1016, the final error

Technical Support
Error code 1016 has been a problem for me on D3(and WoW/Destiny, different code on there, but the same DC) for almost 2 years now. After the first few months I realized none of the small fixes or even anything Blizzard suggested would fix it, so I called up my buddy who works with servers for companies and we worked for a week testing different settings the whole thing. I even upgraded my internet to the fastest package just to see if it would help.

Nothing has changed it in any way shape or form since day one of it happening. I play tons of other MMOs and online games in general on my PC, never had a DC or error on any of them. I even tried a WoW private server for a week just to see if it would DC, never did. So what I'm basically getting at is all these other companies, Ubisoft, Kakao, GGG, and even some sweaty dudes basement I can connect to with zero issues, but Blizzard I can't.

So just wondering when this will potentially get acknowledged or even fixed. I put a lot of time into Blizzard games and this is a bad bit.
If it have been 2 years, it is unlikely to be blizzard side because otherwise blizzard will be smashed into pieces already.

I suggest you to run the diagnostic tests and post the result here:

traceroute/Looking-Glass (pingpath): https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7871
WinMTR: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27780
You really think I haven't done that before, got a reply from a blue telling me it's my internet, when it isn't. You're new here and want green I get it, but it's not going to happen.

Also, they did get smashed the amount of people that quit during Legion over this bug and D3 in general is in the thousands. Sure may seem like a small margin, but pushing players away doesn't help them either.

It's funny honestly, I've been following the tech forums here and on WoW every few months for 2 years and there's a new post about the error code in question every single day there's a new one. I can only imagine how many players they've lost and they won't even make a post about it.

If you consider the fact that newer games on the app(Destiny 2) are affected, it comes to a point where which game is next? Even if they made a D4 I'd be skeptical at best.
05/25/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Josh
there's a new post about the error code in question every single day there's a new one.

That is a generic disconnect code. You should expect a few every single day given millions of people play Blizzard games and some are going to get disconnected.

Think of the internet like a system of roads. You take a different path to each server you go to. Sometimes there is congestion or hardware issues on individual paths. Kind of like there are traffic jams and accidents every single day on roads.

Blizzard seems to have already told you that there is an issue at some point in the journey your data takes. Blizzard does not control the internet and so won't be able to fix your issue.

When we have actual server issues, there are hundreds of posts about it all at the same time. When there are no server issues, we see the usual trickle of people at a rate of a few a day.

If you want a second opinion on your WinMTR I will be happy to review it for you. Run the test at a time you are having lag or DC issues. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27780

05/25/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Josh
If you consider the fact that newer games on the app(Destiny 2) are affected, it comes to a point where which game is next?

You know Blizzard does not host or run the Destiny servers right? The only thing Blizzard does is verify your authentication credentials then pass you off to the Bungie servers. Bungie handles your game connection from there. You can even close the Blizzard app totally when playing any games, including Blizzard games, if you think the launcher is responsible (it is not).
Hi there Josh,

I think it would be best to talk about how we treat connection issues here on the forums and in support. Mainly because Destiny 2 is not on our servers, Wow and Diablo 3 are not on the same servers, and we only want to help. When it comes to a connection issues, there is always a problem in one of three locations.

The server - When we see the report it is tracked, as well, we have many other data gathering tools for the health of the server.

The ISP - Which for simplicity sake in this explanation is a combination of the nodes used for upstream and downstream information on the internet. We do not have much influence here, as such it tends to be a pain point when the problem is ISP related.

From the users end - This is an area we can try and provide advice for. We try to give troubleshooting advice and direct to things that could cause problems. We can only help as much as a user is willing to let us.

As that is the case, all we can do is try and resolve issues from your end and report trends up. With millions and millions of users, you will always have someone with a connection issue. All we can do is try to help where we can.

If you would like us to try and help, then please post back with the WinMTR and Looking glass report. If you do not want help, then I am sorry, I hope your issues get better.

/Nathardrick
I WOULD DOWN VOTE THE BLUE TO IF I COULD
05/25/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Shallow
I WOULD DOWN VOTE THE BLUE TO IF I COULD

For what? Being polite? Offering to help? Explaining that the OP has some very incorrect conclusions and providing correct information? Trying to help the OP better understand the issue? Providing links to appropriate tests to run?

The OP was mistaken about how the Destiny 2 servers, WoW servers, and D3 servers are located - in that they are not together and Blizz does not run Destiny 2.

The conclusions the OP drew as a result were faulty.

Blizzard does not own the internet any more than a store owns the roads that lead to it. There are going to be issues along the billions of internet paths every single day, but that is not Blizzard's fault (nor any game companies) fault.

People here are happy to help players troubleshoot, but it helps a lot if the player is willing to learn a bit about how the internet works instead of just insisting that there is a magic tube connecting all points at once and if one works, the rest must work too.
05/25/2018 12:54 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Blizzard does not own the internet any more than a store owns the roads that lead to it. There are going to be issues along the billions of internet paths every single day, but that is not Blizzard's fault (nor any game companies) fault.

Faulty how? I stated I can play every game on my PC except WoW, D3, and Destiny. You still haven't mentioned how that works, then again no blue or green ever has. 2 years of the exact same dc error codes, but every other company is working fine.

There's obviously something at work here on your end and don't even make me link proof that's it's only Blizzard, I could drop 100 different thread links between WoW and D3 that are all the same error and symptoms.
05/25/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Josh
05/25/2018 12:54 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Faulty how? I stated I can play every game on my PC except WoW, D3, and Destiny. You still haven't mentioned how that works, then again no blue or green ever has. 2 years of the exact same dc error codes, but every other company is working fine.

There's obviously something at work here on your end and don't even make me link proof that's it's only Blizzard, I could drop 100 different thread links between WoW and D3 that are all the same error and symptoms.

You claim it is only Blizzard but Blizzard does not run the Destiny servers, as both the Blue and I pointed out. So that is the first big flaw there. You have issues with more than Blizzard games. You would want to take that up with Bungie.

Second, as the Blue pointed out, the D3 servers and WoW servers are not the same and are not even in the same Datacenter.

The only thing they have in common is the launcher app, but as I pointed out you can close that totally as soon as the game launches so it can't be a factor in DCs. It only handles the password verification then the rest is handled by the game servers. Shut it down if you think it is causing issues.

What you are dealing with are different physical paths to different physical locations. Just like you take different roads to each different physical location. Sometimes there are traffic jams/construction and it causes issues. Same with games. You won't notice it much on games that are not online only or on basic websites.

If you really want help looking at that pathway for the D3 game, we will be happy to review it. If you want help with Destiny you have to take it up with Bungie, as they run those servers.
@OP
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20764366614
There is a case where it WAS on Blizzards side, how was it fixed? By performing the tests and posting the results they and everyone else that is trying to help you asked for.

Help them help you or stop complaining.
Josh,

Please provide the diagnostic WinMTR report requested. If you choose not to, that's fine, but we can't offer any assistance in that case and the thread will be locked as it would no longer serve a purpose.

Commentaries, opinions, constructive suggestions and feedback all belong in our General Discussion forum, not here where we and other users are trying to help people with tech issues.
05/25/2018 01:41 PMPosted by GhostDragon
@OP
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20764366614
There is a case where it WAS on Blizzards side, how was it fixed? By performing the tests and posting the results they and everyone else that is trying to help you asked for.

Help them help you or stop complaining.

First of all, that was an extremely niche situation, second they didn't even say it was fixed just that they're working on it.

I tried downloading that trash and it refuses to install so w/e, I did it over a year ago for WoW and got the generic blue response so no point anyway.

This was the blue who replied to me after I spent a good 4-5 hours getting the data:

Looking this over it is showing a fair amount of packet loss and some pretty nasty latency spikes starting on hop 2. Unlike in the previous WinMTR these are occuring through the entire connection.

Since its starting that early in the connection it may be a problem with the connection between your modem and your ISPs local tower or due to congestion or other issues at that node. One thing I didn't realize is that Rise is a fixed wireless provider. While in most cases it should work, it is basically relying on a line of sight wireless connection and there are a lot of factors that come in to play with this kind of connection and ultimately one of the reasons we do not support any form of wireless connections. The best thing to do is to work with your ISP and hopefully they can help reduce the potential of signal drops. While most net traffic can tolerate these drops, since World of Warcraft uses TCP packets even brief hiccups can cause severe problems.

A, none of what he said makes a lick of sense besides not supporting my internet.
B, basically told to go !@#$ myself
C, no other company has this problem and It was fine until Legion dropped

Still holds true even a year later. I even asked a few questions and got no reply because I caught him in a lie. Whatever.