Can we please get offline on the PC?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
05/31/2018 11:38 PMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
05/31/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Orrion

So.. your stance is that D3 is waning and not a lot of people play anymore, and that because of this Blizzard should put time into adding an offline feature to a 6 year old game.

Yeah, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Actually, it makes a ton of sense. Offline mode would allow them to reduce server load, as the vast majority of players would transfer to offline.

Pure speculation on your part.

This would reduce server maintenance costs for Blizz.

But you acknowledge that less people are playing now, which means server maintenance costs are going down by themselves anyway.

Many players would come back specifically because offline was introduced.

Which would have zero impact (even if it were true) since Blizzard wouldn’t know those guys were playing, would they?

There would likely be a noticeable uptick in sales of both vanilla and RoS, as well as necro pack sales.

Again, pure speculation. The number of people who passed on the game 6 years ago due to no offline mode has to be pretty small, comparatively. Let alone the number of those who would come back years later.

Besides, both the base game and RoS don’t cost much now, so even if there were sales the amount of money that would come in would not be that much.

Blizzard has already made the vast majority of the money they’re going to make on D3 whatever they do.

I also have a problem with you saying that offline mode immediately equals hacked and modded versions of the game.

I'm not saying offline immediately equals modding, but considering as long as the player base has had issues with game balance, I wouldn't put it past the D3 community to immediately begin working on a balance mod.

And.. why would Blizzard care about that? They haven’t set themselves up in such a way as to take advantage of modding in D3 like, say, Grim Dawn did. You can actually play multiplayer with mods in that game, as long as you make sure your versions are all correct.

I don’t know.. did you ever think that maybe that plays a role in WHY there isn’t an offline mode? I certainly wouldn’t want every Joe off the street corner screwing around with my work.

NOPE.. never considered it even once, and with good reason. SC2 has a significantly larger community, significantly better support from Blizz, significantly better balance, 2 expansions = each with significantly more content....
Basically the game is better managed in every way, by Blizzard, yet it has offline mode AND built in mod support.
All this despite being an older game, and Oh by the way, not a subscription based game.

The key difference is that Blizzard set it up that way, and RTS mods are rather commonplace now. For instance, most every RTS has had the ability to create maps, if nothing else.

ARPG mods are not - Grim Dawn is the only example I can think of where the company has actually endorsed it.
05/31/2018 11:44 PMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
05/31/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Orrion

There was outrage when D3 was launched because it was bad.

The story was meh (and Cain died).

The difficulty ramped too harshly, and took too much time, luck, and/or money to bypass.

The AH was a freaking disaster.

There was no character choice or much of a leveling game.

D3 received outrage mainly because it took too much of the RP out of RPG, and had the AH.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the vast majority of outrage was actually tied to server based launch failures, which lead to many threads, blogs, and commenters blasting Blizz because of it.

Even if I were to grant that, the window to address that particular issue with an offline mode ended about 6 years ago.

Many of which, including reviews, brought up the fact that there was virtually no need for an always online connection, as most players played solo only.

I doubt that “most players played solo only.” I am also skeptical whether some that did was because they wanted to play solo, or because the endgame at the time punished grouping.

Truth is, the issue of an offline mode has been going on since before the release of D3.

The harsher truth for you is that as the years have gone by it’s become far less of one, as not only have a lot of players moved on - inevitable as a game ages - but having a reliable and steady internet connection has become more and more common.

Moreover, the overall trend for gaming - and life in general, really - is continually moving toward doing more things online, not less.

On the day ...error 37, that's what really got people, we all knew it was online only but Blizzard didn't account for how much server load they would have to deal with.

In the first 6 months there was lots of errors and down time and i can imagine Hardcore characters killed.
It left a bitter taste, you don't tend to forget when you pay money and can't play it.

Funny thing is, here we are 6 years later and we still have issues with the server.
I'm convinced it has gotten worse this past season. Lag has increased quite a bit, despite me having changed nothing and really only playing during off hours.

I haven’t had a server issue or lag in a long while, and I was playing only a couple weeks back to grab the Earth set for my Barbarian.
Actually, it makes a ton of sense. Offline mode would allow them to reduce server load, as the vast majority of players would transfer to offline. This would reduce server maintenance costs for Blizz.
Many players would come back specifically because offline was introduced.
There would likely be a noticeable uptick in sales of both vanilla and RoS, as well as necro pack sales.

I do believe that it still costs the same to maintain the servers whether you have 7 million or 7 thousand. I do believe that the size of the server doesn't change due to load. If it does, then why not just increase the size of the server that would also help due to it being able to handle more players.

I'm not saying offline immediately equals modding, but considering as long as the player base has had issues with game balance, I wouldn't put it past the D3 community to immediately begin working on a balance mod.

I highly doubt that the player base could make a balance mod that would perfectly balance the game with the way the game is right now. The only way that could happen is if you truly homogenized every build in the game.

05/31/2018 11:44 PMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the vast majority of outrage was actually tied to server based launch failures, which lead to many threads, blogs, and commenters blasting Blizz because of it.
Many of which, including reviews, brought up the fact that there was virtually no need for an always online connection, as most players played solo only.
Truth is, the issue of an offline mode has been going on since before the release of D3.

I have seen more threads here on the forums blasting Blizz for launching vanilla D3 in the poor state it was in at launch than I did seeing a call for offline mode.

06/01/2018 12:08 AMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
Actually, If/when they do announce/release a D4 title, it would probably increase the odds of D3 having an offline mode introduced; As it would likely increase the chances of D3 servers being shut down entirely.
I don't believe D3 is popular enough, or even good enough, to retain a relevant enough player base to validate leaving servers open, at least to the level they currently are. Well, this is all assuming there is a D4 coming.
Though, while I agree the likelihood of D4 having an offline mode is pretty low, I will also state that D4 would (hopefully) have more validation for having an always online connection.

I do know that D4 will see the light of day sometime in the future. It is not a matter of if but when we will see it. That is because Blizz knows that they can still make a ton of money off of the Diablo franchise. More so if they assemble the right team (no Jay Wilson Jr. teams (no D3 repeat)) of devs to work on it.

D4's online only will carry the same reasons as this game. To reduce piracy, to keep all of the player base together. So that way one isn't always playing offline but then wants to join one of his friends online. Even though it doesn't totally prevent cheating. It no doubt slows it down as far as being able to make modded weapons or any other type of cheasts that would happen if offline mode is available.

06/01/2018 04:16 AMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
06/01/2018 02:08 AMPosted by shadowforge
PS3 and x360 are prime examples of why blizzard won't do offline for d3 PC. And yes it's because of modding.

It's because they didn't separate offline from online, allowing players to bring modded gear and stats into online play.

Look if players can take a mode for a game that is not suppose to be used on the online version and use it. That means that someone would be able to do the same with any mod made for a game like this one.
I don't see why an offline mode couldn't be implemented now similarly to how previous games had offline and online modes.

I get the feeling its more of a business decision in the sense that Blizzard is sticking to its initial decision to have no offline mode. I may be wrong but I believe at the time always online and the exclusion of an offline option was more of a DRM move to combat piracy than anything else. Launch sales are long past so there's no reason to otherwise not have this as an option other than how it looks on Blizzard to finally backpedal on their initial decision.

If anything this may be another way to boost sales to some degree.
06/01/2018 04:16 AMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
06/01/2018 02:08 AMPosted by shadowforge
PS3 and x360 are prime examples of why blizzard won't do offline for d3 PC. And yes it's because of modding.

It's because they didn't separate offline from online, allowing players to bring modded gear and stats into online play.

They likely COULDN’T separate it on the consoles. Servers would be probably hosted by Microsoft and Sony rather than Blizzard, and those 2 companies probably said “meh” to online storage for D3 characters.
06/01/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Orrion

06/01/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Orrion
They likely COULDN’T separate it on the consoles. Servers would be probably hosted by Microsoft and Sony rather than Blizzard, and those 2 companies probably said “meh” to online storage for D3 characters.

Brah...
06/01/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Vdizzle
I don't see why an offline mode couldn't be implemented now similarly to how previous games had offline and online modes.

I get the feeling its more of a business decision in the sense that Blizzard is sticking to its initial decision to have no offline mode. I may be wrong but I believe at the time always online and the exclusion of an offline option was more of a DRM move to combat piracy than anything else. Launch sales are long past so there's no reason to otherwise not have this as an option other than how it looks on Blizzard to finally backpedal on their initial decision.

If anything this may be another way to boost sales to some degree.

The amount of money that Blizz could get from sales at this point is gonna be small. Since the cost of the game (D3 vanilla+Ros) is a lot cheaper than it was when both launced. Then adding in the necro would only be a small amount compared to what it would be if such a feature would be at launch.
06/01/2018 03:25 PMPosted by HELLBOUNDMAN
06/01/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Orrion

06/01/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Orrion

Brah...

No, my saying that the servers are hosted by the companies is not the same as speculating about what a large group of people will do.

Also, the majority of games on the console are local storage anyway.
IF you really want to go full nuclear (possibly breaking a few laws/contracts in the process) you may be able to possibly clone and subsequently spoof (your end only) a server (via connection communication data: paired to in-game actions/reactions, this will (most likely) take a very long time to collect and make your own private server.......this info is purely theoretical in nature and I in no way advocate or endorse this....(A!@ covering)
05/30/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Keyblade
05/18/2018 09:21 AMPosted by PonyKiller
I like the way the console does things. If you play a character offline, it can never be played online. No seasons for you, if you wanna play seasons, get your bum online!

But why should people be expected to pay 310 dollars just to play offline! Plus the necro DLC when they already own this stuff for the PC?

The reason I ask is because I don't always have a strong internet connection up in the mountains. I am sure that there are enough people who wish to take their laptops camping and play. Why do you force the PC to be online when you obviously quit caring about the PC version? Just give us offline already.

Its about time you stop asking for this cause its not happening
If you want the offline version go buy it on Console
+1 For OP. We need offline mode for invinite playing.
06/02/2018 01:56 AMPosted by Exxan
+1 For OP. We need offline mode for invinite playing.

Buy a console.
05/31/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Orrion
05/31/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Shanso
...To be honest, when I first bought D3, I didn't know it was online only. I didn't expect the model to change. I would not have bought it otherwise.

That being said, I'm never buying an online only game again...and with today's climate, probably means I'm never buying a game again. But that's fine, I'm in a good place right now.

Why didn’t you return it, then? It’s rather noticeable that D3 doesn’t have an offline mode once you start playing even if someone did manage to get to that point without knowing.

Plus, the last game was released TWELVE years before.. I mean, who doesn’t expect changes to a model in that length of time?
I simply didn't return because I enjoyed the game mechanics. But I still learned a lesson, hence my previous comment.
05/18/2018 10:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah

Can we stop beating this dead horse?

Anyone else amused that she said this to someone with the name "ponykiller"? Or just me?
10/23/2018 03:29 AMPosted by Renegade
05/18/2018 10:12 AMPosted by MissCheetah

Can we stop beating this dead horse?

Anyone else amused that she said this to someone with the name "ponykiller"? Or just me?

Your necro skills are weak young one.