Diablo 2 was released. Day 1: You're going to join a game? Wait about a minimum of 30 min in queue...game is joining....OOPS you got dropped and start over. It took me about 2 hours to join my first game over battle.net.

This isn't the first time a company miscalculated just how crazy busy their servers will be. It won't be the last.

Yes, it sucks and it's not fun. Yes, Blizzard could have worked harder to get the issues fixed. I'm sure they were trying the best they could given they weren't prepared(Ha! Illidan strikes!). That's the reason why I never play games online on Day 1, save WoW when a new expansion is out. Gotta get that world of Warcrack fix, servers slammed or not.
05/18/2018 10:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah
You have made many threads (with various reasons) about this over the years only to be told no every time. If you want an offline game, buy an offline game. Don't buy an online only game and expect that to change.
To be honest, when I first bought D3, I didn't know it was online only. I didn't expect the model to change. I would not have bought it otherwise.

That being said, I'm never buying an online only game again...and with today's climate, probably means I'm never buying a game again. But that's fine, I'm in a good place right now.
05/31/2018 07:57 AMPosted by goldbones666

There was so much outrage because the game was designed so poorly and released incomplete, not because the player base can't read whats clearly stated on the box.

In the first 6 months there was lots of errors and down time and i can imagine Hardcore characters killed.
It left a bitter taste, you don't tend to forget when you pay money and can't play it.

I played without issue on launch day, at launch time.

Besides, that doesn’t really have to do with the game itself. Yes, such a server mod causing issue is valid reason for concern, but this particular conversion is about the game itself.

Besides which, while an offline mode would possibly have helped at the time, allowing people with those problems to play offline, the majority of players would still have played online as soon as they could, and he majority would have stayed there.

That’s WHY a lot of games are online nowadays. Players on the whole are gravitating to it and accepting it, and companies have been and are continually taking advantage of features that online play allows.
05/31/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Shanso
05/18/2018 10:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah
You have made many threads (with various reasons) about this over the years only to be told no every time. If you want an offline game, buy an offline game. Don't buy an online only game and expect that to change.
To be honest, when I first bought D3, I didn't know it was online only. I didn't expect the model to change. I would not have bought it otherwise.

That being said, I'm never buying an online only game again...and with today's climate, probably means I'm never buying a game again. But that's fine, I'm in a good place right now.

Why didn’t you return it, then? It’s rather noticeable that D3 doesn’t have an offline mode once you start playing even if someone did manage to get to that point without knowing.

Plus, the last game was released TWELVE years before.. I mean, who doesn’t expect changes to a model in that length of time?
05/30/2018 07:35 PMPosted by PonyKiller
A lot of people purchased the game expecting it. I am surprised a class action lawsuit hasn't been filed over it. Putting something in fine barely readable print is shady. They were hardly forthright about the whole thing. They should have printed it in big bright warning. But then they would not have sold so many copies.

Why didn't you return the game immediately and get your money back after firing up the game and seeing there was no offline mode?
If you really did buy it expecting offline why didn't you return it?
D3 is at a point in its life where there's not a whole lot of player base to validate an always online necessity.

There is no way for us to be able to know just how many players are playing worldwide. Only Blizz has the numbers and they are not telling us what they are.

Blizz could easily add an offline capability, but make it COMPLETELY SEPARATE from their online servers.
No shared characters, stashes, progression, or anything else.
Basically 2 completely separate games, one local and one server based.

Still the entire game has to be on your computer for offline to work. That gives players too much information to be able to do a lot of things that you might think is impossible to do.

Some people will say this will make it much easier for players to figure out how to manipulate the online servers.
However, with everything being server based, this would basically require server hacking, which is no different from what they would have to do now.

A person might figure out how to hack into Blizz's game server, no not the server that contains personal account information that could be used for hacking accouonts or ID theft. I am talking about game information so someone could force the game to drop a primal ancient Yang's Recurve with all of the right affixes. But the problem is that since all of the info is server side there is no way of knowing how to accomplish it in the first place.

It would be like a master safe cracker. One that can easily break into any safe. Sure that person might be able to crack on the of hardest safes to crack. But there is no guarantee that there will be anything of value in there. There is no way of knowing what is inside the safe. Which is similar to the game. Yes players would love to know how some of those things work. But without that info being able to hack the servers would be useless to players without that extra info.

Offline mode would have that info. Then all that would be needed would be to figure out how to get fool the server or hack the server in a way that would allow all kinds of things that you might think that are impossible.

On top of that, it would appear that server latency has gotten worse.
I have experienced more lag this season than any other, despite nothing having changed on my end, even at low usage hours.

There is no reason good enough for an offline mode.

We also have the issue of low player counts, especially for a non-seasonal player such as myself.

That is not an issue with offline mode it is an issue with seasons.

With the age of the game, the only reason NOT to allow an offline mode is the fact that it would virtually kill the online community; Which would not only show how truly unpopular multiplayer is, but also showing just how much the always online aspect has hindered the game, and was a mistake.

Even if you have a lot of players that are going solo that is not reason enough to have an offline mode. If it were an hinderance then D3 wouldn't have sold as many units as it did over its lifetime. Yes I am counting the sales of the game long after the first years along with RoS.
Player modding would also show how inefficient the D3 team is at balance, as there would be a player mod released within the first month that would provide a MASSIVE balance improvement.

Player modding wouldn't bother trying to balance what is already in the game. If they were allowed to mod they would make something entirely different.

If you really believe that players could easily balance what is already in the game the way the game is right now without changing it into something entirely different. Then you don't know how hard it is to balance a game. More so with all of the items that are in the game.

Hell, I would argue adding offline mode would greatly increase the life span of D3, as we would be able to fix all the issues ourselves.

What players would wind up doing is making a mod that makes this game a prettier D2 clone instead of really improving the franchise.

Server quality seemingly getting worse, and having no need for multiplayer functionality, as I rarely use it.

Just because you rarely use multiplayer doesn't mean that no one else does, so that is not a good reason for olffline mode.
A person might figure out how to hack into Blizz's game server,

Lol nope. Gave me a chuckle though. You give people offline mode and they find a way of hacking your servers... such life...
https://i.imgur.com/T3B42zl.gif
05/30/2018 07:20 PMPosted by GhostDragon

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo-iii
Product Requirements

Internet connection required
Blizzard® Account required

Just because you didn't read the requirements doesn't change the fact she is right.

To be honest, almost no one reads the requirements anymore for games. I know I haven't done that probably since I had an IBM 486 and dial up. For a long time, games have been no where near even mid grade computers on the market for their time. That is the reason why there was so much outrage when D3 was launched.

I guess then those same people walk around with blinders on all of the time. Where the only things they notices is what is happening to them personally. Where all hell can be breaking lose around them and they wouldn't notice it.

What those ones don't care if they have a good enough computer to play the game that they are buying. That is dumb in the extreme.

Plus those ones also were the ones that decided I will bury my head in the sand like an ostrich not even keeping track of a game that they are interested in playing. I don't see how that is possible. It wasn't that hard for me to keep track of this game during development.

05/31/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Merp

You're wrong. I'm not sticking up for an "offline mode". I'm just stating my opinion as well as a few facts.

This thread is not about anything else but offline mode.
Every half a year someone starts a thread about offline mode; guys face it it wont come for D3 PC anymore.

Maybee for D4 but even that is a rather weak chance because of blizz reasoning "no offline mode = secure anti cheat protection".

Even for the upcoming Fallout Vault 76 Bethesda announced an online mode for the first time ever on that series.

I understand an offline mode would help people with weak inet connections but the trend is exactly the opposite; more and more games go online and obviously the gamedevs care more for a cheatfree gaming experience than for some users having trouble with their internet.

Kinna hard to swallow but thats how it is.
Era of offline games is a past. You still need internet to activate a singleplayer game. You can't do much without internet nowadays. Gaming devs don't really even want to make singleplayer story campaign anymore and focus on multiplayer only
05/18/2018 09:21 AMPosted by PonyKiller
I like the way the console does things. If you play a character offline, it can never be played online. No seasons for you, if you wanna play seasons, get your bum online!

But why should people be expected to pay 310 dollars just to play offline! Plus the necro DLC when they already own this stuff for the PC?

The reason I ask is because I don't always have a strong internet connection up in the mountains. I am sure that there are enough people who wish to take their laptops camping and play. Why do you force the PC to be online when you obviously quit caring about the PC version? Just give us offline already.

lol
05/31/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Orrion

So.. your stance is that D3 is waning and not a lot of people play anymore, and that because of this Blizzard should put time into adding an offline feature to a 6 year old game.

Yeah, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Actually, it makes a ton of sense. Offline mode would allow them to reduce server load, as the vast majority of players would transfer to offline. This would reduce server maintenance costs for Blizz.
Many players would come back specifically because offline was introduced.
There would likely be a noticeable uptick in sales of both vanilla and RoS, as well as necro pack sales.

I also have a problem with you saying that offline mode immediately equals hacked and modded versions of the game.

I'm not saying offline immediately equals modding, but considering as long as the player base has had issues with game balance, I wouldn't put it past the D3 community to immediately begin working on a balance mod.

I don’t know.. did you ever think that maybe that plays a role in WHY there isn’t an offline mode? I certainly wouldn’t want every Joe off the street corner screwing around with my work.

NOPE.. never considered it even once, and with good reason. SC2 has a significantly larger community, significantly better support from Blizz, significantly better balance, 2 expansions = each with significantly more content....
Basically the game is better managed in every way, by Blizzard, yet it has offline mode AND built in mod support.
All this despite being an older game, and Oh by the way, not a subscription based game.
05/31/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Orrion

There was outrage when D3 was launched because it was bad.

The story was meh (and Cain died).

The difficulty ramped too harshly, and took too much time, luck, and/or money to bypass.

The AH was a freaking disaster.

There was no character choice or much of a leveling game.

D3 received outrage mainly because it took too much of the RP out of RPG, and had the AH.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the vast majority of outrage was actually tied to server based launch failures, which lead to many threads, blogs, and commenters blasting Blizz because of it.
Many of which, including reviews, brought up the fact that there was virtually no need for an always online connection, as most players played solo only.
Truth is, the issue of an offline mode has been going on since before the release of D3.

Funny thing is, here we are 6 years later and we still have issues with the server.
I'm convinced it has gotten worse this past season. Lag has increased quite a bit, despite me having changed nothing and really only playing during off hours.
05/31/2018 10:55 AMPosted by NINEGRAVES
Every half a year someone starts a thread about offline mode; guys face it it wont come for D3 PC anymore.

Maybee for D4 but even that is a rather weak chance because of blizz reasoning "no offline mode = secure anti cheat protection".

Actually, If/when they do announce/release a D4 title, it would probably increase the odds of D3 having an offline mode introduced; As it would likely increase the chances of D3 servers being shut down entirely.
I don't believe D3 is popular enough, or even good enough, to retain a relevant enough player base to validate leaving servers open, at least to the level they currently are. Well, this is all assuming there is a D4 coming.
Though, while I agree the likelihood of D4 having an offline mode is pretty low, I will also state that D4 would (hopefully) have more validation for having an always online connection.

Even for the upcoming Fallout Vault 76 Bethesda announced an online mode for the first time ever on that series.

Actually, this is likely because 76 is not a fully Fallout game, such as fallout 4 or a potential fallout 5. It's more likely a Fallout universe game like shelter is.
Many are under the belief it will either be a survival style such as DayZ or H1Z1.
Others believe it's Bethesda's attempt at another battleground title.

I understand an offline mode would help people with weak inet connections but the trend is exactly the opposite; more and more games go online and obviously the gamedevs care more for a cheatfree gaming experience than for some users having trouble with their internet.

I don't agree.
The trend has been towards always online games, but not because of cheatfree gaming.
The trend is that way because more game are multiplayer based.
Game devs attempting to develop a cheatfree gaming experience is a necessity in making a competitive multiplayer game.
Leaderboards, AH, and seamless single to group play are some of very few reasons why Blizzard implemented always online.
What they didn't consider (and likely couldn't) is how few players would care about leaderboards, that the AH would flop, and that seamless single to group play was irrelevant in a predominantly solo based game. Though, I would argue the reason for it being predominantly solo based is because Blizz did a poor job at implementing group play.
PS3 and x360 are prime examples of why blizzard won't do offline for d3 PC. And yes it's because of modding.
06/01/2018 02:08 AMPosted by shadowforge
PS3 and x360 are prime examples of why blizzard won't do offline for d3 PC. And yes it's because of modding.

It's because they didn't separate offline from online, allowing players to bring modded gear and stats into online play.